Thread: Hospice care

Hospice care

As I write this, my mother is resting comfortably under hospice care at home, in the reassuring surroundings of the house she has lived in the past 67 years. It is putting me at ease as her primary caregiver. The hospice provider company and her primary care doctor are giving us guidance to make it come together as it should. If any of you have a loved one facing terminal illness, don't hesitate to see his or her doctor and discuss the hospice option.

Seconded. Both my parents were under hospice care in their home at the end. And when the end comes, they can be very helpful at that time as well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My best thoughts are with you and your mother Hornblower. I heard nothing but good things about Hospice.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My Mother died in a Hospice, not her own home, just over a year ago. We thought they did a great job of caring for her, and that care had gotten beyond our ability anyway.

Hospices provide a wonderful service in assisting people to have a dignified and as comfortable as possible end. So many of the people there were volunteers, too. Amazing.

You have all my sympathy.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

My mom volunteers in a hospice, a couple of times a week. The gratitude of both the person receiving palliative care and their family (if any) is what makes her keep doing the work. My sympathies, Hornblower, in the days ahead.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

A beloved professor of mine from college actually gave an interview to our local paper on how great he thought hospice care was, shortly before he died. Anything that can make what you're going through easier sounds good to me; if you need to "talk," I'm sure I speak for most of us when I tell you that I'm here for you.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My sympathies to you and your family, Hornblower.
    Solfe

Losing a loved one, even under the best of circumstances, is always difficult. You have my sympathies as well, Hornblower.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Sorry to hear that, friend. You have my sympathies and support. Be strong.
    “Of all the sciences cultivated by mankind, Astronomy is acknowledged to be, and undoubtedly is, the most sublime, the most interesting, and the most useful. For, by knowledge derived from this science, not only the bulk of the Earth is discovered, but our very faculties are enlarged with the grandeur of the ideas it conveys, our minds exalted above their low contracted prejudices.” - James Ferguson