Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is Planet Nine almost certain, probable, possible or unlikely?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    If Planet 9 is out there, here's where to look

This new study reexamines the original work in light of some of the criticism it received. One big criticism is that outer solar system bodies are difficult to find, so we look for them where it's convenient. The clustering effect we see could just be due to biased data. Taking observational bias into effect, the authors find the clustering is still statistically unusual. There's only a 0.4% chance of it being a fluke. When they recalculated the likely orbit of Planet 9, they were able to better localize where to look.
    Here is the study cited.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

A paper about a potential Planet 9 candidate in old IRAS data.

Abstract:
    I have carried out a search for Planet 9 in the IRAS data. At the distance range proposed for Planet 9, the signature would be a 60 μm unidentified IRAS point source with an associated nearby source from the IRAS Reject File of sources which received only a single hours-confirmed (HCON) detection. The confirmed source should be detected on the first two HCON passes, but not on the third, while the single HCON should be detected only on the third HCON. I have examined the unidentified sources in three IRAS 60μm catalogues: some can be identified with 2MASS galaxies, Galactic sources or as cirrus. The remaining unidentified sources have been examined with the IRSA Scanpi tool to check for the signature missing HCONs, and for association with IRAS Reject File single HCONs. No matches of interest survive. For a lower mass planet (6 5ME) in the distance range 200-400 AU, we expect a pair or triplet of single HCONs with separations 2-35 arcmin. Several hundred candidate associations are found and have been examined with Scanpi. A single candidate for Planet 9 survives which satisfies the requirements for detected and non-detected HCON passes. A fitted orbit suggest a distance of 225Ī15 AU and a mass of 3-5 ME. Dynamical simulations are needed to explore whether the candidate is consistent with existing planet ephemerides. If so, a search in an annulus of radius 2.5−4o centred on the 1983 position at visible and near infrared wavelengths would be worthwhile.
    Nice explanation video from Anton Petrov.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I don't read very many of these articles (Arvix) so I have to ask has this been peer reviewed or pending review?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I don't read very many of these articles (Arvix) so I have to ask has this been peer reviewed or pending review?
    The paper indicates Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society at the top, without an issue number, year, or page, so I assume it has been at least been submitted to that journal, which is a peer-reviewed journal. The author, Michael Rowan-Robinson, is a professor of astronomy at Imperial College London.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The paper indicates Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society at the top, without an issue number, year, or page, so I assume it has been at least been submitted to that journal, which is a peer-reviewed journal. The author, Michael Rowan-Robinson, is a professor of astronomy at Imperial College London.
    The journal at some point in time has been peer reviewed but my question has the paper been reviewed. Or are all the papers allowed published are peer reviewed?

A potential extra planet in IRAS data? How long before Nibiru hysteria starts up again?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Won't there be pre-existing WISE images of this location? In fact won't there be multiple pre-existing images of this area, e.g. from Hubble and and the various all-sky surveys, that could be used?

Actually the article answers my question about WISE:

Meissner et al (2018) carried out a search for moving
    objects in the WISE survey data, but only for 70% of sky,
    and not including the area of interest.
    The best dataset for this search is the Panstarrs ‘3 π’

The area of interest is close to the galactic plane, which is missed by some surveys.

If this candidate pans out, when can we expect confirmation? 2022? 2023? 2024?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Planet nine found? Emeritus Professor Michael Rowan-Robinson of Imperial College London new paper, A search for Planet 9 in the IRAS data, is the result of having narrowed down a search in the IRAS data to one possible candidate for a ninth planet. Prof. Rowan-Robinson was Head of the Astrophysics Group at Imperial College in London from 1993 to 2007. His work focuses on infrared astronomy and cosmology.
    Nice recent video/podcast interview with the paper's author.

Hlafordlaes:

This site can’t be reachedCheck if there is a typo in planet%20nine%20found.
    If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

If this candidate pans out, when can we expect confirmation? 2022? 2023? 2024?
    If it pans out, then yes, sometime in the next 1 to 3 years seems plausible. That's a big IF.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    If it pans out, then yes, sometime in the next 1 to 3 years seems plausible. That's a big IF.
    Too big an if, my opinion is that it will not pan out.

Hlafordlaes:

This site canít be reachedCheck if there is a typo in planet%20nine%20found.
    If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
    The "link" is just a piece of text:
    Planet nine found? Emeritus Professor Michael Rowan-Robinson of Imperial College London new paper, A search for Planet 9 in the IRAS data, is the result of having narrowed down a search in the IRAS data to one possible candidate for a ninth planet. Prof. Rowan-Robinson was Head of the Astrophysics Group at Imperial College in London from 1993 to 2007.His work focuses on infrared astronomy and cosmology.
    A search for that text turns up a YouTube video, which may or may not be the link Hlafordlaes intended to paste:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8p0baDb24Q&ab

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog