Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Happened to Anime?

I remember its first fun on Toonami many years ago. The ship has grappler arms.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    I haven't heard "Japanimation" since the internet was the Information Superhighway.
    Wahhh-oooo-Wahhhhh-ooo!

I used to use the term, back when people generally didn't know what Anime was.
    Solfe

I bought a bunch of old-school anime on DVD, and I'll give reviews as I finish titles.

First up, Dominion: Tank Police

A blast from 1988, a sci-fi action-comedy set in a dystopic, polluted future (2010) that is so crime-ridden that the police use, you guessed it, tanks. When I wasn't laughing, I had a smile on my face. Unfortunately, if you want to own it on DVD you're going to have to pay for it--the DVDs have been out of print for a while. I got lucky and found it on eBay for $43. The Amazon price is heart-stopping. A kind soul has uploaded the four OVAs to YouTube; I'd give a link, but the content isn't appropriate for young eyes.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    I bought a bunch of old-school anime on DVD, and I'll give reviews as I finish titles.

First up, Dominion: Tank Police

A blast from 1988, a sci-fi action-comedy set in a dystopic, polluted future (2010) that is so crime-ridden that the police use, you guessed it, tanks. When I wasn't laughing, I had a smile on my face. Unfortunately, if you want to own it on DVD you're going to have to pay for it--the DVDs have been out of print for a while. I got lucky and found it on eBay for $43. The Amazon price is heart-stopping. A kind soul has uploaded the four OVAs to YouTube; I'd give a link, but the content isn't appropriate for young eyes.
    A local, non-chain had the first episode on VHS, back when VHS was just barely a thing, and they rented it to me without batting an eye.
    In the words of the Warner Brothers, Helloooooooo (fake) nurse(es)!

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_cry View Post
    A local, non-chain had the first episode on VHS, back when VHS was just barely a thing, and they rented it to me without batting an eye.
    In the words of the Warner Brothers, Helloooooooo (fake) nurse(es)!
    Ah... Animaniacs! My wife loves that show and being a nurse, her tag is ¨Helloooooo, Nurse!¨ Even her coworkers say it to her. Good thing she is cool with that.
    Solfe

try

Knights of Sidonia
    Blame!
    Godzilla: planet of the monsters

modern animation, hard sci-fi (kind of).

The anime movie 'Demon Slayer' broke box office records. That shouldn't come as a surprise.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/anime-mov...204214719.html

Based on Netflix offerings, anime is booming outside Japan.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Based on Netflix offerings, anime is booming outside Japan.
    Yes, it is. I don’t think I was on the board when this thread was started, and sadly it looks like SkepticJ hasn’t been posting for almost two years.

A couple things that weren’t mentioned in this thread: Anime in the US had a boom when DVDs took off. A lot of series got English VAs, and the DVD producers focused on series that would more likely appeal to people here, so for awhile we were getting the more interesting anime series. But there were only so many of those, and quality of new releases dropped. Then around 2008 there was the Great Recession and that was also when DVDs were seriously losing ground to streaming. Oh, and not exactly legal fansub streaming sites started growing. That caused a collapse of companies that had been doing the English VA work and making DVDs. It also meant less money going to Japanese Anime companies. All that caused a big drop in good series.

There is also the issue that most anime shows have 12 or 24 episodes each about 25 minutes long. There are only so many original stories that can be developed and will fit within those limitations, so when someone finds a type of story that sells, many others copy it with limited variations. A lot of series tell pretty much the same story.

All in all, in combination with personal tastes, it means only a limited amount of anime will appeal to a person and it has always been that way. It just seemed different early on when we were mostly getting the best selection and when it was a new medium to us (now that I’m used to a lot of anime tropes some of the early stuff that appealed to me is no longer terribly impressive).

Anyway, anime has recovered quite a bit from the DVD collapse and recession days, with companies now bidding on streaming rights. Still only so many interesting series though. For instance, I tend to focus on series with adult characters and that’s always been a small percentage of anime.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    For instance, I tend to focus on series with adult characters and that’s always been a small percentage of anime.
    I can only stomach so much High School drama for so long, especially the kind of over the top melodrama popular in teen-protagonist anime. When you ride a giant robot to defend the Earth against invaders, who cares whose lunch table you get to sit at afterwards?

The Hollywood box office is still down, it might never record to its old levels. I don't know if the same trend will happen with Cartoons and Animation but the US comic is now replaced by the Japan comic. Something very strange has just happened to American comics, all the Superman style sales and Captain America style sales seem to have flopped. All of Marvel and DC is down while all the new comicbooks now are Japanese.
    https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...graphic-novels
    'Literally every book in the top 20 was a volume of manga'
    https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/...-in-hollywood/
    '19 of the top 20 graphic novels from April are all manga'
    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._139921306.htm
    Japanese anime film "Demon Slayer: Mugen Train" tops North American weekend box office
    https://goodereader.com/blog/manga-a...-start-in-2021
    Jpn Manga sales off to a strong start in 2021
    https://comicbook.com/anime/news/man...tateside-2021/
    Manga Is Causing an "Explosion" in Graphic Novel Sales Stateside

Superheroes have moved on to other media, live action movies and TV mostly. They're $erious Bu$ine$$ these days.