Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 reviews

I unfortunately allowed the W10 update to occur. It was reasonably fast. Other than that, it was a disaster. Same for my wife's computer. Graphics failed for any graphic-intensive activity. Updated drivers - still failed. Deleted drivers - still failed. Oh, and numerous errors like "machine check" during boot, after boot, at any random time. Safe boot? Not any help. Worst computer experience I ever had, and I've had a lot of them. Initially the option to revert to previous OS was not available. Very angry at that. "Oh - all you have to do is click on the restore button." Yeah, right. Tried calling support and was told the wait time was hours long. After more than a week of hassle, the restore button finally appeared. I managed to keep the computers up long enough to revert to the old system. Immediate relief! Now, tell me again, why do I need to "upgrade"?
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

I went and made sure that automatic updating was turned off on all my computers. It's crazy that we have to defend ourselves against Windows itself. I hope that somebody sues 'em big time.

Windows 10 has a voice recognition AI called Cortana, which is similar to Siri. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella showed it off live on stage.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/hilario...190348151.html

Nadella, who had previously been talking about all things AI related, began by asking Cortana, “Show me my most at-risk opportunities. Cortana hilariously interpreted it as, “Show me to buy milk at this opportunity.”
    (Didn't Big Bang Theory already do this bit?)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I see MS has changed their ad campaign a bit. Previously they had babies who were going to grow up using W10. Because, apparently, there wasn't ever going to be a newer version. Now they've got six-year-olds who are going to change the world.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Working their way up to senior citizens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

After a few weeks of Windows 10, I'd have to fill out my survey as neither satisfied or dissatisfied.

Yes, I had to update drivers for my graphics card. Not burdensome, because NVidia regularly puts out updates anyway. (The annoying part was the last update, not even related to Win 10, that defaulted to a 3D display, which confused my system immeasurably, until I figured it out, and went to Custom Install, so as to disable the 3D stuff.)

Otherwise, it works very much like Win 7 that I had before. To be fair, there could be a lot of behind the scenes things going on, that I wouldn't like if I knew about, but ignorance is bliss right now.

TJ

I was sitting across a desk today from a friend who has W10 on his laptop. He was trying to work, writing in Word and researching the Internet, and Word kept crashing, losing his work.
    It gave the error as "Page Fault Found In A Non Paged Area", with no error code.
    Eventually, he closed Internet access and got a stable Word, but had to save'n'close before going back to the 'Net.
    A hopeless way of working!

John

Well, I "upgraded" 8.1 to 10 on a Microsoft Surface that doesn't have much software installed on it, just to see what would happen.
    Installation was fine, and pretty fast. It didn't break any of my programs, and it stayed in contact with my wireless network. It did, however, manage to break itself, which is an amusing outcome for a Microsoft product upgrading on a Microsoft machine. All the live tiles died, which (to judge by the frenzy of outraged posts I find on the internet) seems to be a fairly common outcome for the upgrade route (rather than a clean installation). I don't care one way or another about live tiles, so I just unpinned them all.

In other news, it provides me with precisely no new functionality that I want, need or might even be transiently amused to play with. But I have spent a happy hour crippling its efforts to share my personal data among its various apps and with the wider world. I also uninstalled a lot of the standard features, only to have them reinstalled by the automated update system. Why offer the uninstall option? Maybe there's an "optional updates" control I haven't yet found and switched off.

Grant Hutchison

the one great feature on windows 10 that I was looking forward to was Cortana

Here we are in Ireland, an English speaking country where Microsoft has their world headquarters, no Cortana

I raised a ticket, I know i'm a glutton for punishment and disappointment, and was told by some Indian support guy I have to be in a English speaking country.
    When asked when it would be available no one could answer or even guess. You would think this would be a relatively simple task. After all it would be the same as the UK only the region and currency would require changing.

Thats the problem with all Microsoft products, they are absolutely fantastic until you need help, then you are on you own. MS support sucks.
    Its never too late to have a happy childhood

Quote Originally Posted by efanton View Post
    the one great feature on windows 10 that I was looking forward to was Cortana
    She lies dead and unmourned on my machine. I wish there was a way I could ship her corpse to you, rather than have it cluttering up my start menu.

On a happy note, I've found something else to turn off, which stops Microsoft reinstalling its own apps - under the assumption, I presume, that if I uninstall their games collection and their sports app, that means I really secretly want to have them reinstalled automatically when I'm not looking.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    She lies dead and unmourned on my machine. I wish there was a way I could ship her corpse to you, rather than have it cluttering up my start menu.

On a happy note, I've found something else to turn off, which stops Microsoft reinstalling its own apps - under the assumption, I presume, that if I uninstall their games collection and their sports app, that means I really secretly want to have them reinstalled automatically when I'm not looking.

Grant Hutchison
    Silly user. If you uninstalled it, that must have been a mistake. Let us fix that for you.

I've just installed 10 on my main use-every-day machine. Most of what I've read said it would be an improvement, but I've not used it enough yet to agree or disagree. I do like that the awful "start screen" doesn't appear on my desktop.

Edge is already bugging me for various reasons, so I may just install Chrome or Firefox; but I'll give it a little longer. (Stuff like: if you're on a site using HTTPS you can click the padlock icon to have a look at their SSL cert. If Edge thinks a cert is bad (e.g. the not-so-rare miss-match between common name in the cert and the web site name) it gives a nice little warning that recommends not using the site - but I can't see a way to make it let me peek at the cert to decide for myself if it's really a problem. Sure, give users a simple message, but don't hide the details from those who want to look. Oddly, Microsoft's own Bing site is one that Edge whines about. I note that inside this text box as I type this - the up-arrow doesn't work. I just had that on a different site I recently posted on (with Edge). Weird bug.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

<snip>
    In other news, it provides me with precisely no new functionality that I want, need or might even be transiently amused to play with.
    I think the last Microsoft upgrades that I thought were true improvements were Windows XP and Office 2003.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    ... I note that inside this text box as I type this - the up-arrow doesn't work. I just had that on a different site I recently posted on (with Edge). Weird bug.)
    It works within a paragraph. It doesn't work going from the start of a paragraph up into an empty line.

There is a way to force it, but it forgets quickly.

Okay, it's a wonky bug.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by efanton View Post
    the one great feature on windows 10 that I was looking forward to was Cortana.
    She lies dead and unmourned on my machine.
    Grant Hutchison
    That's what THEY want you to think. She's alive, well, and reporting everything you do back to Redmond, regardless of your privacy settings. At least according to Cracked.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I think the last Microsoft upgrades that I thought were true improvements were Windows XP and Office 2003.
    DOS 5.0 and WIN 3.0 to DOS 6.0 and WIN 3.1.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's what THEY want you to think. She's alive, well, and reporting everything you do back to Redmond, regardless of your privacy settings. At least according to Cracked.com.
    As long as she does it without me having to see her, hear her, or interact with her in any way, that's fine. I've been taking it as a given that Microsoft will secretly harvest some data from my machine no matter what I do.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2016-Feb-13 at 05:24 PM. Reason: missed a word

I found that my Windows 8.1 on my notebook computer supports both "Microsoft" accounts and "local" accounts. I had been using one of the former, for which I registered online. One day, I found that many of my personalizations had reverted to defaults! I didn't like that, so I established a "local" account and will be using that.

I'm sticking with my older, Windows 7 computers for everyday stuff, and using the new machine minimally, until I have it figured out.

Time having passed...

I am growing rather unenchanted with Win 10.

What I would like is my computer and its files to be stand alone. I don't want everything to be linked to "all devices". I don't want all my pictures or files to be shunted off to some great mysterious "cloud". I like to open a game of solitaire and play without it asking me constantly if I want to join an online solitaire gaming community so we can compare scores and times. Guess what, don't care what or how other people are playing computer card games. Why would I?

W10 has started playing with my video driver. Poof! Second monitor not recognized. Poof! Video card not recognized. Then a reinstall of the proper drivers that requires multiple steps and counter intuitive actions before it all works again.

I have begun thinking seriously about Linux. I have a copy on an USB stick, which I have played with some. If I can get the online game I play to run through the Linux distribution, I will likely end up without Windows at all. Discovering that much information is still being transmitted in spite of how well you opt out of sharing, has also got me in a bit of a stew.

TJ

Grant Hutchison
    Still with Win 7, but one free lap with 10. How do you prevent MS from reinstalling.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Still with Win 7, but one free lap with 10. How do you prevent MS from reinstalling.
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. That have that setting locked down in the cheap home version.

I am seriously not impressed with Windows 10. I upgraded my Window 7 machine and found that it didn't run any of my old software. There was a lot of tears from my children. I murdered their Spore beings. It lasted exactly 3 hours on my hard drive. About an hour of cursing followed by installing and tweaking Ubuntu and Wine to run my old software. I know, I should get a Steam account and forgot Wine.

So far, I have been asked to fix two Windows 10 laptops, which doesn't inspire confidence.

The first computer's issue was a tiny hard drive, just 32 gb. Four Gb was for the backup and almost everything else was for Windows 10. The solution was to return it and buy a nicer laptop. Thankfully they were in the 30 day return window.

The other one was gooped up with all kinds of super special viruses. The kind you get when you want to illegally download stuff, but don't have the time or inclination to check out the torrent client before hand. Luckily, it wasn't ransomware. I fixed it and it seemed to be doing fine. However, the owner keeps messaging me via FB asking me if I want to have another look. This isn't a Windows 10 or even computer issue. I know exactly how to fix it, but haven't worked up the guts to unfriend them. Yet.
    Solfe

I didn't entirely tell the truth. You can mark a internet connection as metered, and Windows 10 will not download updates.

I suspect you could mess with the registry files. Create a backup, and then a copy. Boot your machine with a version of Linux from a stick (if you can) and create a DWORD entry named AUOptions in your copy of the registry with your favorite editor. You will need to add a couple of lines to make it stick, like 0000002 (Notify...blah, blah.) 00000003 (Auto download something, something er) and 00000004 (More Auto Download stuff..). Obviously, I haven't tried so don't cut and paste this info into a reg file.

Change the name of the file, pull the live copy of the registry file to a safe location and dump in your edited file into the right location. I pretty much guarantee Windows will freak out when you boot and start doing all kinds of check disk thingies. It isn't for the faint of heart, you're gonna see a BSOD at least once.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2016-Feb-22 at 05:22 AM.
    Solfe

I don't run the lap that has 10 on it much, as it was a raffle gift and doesn't have a lot of programs on it that I use daily. I always indicated I wouldn't upgrade for at a minimum of a year so MS could fix the bugs. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer. I did create a disk image on the main pc, in case of disasters

So far, on the desktop, I am still having minimal issues (once in a while the Start menu won't come up on a left-click. The options there-in are mostly available with a right-click), but most of the time a restart indicates an update was installed and the menu works fine.

This happens more frequently with the laptop, and for the first time yesterday neither left nor right-clicking brought up anything from the Start menu. A Windows restart brought functionality back, but no updates were indicated.

Other than this, we have had no issues. Both machines work faster than they did, and run the same software we've had with no problems, including my rapidly antiquating Photoshop CS3 (is that a word?).

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    *nod* Besides the privacy concerns, I'm also suspicious of the "free upgrade for a year" thing. It smells like they're trying to pull off a subscription model. They've been more or less openly hinting at wanting one for 5-10 years now.
    As this seems to be your penultimate post, I'm wondering if you're still getting your new OS installation sorted.

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    My Win10 experience has been (thankfully) brief, but nonetheless quite fastidious....
    New laptop with Win10 preinstalled, already planned to wipe it to install Linux.

1) Can't access the bios/uefi menu at first start: must boot into win first (which means, no refund for the unused Win license )
    2) Win10 wants to access my wifi, I accept ( again...) and then the nasty bugger goes straight for the update, downloading godKnowsWhat from godKnowsWhere and installing it (without asking, neither for download nor for installation ). Add about 20 minutes of creative cursing and......
    3) Reboot. With another 15 minutes of cursing on the side because that nice updates must be installed and Win10 must configure stuff....
    4) Access Win10 desktop, couple of minutes of stunned horror (crap, it's ugly ) and then shutdown.
    5) Can't access the bios menu, again, because for the piece of malware from Hell that goes by the name of Windows 10 on shutdown means "fast startup" ie: save some crap on disk and read that crap at startup for a faster access to desktop. But said crap on disk blocks access to bios (discovered all of this with a quick googling after a very intense, fifteen minutes round of very creative cursing....)
    6) Reboot again and then shift+left click on "shutdown" to (finally) really shut the thing down.
    7) Reboot from live Ubuntu stick, select "kill it with fire".....ermmmmm.... format disk and install Ubuntu and 12 minutes later I can boot in (it is significantly faster then Win, by the way). Another 20 minutes or so and everything I need is installed and configured, without added cursing

Holy crap, what an ordeal
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not formíd to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

Could you have done step 7 before step 1?

(Or was the reason to get into BIOS first, to enable boot from USB on that machine?)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Does Windows 10 have a decent desktop interface so that you can run it like previous versions, or is it all hidden beneath a smartphone-type interface? I wouldn't dream of trying to "upgrade" an existing computer due to all the difficulties stated here, but I'd want to know this before purchasing a new system.

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Could you have done step 7 before step 1?

(Or was the reason to get into BIOS first, to enable boot from USB on that machine?)
    No BIOS without booting into Win first. And obviously, the default boot order put the hard drive before USB....
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not formíd to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

I just ordered a new tower workstation from HP. Interestingly, it comes with a free optional downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Does Windows 10 have a decent desktop interface so that you can run it like previous versions, or is it all hidden beneath a smartphone-type interface? I wouldn't dream of trying to "upgrade" an existing computer due to all the difficulties stated here, but I'd want to know this before purchasing a new system.
    It has gone "back" (arguably, forward wrt Windows 8) to an interface that is a little closer to Windows 7. It still does a few annoying tabletty things out of the box, but these are generally easy to fix (mainly from the accessibility/usability settings, interestingly).

It is a vast improvement over Windows 8.

I just ordered a new tower workstation from HP. Interestingly, it comes with a free optional downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7.
    I would certainly have taken that in the Windows 8 days. Now, I'm not so sure.