Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 reviews

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    If your computer (don't know if it is a desktop or laptop) is plugged into wall power and you have no beep when it boots, it means it fails to POST (POST is before anything BIOS related, so BIOS battery is not relevant here). Dead mobo is a possible case, but also bad CPU or PSU or other. Most mobo's will POST even with broken RAM and CPU, giving you error beeps to indicate the problem.

One thing you could do to exclude some other possibilities is try to boot the PC with only CPU and RAM plugged in. So all hard drives, disk drives, separate graphics and sound cards, network cards...disconnected. If it then still fails to POST, I'd say mobo becomes more likely as CPU and RAM tend to trigger error beeps. Still CPU could be the problem. Nice eh. And in any case PSU could be an issue. If it does POST when dressed out like this, a faulty graphics card is a possibility.

Without a spare PSU (known to be good), it's all a bit of a gamble. Dito without a spare CPU. If you don't have spares, you could spend a lot of money replacing good components before you find the bad one. With a multimeter and some Google you can test your PSU. That leaves the CPU and/or motherboard.

Final bit of advice: replace the entire PC. I keep a simulator park with loads of 13 year old PC's running because a replacement would cost millions. I see dead computers. All the time. They're...everywhere. Utterly end of life. Especially PSU's and top of the line graphics cards all die at this point, but also other hardware.
    Most interesting.

The PSU is 9 years old, versus the mobo (including CPU and RAM which came in the bundle) at less than 3. I was going to buy another bundle, throwing out the CPU with the mobo, though some don't include the RAM but I'd just salvage that from the old one.

If you say I should just replace the whole thing rather than descend into constant Trigger's Broom, I'll have to judge whether I should just rock up to PC World and buy something there. Quicker turnaround, guaranteed success. I'm not after something particularly high spec. It's just a case of how much cost differential.

I'll have to compare some options with a nice spreadsheet. Oh wait...

I narrowed it down to the optical drives. I say that because I took them out and now it's working again.

It's tragically amusing that Windows spends decades supposedly making the computer easier to use, and now we have to make our own workarounds to escape the bad decisions that it makes on our behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    I narrowed it down to the optical drives. I say that because I took them out and now it's working again.

A 9 year old PSU is of course on death row. What you could do now:
    -make a superb backup of everything you need on that PC
    -find a suitable, cheap, optical drive and install in your current PC.
    -see how long it survives after that and replace the entire PC the next time it goes down

You can of course just skip to replacing the entire setup immediately, but now that you've found the culprit you know exactly what money to spend to fix it.

It might indeed be the PSU. It just gave me another scare. I jiggled some cables and it turned on again. But it occurs to me that maybe removing the optical drives seemed to fix the problem before because it reduced the load on the PSU. But it's on the way out so it will struggle more and more,

It's gone now. It had a quasi BSOD, which on Windows 10 means there's a caption saying something is wrong and it needs to restart. It then proceeded to fail to boot. After jiggling cables inside, it starts sounding D in morse code, which apparently means video card problems.

Perhaps it is time. The youngest components are now well clear of the 3 year mark.

I'm just kicking myself for not getting a Windows 10 Iso. I do have a Windows 7 ISO from the last time this happened so I can go from there.

A moment of silence for our fallen binary brother...

I'm sure you're aware of this, but the Windows 10 ISO is available for free by way of what they're calling the "Media Creation Tool" at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

I've used it several times to create a variety of Win10 USB installation kits, most recently for the "Fall Creators' Update."

You do need to have a valid Win10 key in some format or other. In my case (and perhaps yours) the activation key was recorded in Microsoft's online database when I "upgraded" my laptop to Win10 from Win7 during the period that they made it available as a free upgrade.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    I'm sure you're aware of this, but the Windows 10 ISO is available for free by way of what they're calling the "Media Creation Tool" at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

I've used it several times to create a variety of Win10 USB installation kits, most recently for the "Fall Creators' Update."

