Thread: Composition, Size, Density

Composition, Size, Density

Is there any published data available on the likely chemical composition of KBO's? I know they are usually described as ice or dirty snowballs, but ice can come in a variety of "flavors". Also interested in what heavier trace elements might be in the mix. While only the largest bodies are visually detectable, what reliable estimates are available for the overall range of sizes? How common are 10 to 20 kilometer objects for example? Are there good estimates of mass/density available?

Most of what I find online is very general, I was hoping someone can point me to information with a little more depth.

Thanks,

OtterMan (Lee)

Hi OtterMan,

I've moved your thread from Exploring the Kuiper Belt to our general Q&A sub-forum. EKB is most specifically for questions relating to specific Citizen Science projects Cosmoquest is doing related to the Kuiper Belt. I think your thread will get more attention in our general Q&A area.

Good luck
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Hi OtterMan,

I've moved your thread from Exploring the Kuiper Belt to our general Q&A sub-forum. EKB is most specifically for questions relating to specific Citizen Science projects Cosmoquest is doing related to the Kuiper Belt. I think your thread will get more attention in our general Q&A area.

Good luck
    OK, thanks! That would have been my second choice, thought some of the 'citizen scientists' might be more likely to have this kind of info on hand. Whatever works.

I did find a good paper https://journals.uair.arizona.edu/in...le/15601/15589 here with a lot of the info I'm looking for. Would very much like to discuss some questions I have about it.

It's hard to answer your question without knowing where you looked and what you consider inadequate. For instance, why would Michael E Brown: The Compositions of Kuiper Belt Objects be lacking?

What about the articles listed here: Google Scholar: Composition of Kuiper Belt Objects ?
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    It's hard to answer your question without knowing where you looked and what you consider inadequate. For instance, why would Michael E Brown: The Compositions of Kuiper Belt Objects be lacking?

What about the articles listed here: Google Scholar: Composition of Kuiper Belt Objects ?
    I have no idea why it might be lacking as I have not seen it yet! Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out. That's kind of why I posted. Hope you didn't pull a muscle with that eye roll BTW...