Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Windows 10 reviews

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well those didn't work but Jens gave me an idea and another place to look. There are settings in Win10 that make it behave as if the PC were a tablet (this ain't). I turned those off and so far so good.

Thanks for your help!
    You know, that makes sense ... after a fashion. I remember that Windows 8 looked just like a tablet (or a phone). They probably had to revert a lot of changes to give back the desktop for Windows 10.

I know they like to save stuuf to onedrive.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I know they if you are not careful your stuff will be saved to onedrive. I had a file saved there and someone locked with a pasword and I can't get access to it.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    A problem has cropped up and it wasn't my doing (for once). If I don't strike a key, or move the mouse for a few minutes - like three - my PC goes into sleep mode and the screen goes blank. To wake it up I have to move the mouse and then log in again to the Win10 desktop. I have tweaked all of the power settings and screen settings that I can find and nothing works. It's incredibly annoying.
    Is it a ASUS motherboard with the ASUS utilities loaded? I recently discovered a conflict with the latest Windows updates and that utility, it causes Windows to go to a power saving mode with the sleep timer set. That happens even if you have the ASUS utilities to maximum performance mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded One View Post
    Is it a ASUS motherboard with the ASUS utilities loaded? I recently discovered a conflict with the latest Windows updates and that utility, it causes Windows to go to a power saving mode with the sleep timer set. That happens even if you have the ASUS utilities to maximum performance mode.
    Don't think I have the ASUS components. It's a Lenovo laptop, vintage late 2016. Thank you for the suggestion.

First thing to do with Windows 10 is to go through the entire settings menu turning all permissions off. Then edit the registry to kill Cortana, then use the command line to strip out all the Microsoft bloatware. At which point you'll have an operating system rather than an elaborate piece of spyware.
    Be bloody, bold and resolute.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    First thing to do with Windows 10 is to go through the entire settings menu turning all permissions off. Then edit the registry to kill Cortana, then use the command line to strip out all the Microsoft bloatware. At which point you'll have an operating system rather than an elaborate piece of spyware.
    Be bloody, bold and resolute.

Grant Hutchison
    Other than Cortana, what would be a "bloatware"?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Other than Cortana, what would be a "bloatware"?
    Depends on whether you like to make your own third party arrangements, or not; want to use software bundled with your additional hardware, or not. But Windows 10 comes preinstalled with a load of games, mapping, news and weather apps, a viewer for 3D print objects, "mixed reality" interfaces, camera software, GPS software and "find my phone", social media and streaming video apps. I also have no use for OneNote, OneDrive, Skype, the calculator, the calendar or Outlook. There were others, but I had to look them up to even figure out what they did, so they're gone too.
    Basically, Microsoft are trying to lock you into their own apps for everything you do, and they set those apps to share ridiculous amounts of personal information by default. There are potential stability advantages to using Microsoft apps, I'm sure, but I'd rather not have an account with Microsoft, or share my data with that organization. To be honest, I'd rather never deal with Microsoft or Apple in my life, but I'm kind of trapped by both because of my wife's requirements for her work.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Depends on whether you like to make your own third party arrangements, or not; want to use software bundled with your additional hardware, or not. But Windows 10 comes preinstalled with a load of games, mapping, news and weather apps, a viewer for 3D print objects, "mixed reality" interfaces, camera software, GPS software and "find my phone", social media and streaming video apps. I also have no use for OneNote, OneDrive, Skype, the calculator, the calendar or Outlook. There were others, but I had to look them up to even figure out what they did, so they're gone too.
    Basically, Microsoft are trying to lock you into their own apps for everything you do, and they set those apps to share ridiculous amounts of personal information by default. There are potential stability advantages to using Microsoft apps, I'm sure, but I'd rather not have an account with Microsoft, or share my data with that organization. To be honest, I'd rather never deal with Microsoft or Apple in my life, but I'm kind of trapped by both because of my wife's requirements for her work.

Grant Hutchison
    I can agree with you, however I don't want to really start deleting keys in the registry without knowing the consequences of the deletion. You have noted a couple of specifics and those I can delete with glee to reduce the TROs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded One View Post
    I have an ASUS laptop that will decide to put itself to sleep mode, seemingly randomly, sometimes while I'm actively using it. Do you have any more details on what I should look at, assuming it's the same problem you're describing?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I can agree with you, however I don't want to really start deleting keys in the registry without knowing the consequences of the deletion.
    Actually, not so extreme as deleting keys. Switching a couple from "1" to "0", and/or adding a couple set to zero.

Grant Hutchison

Well in the mean time, not privy to your thoughts, I have been deleting one note keys/values from registry, one hour and only in one "directory", still not finished.
    I did uninstall OneDrive but haven't touched registry for that one. Both were no big deal for me as I have never used either since I have had the lap (+4 yrs.).

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I have an ASUS laptop that will decide to put itself to sleep mode, seemingly randomly, sometimes while I'm actively using it. Do you have any more details on what I should look at, assuming it's the same problem you're describing?
    If it does it while you are using it then it might be a different problem. The one I refer to changes your power settings to sleep after an hour of inactivity. You can see the change in windows settings.

It appears that the ASUS utility will change the Windows settings to the power saving mode even if you don't have that selected in the utility. I just exit the app when it loads now. I just discovered this myself a few days ago.

My Windows 10 computer decided it needed to reboot and install an update. It has been sitting at 22% complete for the last 40 minutes, with the disk light only occasionally blinking.

Of course it says not to turn it off.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

One of my Win10 computers took forever to update ("Do not turn off"), then (eventually) said it couldn't perform the update and so was reverting the changes (took an hour or two to do this). I was annoyed. I found that I could set it to stop all updates -- for 30 days -- so I did so. All was okay after that.

Until my time limit ran out. Once again, it spent hours updating, couldn't finish, spent some hours reverting. I again stopped the updates, but I'm not very comfortable with it.

There must have been a bad modification in some update along the way. I do have an earlier disk image of the C: drive and have done others since, but I may have to start from scratch until they get their act fixed up.

It seems to have progressed overnight, and let me login this morning. Things are very slow, but Iím hoping it is just finishing up in the background.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa