Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Well I found out yesterday that two of my favorite games don't run in Win 10; eof might and magic 3 and 5, I've just about decided to throw the towel in and convert back to 7.
    Well I fixed those, but still have one game
    Wizardry 8 that I have not been able to make work.
    It seems every program that isn't MS needs to be tweaked before it works.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    What have they done now? Edge has lost its favourites. The start menu stopped responding. I did a restart which seemed to clear the start button problem. Then briefly the favourites bar flashed back before reverting to an earlier version.

Seriously, what is this convolution?

I think you just got the Creators Update (version 1703)

This might help in finding out what happened to them and how to get them back:
    http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-...reators-update

I was going to post last night to warn people to watch this update. It took about a hour and a half to load and I lost my documents and pictures directories. Fortunately, I found them on One Drive.

I would strongly suggest backing up your files before doing the update. (This is a major Windows update and a lot of things are changed).

I finally had my first major screwup with Win 10. The "Creators Update" or whatever they're calling it, attempted to install yesterday/last night. After multiple restarts, it got to 75%, then went to restart and got stuck on a black screen. It did nothing all night. This morning, before work, I finally "manually" shut off the box and rebooted the system. It got stuck again on a black screen. I tried again earlier today, and when I "manually" rebooted, I got two messages. The first one was gone too fast, but the second said "Restoring previous version of Windows" which, by the look of it, is Win 10, but obviously without this "creators" version.

I'm not sure what to do, but as Win 10 has not given me much lip up to this point, I will poke around the Interwebz at my leisure and see what I can do about it.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

I’ve been working at keeping my old Windows 7 computer healthy: I certainly don’t want a new one now. I must have bought it in ’09, so it has an eight-year accumulation of stuff and had been erratic and running slow.

What I did was to install a fresh operating system on another internal disk, reinstalling just the essential stuff as I need it. I can still boot from the older disk when I need something that I forgot or some applications that would be tough to reinstall.

Some things are definitely running better. All of my important stuff exists on external drives anyway. I hope that in a few weeks I’ll be using the cleaner installation regularly, with just occasional forays to the older version.

I’ve got another, Windows 7 computer, just slightly older and slower, in another room. I have always kept that one leaner, and just reinstall the C: drive from an image, or a fresh installation when anything goes wrong. This one has a Linux installation on another drive that I can use when needed.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I’ve been working at keeping my old Windows 7 computer healthy: I certainly don’t want a new one now. I must have bought it in ’09, so it has an eight-year accumulation of stuff and had been erratic and running slow.

What I did was to install a fresh operating system on another internal disk, reinstalling just the essential stuff as I need it. I can still boot from the older disk when I need something that I forgot or some applications that would be tough to reinstall.

Some things are definitely running better. All of my important stuff exists on external drives anyway. I hope that in a few weeks I’ll be using the cleaner installation regularly, with just occasional forays to the older version.

I’ve got another, Windows 7 computer, just slightly older and slower, in another room. I have always kept that one leaner, and just reinstall the C: drive from an image, or a fresh installation when anything goes wrong. This one has a Linux installation on another drive that I can use when needed.
    Just because I like Autosketch to do technical drawings I have Windows xp on a partition of an old MacBook Pro. No internet connection on the Windows but I can drop files into documents and retrieve then on the Mac half. But even the Mac is getting too old to run stuff now.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

MS Word didn't allow you to mark and move columns of text for quite some time ... so, I used to keep an old copy of WordStar 7 around to do that when I needed it (mostly in writing program code).

Iíve been working at keeping my old Windows 7 computer healthy: I certainly donít want a new one now. I must have bought it in í09, so it has an eight-year accumulation of stuff and had been erratic and running slow.

Some things are definitely running better. All of my important stuff exists on external drives anyway. I hope that in a few weeks Iíll be using the cleaner installation regularly, with just occasional forays to the older version.

Iíve got another, Windows 7 computer, just slightly older and slower, in another room. I have always kept that one leaner, and just reinstall the C: drive from an image, or a fresh installation when anything goes wrong. This one has a Linux installation on another drive that I can use when needed.
    I need to do that. Windows 10 boots fast but then it spends ages doing heavy stuff in the background, which makes the whole thing sluggish.

My computer is a bit of a Trigger's Broom at the moment. I last bought an entirely fresh computer back in 2008, when the computer I'd had since 2005 packed up. A couple of years later, I cannibalised the hard drive from the 2005 machine, a mere 160GB unit, and installed Windows 7 on it. The computer has since been running OS off this old drive, now 12 years old, and I use the larger 500GB drive that came with the 2008 machine for storage. Then in 2014, the processor packed in so I replaced it with a new motherboard bundle. In 2015 I upgraded to Windows 10.

So I'm running a machine using a 12 years old hard drive, which also has a bunch of rubbish from previous OS installs. My peripherals are also the same age. My Vitameatavegamin mouse must surely be at least 15 years old and is disgustingly grubby.

