Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kuiper Belt Extended Mission (KEM) (Ex New Horizons)

Alan Stern on "The 15th Anniversary of New Horizons Leaving Earth"

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/T...k_You_999.html

New Horizons is healthy and continues to send data back from the Kuiper Belt, even as it speeds farther and farther from the Earth and the Sun.

But the mission's jam-packed plans for new Kuiper Belt exploration this year are not the subject of this PI Perspective. Instead, I want to concentrate on a very special anniversary, taking place today - our 15th anniversary of launch!

That's right, New Horizons lifted into skies above the Florida coast -from the same Cape Canaveral pad used to launch NASA's storied Voyagers-at 2 pm Eastern Time on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2006. I witnessed the launch from the launch control center and gave my final "GO" as the mission principal investigator to proceed less than a minute before our Atlas V rocket ignited.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Allen Stern's writes on the next mile stone for New Horizons. Hitting the 50 astronomical units (AU) from the Sun next month.

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/T..._Home_999.html

New Horizons remains healthy and continues to send valuable data from the Kuiper Belt, even as it speeds farther and farther from Earth and the Sun.

I'm going to focus this PI's Perspective on a major upcoming mission mile marker - namely, New Horizons being 50 astronomical units (AU) from the Sun next month. But first, some mission news.

Our biggest news is that most of our latest flight software upgrades, which will provide new scientific capabilities on the spacecraft, are in final test and on track to be uplinked in July. In fact, one of those updates, for our solar wind instrument called SWAP, is already aboard the spacecraft - and being used to produce new science! That software, transmitted to New Horizons in mid-February and tested for a week at the end of February, allows us to see much finer structures in the solar wind as we plow toward the heliopause, the outer edge of the heliosphere that surrounds the solar system.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)