Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 reviews

Well, iTunes has been a rolling disaster for a decade. I don't really understand why people use it.
    Oh, hang on, they're trapped.

Grant Hutchison

I don't think it's iTunes either. If I wait 10 minutes after boot, iTunes is about the only thing that works. I think it Windows 10 is trying to open too many things at launch.

Have you ever had a Windows machine that connects to a corporate network with a few too many network policies and resources? The desktop is available but the horsepower is being used elsewhere. It's like that.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, iTunes has been a rolling disaster for a decade. I don't really understand why people use it.
    Oh, hang on, they're trapped.

Grant Hutchison
    ITunes has gotten me down, even on a Mac. But it works much better on a Mac than Windows <anything>. Rhythmbox does iphone/ipod syncing as do some other software packages for Linux.

I have gotten iTunes to work under Wine, but don't. Just don't. It is painful. The voodoo have to do is incredible.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I don't think it's iTunes either. If I wait 10 minutes after boot, iTunes is about the only thing that works. I think it Windows 10 is trying to open too many things at launch.

Have you ever had a Windows machine that connects to a corporate network with a few too many network policies and resources? The desktop is available but the horsepower is being used elsewhere. It's like that.
    Solfe, to give you an idea of boot times I get on three computers that I have with Windows 10.
    Only the desktop has iTunes with about 17 Gb of music. The version of iTunes is 11.1.1.11.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare win 10.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	21799

Quote Originally Posted by orionjim View Post
    Solfe, to give you an idea of boot times I get on three computers that I have with Windows 10.
    Only the desktop has iTunes with about 17 Gb of music. The version of iTunes is 11.1.1.11.

Name:	compare win 10.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	21799
    What software did you make those observations?

I used a stopwatch and did each 3 times and averaged them together. The biggest variation I saw was the desktop and it was 3 seconds. I know it's not the most accurate way to do it but the point was they are all fast starting up.

Also on the laptop I have Skype disabled and it is not installed on the other machines. Skype adds about 20 seconds to the boot time when the computer is powered off.
    Last edited by orionjim; 2016-Oct-17 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Is there a setting to disable the automatic updates?

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Maybe. Note, I have not tried this, nor can I verify it works. I disliked Win10 enough to switch to Linux.

http://www.markspcsolution.com/2014/...indows-10.html

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I leave my Windows 10 machine in the powered off position. That works to prevent updates.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

I'd just like to disable all the dang ads they keep dishing out. Especially ones that pop up when I start Chrome saying Edge is faster.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'd just like to disable all the dang ads they keep dishing out. Especially ones that pop up when I start Chrome saying Edge is faster.
    It's a trap!

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	28 
Size:	985.2 KB 
ID:	22113
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

So much so that I just switched from Edge to Chrome.

I just got a surface pro 4. It's a nice little machine, but some things are annoying - like that automatic updates can happen anytime, especially when I want to use it. You're allowed to set a "productive time" when it can't update, but that time cannot be >9 hours. Since I don't use mine for work, I wanted to set the productive time in the evening, which is disallowed.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

I just got one of those stinkin' Edge ads about 30 seconds ago. Not cool, BillG.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Not to get overly political, but Bill and Melinda G. are very generous people that do great things for the world.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    Not to get overly political, but Bill and Melinda G. are very generous people that do great things for the world.
    Pretty sure Treb knows that and was joking.

(Also not certain how it is political, as they are private citizens.)

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    There two different ways to stop Windows Automatic Updates. One is to dink with the registry. I do not suggest this, it is daunting and can totally ruin your day.

The second exploit is to tell windows you have a meter internet service. It will not download the updates. This is a completely plain Jane solution, no voodoo required. Click Settings, internet and network, Wifi then advanced settings. Click Activate Metered Connection. Close the hood and you are done.

