Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Middle-aged kit building

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    ... Some creative clamping is involved...
    The clothes pins are from a daughter's childhood stuff left in my house. They're 1" (2.54 cm) long.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zIMG_6319.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	25544  

Sewing feet would make for great landing gear—perhaps model fifth wheels for landing pad feet.

New horse riders, 1/76 scale

Single piece prints, the undercut you can get with a resin printer is brilliant.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    New horse riders, 1/76 scale

Single piece prints, the undercut you can get with a resin printer is brilliant.
    That is very nice. What model of resin printer?
    Solfe

Continuing work on the La Pinta. I'm gluing an outer sheath of sapelly battens to the hull using contact cement, which is more tedious than the basswood hull planks. The sapelly is brittle and doesn't bend well. Moreover, the contact cement is very unforgiving in terms of getting the initial placement right, and unlike the CA glue I used for the basswood, it emits noxious fumes so I have to work in the garage or outside. It's freezing outside right now and pretty cold in the garage, requiring that I run space heaters for a while before working. Slowly getting done ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5209.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	25653

Oh, that's lovely work. Applause.

Someone on my modelling forum has just gently told me that I have painted the Bristol Mercury XX engine of my Lysander aircraft completely wrong. And they're right. Sigh.

Grant Hutchison

Continuing work on the La Pinta. I'm gluing an outer sheath of sapelly battens to the hull using contact cement, which is more tedious than the basswood hull planks. The sapelly is brittle and doesn't bend well. Moreover, the contact cement is very unforgiving in terms of getting the initial placement right, and unlike the CA glue I used for the basswood, it emits noxious fumes so I have to work in the garage or outside. It's freezing outside right now and pretty cold in the garage, requiring that I run space heaters for a while before working. Slowly getting done ...

Noxious fumes. I used to work with rubber cement and it's thinner for art projects, so I can sympathize.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oh, that's lovely work. Applause.

Someone on my modelling forum has just gently told me that I have painted the Bristol Mercury XX engine of my Lysander aircraft completely wrong. And they're right. Sigh.

Grant Hutchison
    Thank you.

And indeed, sigh. Been there.

Estes looks to sell a largely pre-built SLS replica 002206

Very nice!

A friend left a book with me all about cedar strip canoe making, with many different templates. I've been thinking about doing a ~1:12 model of one, but the thought of gluing all those tiny strips is making me think very carefully about starting... I may have to come back here for inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Very nice!

A friend left a book with me all about cedar strip canoe making, with many different templates. I've been thinking about doing a ~1:12 model of one, but the thought of gluing all those tiny strips is making me think very carefully about starting... I may have to come back here for inspiration.
    Thanks! Interesting you mention canoe making. A long time ago I got it into my head to build a telescope tube using canoe-making technique. That was an experience in killing brain cells what with the fiberglass outer layer. Still have the tube (but not the brain cells!). I was going to build a Dobsonian but never did. I suppose I still could.

The batten hull sheathing is finished on La Pinta with decent results. As noted before, the sappely wood is brittle but also the slats provided varied a bit in thickness, so the hull is not as smooth as I'd like even with vigorous sanding. Next up is to glue the stem, keel and sternpost to the hull frame members. These three are thick, pre-cut pieces that should fit the curve of the hull bottom precisely. Except, they don't. With the curved stem piece in place matched exactly to the curve of the hull, the keel piece is not long enough to extend aft to entirely mate up with the sternpost. There's gap of about a cm. Additionally, the sternpost is too long and the keel inexplicably thins towards aft. I can cut the sternpost down and the keel thickness isn't a show-stopper. But for the too-short keel, I think I will have to fashion a small piece to fill the gap.

My opinion of the quality with Artesania Latina wooden ship models is waning a bit. There's obviously a lot of wood shaping involved with such models but I'm disappointed that the precision cut pieces aren't, well, terribly precise. And the instructions are not only lacking but not necessarily presented in the proper order. The stem, keep and sternpost should have been attached prior to the sappely battens being glued down, for instance. Still, it's a fun project and I'm not too concerned about minor defects in appearance. I imagine the real La Pinta had them as well.

Name:	IMG_E5232.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	25659

Name:	IMG_E5233.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	25660