Thread: Never Ending Story...cont.....

Never Ending Story...cont.....

I drove to Las Vegas with the
    'Top Secret documents' and checked in at
    Hard Rock Hotel as instructed.

My contact never showed up. After some investigation, I discovered that there is a Las Vegas in Nevada as well.
    Trigger warning - this post may contain information that some members disagree with. It might also end sentences with prepositions.

I went back to my car. The night was dark; dark as the inside of my third ex-wife's soul. I put my key in the lock and heard a click behind me.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    It might have been a fresh carrot, and a vegetarian, but my reptile brain told me it was the hammer of a Glock 9mm, and a Hungarian. Too late to dive for the phrase book and too early to ask for the check. I started to turn round very slowly.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

"Slowly Mister Tracer, slowly....", he said in an accent thick as goulash. "Wouldn't want any accidents"
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The irony was at that moment my foot slipped on some projector overlays that had been left lying around. The pencil that I had been using flew delicately through the air, and I could see it as if in slow motion as my unlucky carcass accelerated towards a most unfortunate appointment with a surface that was harder than Marylin Munroe's precious brick filled purse.
    Last edited by FarmMarsNow; 2014-Jun-16 at 02:03 AM.

"The moving finger writes" came to my mind just before my mind hit an immoveable not so well brushed concrete ramp. At times like these images flash past like a flicker book, the half empty coffee cup, the face through the window, the butter left out, melting, Newton's rings. It had to make sense but the darkness wiped the writing like a virgin's tear. According to my Timex with Lumiglow face, I was out ten minutes. Something was wrong. Then it dawned on me , apart from my watch I was as naked as a fresh peeled egg. And somehow I knew I was not in Kansas any more. My head ached like a 48 hour bender in the wrong end of town, sans the great company. I looked around like a beached whale after a storm. No beach balls here, Jonah, I whispered.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

"Naked?" "Egg?" Suddenly I understood what I had been overlooking since the beginning, and I knew that was where I'd have to return -- back to the beginning where this whole mess started, back to Las Vegas and the Hard Rock Hotel to eat the most important meal of the day -- breakfast.

Breakfast was served by the kind of woman men get killed for,... by men and women. She had command presence all right. So the little Dillinger in her hand was superfluous in a way. "Where are the papers Marlowe?" "If you want the results of the game, there's a rack behind you, if you want the other sort, it may take a little time. I was Shanghaid by a Goulash Goon."
    "That's what they all say"
    "Then he sure gets around. Do you mind? My egg's getting cold."
    "Don't ya just hate that? Won't wash off."
    Just then two guys the size of fifties refridgerators, sidled into the diner, behind my Mae West and to her East. Cool.
    "Looks like you need to take your bearings, sweetheart"
    "Nice try but I wasn't born yesterday, get moving."
    You can take out one guy with a Dillinger at five feet, but three? The oncoming storm was growing ominous like a freshly stirred beehive.
    Against my protocols, I wanted the conversation to move on. So I flipped my coffee spoon straight at the pin and shackle of the big fan over their heads. Just like in Vegas when the 00 comes up too often. In the mess I grabbed the little gun and dragged my new client out the back, shooting out the fire bulb as we left.
    sicut vis videre esto

"Look it's nearly midnight"
    "That's life imitating art"
    I needed more to work on, this dame was either part of the problem or part of the solution.
    "Did you keep any copies?" "Like in the cloud?"
    "If I had copies why would I need you to wait at the Hard Rock Cafe?"
    Something was stirring in the back of my brain, and it wouldn't let me go, like one of those chinese finger cuffs. I needed to be alone, drive those empty streets, breathe some gasoline fumes, I decided to visit an old foe, the retired DA for the county. I rang his bell, but the door was ajar. Slipping off my shoes I crept in like smoke in the bike sheds. He was there, in his chair, half way through his last ever cigar. You know it always irritated me the way he left the label on, no class. In his other hand a file marked Goulash, Secret.

I should have called it in, but that would have meant never knowing the truth.
    sicut vis videre esto

I decided I'd try to honor the dead in my own way, and it wouldn't be my style to see a good cigar go to waste. I lit up and shed a tear for the man as I read his report. Strange word "Report." I wondered absently what nouns might precede my own eventual pronaos sometime in the future.

By the second page I was saying "This thing is bigger than both of us" And then the curtain moved. Maybe the window was open, Maybe the cat was waking but no cat I know wears shiny black shoes. Two's company, three's a crowd. It was time to be gone like yesterday's shadow. Re-port, re- port, I mused as I slipped my own shoes back on and joined the night people.
    sicut vis videre esto

I had a lot on my mind. I never like that. Bad things happen. Where is Eric? I hate that feeling when I have to break out of character to search for the OP. It dis-suspends my disbelief just when the case is getting interesting. Or do I mean where was Eric? Those shoes were too familiar, left handed knot. If the DC was right, we were going to have Goulash all over and it went right to the top. Downtown now and somewhere there was music drowning out my burble. A rhapsody. Punctuated rhapsody. Suddenly I ran out of road. In the centre of town there was just this huge hole, black and steep sided. My front wheels stopped on the edge. The other side was several football fields away.
    But where is Eric?
    sicut vis videre esto

Eric the Vaxxine was only slightly less well known than a major city. He had disappeared several months previously in relation to another case -- a case that my competitor Bud Johnson snatched up before I could twitch. It seemed he had inside information about it. The case should have gone to me but I happened to be unavailable for a few days and Bud jumped on it. Damned if I'd let him touch this case though! I was hurting for money and booze. I'd have asked Bud where Eric the Vaxxine went but not long ago Eric and his bud Johnson disappeared, and nobody knew where or why.

Troubles come along like buses and trams but this hole was metro sized. It was crater sized. It was just too big to ignore. Suddenly it hit me , this was an impact. Something moving very fast had arrived right here and the goulash secret was chicken feed, popcorn and other mouth candy by comparison. This town need leadership like ice cream needs a stick. And who better?
    sicut vis videre esto

I had to make a few tweets and facebook posts and pull a few strings, but by Tuesday I had the comissioner's seat, the police at my back and the mayor in my pocket. I didn't want the position but there was no other way. I proceeded to get the word out to everyone who cared -- every nun and baker and candlestick maker. Conviction rose up inside me like a can of compressed instant biscuit dough that had just been opened next to a greased cookie sheet in a hot kitchen. Right then I made up my mind: We'd flush this goulash down the drain or flush ourselves trying!

This guy turns up, no white coat, but he says he's a scientist. Looks more like a cello player. I knew a cello player once. Looked just like this guy only taller. So my gut was trying to tell me something. Any road up he is full of this story that Goulash is a code word, not too subtle a code word, for a compact nuclear fission module designed to make heat, lots of heat. Something to do with a new sub. At first I picked up the wrong end of that stick. Who wants to eat a really hot sub? I quipped. His face went as still as a waxwork in the sun. OK OK so? Apparently some Hungarian stole the prototype in his convertible VW beetle and beetled off. Now I don't know about you, but I was already questioning his choice of vehicle. OK the little VW is air cooled but no way equipped for that kind of heat. Terror Joules I think is what this guy said, per second. He reckoned this thing could go critical and melt its way down to the centre of the Earth. That's when my brain started to click. It does that sometimes. The hole! Could there be a connection? Who to bring in? How to fill time? What was Mae West LAL connection? Where is that coffee?
    sicut vis videre esto

I set the commissioner's seat back down for a minute to put some coffee on. It only took twenty minutes for the scientist to fill me in about the Goulash, and then we chatted a bit. Turned out he played the chelo for an orchestra accross the street from a Hungarian sub shop, and there weren't too many of those kinds of shops just let me tell you. Suddenly I wanted a Hugarian sub in a big way, so I headed downtown. Sure enough there was a VW beetle outside the place, so I strolled in. It was a small place with maybe ten tables with a Hungarian jukebox playing a little verbunkos. Suddenly everyone got up and started dancing and singing. Someone stuck me with something. It was a gun.

"You want a small hole or a big hole? Gravelly voice, smoker's coughing laugh, sharp push in my ribs, it was Deja Vu all over again. Let's go, you drive.
    I tried to lighten up the situation "Someone let the cat out of the bag, Goulash is heading South for all to see."
    "Shut your face, Marlowe, or the buck stops right here."
    We used my car, we headed South, I needed a break and soon, or it would be curtains for lunch.
    I remembered Salamanca vs Napoleon,
    19... Queen to C5!
    The greatest sacrifice then the fabulous forced mate in nine.
    I made my move,
    I swung the wheel hard left then hard right, destabilising the car, we swerved right while turning over and ended facing the wrong way up the freeway, upside down and spinning. I grabbed the gun and twisted it from the Hungarian's grip using the inverted Heinrich manoevre. In the background a helicopter was getting close.
    I crawled out and starting dodging traffic. A rope dangled nearby I grabbed and held on like a Koala back pack on a Swedish tourist.
    Her voice came to me from above:
    "Hi Phillip, come up and see me some time."
    sicut vis videre esto

I never could argue with her and was up in that helicoper in a James Bond second.

Somebody stung the Hungarian with a dart and hoisted him up into some handcuffs. Finally someone who would listen to my problems! Later I got him to talk about the leadership of Goulash and their plan for solving world hunger with fusion powered subs. It was the wrong plan, but it was a plan. I could respect that. Too bad they weren't planning a fusion powered pizza. I'm partial to Italian.

