Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha Eatin?

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Went over to the Star Inn at Harome near Helmesley for lunch.

Starter - Carpaccio of Malt Whisky Barrel-smoked Fallow Deer with Pickled Walnuts,
    Haggis Bonbon and Blood Orange Preserve, Foraged Berries, Juniper Crispbread.

Main - Ale-braised Shin of Village Reared Beef with Pickled Ox Tongue,
    Shimeji Mushroom, Parsley and Capers, Fresh Horseradish, Salsify ‘Tagliatelle’

I was driving so just mineral water.

It was a good chance to wear my Barbour Country Brogues, Just had new soles put on them by the Ilkley Shoe Company.
    Sounds great, expect the Haggis Bonbon, can't imagine what it would be, chocolates filled with sheep entrails?

Plus the mineral water doesn't sound so great. But you were driving, so I guess it can't be helped.
    As above, so below

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Tonight's dinner was bacon sautéd broccoli, eggplant, and radicchio along with lamb (left over from the grilled leg last weekend) and mushrooms simmered in hard cider over rotini. Not too bad, but no more radicchio for us - 1st time we tried t and we all found it somewhat bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Sounds great, expect the Haggis Bonbon, can't imagine what it would be, chocolates filled with sheep entrails?

Plus the mineral water doesn't sound so great. But you were driving, so I guess it can't be helped.
    Haggis puree formed in to little balls.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Pizza with spinach and smoked salmon as topping

I recently found a used copy of Paul Newman's Cookbook . It reads pretty well . Quite a remarkable collection of recipes
    from an amazing bunch of celebrities in addition to many of his own including his famous party popcorn and his
    great salad dressing . Unnnnnn...doggies.

For tonight's dinner, I made fried polenta with marinara, Italian sausage, and sautéed crimini mushrooms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

...and since I prepared too much polenta, we had it again for breakfast with scrambled eggs and chives, with bacon.

Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ...and since I prepared too much polenta, we had it again for breakfast with scrambled eggs and chives, with bacon.
    It's been ages since I prepared a polenta dish, but (12 years ago?) first dish I made used recipe on back of a roll of store-bought polenta; a delicate cream sauce. Must have been Beginner's Luck, because second and third tries ... I still cannot duplicate that sauce.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Just tried cold smoking cheese for the first time. Not awesome, but good enough that I'll try again.

Tonight I'm in a hurry so it's Costco chicken salad and some grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Tonight I'm in a hurry so it's Costco chicken salad and some grapes.
    Got some to spare?

I just had a raw carrot. :-]

Sure, it's a new pack. Costco sized too. . You just have to come to Atlanta.

Trip to Hadrians Wall to visit Chesters Fort and the Temple of Mithras at Carrowburgh.
    Lunch at the Wheatsheaf in Corbridge. a welcome return.

Lambs Liver, Herby Mash with a Caramalised Onion and Red Wine Sauce.

Pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord Bitter.
    All Moderation in Purple

Raw herring and stroopwafels already today I think i might be Dutch, but my passport has some sort of statement in French so a bit unsure right now
    "Downwards is the only way forwards" Cobb

Noting in science is proven actual

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Ok, maybe the cheese is better than I thought... I'd smoked about 5 pounds, but only had 2 pounds in the fridge on Saturday...

Whatcha Eatin?

This past weekend, smoked brisket.
    Tonight, smoked brisket.
    Tomorrow, smoked brisket.
    Wednesday...you get the theme.

Saturday night: Buffalo wings and beer-battered onion rings.
    Sunday night: Dinner at a friends' place. They cooked the steak, we brought the potato salad.

hamburger with feta cheese inside.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

For our mumblety-fifth anniversary, Mrs M and I went to the "world famous" Dixie Crossroads seafood restaurant in Titusville FL. We drove through part of the Kennedy Space Center to get there.

Nice place. For a very small fortune, she got these giant crab legs, and I had three dozen fried shrimp. (Well, almost: Took home a doggy bag for our cats.)

The Wife and I both like to cook. She has her "thing" and I have mine, which includes our Sunday morning breakfast routine. This morning, it's one of her favorites: Southern buttermilk biscuits and sawmill gravy.

21. 2016-Jun-19, 04:58 PM

My breakfast this morning: A golden pecan waffle with scrambled egg & picante on the side.

Now: Water.

Spinach salad, with sauteed balsamic, sauteed portobellos, bacon, and HB eggs. Dinner and breakfast all in one!

Edit: Sauteed balsamic? Did I really type that?
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2016-Jun-24 at 01:59 AM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I have actually managed to learn a new thing to cook - BBQ pork chops and baked potatoes on the grill. It isn't bad and is easy to make.

My BBQ sauce is simple and three parts.
    Base:
    One cup of cider vinegar and 2 cups of brown sugar.
    Liquids:
    1/2 cup of pineapple juice and 1/2 cup of soy sauce*. I like a splash of Worcestershire sauce*, but I haven't worked out how much. I've had some luck with an actual splash, when I measure, even a 1/4 teaspoon is too much.
    Optional extras or used to taste:
    One teaspoon of black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of salt*, add water to reach you desired thickness.

I cheat on the baked potatoes and bake them for 45 minutes the night before, place them in the microwave for 3 minutes before I fire up the grill. Then I wrap them in foil and drop them on the top rack in the grill before the meat.

You can also cube chicken or pork and marinade them overnight. Cook in a wok or skewer them with peppers, pineapple and onion and drop them on the grill. I'm doing this for tomorrow. My kids "hate" onions, so what basically happens is I cook the skewers with onions on them, then tear the onions off the kids servings. They have no idea and it tastes better. Basically, they like onion flavor, but dislike the look or texture. My wife doesn't like them either, but she picks out her onions from her own food. The pain of being and adult.

*If you omit all of the starred items and replace them with a cup of water (or olive oil), it's close to salt and iodine free. You can zing it up with Mrs. Dash, or a squeeze of lime or lemon. It works nicely in a crock pot served with spinach over rice or noodles.
    Solfe

Wheat toast with Skippy peanut butter and grape jam. Skim milk.

Made cinnamon raisin french toast this am . Unnnnn......doggies .

This month was the Pipe and Glass at South Dalton

Starter A little jar of potted pork, sticky apple and crackling salad,
    warm spelt toast.

Main Roast rump of lamb with barley, beer and broad bean risotto,
    spring vegetables, mutton belly fritter, nettle and mint sauce.
    All Moderation in Purple

I like buying koulouri in cafes or bakeries on the way home from the dig as an afternoon snack-- they're crunchy rings of baked bread covered with sesame (or sometimes pumpkin nowadays) seeds, kind of like a harder bagel with a bigger hole.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Kai, that sounds yummy!

We're not eating it yet, as it's not done, but I have about 4 lbs of swiss & cheddar cheese in the smoker - apple smoke & garlic rub. Hope it works!

Both sound good.

It's turkey chili for me tonight - and a couple of days - probably good I live alone.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

I think I hate you all.

Note to self: Download some meal pics from last month's road trip.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.