Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: China's GPS - Beidou

"China to deliver latest BeiDou positioning chip at the end of 2020"

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-09-0...GGI/index.html

A 22-nanometer chip, the latest generation of China's BeiDou high-precision positioning chip, was recently unveiled in Beijing.

The chip will be officially delivered by the end of this year and put into mass production in the first half of 2021, that can realize high-precision positioning in such fields as autonomous driving, drones and robots.

Serving as the "brain" of a navigation device, the positioning chip is the core part of satellite navigation products.

The new chip is only a quarter of the size of the last generation and consumes one-fifth of the power, said Li Nan, staff at a BeiDou chip enterprise.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Tech combo is a real game-changer for farming"

https://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/Kil...anger_999.html

Global acceptance and application of China's Beidou Navigation Satellite System will gather momentum on the back of further integration with telecom technologies like 5G and the internet of things, company executives and experts said.

Their comments came after Beidou started offering full-scale global services on July 31. More importantly, navigation technologies are increasingly intertwined with telecommunication technologies to enable more applications in transportation, energy, fishing, agriculture, city management and other areas.

"The era of Beidou as a global system is coming," said Miao Qianjun, former secretary-general of the Global Navigation Satellite System and Location-based Services Association of China, which goes by the abbreviation GLAC and was founded in 1995 to promote commercial applications of Beidou technologies.

"Just as high-speed railways, Beidou will become another high-tech name-card for China," Miao said.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Beidou has been a money generator for China. In 2019 the output value reached 345 billion yuan (about 49.5 billion U.S. dollars).

http://www.ecns.cn/news/sci-tech/202...u1732875.shtml

Despite being affected by three typhoons and the COVID-19 epidemic, Song Jilin's 20 hectares of rice on the Qixing farm, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, embraced a bumper harvest this year.

There was a lack of hands during the spring plowing season because of the epidemic, but the unmanned rice transplanters equipped with China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) helped out, Song said.

On the Qixing farm, a combine harvester guided by the BDS is shuttling between the rice fields. Zhang Jinghui, another major rice planter, said with advanced navigation technology, the harvester can work precisely with an error range of less than 2 cm. It can also work during the night to increase efficiency.

The application in precision agriculture is an example of how BDS has become a powerful impetus to boosting China's economic and social development and improving people's living conditions.

Extensively applied in various aspects of the national economy and people's lives, BDS currently provides full-scale services in sectors ranging from transportation, public security, disaster relief, and mitigation to agriculture, forestry, and city management.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Beidou gives a positioning accuracy of 1.2 meters,

http://en.people.cn/n3/2020/1015/c90000-9769439.html

China’s Beidou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) will provide free services for civilian mobile phone users with a positioning accuracy of 1.2 meters within seconds thanks to the latest Beidou high-accuracy positioning service platform released at the Beidou Summit Forum on Oct. 14.

With a 1.2 meter positioning accuracy, the platform enables lane-level vehicle positioning.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Beidou gives a positioning accuracy of 1.2 meters,

http://en.people.cn/n3/2020/1015/c90000-9769439.html
    "with a positioning accuracy of 1.2 meters within seconds"

Within seconds? That would be a little too late, wouldn't it? I mean, for even a slow lane change ...

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post

Within seconds? That would be a little too late, wouldn't it? I mean, for even a slow lane change ...
    Do not know but I expect a faster response from Waze to say you have taken a wrong turning when driving.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post

This report says the harvester can work precisely with an error range of less than 2 cm.

https://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/Chi...tions_999.html

Despite being affected by three typhoons and the COVID-19 epidemic, Song Jilin's 20 hectares of rice on the Qixing farm, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, embraced a bumper harvest this year.

There was a lack of hands during the spring plowing season because of the epidemic, but the unmanned rice transplanters equipped with China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) helped out, Song said.

On the Qixing farm, a combine harvester guided by the BDS is shuttling between the rice fields. Zhang Jinghui, another major rice planter, said with advanced navigation technology, the harvester can work precisely with an error range of less than 2 cm. It can also work during the night to increase efficiency.

The application in precision agriculture is an example of how BDS has become a powerful impetus to boosting China's economic and social development and improving people's living conditions.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Maybe the harvester can use corrections because it is moving, it should achieve an order of mag improvement by monitoring the phase shifts over time as it moves, or use other clues like hitting the fence to correct its position.? We have robot agricultural machines too, guided by gps but maybe assisted by other sensors, I would hope so!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

"BeiDou system passes verification standard of ICAO"

http://www.ecns.cn/news/sci-tech/202...x9605943.shtml

China's domestically developed BeiDou satellite navigation system, or BDS, has passed an assessment of critical standardization work at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) reported Tuesday, citing the Chinese civil aviation authority and China Satellite Navigation Office.

