Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Middle-aged kit building

That is wonderful.

Coming along very nicely.

Grant Hutchison

Made a lot of progress on the model railroad in the 9 months since I last posted about it (thanks Covid). Have pretty much all the track in place, though still working on the area around my turntable. All the wiring for the track is done too (except for the turntable). The river is carved out (can't really see it in this shot), but needs to be painted and have "water" added. Have multiple buildings done, but a lot more to go. Started working on some of the scenery, like the walls along the right of way.

By the way, the building in the middle of the layout by the big black bridge, with the rocket on its sign, is the home of "The Acme Product Corporation" (world's finest producer of road runner catching devices). In the back there, where there is just a single, round white tank so far, is the future home of the Avogadro Chemical Company, located at 602 E23rd Street.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Heh, Avogadro’s number as an address. If you could find miniature roadrunner and coyote figurines, one on each side of a track would be appropriate.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

That's so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Heh, Avogadro’s number as an address. If you could find miniature roadrunner and coyote figurines, one on each side of a track would be appropriate.
    I'll have to see if any of the Shapeways people make an N scale road runner. It might have to be a dog and a chicken.

I'm not a rivet counter when it comes to modeling; I'm thinking of putting in a European style train shed as part of my passenger terminal, even though this is supposed to be an American city (I just like the glass sheds). The tram line that is going in the back actually has Japanese prototype trams on it. I'm not picky about everything has to exactly model 16 May 1953 in Akron, Ohio on the B&O branch line that went through Akron (there are modelers that get that picky).

But the nature geek in me is a little bothered about a roadrunner; they aren't native to the Eastern US.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    But the nature geek in me is a little bothered about a roadrunner; they aren't native to the Eastern US.
    Once I had to stop for peacocks walking across the street not too far from my house. Sometimes I hear them calling too.

I’m also reminded of a friend a few years back telling me how she watched a zebra walking down an average Sacramento area street alone, seemingly taking in the sights. Of course the traffic had stopped. It ended up on the news that night - a local was raising zebras in a fairly well populated area for some reason, and zebras, having a rather strong reaction to noises, apparently reacted to something and broke out. There was some fun rounding them up again, and they were apparently to be sent to a quiet place in Oregon. The newscaster joked “If you heard hoofbeats today, it actually was a zebra.”

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'll have to see if any of the Shapeways people make an N scale road runner. It might have to be a dog and a chicken.
    Well Lionel offers this in O Gauge:

http://www.lionel.com/products/plug-...shack-6-84769/

Or Captain Swoop does custom 3-D printing!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Good. Squadron just closed—for good.
    Hey Wall Street Bets!

I'm not a rivet counter when it comes to modeling; I'm thinking of putting in a European style train shed as part of my passenger terminal, even though this is supposed to be an American city (I just like the glass sheds). The tram line that is going in the back actually has Japanese prototype trams on it. I'm not picky about everything has to exactly model 16 May 1953 in Akron, Ohio on the B&O branch line that went through Akron (there are modelers that get that picky).
    Maybe it's an artful montage of anywhere and anytime?

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Maybe it's an artful montage of anywhere and anytime?

An artful montage of a wide variety of places and a decent selection of times.

Yes, much better.

Work progresses on La Pinta. The hull and decks are complete. I'm working on railings, hatches, various fittings. My workspace gets kind of cluttered - much like an actual shipyard. I also have acquired some tools to help: two mini saws and a mini hand drill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5704.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	25909

Oh, looking great.
    You're really putting me in mind of buying a mini spokeshave and getting on with my own decades-delayed build.

Grant Hutchison

No time like a pandemic, eh?

Amazing to think that ships that were designed to ply Mediterranean waters were employed to navigate the relatively rougher Atlantic seas.

La Pinta looks good. Any idea how many hours it's been so far?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Amazing to think that ships that were designed to ply Mediterranean waters were employed to navigate the relatively rougher Atlantic seas.
    In building the model, I'm amazed the ship carried two dozen men. La Pinta was not very big.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    La Pinta looks good. Any idea how many hours it's been so far?
    Thanks. I'd hesitate to guess. While I've been working on it for the past year, I don't usually put in that many hours (minutes) at a sitting. For one, there's a lot of time waiting for glue to set up.

I love ship models—can’t wait to see it done.