Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44

Thread: $120 (Lego) Saturn V Rocket?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,266

    $120 (Lego) Saturn V Rocket?

    Here is a story on Lego's new idea. A Saturn V, with 3 stages and lander. It stands almost a meter tall. Is it worth it?

    Aw, heck yes. How about you?
    Solfe

  2. #2
    Well yeah, perfect right next to the lego death star and millennium Falcon.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2017-May-01 at 05:34 AM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Aw, heck yes. How about you?
    When I was six or seven, I used to make Saturn rockets. They were square section as I had no round bits. But they tried! I had stages, and the Apollo command and service module as best I could. I even hung "space lab" from the ceiling (off a light) using some wool, and flew missions to it.

    I also had (have, but some bits broken) this set: https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-...-moon-landing/

    Do I want this new set?

    Double-plus-yes!

    (If it comes in under $300 NZD).


    (Edit: not quite the same scale as my Lego Space Shuttle, but not so far off that they'll look silly near each other. https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Shuttle-Expedition-10231 )
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2017-May-01 at 07:26 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,195
    Younger Son mentioned last night (in an only slightly oblique way) that he's thinking of getting me one for my upcoming 60th birthday. Did I mention my additional pride that he is employed and could afford it? (Alas, we never finished that 1/350 TOS Enterprise kit before he moved away).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,766
    I never really understood the appeal of Lego - I prefer models that look as much like the real thing as possible.
    You could pick up a moderately authentic looking 1/44 model kit for a lower price, though you'd need some additional painting and assembly skills.

    Grant Hutchison

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,235
    I agree with the good doctor, but find them as tolerable as any other fad/hobby that I find harmless but don't participate in.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  7. #7
    When I was a kid most lego kits where just a group of bricks and you could build whatever you wanted. With the same kit you could build a house then tear it down and build spaceships then boats. What save Lego is that it got into doing kits licensed from TV shows and movies.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    9,264
    It was meccano in my day, lots of little screws and nuts, but I never swallowed any. Meccano constructions did not fall apart the way Lego does. I am sure it influenced my life choices towards engineering.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I never really understood the appeal of Lego - I prefer models that look as much like the real thing as possible.
    You could pick up a moderately authentic looking 1/44 model kit for a lower price, though you'd need some additional painting and assembly skills.
    Lego was my favorite toy growing up. Even once they moved from having fairly generic sets of random bricks to having sets with instructions to build some specific thing, the appeal for me (and I expect for many others) was not just building that thing and then displaying or playing with it. It was that you could later use those pieces to build other stuff of your own design. Following the instructions to build the initial set was often useful in that you'd learn techniques for things that worked well (or just things that you liked but that you might not have thought of on your own), and you could use those techniques later in other things.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,766
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    It was meccano in my day, lots of little screws and nuts, but I never swallowed any. Meccano constructions did not fall apart the way Lego does. I am sure it influenced my life choices towards engineering.
    You were either a Meccano kid or a Lego kid in my day, and I was definitely Meccano. Playground arguments over the relative merits of the two systems would frequently develop into fights, and the Meccano kids could generally demolish the Lego kids, who were by nature effete and feeble. Or so I seem to remember it.

    Grant Hutchison

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Here is a story on Lego's new idea. A Saturn V, with 3 stages and lander. It stands almost a meter tall. Is it worth it?

    Aw, heck yes. How about you?
    Thanks, Solfe. My 11 year-old grandson will, fortunately, need my assistance, which is why I appreciate learning about this cool kit.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,984
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

    the Meccano kids could generally demolish the Lego kids, who were by nature effete and feeble. Or so I seem to remember it.
    Grant Hutchison
    No fair--those metal bits are better shivs

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    16,077
    My brother and I had every (US) construction set ever made as kids, including a large Erector set. Pre-dated Lego, however. We would combine the various sets in all sorts of ways. I also had a collection of assorted wires, light bulbs, batteries, and motors which made things even more fun.
    However: The fun was in the freestyling. After you build one or two things from the instructions, you branch out. I'm not sure buying a dedicated kit for a single model is what would appeal to me.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,235
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You were either a Meccano kid or a Lego kid in my day, and I was definitely Meccano. Playground arguments over the relative merits of the two systems would frequently develop into fights, and the Meccano kids could generally demolish the Lego kids, who were by nature effete and feeble. Or so I seem to remember it.

    Grant Hutchison
    No, you remember it correctly.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My brother and I had every (US) construction set ever made as kids, including a large Erector set. Pre-dated Lego, however. We would combine the various sets in all sorts of ways. I also had a collection of assorted wires, light bulbs, batteries, and motors which made things even more fun.
    However: The fun was in the freestyling. After you build one or two things from the instructions, you branch out. I'm not sure buying a dedicated kit for a single model is what would appeal to me.
    So that is when you started building Trebuchets.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    16,077
    Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    So that is when you started building Trebuchets.
    I can only wish I knew about them at the time. That would have been awesome.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You were either a Meccano kid or a Lego kid in my day, and I was definitely Meccano. Playground arguments over the relative merits of the two systems would frequently develop into fights, and the Meccano kids could generally demolish the Lego kids, who were by nature effete and feeble. Or so I seem to remember it.
    I actually enjoyed both, though I liked Lego more. I confess to being a little perplexed that someone could really like one, but not see the point of the other (especially since your complaint about Lego, that your models won't have very realistic detail, is certainly true of Meccano as well). I thought they were both cool construction toys to play with.