Chinese analysts hailed the move as significant in the promotion of the global navigation system.

All performance indicators of the system completed expert technical verification on the Sixth Navigation Systems Panel (NSP/6) of the ICAO held from November 2 to 13, which represents the completion of the core and most important work of officially incorporating the BDS-3 into the ICAO's standards.

The technical verification of BDS-3 is the first time that a BDS civil signal has been qualified by the international organization. The ICAO has the highest requirements for global navigation satellite systems, and the verification by the ICAO proves BDS-3 has the ability to provide navigation services for global civil aviation.

Wang Yanan, chief editor of Aerospace Knowledge magazine, told the Global Times that the verification is an important step in the development of the navigation system, as global airlines can now choose, as allowed by the ICAO, to incorporate the system as a source of navigation service.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"BeiDou navigation base in south China targets services in ASEAN"

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._139547563.htm

A base focusing on the utilization of China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) to better serve the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has been established in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.

The China-ASEAN BDS base is located in the regional capital of Nanning, where a forum on China-ASEAN BDS application scenarios and industrial development was held Thursday.

At the forum, which was one of the activities under the 17th China-ASEAN Expo, three agreements were signed by companies from China, Thailand, Cambodia and the Philippines outlining cooperation in the application of the BDS system.

Ran Chengqi, director of the China Satellite Navigation Office, said the service performance of the BDS system in the ASEAN area is among the best in any region worldwide.

With the BDS-3 system having been commissioned on July 31, the ASEAN countries -- Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam -- will enjoy more accurate, more reliable and more diverse and precise services provided by the BDS, said Ran.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

BeiDou used to help measure the height of mount Everest {mount Qomolangma in Tibetan) - 8,848.86 meters

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._139573748.htm

The joint announcement of the new peak height is of great significance in carrying forward the undertakings of the predecessors to the future and showcasing the high level of the continuous development of China-Nepal relations, Xi noted.

As the movements of the Indian and Eurasian plates continue, regular remeasurement of the peak needs to be updated. Theoretically, this should be done every 10 to 15 years, said Dang Yamin, who is in charge of the coordination of height measurement technologies.

The latest measurement was markedly more scientific, reliable, and innovative than the previous one in 2005 thanks to the application of multiple homegrown technologies, including the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), according to the Ministry of Natural Resources.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"China sees booming satellite navigation, positioning industry"

https://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/Chi...ustry_999.html

China's satellite navigation and positioning industry gained a total output value of 345 billion yuan (about 52.8 billion U.S. dollars) in 2019, according to the latest report.

The sector's output value is expected to hit 400 billion yuan in 2020, according to the report released by the China Satellite Navigation Office on the construction and development of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS).

Over the past decade, China has seen the total output of its satellite navigation and positioning industry grow by an annual average of more than 20 percent, read the report.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"China sees booming satellite navigation, positioning industry"

https://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/Chi...ustry_999.html
    Um ...
    As far as I can see from various news, the boom is not only in satellite navigation and not only in China.
    Now almost every country has its own space company.
    On the one hand, this is good. We, ordinary people, will be able to receive more and more quality services every day, scientists will be able to predict different things more and more accurately. But don't you think that this can lead to some other consequences? I'm afraid people might overdo it

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJo View Post
    Um ...
    As far as I can see from various news, the boom is not only in satellite navigation and not only in China.
    Now almost every country has its own space company.
    On the one hand, this is good. We, ordinary people, will be able to receive more and more quality services every day, scientists will be able to predict different things more and more accurately. But don't you think that this can lead to some other consequences? I'm afraid people might overdo it
    You need your own system if you need to depend on it. Other wise it might be turned off just when you need it most.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

You need your own system if you need to depend on it. Other wise it might be turned off just when you need it most.
    From this point of view, you are absolutely right. I would like to talk about it. But you probably need to create a separate branch. It would be very interesting for me to see the opinion of people. Why we cannot constantly rely on each other and develop in cooperation?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJo View Post
    From this point of view, you are absolutely right. I would like to talk about it. But you probably need to create a separate branch. It would be very interesting for me to see the opinion of people. Why we cannot constantly rely on each other and develop in cooperation?
    It is best to keep off, or we will stepping on some political red lines for this forum.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"China's Standardization Administration revealing 4 national standards for BDS"

http://www.ecns.cn/news/sci-tech/202...z1834936.shtml

China's Standardization Administration announced four BDS (BeiDou Navigation Satellite System) related standards, which was published on its official website, the website of BDS' WeChat account revealed on Saturday.