The information we got gave us the break we needed to get additional help from the police. We explained what was about to happen and that Goulash was about to make everyone eat Hungarian subs forever. No more doughnuts, no more anything. Goulash was building a huge fusion device that would create an unstoppable chain reaction that would take affect and soon, much too soon for the world to get rid of all of its food chains. We had no choice but to stop the reaction before it ever got started. For help I called the Scientist.

I heard the phone ringing. Hazily I came out of the dream. Oh boy, dreaming again, too much goulash, too much booze. The story of my life. I was waking into a strange bed I didn't recognise in a strange room I didn't recognise with the perfume that hit me like a hammer. I can hear a orange being squeezed to death. And soft footsteps.
    sicut vis videre esto

Suddenly, a man bursts into the room! On a dark and stormy night! In a tavern!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The moon was a river of moonlight, tossed upon stormy seas and a highway patrol man came riding, on his Harley, up to the old inn door. What manner of man is this with his cocked hat and sodden cape? Is that a sword changing the shape and silhouette?

Planting his heavy boots a yard astride he faced me, grim faced and determined. He hunched or shrugged his shoulders and spray scattered all the cornersof the room.

You order Pizza? he spat out.

Through the open door came the sounds of a jungle, a man made jungle, where screams go unheard but whispers turn heads.

'Are you Eric?" I ventured.
    sicut vis videre esto

Eric's Medieval Pizza Delivery had been in place for only a few months, yet it was already becoming riotously successful.

Between the Bear and the Maiden Fair--they kept the place bought out.

I checked again, so far two hundred and fifty eight vehicles had driven into the hole. The bottom was black , no sound came back and so no one had any idea how deep it was. The official estimate was, pretty deep. It made the news for a week but since there was nothing more to say, it dropped out and went back to being a local issue. Is this a black hole ran one local news channel? Technically no, this is not black hole and that may be a good thing, said the cello playing scientist. His name was Dr Black. A fine case of positive nominative determinism n. However it is a hole and it is very black, I estimate it may be seventeen miles deep now and about to go critical. What does that mean? Why it means it will reach the molten magma and turn into a volcano. Is that bad? Said the anxiou news hound.

Time to travel. Goulash is about to boil over.
    Last edited by profloater; 2014-Jun-21 at 08:42 PM.
    sicut vis videre esto

Boiling goulash poured out of the deep, dark (but not black) hole like molten lava. The Goulash Layer of the Earth's core had previously been a little-known and widely mocked hypothesis; now scientists and soup makers the world over had to face the searing, aromatic and savory proof of what they had once breezily dismissed as an outright impossibility. Paprika prices abruptly dropped worldwide as the new supply was tapped.

Dr. Black got sixteen papers out of it before falling back into relative obscurity.

Relative obscurity is a bird of mixed plumage, as my aunt Agatha used to say. Most of my relatives retreated into it as soon as my meandering carreer path became clear. Then the other better off ones became obscure selectively. It is better to be self reliant and scrape by. And so said Dr Black as Goulash became the new, well, black. Of course the gusher made mincemeat of downtown, a mountain of mincemeat and trodden lives. You can have too much of a good thing. But life has a way of springing back from the brink.
    I moved a few blocks East and opened up shop again as post-Goulash services were in demand and those services needed a certain kid of guy, with a taste for the wild side.

So it was I was propped back in my chair, feet on desk, contemplating a seconf shot of Bourbon and replaying Salamanca in Detroit, Queen's defense rejected, when those clipped footsteps came to me from the stairwell, and soon the unmistakable perfume wafted, and there as a red blur in the frosted glass of my door, was Mae West's double, or my name's not mud around here. She was hesitating at the threshold, which was strange, not normally a shrinking violet, this dame was all up front. "Hey come in why don't ya" I growled.

And she did, but what a shock!
    sicut vis videre esto

"Sorry about the static electricity, I just got a new wool rug" I added.

"You were taken for a fool" "Only cheap polypropylene carpets build up static"
    "That's why my feet are off the floor, I jump from here to the door in one bound."
    "I've no time for this, are you capable of a little detective work, or do you get paid to foul up your desk?"
    "That depends."

She threw a roll of bills wrapped in a rubber band, "500 in there, twice as much to come if you can deliver."
    "Consider me hired, what's the job?"
    "I want you to find me a man"
    "OK I reckon I can do that."
    " Not just any man, joker, one particular man, they call him, the Hungarian."
    "I know him, we met, in a manner of speaking"

I was the wrong end of a Glock I recalled with a twinge of anticipation.
    "He owes me"
    "So deliver him to me at the Purple Parrot club, alive if possible, he's no use dead."
    "I have a problem with that"
    "Which is?"
    "They won't let me in there without a necktie"
    "So improvise Marlowe"
    She turned and left in a blur of scarlet and Chanel number 5, and diminishing stacatto steps. Sparking.
    sicut vis videre esto