Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: China's GPS - Beidou

"China to deliver latest BeiDou positioning chip at the end of 2020"

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-09-0...GGI/index.html

A 22-nanometer chip, the latest generation of China's BeiDou high-precision positioning chip, was recently unveiled in Beijing.

The chip will be officially delivered by the end of this year and put into mass production in the first half of 2021, that can realize high-precision positioning in such fields as autonomous driving, drones and robots.

Serving as the "brain" of a navigation device, the positioning chip is the core part of satellite navigation products.

The new chip is only a quarter of the size of the last generation and consumes one-fifth of the power, said Li Nan, staff at a BeiDou chip enterprise.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Tech combo is a real game-changer for farming"

https://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/Kil...anger_999.html

Global acceptance and application of China's Beidou Navigation Satellite System will gather momentum on the back of further integration with telecom technologies like 5G and the internet of things, company executives and experts said.

Their comments came after Beidou started offering full-scale global services on July 31. More importantly, navigation technologies are increasingly intertwined with telecommunication technologies to enable more applications in transportation, energy, fishing, agriculture, city management and other areas.

"The era of Beidou as a global system is coming," said Miao Qianjun, former secretary-general of the Global Navigation Satellite System and Location-based Services Association of China, which goes by the abbreviation GLAC and was founded in 1995 to promote commercial applications of Beidou technologies.

"Just as high-speed railways, Beidou will become another high-tech name-card for China," Miao said.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Beidou has been a money generator for China. In 2019 the output value reached 345 billion yuan (about 49.5 billion U.S. dollars).

http://www.ecns.cn/news/sci-tech/202...u1732875.shtml

Despite being affected by three typhoons and the COVID-19 epidemic, Song Jilin's 20 hectares of rice on the Qixing farm, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, embraced a bumper harvest this year.

There was a lack of hands during the spring plowing season because of the epidemic, but the unmanned rice transplanters equipped with China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) helped out, Song said.

On the Qixing farm, a combine harvester guided by the BDS is shuttling between the rice fields. Zhang Jinghui, another major rice planter, said with advanced navigation technology, the harvester can work precisely with an error range of less than 2 cm. It can also work during the night to increase efficiency.

The application in precision agriculture is an example of how BDS has become a powerful impetus to boosting China's economic and social development and improving people's living conditions.

Extensively applied in various aspects of the national economy and people's lives, BDS currently provides full-scale services in sectors ranging from transportation, public security, disaster relief, and mitigation to agriculture, forestry, and city management.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Beidou gives a positioning accuracy of 1.2 meters,

http://en.people.cn/n3/2020/1015/c90000-9769439.html

China’s Beidou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) will provide free services for civilian mobile phone users with a positioning accuracy of 1.2 meters within seconds thanks to the latest Beidou high-accuracy positioning service platform released at the Beidou Summit Forum on Oct. 14.

With a 1.2 meter positioning accuracy, the platform enables lane-level vehicle positioning.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Beidou gives a positioning accuracy of 1.2 meters,

http://en.people.cn/n3/2020/1015/c90000-9769439.html
    "with a positioning accuracy of 1.2 meters within seconds"

Within seconds? That would be a little too late, wouldn't it? I mean, for even a slow lane change ...

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post

Within seconds? That would be a little too late, wouldn't it? I mean, for even a slow lane change ...
    Do not know but I expect a faster response from Waze to say you have taken a wrong turning when driving.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post

This report says the harvester can work precisely with an error range of less than 2 cm.

https://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/Chi...tions_999.html

Despite being affected by three typhoons and the COVID-19 epidemic, Song Jilin's 20 hectares of rice on the Qixing farm, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, embraced a bumper harvest this year.

There was a lack of hands during the spring plowing season because of the epidemic, but the unmanned rice transplanters equipped with China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) helped out, Song said.

On the Qixing farm, a combine harvester guided by the BDS is shuttling between the rice fields. Zhang Jinghui, another major rice planter, said with advanced navigation technology, the harvester can work precisely with an error range of less than 2 cm. It can also work during the night to increase efficiency.

The application in precision agriculture is an example of how BDS has become a powerful impetus to boosting China's economic and social development and improving people's living conditions.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Maybe the harvester can use corrections because it is moving, it should achieve an order of mag improvement by monitoring the phase shifts over time as it moves, or use other clues like hitting the fence to correct its position.? We have robot agricultural machines too, guided by gps but maybe assisted by other sensors, I would hope so!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

"BeiDou system passes verification standard of ICAO"

http://www.ecns.cn/news/sci-tech/202...x9605943.shtml

China's domestically developed BeiDou satellite navigation system, or BDS, has passed an assessment of critical standardization work at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) reported Tuesday, citing the Chinese civil aviation authority and China Satellite Navigation Office.

Chinese analysts hailed the move as significant in the promotion of the global navigation system.

All performance indicators of the system completed expert technical verification on the Sixth Navigation Systems Panel (NSP/6) of the ICAO held from November 2 to 13, which represents the completion of the core and most important work of officially incorporating the BDS-3 into the ICAO's standards.

The technical verification of BDS-3 is the first time that a BDS civil signal has been qualified by the international organization. The ICAO has the highest requirements for global navigation satellite systems, and the verification by the ICAO proves BDS-3 has the ability to provide navigation services for global civil aviation.

Wang Yanan, chief editor of Aerospace Knowledge magazine, told the Global Times that the verification is an important step in the development of the navigation system, as global airlines can now choose, as allowed by the ICAO, to incorporate the system as a source of navigation service.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"BeiDou navigation base in south China targets services in ASEAN"

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._139547563.htm

A base focusing on the utilization of China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) to better serve the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has been established in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.

The China-ASEAN BDS base is located in the regional capital of Nanning, where a forum on China-ASEAN BDS application scenarios and industrial development was held Thursday.

At the forum, which was one of the activities under the 17th China-ASEAN Expo, three agreements were signed by companies from China, Thailand, Cambodia and the Philippines outlining cooperation in the application of the BDS system.

Ran Chengqi, director of the China Satellite Navigation Office, said the service performance of the BDS system in the ASEAN area is among the best in any region worldwide.

With the BDS-3 system having been commissioned on July 31, the ASEAN countries -- Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam -- will enjoy more accurate, more reliable and more diverse and precise services provided by the BDS, said Ran.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)