I'd prefer a small C:\ drive (one that could be easily scanned, cleaned, backed up, reinstalled, zapped, swapped out) with the permanent stuff on external drives.

First time I got a computer in the office, the expert showed me it had three (!) discs. I carefully saved backups of programs on E: and of documents on D:. Now when when my C: failed, I felt proud of myself. However, it turned out that these were three partitions of the same silly disk, so I still lost everything. I have never trusted the darn things since.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I finally had my first major screwup with Win 10. The "Creators Update" or whatever they're calling it, attempted to install yesterday/last night.
    CJSF
    This may explain some weirdness on my laptop this week. Sluggish in some apps and slow restarts.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    This may explain some weirdness on my laptop this week. Sluggish in some apps and slow restarts.
    I haven't seen the update as of this posting, but that may come.

I haven't seen the update as of this posting, but that may come.
    You can go get it. Just google "Windows 10 update".

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    You can go get it. Just google "Windows 10 update".
    What I meant was it hadden't been installed on mine, yet. But you should have known/guessed that.

What I meant was it hadden't been installed on mine, yet. But you should have known/guessed that.
    My experience was that I was informed that it would installed on my computer at the next restart, and that didn't happen. Seems to be a common thing, especially if you don't have the latest system update already on board. So I had to go looking for the update and the "Creator" files. The Creator update installed the system update before installing itself.

I didn't know what your exact situation was, I hardly ever invade your computer to ascertain its update status. So I posted information of a general nature for people who might have the same or a different issue that this avenue of resolution would/could/might provide corrective action to resolve that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    I hardly ever invade your computer to ascertain its update status.
    Um. What?

CJSF

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

Hmmm. I've generally had zero problems with Windows 10, finding it way better to use than 8/8.1 as well as more stable on all my machines (desktop, laptop, and a convertible tablet).

However, I've just started up the tablet after a long period of un-use, and OneDrive is giving me log in trouble.

I can understand it's behind in updates, but once it's caught up it should let me in!

Solutions found on line amount to uninstall/reinstall the OneDrive app. That's pretty poor.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

MS Word didn't allow you to mark and move columns of text for quite some time ... so, I used to keep an old copy of WordStar 7 around to do that when I needed it (mostly in writing program code).
    Writing code is why I put emacs on every platform I develop on.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    What I would do in the old days was to create the code blocks with many copies of similar lines and later fill in the differences and only then paste these into a program source. Or create column specific data records for testing the program. Back then the text editor you got with the compiler package was too simplistic, and the sophisticated word processors didn't let you select text vertically. Here, the proportional text, justification and auto-correction made things worse. WordStar's non-document mode had the column-select logic from early on, and its displays were 80-colum and blocky by default.

I never tried tools specifically for writing code until recently. I know that the newer ones know the syntax and help you along, but still haven't gotten used to that.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Um. What?

CJSF

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    This...
    But you should have known/guessed that.

Good news everyone. My computer died. No BIOS. Must be the motherboard. This means I will take the opportunity to get a new SSD to replace my 12 year old hard drive, which was running the OS. Since I did the free upgrade two years ago, I only have my old Windows 7 ISO so I will be reverting to that.

I don't know if I'll be offered the free upgrade again. My device shows up on my Live account along with a note of the OS but I don't know if this qualified as it having the digital licence needed to reactivate Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I used to hate emacs.

"Thank you for calling tech support. Can we start with your operating system?"
    "I have emacs, so it really doesn't matter."
    "Ok...ok...ok... (air sucking) Let's try something else. Are you in front of the computer?"

Exactly two callers had an Apple eMacs. The remaining people had budget computers from a certain store that sported a sticker that said "emac compatible", which was possibly a lie. As near as I could tell, none of the callers knew what a text editor was. It happened so frequently that I had to create a special troubleshooting script for it (Otherwise these people would continue to escalate to me). That was part of collection of head smacking answers such as:

Q: What operating system do you have?
    A: All of them.
    Q: Are you in front of the computer?
    A: No, it's at home.
    Q: Why are you calling from work when you computer is at home?
    A: Toll calls from work are toll free. (This was an 800 number so, I don't know why this would happen.)

I will never ever look at someone else computer again.
    Solfe

Once you've installed the free Win10 upgrade on a particular device, that device's Win10 license continues to be active. The initial installation of the free copy of Win10 stored information about that device in "the cloud," in an online database. When Win10 starts, it accesses that database to authenticate and activate the Win10 license on that specific hardware. Just changing the disk is not sufficient to invalidate that activation key. In particular, you can use Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool" to download and install the Win10 "Creator's Update" from scratch on your old hardware and it should run happily. You don't need to install Win7 first and then do an upgrade. I've done it several times.

ETA an editorial comment:
    Although Win10 and Microsoft would be happy for you to do it, I'm not at all sure that you would be...
    Last edited by selden; 2017-Jul-26 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added mention of the "install from scratch" ability
    Selden

It's not the disk though, it's the motherboard. After I get my new motherboard with new SSD why not installed and loaded with my Windows 7 ISO, if I were to upgrade to Windows 10, how would I recover my licence? The other hope is that because my computer (along with the OS) was known to my Live account, that would include the licence.

