View Poll Results: What would you think about coins below the dollar?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just keep the quarter

1 11.11%
  • Ditch them all; round up to the closest dollar.

0 0%
  • Keep it this way; it is too early to do something.

5 55.56%
  • Move over, nickels and pennies!

3 33.33%
  • Should we have a redenomination sooner or later?

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The story about pocket changes

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    You can get Mr. Noodles and cans of tuna for sixty cents at Dollerama too - one a day is just enough to survive. A very common practice in Edmonton.
    I don't know how many years ago, but since I'm a regular customer at Dollarama, I know that the price of many items have gone up to more than $1.00.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inclusa View Post
    I don't know how many years ago, but since I'm a regular customer at Dollarama, I know that the price of many items have gone up to more than $1.00.
    Perhaps the Dollar store. But less than three months ago, I was living on the street, so trust me on how much a pack of Mr. Noodles costs.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    At any rate, I'm worried about our excellent Mods sharpening their purple pencils right about now. I've bothered people far too much with my personal situation in the past; I don't want to repeat past mistakes on this board. Let's get back to the topic at hand. As far as pocket change goes, some might find it an inconvenience; others rely on it to survive. As a former member of the latter group; I vote against any idea that would make their hardships any worse.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I don't understand this. If the machine couldn't tell the difference between the Susan B. and a quarter, that was a problem with the machine. If you were responsible for the vending machine, and allowed it to continue to accept dollar coins as quarters, you were actively defrauding people.
    This was back around 1977, and the coin mechanisms physically could not tell the difference, no vending machine could. That was suppose to be a selling point for the Sacagawea, the modern mechanisms could now tell the difference, but from personal experience, not always.

My duties at the store were to keep the machines stocked with product, and to empty the cash boxes, and turn them into the office. It was the Coca-Cola company's duty to service the mechanics of THEIR machines. The strange thing is that NOBODY ever complained about using a Susan B. in the machines, they never knew.

But thank you for intimating that I am a thief.

Near the end of the Susan B.s period, the U.S. Government tried to salvage the situation by coloring the coins. I have never seen any, but the colors were suppose to have been a bronze and amber tint.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Other dollar coins? There's only been one other dollar coin since the Susan B., the Sacagawea. And it's the same size as the Susan B. so that the vending machines which accept the Susan B. will also accept the Sacagawea. Making the dollar coin a difference size now would wreak havoc with the vending machine industry.
    My mistake, for some reason I thought that the Government had issued a third dollar coin.

David.

They have. The Presidents coins.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Krel View Post
    This was back around 1977, and the coin mechanisms physically could not tell the difference, no vending machine could. That was suppose to be a selling point for the Sacagawea, the modern mechanisms could now tell the difference, but from personal experience, not always.
    The only differences between the Sacagawea and the Susan B. is the coloring, the image, and the smooth vs. reeded edge, which vending machines don't use. As I said, the Sacagawea was specifically designed to be indistinguishable from the Susan B. by machine, so that vending machines which already accepted the Susan B. would accept the Sacagawea automatically.

The dollar coins - both Susan B. and Sacagawea - are nearly 10% bigger in diameter than the quarter and more than 40% heavier. Any machine that would think that big a coin was a quarter was seriously flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Krel View Post
    My duties at the store were to keep the machines stocked with product, and to empty the cash boxes, and turn them into the office. It was the Coca-Cola company's duty to service the mechanics of THEIR machines. The strange thing is that NOBODY ever complained about using a Susan B. in the machines, they never knew.

But thank you for intimating that I am a thief.
    I think you intimated that yourself, thank you very much.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I guess this thread has demonstrated that Canada and the United States are in fact two very different countries, despite the superficial similarities.
    While I don't have "money to burn", small time luxuries (around $100 to $150) aren't usually a major concern to me (but this doesn't happen very often, either.)

I guess this thread has demonstrated that Canada and the United States are in fact two very different countries, despite the superficial similarities.
    While I don't have "money to burn", small time luxuries (around $100 to $150) aren't usually a major concern to me (but this doesn't happen very often, either.)
    Oh, I guarantee you that there were people in Canada who were counting pennies before there stopped being pennies in Canada. What I'd like to see is research as to whether they're better or worse off before we leap blindly into dropping the penny here, too. The issue is not a difference between the US and Canada. The issue is between the income level of those who use the penny most and the income level of those who decide that we don't need pennies.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

In regard to getting (and keeping) a dollar coin in a quarter slot:
    Back when there were pay phones and the local calls cost 10 cents, you could still put in a quarter and get to make a call. However, the phones were not equipped to give change, so you overpaid and ate the loss if your call was important enough and you didn't have a dime. Similar deal with exact change on the bus: you might overpay if you couldn't make it come out correctly.
    Nobody questioned where the extra money went. (Though it may have accumulated to thousands of dollars nation-wide or city-wide.)

After an extra large coin is put into a machine, who owns the excess value?

Hard to tell whether it was a voluntary overpayment or a mistake. It would be reasonable to return the difference, but not always easy and sometimes impossible.

As kids we were taught that young Abe Lincoln walked thirty miles (or whatever) to return three extra cents to someone, but there are few with his honesty and determination.

I don't think you realize how much this is NOT true for vast segments of the population in just about every "first world" country, Canada included. I find it extra hard to believe that the standard of living for all Canadians is such that $100 wouldn't ever be a major concern for most people.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Yeah, the idea that $100 is a "small time luxury" is hard for me to wrap my brain around, and I'm better off than a lot of other people.

"You can't erase icing."

You have at least $100 to burn, then.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    You have at least $100 to burn, then.
    Or melt.