The only issue I see with this is, older versions of Windows have issues with letting too many updates pile up. It might be in your best interest keep a backup of necessary items and run critical items manually.
    Solfe

We bought a new computer last year that had Windows 10 already installed. Since then, it has been an unceasing nightmare. At one point I broke down all the settings and re-built it the way I wanted it to work, which was great for about 4 days... then it auto-updated iTunes and sent everything back to sludge again. It has reached the point that I basically don't use that computer any more. It is a large, expensive, PC-shaped paperweight in my study.

Weird. I've been a mac user since 2008 (and am typing on my work mac right now). I wanted to try something new for my tablet (plus the surface pro 4 had much more to offer than the smaller but comparably priced ipad pro 9).

I wanted to give Windows a chance again after 9 years away. So far, I'm not exactly enamored.

Weird. I've been a mac user since 2008 (and am typing on my work mac right now). I wanted to try something new for my tablet (plus the surface pro 4 had much more to offer than the smaller but comparably priced ipad pro 9).

I wanted to give Windows a chance again after 9 years away. So far, I'm not exactly enamored.
    Yeah, I had to get a PC to work at home on a project that my company was running, where the components in the pilot phase were only compatible with Windows. Won't do it again.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That is correct though. Even though I like the layout of Chrome more, it is so bloated these days. Edge is much quicker. I can be onto my online banking with Edge before Chrome has even rendered its new tab page.

I'm assuming that's legitimate and not Microsoft foul play because if it was, the EU would slap them so hard, every worker in Washington would feel it.

Still Windows 10 may or may not be incredibly annoying. When I start, it boots so quickly but then spends the next hour being very sluggish while it does something. What I don't know, but there is the sound of much processing going on in the background.

It has also nearly completely wrecked itself due to compatibility issues with some programmes. For example, after some update, it decided it didn't like Dropbox anymore and would critical error whenever the start button was clicked. I managed to get Dropbox uninstalled but it was really bad. I blame Microsoft not Dropbox. Even if Dropbox had done something dumb, Windows should be able to handle it without breaking like that.

And that backup programme! Terrible, terrible, terrible interface. It doesn't tell you anything about what it's doing so you have no idea if it's working or not. The Windows 7 one was much better.

That's interesting. To me, Windows 10 is repellent exactly because it seems to have moved too far towards the Apple approach. I'd have thought that, of all the Windows versions, it would be the one most likely to appeal to Applytes.

Grant Hutchison

... The only issue I see with this is, older versions of Windows have issues with letting too many updates pile up. It might be in your best interest keep a backup of necessary items and run critical items manually.
    My daughter's laptop has Win7. She doesn't use it that much (the desktop is right there and usually on) so the updates have backed up before. One time it took about an hour with 2-3 reboots before the computer was ready to use.

I have Chrome, Edge, and MSIE 11 (I think ... last version before the Big Switch). Chrome is a memory hog and doesn't seem to have any real advantages over the other two. I use it to visit one specific site that gave Edge and MSIE fits, but Chrome has issues there, too ... just not as bad.

Win10 is okay. It takes some getting used to and there are features I still don't like, but it does what I need it to do.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

That's interesting. To me, Windows 10 is repellent exactly because it seems to have moved too far towards the Apple approach. I'd have thought that, of all the Windows versions, it would be the one most likely to appeal to Applytes.

Grant Hutchison

Having used Apple for decades, I can promise you the experience of Window Vista, 7, 8 or 10 is as far from the Apple experience as can be for one singular reason. Windows is cheap. It feels like a plastic Crackerjack watch as compared to a Rolex. Apple isn't 'better', they make a completely different consumer device, which is often found in the computer section. They aren't remotely computers anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    We bought a new computer last year that had Windows 10 already installed. Since then, it has been an unceasing nightmare. At one point I broke down all the settings and re-built it the way I wanted it to work, which was great for about 4 days... then it auto-updated iTunes and sent everything back to sludge again. It has reached the point that I basically don't use that computer any more. It is a large, expensive, PC-shaped paperweight in my study.
    This is the experience that I have it with it. My wife had a perfectly good Chromebook and the kids dropped it. It was a cheap machine so I didn't care. I replaced it with a Windows 10 machine that cannot be made to work. Boy, was that an embarrassing mistake. I've been fixing and building computers for years. It was my profession for a while. This Windows machine is completely impervious to any repair that I can work. I suspect that the specs of the hardware are light years away from the reqs of the software, so it can't work.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My daughter's laptop has Win7. She doesn't use it that much (the desktop is right there and usually on) so the updates have backed up before. One time it took about an hour with 2-3 reboots before the computer was ready to use.