    (I'm also a little surprised by the notion of getting into a fistfight with someone over which toy is better. I can't imagine having done that as a child, but maybe I'm just too effete and feeble. )
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I actually enjoyed both, though I liked Lego more. I confess to being a little perplexed that someone could really like one, but not see the point of the other (especially since your complaint about Lego, that your models won't have very realistic detail, is certainly true of Meccano as well). I thought they were both cool construction toys to play with.
    Maybe we had different Meccano and Lego sets. In my day, Lego did nothing but blocky buildings and rather sad blocky vehicles (wheels were an exciting innovation). Meccano did working cranes and windmills, and walking machines with clockwork motors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    (I'm also a little surprised by the notion of getting into a fistfight with someone over which toy is better. I can't imagine having done that as a child, but maybe I'm just too effete and feeble. )
    Really? I can't imagine not getting into a fistfight over which toy was better. What sort of namby-pamby upbringing did you have?

    Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2017-May-08 at 12:22 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Maybe we had different Meccano and Lego sets. In my day, Lego did nothing but blocky buildings and rather sad blocky vehicles (wheels were an exciting innovation). Meccano did working cranes and windmills, and walking machines with clockwork motors.
    I think I must be younger, because the Lego that I grew up with (at least toward the later part of my childhood) included not just wheels, but gears and other such sundries (I remember being particularly pleased at having universal joints, and the pieces needed to put together a functioning differential). The motors were electric (I know that someone made steam engines compatible with Meccano; I never had one of those, but it's pretty awesome that they existed at all). I know I built a functioning windmill with some of the first-generation Lego gears, because there's a picture of me at a pretty young age sitting beside it, showing it off.

    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Really? I can't imagine not getting into a fistfight over which toy was better. What sort of namby-pamby upbringing did you have?
    Huh. Glad we're having this conversation at a distance.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I think I must be younger, because the Lego that I grew up with (at least toward the later part of my childhood) included not just wheels, but gears and other such sundries (I remember being particularly pleased at having universal joints, and the pieces needed to put together a functioning differential).
    Yes, I think Lego gears didn't arrive until the mid-70s, by which time I was interested mainly in girls and beer. Wheels of various sizes appeared during the 60s.
    Whereas I had a large 1950s Meccano set, a hand-me-down from wealthier cousins, and it was full of gears and cranks and chains and pulleys, and there were little physics lessons in the manual about the concept of mechanical advantage.

    Grant Hutchison

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    3,091
    It's June 1. Guess what I bought today? I can add it to my other NASA-based sets: big MER, small MER with Delta II rocket, tiny Saturn V with CSM and LM, big LM, two different shuttles, early-stage ISS, and Hyabusa (OK, that's JAXA, not NASA).

    I also got a Yellow Submarine.

    Why buy these sets? I like assembling things. With Lego, I can do it over and over. As a kid in the '60s, my Lego set was one of the generalist sets, and I built all kinds of stuff with it. I lusted after the Technics sets, and did buy a few when I grew up and got a job. I have a tackle box full of the stuff, as well as the specialized box sets.

    Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

    "For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

    Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    It's June 1. Guess what I bought today? ...
    I'd be jealous, but "you guys" built the original so maybe fair you get the model first.

    (Supposed to be here, not seen it yet ...)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,984
    Here is a Sat V Lego build
    http://www.space.com/37050-lego-nasa...-saturn-v.html

    I'm missing a nozzle...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,682
    For any Scott Manley fans out there, he recently put a short video on his YouTube channel of his Saturn V Lego kit.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPreg-6D9c

    CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

    -They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"


    lonelybirder.org

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,072
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    For any Scott Manley fans out there, he recently put a short video on his YouTube channel of his Saturn V Lego kit.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPreg-6D9c

    CJSF
    Beat me to the punch. And yes, I'm a big Scott Manley fan.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13,162
    Our only Lego store is out of them due to high demand. I'm please to hear it but I will have to wait.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

  27. #27
    Glom's Avatar
    Glom is online now Insert awesome title here
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    11,354
    I might just do it. I'll be a nice thing for my new house.

    I could put it in the garden and let it rot like they do to Saturn V's at Johnson Space Center.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,195
    After too many years in the elements, all three surviving (at least partly flight-hardware) Saturn V's are now indoors. Huntsville has the added attraction of a vertical 1:1 scale model next door.


    In other news, since Younger Son works a shift starting at 0315, he ordered from Lego's initial batch. He couldn't stand the wait and waved my Father's Day box at me on Skype last night.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,107
    I had left my name at the local equivalent of Toys'r'us. They just called. The sets have arrived and I asked for one to be set aside.

    Will pick it up tomorrow.

    Apparently NZD $199.99, which is USD $144 (according to google), so not too bad.

    Wife's just left on a business trip, so good timing ...
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,984
    I can't wait to see some bashes with this mixed in with other kits. I used to have the LEGO LEM
    https://brickset.com/sets/565-1/Moon-Landing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •