Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1271

Thread: Whatcha Eatin?

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Cool. Looks like a species of Streptopus. We call them "twisted stalk" here. I'd never have thought to pick them.

ETA.
    Meanwhile, I've made four jars of an infusion of saskatoon and vodka. The drink goes down easily, and I think the berries will go well with vanilla ice cream, but I'm out too.
    Last edited by Torsten; 2021-Aug-17 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Cool. Looks like a species of Streptopus. We call them "twisted stalk" here. I'd never have thought to pick them.
    I bet it tastes better than streptococcus.
    As above, so below

I had a meal of bacon, eggs, toast and sliced tomato. The one unusual thing here was the tomato - store tomatoes usually have almost no flavor. Tomatoes are one thing I feel are worth the work of a home garden, but I didn’t set one up in time. So I tried heirloom tomatoes. I’ve heard mixed things about them - it’s said that sometimes they can be really flavorful but other times blah depending on who grows them, and there is a serious premium price, which is why I’ve been reluctant to try them.

Anyway, in this particular case, I can say there was more flavor than I’ve ever gotten from a store tomato but still not a match for a good ripe home grown tomato. Ultimately, I did enjoy it with a bit of salt and pepper. I’m not sure if I liked it enough to keep paying the price premium, though.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I had a meal of bacon, eggs, toast and sliced tomato. The one unusual thing here was the tomato - store tomatoes usually have almost no flavor. Tomatoes are one thing I feel are worth the work of a home garden, but I didnít set one up in time. So I tried heirloom tomatoes. Iíve heard mixed things about them - itís said that sometimes they can be really flavorful but other times blah depending on who grows them, and there is a serious premium price, which is why Iíve been reluctant to try them.

Anyway, in this particular case, I can say there was more flavor than Iíve ever gotten from a store tomato but still not a match for a good ripe home grown tomato. Ultimately, I did enjoy it with a bit of salt and pepper. Iím not sure if I liked it enough to keep paying the price premium, though.
    I had just a cheese sandwich. With slices of homegrown tomato!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My daughter has been picking tomatoes off the plants she put up this year. They have a wonderfully deep red colour and rich flavour - so much better than anything from the store - and I've been enjoying them on sandwiches too.

We haven't had many tomatoes, but the few have been good. Next year I'll start with bigger plants. It's quite amazing how much less air the homegrown ones have in them than the store ones.

Whatcha Eatin?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We haven't had many tomatoes, but the few have been good. Next year I'll start with bigger plants. It's quite amazing how much less air the homegrown ones have in them than the store ones.
    I had access to a community garden this year (about 32 square feet to myself) so I grew tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. The tomatoes got hit with a fungus/blight that infested the capillary system and prevents water from reaching the upper growth. I harvested some fruit but not all that much; a couple of plants never saw July. But the fruit was good! And the peppers are going crazy.

We were having some of my old (very appropriate these days) work friends and spouses over yesterday for a catch up lunch. All of us like 'Indian Food so we planned the meal around that. My wife also decided that she wanted to enjoy the day without working too hard so instead of her doing a lot of cooking we ordered most of the food from a newly opened restaurant near us. All of it was lovely and a good time was had by all. We however did end up with a lot of leftovers but my daughter was delighted to have some for her evening meal.

So from the top -:

Chicken Dum Biriyani & plain rice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Food2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	26406

Burhani Goat Curry & Sabz Korma (Mixed vegetables in a tomato based gravy"

Name:	Food3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	26407

Macher Jhol (Fish Curry) & Jeera Aloo (Cumin Potatoes)

Name:	Food1.jpg 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	26408

Pachadi Salad with a spiced Yoghurt topping

Name:	Food.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	26415

There was also some Dal Bukhara & Paratha's. We then moved onto deserts.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Aug-27 at 06:30 AM.

Following on with deserts.

Fruit - Jackfruit (the yellow ones), Rambutan (similar to Lychees but a lot nicer) stuffed with Pineapple, Strawberries & Blueberries

Name:	Food4.jpg 
Size:	357.0 KB 
ID:	26411

My wife did make some Sooji Kheer - Semolina pudding made with Milk, Coconut Milk, Eggs, Vanilla Essence, Sugar, Cardamom and Saffron. Topped with Almond flakes and Cranberries.

Name:	Food6.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	26412

Gulab Jamun "soft delicious berry sized balls made of milk solids, flour & a leavening agent. These are soaked in rose flavored (sic) sugar syrup"

Name:	Food5.jpg 
Size:	389.8 KB 
ID:	26413

Then we finished off with some Indian Cookies. The round ones are Coconut and the others are Cumin. There was also some Mukhwas - "a colorful South Asian after-meal snack or digestive aid widely used as a mouth freshener, especially after meals. ... It can be made of various seeds" - mainly Fennel & Coriander

Name:	Food7.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	337.3 KB 
ID:	26414
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Aug-27 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Following on with deserts.

Fruit - Jackfruit (the yellow ones), Rambutan (similar to Lychees but a lot nicer) stuffed with Pineapple, Strawberries & Blueberries
    I'm just wondering about rambutan, in which way they are a "lot nicer" than lychees. I'm just asking because I really like lychees a lot. It's kind of like saying, "similar to peaches but a lot nicer."
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm just wondering about rambutan, in which way they are a "lot nicer" than lychees. I'm just asking because I really like lychees a lot. It's kind of like saying, "similar to peaches but a lot nicer."
    Well that is obviously my opinion but these quotes off the Net seem about right to me. I just find lychees a bit too florally perhaps? I also find Rambutan looks much more interesting and inviting than lychees before they are peeled. Obviously you will have to do a scientific taste test one day if you can get hold of some Rambutan.

"Another difference between the two tropical fruits is the taste. Rambutan has a richer and creamier taste that is often described as sweet with a hint of sourness. On the other hand, the white translucent flesh of a lychee is not as sweet and creamy. It has a crisper bite and a floral taste"

"In terms of taste, rambutans have a sharper more acidic note to their sweetness while lychees have a milder, more floral note to them. Lychee fruit is usually juicier and more succulent than rambutan."

"The taste of rambutan is slightly different from that of lychee. Rambutan has a creamier taste, which carries a much richer flavor. The sweetness of rambutan plays perfectly with the sourness that it can sometimes have as well."

I couple of tomato and basil sandwiches, tomatoes and basil from the garden.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Breakfast this morning was French toast, made using The Wifeís bread machine brioche. Bacon on the side.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Iím trying one of the meal kit delivery services. The service I picked has relatively simple and inexpensive recipes but they still cost more than if you buy the ingredients yourself and they are still more work than I usually put into dinners. So why am I doing it? Iím not much for cooking, and left to my own devices, I tend to avoid new recipes and my eyes glaze over if they have too many steps, but it gets boring. This makes it easier, since they provide the amount of ingredients necessary without a lot of waste or extra runs to the store. Basically itís like training wheels for trying out new cooking, and the food is left at my door so no store runs for these either.

So far, the meals have been decent but not spectacular, though they are a change and Iím getting ideas for non-kit meals. Iím much slower than the time they suggest it can be done in, but so far I havenít made any mistakes either. I expect Iíll stop the kits sooner or later, but only after I try a number of recipes. Iím also thinking of moving on to another meal kit supplier after Iíve done these for awhile and tried out a decent number of their recipes.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A couple of sausages, has with potatoes with green and yellow beans from the garden and some three bean salad. This is after over 22,000 thousand steps while working at the auction, plus I planted them so I worked for some of the meal at least twice.

Gonna cook yet another pork chop. We've been doing that a lot the past year or so! Boneless chop about 8 oz split 60-40 between us.

I decided to try "poaching" an egg in the microwave for breakfast. As suggested by the internet, I poked the yolk once so it wouldn't explode and ran for one minute. Success, other than the yolk being firmer than I'd have preferred. I'll try 45 seconds next time.

The trick to poaching an egg in water is to add a bit of white vinegar to the water. It reduces the fringe.

The kids and I are fire-eaters, love those blazing hot peppers. Also horseradish, etc.

Horseradish and capsaicins are, of course, entirely different forms of "hot". And I love both!
    I might just nuke another egg tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Horseradish and capsaicins are, of course, entirely different forms of "hot". And I love both!
    I haven’t had horseradish for a long time and remember not liking it, though I might try it again just to check. I like peppers well enough though. I like a lot of Mexican dishes.

On the chemical heat sensation, I remember reading there are at least three independent chemical pathways that plants have developed that produce that sensation. All are thought to have evolved as a defense mechanism that causes mammals (but not birds) to avoid them. Naturally, they attract us weird humans instead.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I haven’t had horseradish for a long time and remember not liking it, though I might try it again just to check. I like peppers well enough though. I like a lot of Mexican dishes.

On the chemical heat sensation, I remember reading there are at least three independent chemical pathways that plants have developed that produce that sensation. All are thought to have evolved as a defense mechanism that causes mammals (but not birds) to avoid them. Naturally, they attract us weird humans instead.
    Stuffy sinuses? Horseradish will make it all better!
    Just don't plant it in your garden. Seriously, just don't. If you must, plant it in an inverted dome of high tensile steel armor plate. With about six inches of steel above the earth both inside and outside. And maybe set the steel bowl into several feet of concrete.
    Really, the stuff is seriously invasive. When we bought our place int 1997, the previous owner showed me around the garden and showed me where he planted it, while expressing some reservations. I started removing it less than a year later. Took about five years to get rid of it for good. The final areal of concern was about 20 feet in diameter.

So I’m continuing with my meal kits. I’ve done more cooking over a short period than, well, ever. I mean, I typically go with something extra quick and simple or make something that will provide meals for a few days, like a baked chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetable beef stew, green pea soup with ham, etc. with a salad or veggies on the side. When I worked, I often ate out or bought something cooked to bring home. These meal kits mean daily, significant cooking. On the positive side, I’m already improving in speed and trying out things I haven’t before, or at least don’t remember if I did (like making asian style dishes with fresh ginger, or roasting Brussel sprouts, which can be pretty good if cooked well enough, but also can be quite bitter if not, which is likely why I avoided them previously). Also, I picked some premium cost dinners with steak, which were pretty good, but I’ve now had more steak over a short period than I’ve had in years, and want to take a break from those too.

It is convenient to have the kits show up at the front door on a weekly basis, as I have a variety of dinners without the details of grocery store buying. On the other hand, I think I’ll take a week break from the kits soon as the cooking is becoming a chore that I’m starting to delay and avoid. The meals are pretty filling, but I’ve been eating fewer snacks lately too, so that more or less evened out.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Some leftover spaghetti that I took to the polls but didn't eat now time to watch the results of the election.

Pulled pork sandwich with tomato(everything has tomato right now), cheese and mustard ,with squash after unloading the auction company truck. This morning cereal and a muffin and later got a cup of coffee before getting to work.

Fish (cod fillet) and chips.

Turkey dinner leftover wraps with chimichurri sauce.

Cheese and crackers.

Tonight a hambuger stuffed with hot peppers and cheese with ginger and wasabi mixed into the ground beef on the side a microwaved potato that were grown in the garden.

Shellfish ain't kosher, so I bought popcorn shrimp.

For some reason I woke up craving potatoes, maybe my Irish/Scottish blood, so I microwaves some small potatoes and now having some sliced tomatoes both are from the garden. The tomatoes ripened off indoors.