I have Chrome, Edge, and MSIE 11 (I think ... last version before the Big Switch). Chrome is a memory hog and doesn't seem to have any real advantages over the other two. I use it to visit one specific site that gave Edge and MSIE fits, but Chrome has issues there, too ... just not as bad.

Win10 is okay. It takes some getting used to and there are features I still don't like, but it does what I need it to do.
    Why aren't we talking about Firefox? I only use other browsers for very specific reasons*

*This gets to arguments against facebook. For example, I use facebook on Safari. This way I don't get the crossover that comes with using them while surfing. What pissed me off most was visiting a news site and having facebook tell me that 3 of my friends had read this article and that I should share it. Heck no! Now facebook is quarantined from my other browsing.

Having used Apple for decades, I can promise you the experience of Window Vista, 7, 8 or 10 is as far from the Apple experience as can be for one singular reason. Windows is cheap. It feels like a plastic Crackerjack watch as compared to a Rolex. Apple isn't 'better', they make a completely different consumer device, which is often found in the computer section. They aren't remotely computers anymore.
    Trouble is, I actually want a computer. (And I wouldn't use a Rolex if I was given one for free.)

I've grudgingly used a few Apple products over the years, and it seems to me that Windows 10 comes as close as Microsoft has yet come to Apple's model of cluttering the interface with lots of things I don't want, while making it as hard as possible to do the things I want to do.

Grant Hutchison

BTW: I didn't intend to be rude about Apple users, above. They have a product that provides features they esteem highly. Unfortunately, those same features make some of us want to hurl the product across the room. (And I've actually seen someone skip an iPad into the ocean, like skimming a stone. He issued invitations, and we had a barbecue afterwards.)

Grant Hutchison

Trouble is, I actually want a computer. (And I wouldn't use a Rolex if I was given one for free.)

I've grudgingly used a few Apple products over the years, and it seems to me that Windows 10 comes as close as Microsoft has yet come to Apple's model of cluttering the interface with lots of things I don't want, while making it as hard as possible to do the things I want to do.

Grant Hutchison
    I wrote a whole essay on what is wrong with Apple and Microsoft products now-a-day. It wasn't remotely family friendly, but let's see if I can be as family friendly as the board requires.

I used to have girlfriend that would play this game with me. She would hold up an everyday item obscuring a body part, then ask me to name the hidden part. The interesting and creative part of this game was, it didn't matter if the object was a chainsaw or a loaf of bread, the answer was always the same. At no time was I ever asked to name the ankle bone, the appendix, or the medulla oblongata. The answer I was trained to provide was invariant to the obscuring item AND always correct.

This is where Windows, Apple and even some versions of Linux have gone wrong. At first, they trained users to name a thing and find it. Then they asked them to name a thing and search for it. Now, that have gone and changed the answers they trained us to give to the search box. This is very unrewarding because the mechanism of searching is an obscurement of all of the possible answers and none of those answers corresponds to the item we have been trained to expect.

Frustration is the result.
    Solfe

This is where Windows, Apple and even some versions of Linux have gone wrong. At first, they trained users to name a thing and find it. Then they asked them to name a thing and search for it. Now, that have gone and changed the answers they trained us to give to the search box. This is very unrewarding because the mechanism of searching is an obscurement of all of the possible answers and none of those answers corresponds to the item we have been trained to expect.

Frustration is the result.
    I well and truly don't have the foggiest idea what you are trying to say.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I well and truly don't have the foggiest idea what you are trying to say.
    I think I can guess the girlfriend's body part, though the motivation for the game remains murky at best. But after that, nothing.

Grant Hutchison