Thread: "World War III" has been trending on Twitter for the last five hours

"World War III" has been trending on Twitter for the last five hours

because of this.

Now, I know we're not supposed to talk politics, but some skeptical rationality would be very apropos right now. What can a rational voice usefully contribute to this snowball before it goes Looney Tunes?

My personal advice: ignore most of social media, especially Twitter. Any contribution, no matter how rational, is going to be ignored and just add to the noise.

Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

never going to happen. a world wide nuclear holocaust is only a remote outcome of any future war while there are at least two nations capable of destroying each other

As for a conventional world war 3, I dont think there's a single country that could financially afford one. Russia is broke, America technically bankrupt with a $18.1 trillion deficit, and China totally dependent on foreign trade, none of them would ever let it reach that point.

Wouldnt it be great though if every country turned over 10% of their military funding to NASA, ESA and the other world space agencies.
    All those shelved science projects put into motion, and a very real prospect of both a manned Mars mission and my personal favourite a permanent lunar observatory
    Last edited by efanton; 2015-Nov-24 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    My personal advice: ignore most of social media, especially Twitter. Any contribution, no matter how rational, is going to be ignored and just add to the noise.
    Exactly so. Whatever happens will happen despite what people are tweeting.

And now, the obligatory warning against out-of-scope political discussion, including but not limited to: assigning blame, ascribing political motives, advocating/opposing action X, taking money from agency Y and giving it to agency Z, etc. There's been no infraction worthy behavior yet but serious warning is very serious. Seriously.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Anything 'trending on twitter' should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    Anything 'trending on twitter' should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt.
    I hate when "National Grilled Cheese Day" trends on April 12th and "Yuri's Night" doesn't.

Okay, who told them mine plans on taling over the world.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

a plane from one nation got shot down flying over the sovereign territory of another nation after being repeatedly asked to leave that airspace.. there will be a couple of days of moral outrage and sabre rattling, then it will go away..

trending on facebook the last couple of days: Astronaut Scott Kelly photographs a ufo.... seriously, that is something that is out there right now.. one page even said it was about 500 feet long, and between 100 and 2000 feet away from the ISS.. really compelling stuff... too bad that once you fiddle with the contrast settings on any simple photo editing software, it turns out to be a light reflection off part of the ISS that is in shadow...

so, yeah, ignore the social media stuff and figure out what's going on by kind of finding the "average" of what several different actual news sources and put the pieces together for yourself..

I haven't used twitter since they announced #NowThatCherIsDead. I like Cher. She is awesome performer and it is rude to hoax people about her passing.
    Solfe

There may be something wrong with me.

I'm finding the most upsetting thing about this (and yes, I know people died in this event) is that it keeps being reported that a fighter was shot down.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I think reporters in general should be required to have an education. Hmmmm......

You lost me at "trending."
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yes, Gibbs.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Yes, Gibbs.
    I don't mean "lost me" as in "didn't understand". I meant "lost me" as in "stopped caring".
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Sorry, but in my reality I thought it was the other one.

just ignore the last comment. I was just bored and was trying to start something.

I want to watch cat videos...and walk in the sun.

I found something to write about on my blog.

Back on topic, please.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)