Thread: how accurate is this video? (question to germans)

Question how accurate is this video? (question to germans)

Hello, are any of you guys German/from germany? I want to know how accurate this film was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bTKSin4JN4

Also if so, would you kindly also add what ethnicity you are, and/or which part of Germany you are from?
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

Be more specific please. Germany is just a few miles away from here, but I'm not going to watch one hour of video for such a broad question.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I'm not in Germany or anywhere near it, but if you're considering immigrating there, you'd better hurry up - because Germany's already packed to the gills it seems.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Be more specific please. Germany is just a few miles away from here, but I'm not going to watch one hour of video for such a broad question.
    ummm well basically it's a bbc documentary where they sent a British family to go live in germany and try to live as a typical German. I plan to use it as a reference for a paper about the culture of the two countries... however it does seem kinda faux... and only specific to one type of German. I'd like a second thought on it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I'm not in Germany or anywhere near it, but if you're considering immigrating there, you'd better hurry up - because Germany's already packed to the gills it seems.
    Don't plan too. I've always wanted to go to Europe, but now I'd rather wait for when all this immigrant thing is all sorted out. I am in no rush.
    Last edited by Mareykan; 2015-Nov-12 at 09:03 PM.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

Maybe I'll find some time to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mareykan View Post
    Don't plan too. I've always wanted to go to Europe, but now I'd rather wait for when all this immigrant thing is all sorted out. I am in no rush.
    Gee, man, don't worry over that! Perhaps it may seem from news footage that we are being overrun by refugees here, and that you're likely to be trampled as soon as you get from the plane, but it really is nothing like that. There are a few border crossings and trainstations where the focus of travel is, and yes, there you might be delayed a bit. But I think 99% of the population doesn't even notice an increase in refugees.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    But I think 99% of the population doesn't even notice an increase in refugees.
    <digression>
    Man, I wish that were the case here in Canada (people not noticing). You'd think the world was ending what with half the country losing their poo about "billions of refugees coming to take food out of our mouths!" fer Pete's sake. My countrymen have gone insane.
    </digression>

All,

Please do not get into a discussion about immigration or current refugee issues. These are highly emotional, very political issues and they are not appropriate for CQ.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I might have time to look at it sometime next week, but it would really help a lot if you asked more specific questions about the aspects of Germany (even better if you specify the exact region) you want to know about, rather than vaguely posting a long video.

For the record, I am Austrian, but I would try to answer as good as I can if you write what you want to know.

I haven't watched all the video but I found this which gives more info. I suspect the first thing a German would say is that it isn't Germany, it is Bavaria; which is atypical, being more conservative and more Catholic than elsewhere. The second thing is that the English couple are living in Bavaria but not really working there, they are writers writing about being there. On browsing through the video it looks to me that the programme has put two tree hugging liberals in the most conservative part of Germany and hilarity ensues.

My experiences of Germans and Germany (and my wife worked there on and off for a year) is that they really aren't that different from us.

Edit to add: The Torygraph review.
    Last edited by Heid the Ba'; 2015-Nov-13 at 10:46 AM.

From the OP, I thought it was going to be the "Germans struggle to pronounce 'squirrel'" video before I read descriptions further down in the thread...

Ha blooming ha!
    I went there to have a look, and "This video contains content from Channel 5, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds" when it's a BBC programme!

But Google for "Reviews "Make me a German" " The programme was broadcast in the UK in 2013, and reviewed by many TV critics, whose opinions may help you.

A little more web research - which I'll leave to you - might find what Germans thought of it. "Die Welt" wrote abut the programme: http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschla...ffmt=2&affmn=1

Lastly, as Heid th'ba' says, that was Bavaria. The equivalent would be "Maken sei mir Britsche" about a family sent to Scotland, or "I want to be American" when they bunked in California. No nation can be encapsulated in one descriptive noun.
    Alistair Cooke spent his life as a journalist writing the "Letter from America" series of radio talks for the BBC, and never, ever was short of something new to talk about.

John
    Last edited by JohnD; 2015-Nov-14 at 11:17 AM.

Except for language, it would probably be a bigger cultural shift for me to move to Louisiana than to Germany.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Except for language, it would probably be a bigger cultural shift for me to move to Louisiana than to Germany.
    Louisiana is no more mono cultural than Germany. Depending upon where you settled, language and/or vernacular could well be a challenge! Probably my favorite place to live during my youth.

I lived in Germany for only four years but I consider myself fortunate to have spent a lot of time with friends in/from Schwaben and Bavaria. In fact, one dear friend's late father was proud to claim...and often...that he was Bavarian first and German second. I can't speak to perceptions in the UK but I think many in the US see Bavarians (or a caricature thereof) as stereotypically German, while the typical is much different and variable.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2015-Nov-17 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect. Charcuterie instead of caricature? Really?
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Louisiana is no more mono cultural than Germany. Depending upon where you settled, language and/or vernacular could well be a challenge! Probably my favorite place to live during my youth.

I lived in Germany for only four years but I consider myself fortunate to have spent a lot of time with friends in/from Schwaben and Bavaria. In fact, one dear friend's late father was proud to claim...and often...that he was Bavarian first and German second. I can't speak to perceptions in the UK but I think many in the US see Bavarians (or a charcuterie thereof) as stereotypically German, while the typical is much different and variable.
    I think that most individual European countries are much less homogeneous than most Americans think.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Sure wish I'd visited France in 2008.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    I haven't watched all the video but I found this which gives more info. I suspect the first thing a German would say is that it isn't Germany, it is Bavaria; which is atypical, being more conservative and more Catholic than elsewhere. The second thing is that the English couple are living in Bavaria but not really working there, they are writers writing about being there. On browsing through the video it looks to me that the programme has put two tree hugging liberals in the most conservative part of Germany and hilarity ensues.

My experiences of Germans and Germany (and my wife worked there on and off for a year) is that they really aren't that different from us.

Edit to add: The Torygraph review.
    Just taking issue with one point, having lived in Nuremberg for 9 years: Nuremberg is governed (and always was while I lived there) by the Social Democratic Party, or, broadly, the left. It is a predominantly Protestant city in a predominently Protestant part of Bavaria (Middle Franconia). There is absolutely no shortage of tree huggers there. Socially, life in the city isn't conservative at all by whatever parameter (sexual morals, acceptance of LGBTQ lifestyles, church attendance, strength of left-leaning parties...) you chose. So no, it's not just a libruls-hilariously-transplanted-to-papist-stronghold show.

I didn't see the show, so I can't help Marykan with his question. By a very, very superficial skim of a few scenes, it doesn't seem too implausible.

Re. immigration, I'd like to say two things, and I very much hope this is not in defiance of Swift's reminder: One, there are large areas, especially in Bavaria, where one notices the refugee crisis very much, with about 6300 crossings per day at some checkpoints in SE Bavaria. But it's true, the effect is local. In other areas, anti-immigrant and xenophobic violence and delinquency have gone up alarmingly - buildings outfitted as mass accomodations for refugees have gone up in flames, people have been beaten up. Two, if Mareykan (or any non-EU citizen) wanted to immigrate to Germany, the current situation would probably not make that much of a difference - these people come as refugees or asylum seekers, via insecure routes, mostly entering the country illegally. If you go to a German embassy in your country applying for a German visa and work permit, you probably will not notice any difference between now and before the current crisis. The criteria for coming to Germany legally and outside the refugee/asylum seeker framework haven't changed. FYI, everything you want to know is here.
    Last edited by Arneb; 2015-Nov-18 at 12:43 PM.

I think that most individual European countries are much less homogeneous than most Americans think.
    Agreed...although I think it's much more difficult to find regional differences in say, Luxembourg or Liechtenstein. But then, you did say "most".

I would also say that many US Americans have similar misconceptions about states and regions in our own country. North, South, East, West, Louisiana, Seattle, Alaska...people far removed from these places often make curious assumptions about them. I know I've made some whoppers from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I know I've made some whoppers from time to time.
    Ah, they're Alaskan high cuisine then? There's this US-based restaurant here, I think they serve burgers to our King, that thrives on Whoppers.

Thanks for the clarification Arneb.

Most welcome.

One possibley fatal flaw about the show is: If you want to know how Germans "tick", living and working among them, sharing their lives and secrets, judging how they come out to be as successful as they purportedly are (and certainly it is only a side note that 10 years ago, Germany was touted as the Sick Man of Europe), well maybe you ought to speak German. there seems to be this idiosyncrasy in the English speaking world that English is sowmehow the human language, which everyone had better speak or else cannot expect to be taken seriously. But quite simply, you aren't part of a community whose language you don't speak - you are forever the demanding, presumptive, self-important tourist. Ant exposing zose happless Tshermans viss no academic etyoucation forr zeir f@nny actsents inn front off ze kammera iss nott going to help your case. But yeah, it would probably be unsellable with subtitles, with a journalist fumbling through German grammar and everyone around him giving each other rolling eyes because that guy just can't speak right.
    Last edited by Arneb; 2015-Nov-18 at 08:32 PM.

Well the same could be said about Europeans and individual 'American' States :P

just a stone throw away from New York City and her surrounding suburban settlements is what my dad used to call "Yee-haw country". Completely red-neck area as you approach Canadia.