The four standards cover the areas of data format, digital map applications, ground-based augmentation systems, and atomic clocks.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Hi all, just joined!

May I ask something about code implementation of Beidou BDGIM ionospheric model?

Regards to all of you

Francesco

China is actively promoting its BeiDou services along its Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pa...ries-big-risks

According to a report released last month by a Chinese research firm Qianxun SI, BeiDou's satellites were observed more frequently than GPS satellites in most parts of the world. The state media Xinhua reported last Friday that BeiDou now has 500 million subscribers for its high-precision positioning services.

As an integral part of everyday life, GPS is nearly ubiquitous in the modern economy. The system is also an indispensable asset to U.S. forces at home and deployed around the globe. It provides a substantial military advantage and has been integrated into virtually every facet of military operations. Being overtaken by BeiDou could have potentially enormous implications for both high-tech industry and national security.

To promote greater use of the technology, China has sought to incentivize other countries with loans and free services. Beijing signed a roughly 2 billion yuan ($297 million) agreement with Thailand in 2013, making the country the first overseas client of BeiDou. According to a report released last month by a Shanghai-based market research firm, SWS Research, by the end of 2020, at least 1,000 base stations will be built in the 10 ASEAN countries.

"Widespread integration of BeiDou across the Belt and Road [a global development strategy adopted by the Chinese government in 2013] will ostensibly end a member nation’s reliance on the American military-run GPS network," Heath Sloane, a scholar at the Yenching Academy of Peking University, wrote in The Diplomat in April. "Torn between rival networks, the world may soon be bifurcated into GPS or BeiDou camps."
    Another article in this weeks The Space Review - "Global navigation satellite systems: a Symbiotic Realist paradigm".

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4123/1

Dr. Larry Wortzel of the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission has expressed his concern at Beidou’s two-way communication system that allows it to identify the locations of receivers, meaning that all cellular devices could potentially be tracked through continual communication with towers or satellites. Despite this, there is no doubt that Beidou is the standout choice over the popular GPS for countries in the Asia-Pacific region, which has a projected market revenue of €96.8 billion for 2025. Another very sophisticated navigation system is the Russian GLONASS system which continues to develop exceptional capabilities.

The EU maintains that there is an increasing need for all systems to remain fully compatible and interoperable, but with competition fierce between key space faring actors, does this leave adequate room for cooperation? The optimistic view, as espoused by Wang Li, an expert on China’s Beidou system, is that global users will be able to obtain more precise and reliable services when the world’s major navigation systems become compatible. The question is, what does “compatible” look like?
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by fraporfi View Post
    Hi all, just joined!

May I ask something about code implementation of Beidou BDGIM ionospheric model?

Regards to all of you

Francesco
    Found this site where you can request for the full "The BeiDou global broadcast ionospheric delay correction model (BDGIM) and its preliminary performance evaluation results"

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...uation_results
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Latest progress in China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System"

https://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/Lat...ystem_999.html

China has been making continuous progress in the satellite navigation and positioning industry with significant moves and industrial applications in more diversified fields.

The following facts and figures offer a glimpse of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) and China's latest moves to boost the sector:
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"2021 China Satellite Navigation Conference to highlight spatiotemporal data"

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._139796809.htm

The 12th China Satellite Navigation Conference in 2021 (CSNC2021) will be held in May in Nanchang, east China's Jiangxi Province, highlighting the role of spatiotemporal data, according to the China Satellite Navigation Office.

The CSNC2021 will focus on the most recent technological and industrial application achievements of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) and development trends of global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), the office said.

The three-day conference, held from May 26 to 28, will feature high-level forums, academic exchanges and exhibitions.

It will invite top experts and industry insiders from both home and abroad in the GNSS sector to exchange ideas on frontier topics and explore breakthroughs in industrial applications.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"BDS-3 system facilitates public transportation in east China's Nanchang"

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._139943298.htm

High-resolution terminal devices of China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) have been installed in public buses in the city of Nanchang, east China's Jiangxi Province, local authorities said Thursday.

Installation of the sub-meter level positioning equipment, which took less than 10 minutes on each bus, is expected to offer real-time information with high accuracy.

In remote areas outside the coverage of conventional telecommunications network, the device can activate the emergency communication function realized through the BDS-3 system and accurately upload location information of the buses.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Satellite navigation, positioning services valued at 403.3 b yuan"

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20210...d0babfcf0.html

By the end of 2020, the overall value of satellite-enabled navigation and positioning services in China was 403.3 billion yuan ($62.8 billion), with a 16.9-percent increase year-on-year, according to a white paper published on Tuesday in Beijing.

The 2021 White Paper on the Development of China's Satellite Navigation and Positioning Industries, compiled by the Global Navigation Satellite System and Location-Based Services Association of China, said chips, equipment, software, data and infrastructure businesses saw an 11-percent increase compared with 2019.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"China's Beidou-related industry estimated to top 1 trln yuan by 2025"

http://www.ecns.cn/news/sci-tech/202...u6722682.shtml

The value of industries related to China's homegrown BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) is estimated to exceed 1 trillion yuan (about 156.4 billion U.S. dollars) by 2025, said an official with the country's satellite navigation administration.

The figure was revealed by Yang Jun, deputy director of China's Satellite Navigation System Management Office, at the three-day 12th China Satellite Navigation Conference that opened Wednesday in Nanchang, capital of east China's Jiangxi Province.

China has fostered a complete and independent industrial chain for developing BDS and has exported BDS-powered products to more than 120 countries and regions, Yang said.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

At the three-day 12th China Satellite Navigation Conference, photos of some of the exabits.

http://www.ecns.cn/hd/2021-05-27/det...6722837.shtml#

The expo covers 18,000 square meters. More than 100 enterprises and units have brought their advanced products and developments to the exhibition.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

CNBC on "China races to rival the U.S. with its own GPS system — but one analyst says it won’t overtake the U.S. yet"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/01/tech...es-us-gps.html

China is set to become a major player in the “highly lucrative” satellite navigation market, as it seeks to compete with the U.S. government-owned Global Positioning System (GPS), an analyst said Monday.

But China’s homegrown Beidou system is not likely to overtake the GPS system for now, said Craig Singleton, adjunct fellow at the hawkish Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

“China has marked a major step in its race to increase market share in this highly lucrative sector,” Singleton told CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia.”
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"China's Beidou system offers 7 different user services"

http://www.ecns.cn/news/2021-09-10/d...s7012966.shtml

China's Beidou Navigation Satellite System, the BDS-3, can provide up to seven different services to users, a senior official said at a news conference on Wednesday.

BDS-3's constellation network consists of 55 satellites deployed into three different orbital heights, a megaproject that spanned over two decades.

"Since its formal commission in July 2020, BDS-3 has maintained steady operation and top-class service performance," said Chen Gucang, deputy director of the China Satellite Navigation Office.

Aside from standard navigation, positioning and timing service, the system also offers global and regional short message communication, international search-and-rescue, precise point positioning, satellite based augmentation and ground-based augmentation services, Chen said.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Enhanced BeiDou short message service displayed at int'l summit"

https://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/Enh...ummit_999.html

An enhanced version of BeiDou short message service was showcased at the First International Summit on BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) Applications held in Changsha, central China's Hunan Province, Thursday.

The new technology enables two-way communication on mobile phones in areas not covered by ordinary mobile communication signals or when base stations are damaged, which proves useful during earthquake relief, offshore fishing and emergency communication.

"Short message service needed a larger satellite terminal such as maritime satellite phone. But the enhanced version's 'low power consumption' feature enables mobile phones to send emergency messages through BeiDou satellites even without ground mobile communication signals," said Li Jingyuan, director of the BeiDou short message team at National University of Defense Technology (NUDT).
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Astronomical rise in demand for satellite positioning services seen"

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20211...39bc6e2c5.html

By the end of 2020, the overall value of satellite-enabled navigation and positioning services in China stood at 403.3 billion yuan ($62.8 billion), a 16.9-percent increase year-on-year, according to statistics revealed at an ongoing industry conference.

Figures released by the Global Navigation Satellite System and Location-Based Services Association of China at the China Beidou System Applications Conference showed that with the Beidou Navigation Satellite System completed and rapidly expanding its presence in the public and commercial sectors, the market value of navigation, positioning and timing services is expected to increase by as much as 1,000 billion yuan ($155 billion) each year by 2025.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)