You do need to have a valid Win10 key in some format or other. In my case (and perhaps yours) the activation key was recorded in Microsoft's online database when I "upgraded" my laptop to Win10 from Win7 during the period that they made it available as a free upgrade.
    Just to clarify that ... from what I've read I thought you don't literally need a key (as in, a "1234-ABCD-9876-..." to type in) ... if you've got an activated account.

i.e. After re-install you just log in with whatever name/password you've been logging in with, and the relevant servers authorise you and the new install.

I'll be helping my son replace his dodgy HDD with an SSD this weekend, so I'm getting the chance to see this work (or not).
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Just to clarify that ... from what I've read I thought you don't literally need a key (as in, a "1234-ABCD-9876-..." to type in) ... if you've got an activated account.

i.e. After re-install you just log in with whatever name/password you've been logging in with, and the relevant servers authorise you and the new install.
    Sorry, yes, that was what I was trying to imply. If the computer where you're installing a new copy of Win10 was previously enrolled and activated, and you've been logging in using your Microsoft "cloud" login, then Microsoft will have stored its key on their servers for you. You don't need to enter the Win10 key again manually. Win10 will automagically re-activate shortly after you reinstall Win10 and login on it using your Microsoft login credentials.

I'll be helping my son replace his dodgy HDD with an SSD this weekend, so I'm getting the chance to see this work (or not).
    It should. I've gone through the "wipe and reinstall" procedure maybe a half dozen times on my laptop and the automagic reactivation worked fine each time. I didn't do it because of any particular problems, but rather because I wanted to have a known-good clean installation of Win10 for testing software, secure in my knowledge that there were no dregs left behind from previous installations.
    Selden

Awesome, thanks.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I'm counting on my cloud login working. However, I have a slight chicken and the egg problem. I don't have a working computer so I can't download a Windows 10 ISO.

IT...

JUST...

WON'T...

DIE!

I took it apart, gave it a right going over with the hoover, put it back together and it started like normal.

Gave me the opportunity to do some backing up (I was pretty up to date anyway, but not completely up to date) and create a Windows 10 installation stick.

But I really mean it this time. I need to start replacing parts, including hard drives quickly.

So I'll see you all back here in six months when I'm in the exact same situation.

I have an HP laptop that came with Windows 10 as of mid-2016.
    It has not been activated, updated, or connected to the Internet.
    If I want to get the latest version of Windows 10 (apparently the
    "Fall Creators Update"), what would I have to do to get it via that
    link on Microsoft? Can I download it to my Android tablet for
    installation on the laptop? If I can do that, does the Windows 10
    version stored in the laptop's recovery partition get replaced?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    link on Microsoft? Can I download it to my Android tablet for
    installation on the laptop? If I can do that, does the Windows 10

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    I suspect that if you simply connect to the internet you'll get the latest version whether you want it or not.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I suspect that if you simply connect to the internet you'll get
    the latest version whether you want it or not.
    I've disabled all sorts of things that might transfer info in either
    direction without my explicit authorization, including updates.
    I'm still working on disabling hard drive access without my
    authorization. Man, Windows 10 does a lot of disk access in
    the background!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

link on Microsoft?
    The Media Creation Tool that you download from the Microsoft Web page is a program which runs under Windows. It isn't a copy of Win10.
    Can I download it to my Android tablet for
    installation on the laptop?
    Sorry, I dunno. I suspect not, but it wouldn't hurt to try. You'd still have to transfer it to a computer running Windows in order to actually create the installation kit. That has to be done under Windows.

In the past, one of the features of the download page was that it would detect the type of operating system that you were using and would provide an appropriate download file. For example, it would refuse to let you download the MCT if you were accessing it from a Windows computer running one of the Enterprise versions of Windows. The MCT provided only Home and Pro versions of Win10. I don't know if that download restriction is still in effect.
    If I can do that, does the Windows 10

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    The Media Creation Tool that you download from that page is not a copy of Windows 10. Rather it's a tool which you run to then download the files and create an installation kit for the appropriate version of Windows 10. It can put those files on your local system disk or it can write those files to bootable installation media (e.g. on a DVD or USB thumb drive) for installing Windows 10 "on other computers". When you boot from that media you have the options of doing an in-place upgrade of the operating system on the local system disk or to completely wipe (reformat) the system disk and install Windows 10 from scratch. If you choose the latter option, it will do a quick format of the disk and then create the partitioning and other options normally used by Windows 10.

That's how it's supposed to work, anyhow. YMMV.

When I tried booting from the installation USB that I'd created for the Fall Creators Update (not long after it was released), it didn't work for me. I could see that the thumb drive was being read (its busy light was blinking) but nothing else seemed to be happening. I gave up after a while and booted from a USB that I'd created using the previous version of the MCT. It promptly showed the Windows 10 "working" icon and its installation procedure proceeded as described above. (I chose to wipe the system disk.) I then ran the installation script provided on the FCU USB to do an in-place upgrade, which worked fine, too. A possibly relevant complication is that I was doing the installation on an "unsupported" Dell Latitude E6510 laptop. They might have fixed the compatibility problem by now, if that's what it was. I haven't investigated.
    Selden

Thanks, Selden.

If I run the Media Creation Tool on a computer running an earlier
    version of Windows 10, will it download all the files for a complete
    installation of Windows 10, or will it take most of the files it needs
    from my computer, and only download files it can't find on my
    computer?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

My understanding is that it downloads everything, about 4GB altogether. It's a major update, which means that all of the files have been recompiled and rebuilt.
    Selden

I had Microsoft prepare installation media on a 8GB flash drive. I have yet to see if it will work installing from blank, but that is what the website said it would do.

I've disabled all sorts of things that might transfer info in either
    direction without my explicit authorization, including updates. ...
    I think it's cute that you actually believe that.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

In principle at least, one can use a firewall (either 3rd party software running under Windows or an external firewall appliance or both) to explicitly permit or prohibit connections to particular Microsoft sites. Unfortunately, setting the privacy flags and using the firewall software provided by Win10 do very little.
    Selden

Is 210 MB/s a decent rate for a modern hard drive. I was looking at a Seagate 2 TB drive on Bezosphere (I just made that up. He should totally use that name for his holding company)

NECRO THREAD ALERT. Today my Win 10 performed an auto shutdown. It has in the past performed updates w/o permissions including restarts. Today it was just a shutdown. But after re start everything seems fine. Anyone ever had this happened to you?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    NECRO THREAD ALERT. Today my Win 10 performed an auto shutdown. It has in the past performed updates w/o permissions including restarts. Today it was just a shutdown. But after re start everything seems fine. Anyone ever had this happened to you?
    My office computer shut down overnight recently. So did my two cube matesí computers. It was unusual because there was no warning from our IT department.

I havenít noticed any issues with my home computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

A problem has cropped up and it wasn't my doing (for once). If I don't strike a key, or move the mouse for a few minutes - like three - my PC goes into sleep mode and the screen goes blank. To wake it up I have to move the mouse and then log in again to the Win10 desktop. I have tweaked all of the power settings and screen settings that I can find and nothing works. It's incredibly annoying.

In Windows 10, watch out for Office OneNote.

Once you use it for anything (I just used it for some simple OCR), the system figures that you want to use it for everything: it wanted to save, print, whatever, anything I tried, to OneNote. I had to reset all the defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    A problem has cropped up and it wasn't my doing (for once). If I don't strike a key, or move the mouse for a few minutes - like three - my PC goes into sleep mode and the screen goes blank. To wake it up I have to move the mouse and then log in again to the Win10 desktop. I have tweaked all of the power settings and screen settings that I can find and nothing works. It's incredibly annoying.
    Have you tried right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, and then going to the personal settings / lock settings? Mine is set to never lock the screen and to go into screensaver mode in 20 minutes.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Have you tried right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, and then going to the personal settings / lock settings? Mine is set to never lock the screen and to go into screensaver mode in 20 minutes.
    Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. The system is essentially ignoring my settings. But tonight I set both plugged in and battery settings to ďnever blankĒ but I havenít tried it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well those didn't work but Jens gave me an idea and another place to look. There are settings in Win10 that make it behave as if the PC were a tablet (this ain't). I turned those off and so far so good.

Thanks for your help!