Thread: Jodorowsky's "Dune"?

Jodorowsky's "Dune"?

I'm really stoked to see this documentary about a never-filmed version of the Frank Herbert classic, but I fear it won't open locally. Even so, I'd like to see what you all think about it, and when and if it opens locally I'll check it out and add my two cents.

Years ago I saw him on TV talking about how ill he was when he went to see the Lynch version. And how he felt better and better as he saw what a terrible job Lynch had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Years ago I saw him on TV talking about how ill he was when he went to see the Lynch version. And how he felt better and better as he saw what a terrible job Lynch had done!
    I've always wondered how a Ridley Scott version of Dune would turn out.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Sounds like that dude was dropping way too much acid.

I truly get a kick out of people that claim a movie that was never made would have been better than something that was. Preproduction is very different than trying to film something.

Just a headsup: working on my update for Films of 2014 (LOTS to catch up on) but I thought I'd repost my thoughts on Jodorowsky's Dune here:

Jodorowsky’s Dune is, if not the greatest film never made, certainly the most influential. This impenetrable 14 hour acid trip was meant to change the world, and if it, in some form, had come to be, it’s hard to argue that it wouldn’t have. If it had emerged from Develepment Hell in, say, 1975, whether as a success or, more likely, a failure, it’s highly unlikely that Star Wars would been made. If it had succeeded, perhaps the blockbuster scifi aesthetic that Star Wars pioneered would have merged with the poetry of 70s cinema, creating a stream of science fiction films that owed more to 2001 than Independence Day. If it had failed, expensive science fiction films may never have been greenlit again. Given how many of the crew would go on to work on Alien, Blade Runner and Tron, it feels that in death, its soul has disseminated itself throughout pop culture anyway. That said, with so much immense creative imagination already committed to this project, it seems almost sacrilegious not to give it some form of life, perhaps as an animated series. I think it would make a great anime.

If there is ever a way to travel to alternate universes, I would just see different sci-fi films, and show them ours.

I keep imagining an "Infrared Box" franchise offering films never made in our Universe. Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness, for example. And quite likely anyone's production of Ainulindale or any other pieces of the Silmarillion.

Decades ago there was a story in Asimov's about someone able to contact parallel universes to get novels written by authors who had died prematurely in our universe, and vice versa. At the time I think it was too much of a conceptual leap to have films copied across.

Infrared Box.

You, good sir, are a genius.

The result of the double-slit experiment is in: "Heaven Can Wait" stinks in any universe.

List of alternate Universe films anyone?

CAPRICORN TWO: SAW
    A space advocate has a grisly end in store for Moon-hoax believers. William Proxmire's end is very well done...
    Last edited by publiusr; 2014-Apr-06 at 08:11 PM.

Hunh. It turns out that even if he directs it, Bryan Singer is destined to screw up X3. And that a Dune movie sucks no matter who makes it. And even when his life was prolonged just enough for him to make A.I., Kubrick still stuck that stupid narration on the end.

This was the one where Baron Harkonnen was a living building with a jowled head and a barbed you-know-what?

Bleh.

You mean this? If so, then yes. Why Lynch didn't rehire Giger I'll never know.

We got to see a little of that in PROMETHEUS. The castle had a face that slid off and down the 'gut,' revealing gun ports in the skull eye sockets.
    We got the all skull version as the engineer's pyramid.

The film finally opened locally, and I got back today. I loved it; fast-paced, wry, and insightful on the personalities involved, I'd recommend it to anyone. One of the funniest things about the film is how few of the creators (including Jodorowsky) had even read Dune, leading to the rather apt statement by Jodorowsky that he was violating Herbert's work, which he feels the only way to create a timeless and original film out of it. If you keep in mind that his film was firmly in "inspired by" rather than "based on" territory, you'll get a lot out of his proposed adaptation, IMO. There's a lot of talk of the link between madness and art, and you see it here; Jodorowsky strikes me as borderline manic at times, an energy that's great at creativity but isn't matched with a willingness to compromise on his vision, which probably cost him. The man is still visibly bitter about that, and seeing it onscreen is the only time the film veers into the dark before coming back into the light.

My op on his would-be magnum opus is a little more mixed: it was tremendously imaginative, and the design work by Moebius and Foss in particular was stellar, but I think it was unfilmable in terms of cost, technology, and audience, and would be a pretty tough sell even today. I was pleased, however, to see that a lot of the work that went into was reused in other films and media, and agree with him in thinking that this would make a pretty decent animated series, the only medium that could do justice to the length he wanted.
    Last edited by Romanus; 2014-Apr-20 at 01:19 AM.