Assuming I do want to upgrade again. I always liked Windows 7 better, though I don't want to get ransomware. Also, it would be nice to know that I can upgrade.

Apparently that can be done, too, although it's slightly more complicated. Apparently the license is actually tied to your Live account. See https://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how...%99s-hardware/

In the "what it's worth" department:

The version called "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB" (Long Term Servicing Branch) has or can be easily modified to strip out all of the telemetry, Edge, Cortana, etc. That's the version that we're starting to test in the research lab where I work. (I'm the first guinea pig.) My understanding is that getting that version normally requires that your institution have a Volume License agreement but it's also available through a new $7 per month subscription program or free for a 90 day evaluation. See https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/win...tsb-explained/
    Last edited by selden; 2017-Jul-27 at 12:16 AM.
    Selden

Before I go ahead and spend lots of money, is it possible it's the battery?

The problem is that I turn the PC on, initial sounds of the DVD drive working, loading light comes on and stays on, but no beep and no BIOS showing on the monitors. It just stays like that until I turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    In particular, you can use Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool" to download and install the Win10 "Creator's Update" from scratch on your old hardware and it should run happily.
    Would this get around my current and persistent problem in applying the "Creator's Update" on my desktop PC, too? It keeps getting hung up first at 75% - black screen, no activity. If I manually restart, it picks up and updates to 87%, then stalls again - black screen, no activity. If I manually restart from there, it reverts to my previous state and then eventually keeps asking to install the update again. Rinse repeat ad nauseum.

I've tried several methods to fix it (including a couple from MS's own help forums), to no avail. It really is annoying, since up to this point it's been mostly smooth sailing on Win 10 for me.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

My experience has been that a storage device being continually selected and hanging usually is a symptom of the device itself having failed in some way. Sometimes it's the host's storage bus adapter. (You might try plugging the disk into a different connection on the motherboard.) A failed motherboard battery usually has other symptoms: lost bios settings is one. Still, those batteries are relatively inexpensive so it can't hurt to replace it.
    Selden

When you boot from the installation device created by the Media Creation Tool, one of the options it provides is to completely wipe the destination boot device. That should get around any problem caused by the disk's contents. If you decide to go that route, though, be sure either to create a full backup from which you can restore files that are important to you, or to do the installation onto a new, blank disk, preserving the old one. I recommend the latter. That way if things continue to go wrong (perhaps because of incompatible hardware) you can still boot from the original disk as if nothing had happened. If you do replace the disk, and the installation goes well, you also should get a SATA to USB adapter (or whatever's appropriate for your computer) so you can connect the old disk and retrieve files from it. Or just access it as-is.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Before I go ahead and spend lots of money, is it possible it's the battery?

The problem is that I turn the PC on, initial sounds of the DVD drive working, loading light comes on and stays on, but no beep and no BIOS showing on the monitors. It just stays like that until I turn it off.
    If your computer (don't know if it is a desktop or laptop) is plugged into wall power and you have no beep when it boots, it means it fails to POST (POST is before anything BIOS related, so BIOS battery is not relevant here). Dead mobo is a possible case, but also bad CPU or PSU or other. Most mobo's will POST even with broken RAM and CPU, giving you error beeps to indicate the problem.

One thing you could do to exclude some other possibilities is try to boot the PC with only CPU and RAM plugged in. So all hard drives, disk drives, separate graphics and sound cards, network cards...disconnected. If it then still fails to POST, I'd say mobo becomes more likely as CPU and RAM tend to trigger error beeps. Still CPU could be the problem. Nice eh. And in any case PSU could be an issue. If it does POST when dressed out like this, a faulty graphics card is a possibility.

Without a spare PSU (known to be good), it's all a bit of a gamble. Dito without a spare CPU. If you don't have spares, you could spend a lot of money replacing good components before you find the bad one. With a multimeter and some Google you can test your PSU. That leaves the CPU and/or motherboard.

Final bit of advice: replace the entire PC. I keep a simulator park with loads of 13 year old PC's running because a replacement would cost millions. I see dead computers. All the time. They're...everywhere. Utterly end of life. Especially PSU's and top of the line graphics cards all die at this point, but also other hardware.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2017-Jul-27 at 12:20 PM.

Windows 10 reviews

We picked up a Win10 laptop to replace our old Vista one, and had a mixed out-of-box experience. Setup went smoothly, even if we had to answer a load of privacy settings questions and a multi-hour update (Both of which were expected)

The problem occurred when I tried to install Office 2013 provided by my employer. A trial version of Office 2016 was installed and blocked it. We removed per MS instructions, but installation of 2013 still failed, but now with an obscure error message.
    Fortunately, Google is available, and we found instructions to remove some junk the uninstall left behind. Since then, things have been okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa