Thread: Sympathy for Paris

Sympathy for Paris

I don't know how it has been coordinated, but tonight cities around the world are lighting up their central buildings and monuments with the colours of the French Tricoleur.
    The best slide show I can fond is here: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...348076651.html
    Click on the image of Christ at Rio and ignore the crass advertisement to see the slide show.

I don't know how it can, but I hope it helps the French.
    John, no longer the smiling Silverback
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silverback pic.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	21119  
    Last edited by JohnD; 2015-Nov-15 at 06:58 PM.

They indeed have my sympathy. And hopefully no more bad incidents to warrant more.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

FaceBook has introduced a feature that allows users to superimpose an image of a French flag on their avatar, to express sympathy for the victims of the attacks.

They have gotten some criticism for not offering the same feature for Lebanon, where several dozen people were killed in bombings the other day. The absolute number killed in Lebanon was smaller, although it is a far larger percentage of the country's population. I have not heard about any plans, or any criticism for lack of such plans, to offer such a service for Iraq, where a Paris-level number of people are killed on average every couple of days, in a country with half the population of France.

“Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end.
    But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill, Their Finest Hour

Our world has been diverted , temporarily . We shall see it through to where peace and reason and co-existence as concepts to live by shall
    once again be the watchwords we start our day with .....in freedom and without fear , for we have humanity on our side.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Procopius View Post
    FaceBook has introduced a feature that allows users to superimpose an image of a French flag on their avatar, to express sympathy for the victims of the attacks.

They have gotten some criticism for not offering the same feature for Lebanon, where several dozen people were killed in bombings the other day. The absolute number killed in Lebanon was smaller, although it is a far larger percentage of the country's population. I have not heard about any plans, or any criticism for lack of such plans, to offer such a service for Iraq, where a Paris-level number of people are killed on average every couple of days, in a country with half the population of France.
    If someone wants that, they can always make it on their own using some photo editing software.

Quite how these images help victims is a mystery to me. Help is donating money or blood.

Regardless of where they are, innocent victims of such horrific violence have my sympathy. Only 15 minutes ago I saw an image of a long row of people dead on the ground; shot to death, and their killers still with assault rifles raised. Somewhere in Syria? Terrible.

I'm often still "surprised" (chagrined, stymied) at how violent and lethal humans can be. Seems this pretty little planet should be mostly happy and peaceful instead.

SkepticJ
    Quite how these images help victims is a mystery to me. Help is donating money or blood.
    Yes. I was glad to hear that Paris hospitals/blood banks are "full" - thanks to so many wonderful donors.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    If someone wants that, they can always make it on their own using some photo editing software.
    Yes, just like they could for France.

Quite how these images help victims is a mystery to me.
    Oh, they don't help, anymore than posting here helps.

Help is donating money or blood.
    Indeed, there are a number of organisations to which one can donate to help victims of attacks in Lebanon or Iraq, although one risks prosecution in certain countries for doing so. Donating to France is probably safe.

If you want to do something concrete within your own country, you could find French residents there (students, etc.) and donate prepaid phone cards for them to call their families in France.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2015-Nov-16 at 04:47 AM.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

There is a fine line between discussing a current event and expressing sympathy for its victims, and discussing the politics behind such events. Up to now folks have been smart enough not to take the Iraq bait, but as it is now brought up a second time I'll make the warning explicit: stop discussing the politics behind the Paris attacks (and politics in general), and don't use this thread to push a different political agenda. There are plenty forums on the Internet where such can be discussed, Cosmoquest is not one of them.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Thank you, Slang, le lion rampant of Cosmoquest, leaping in to guard the reputation of the board.
    Just a little eager, n'est ce pas?

John