Page 22 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: SpaceX

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I wasn't, so good news for me. Or is it...still need to calculate my local time for the launch. ...done et voila: the most impossible hour in the middle of the night. I'll watch the replay. Best of luck with the launch and landing!

Hello,

Where do I find the live feed? Also, is the launch 9:30ish AST? There is an hour's difference in my time...so it's approx. 8:47pm in Halifax. Thanks!

Edit: found one.
    Last edited by banquo's_bumble_puppy; 2015-Dec-22 at 01:01 AM.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

Way too slick for my taste, so far. But we haven't gotten to the real time stuff yet.

ETA: about five minutes now.

ETAA: Erector retracting. Live feed is TERRIBLE!
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2015-Dec-22 at 01:28 AM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Landing successful. I've been ignoring the hungry cat for 10 minutes, guess I can feed her now.

First stage has landed!

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

Way too slick for my taste, so far. But we haven't gotten to the real time stuff yet.

ETA: about five minutes now.

ETAA: Erector retracting. Live feed is TERRIBLE!
    Yeah I had terrible trouble. Fortunately it worked during the main event. Certainly they inject more life into the proceedings than we're used to we NASA and their tweed blazers.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Yeah I had terrible trouble. Fortunately it worked during the main event. Certainly they inject more life into the proceedings than we're used to we NASA and their tweed blazers.
    I'd rather just hear the controller communications.

WOW! That was one beautiful launch! I could see the first reentry burn in my binocs before it went behind some clouds. The second stage engine plume was marvelous, and I think we got a bit of a sonic boom as the first stage decelerated below Mach 1 on it's way TO SUCCESSFULLY LANDING!!!!!

Now to wait for launch replays to see the rocket cam views!

Go SpaceX! Woohoo!

CJSF

P.S.
    Oh, the rocket's primary mission was also a success - all 11 satellites deployed!
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    So this is the first time in history that the first stage has been recovered for reuse after a launch?

It's the first time a first stage has been successfully landed from an operational mission and/or an orbital mission (Blue Origin did it recently with a sub-orbital test).

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

Congratulations SpaceX for a successful launch and a historic making landing of the 1st stage of an operational rocket.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/21/1...anding-success

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Time to get SpaceX stock...Mr. Musk, et al continue to amaze. A certain organisation could maybe take some pointers...don't want to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    So this is the first time in history that the first stage has been recovered for reuse after a launch?
    If you consider the Space Shuttle external boosters to be part of the first stage, then no, because they were recovered (though by parachute). I'm sure it's been done elsewhere as well.
    As above, so below

Woo! Congrats, great job, guys!

Earth Base here, the Falcon has landed. Congratulations, SpaceX!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Pournelle
    ... landed on a tail of fire just as God and Robert Heinlein intended rockets to do.
    He was talking about DC/X at the time, but I think it applies here too.

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

It's pretty cool stuff. If they can manage to land something like that, maybe they could develop a self-driving car.
    As above, so below

Yippee! They did it! At last SpaceX has been able to land it's first stage, all in one piece & upright, at the Cape! Congratulations to everyone involved in the operation!

CBC...nnnooo...it wasn't Jeff Bezos...I can't believe they just said that...I prescribe a large double, double...Tim Horton's coffee

Sorry

Interesting little thing I noticed at staging: When the first stage engines were shut down, the stack was travelling at just over 6000 km/h. By the time the second stage engine ignited, that speed had dropped to about 5700 km/h. But even so the stack continued to lose speed for about half a minute more. It eventually bottomed out at about 5650 km/h. So obviously at ignition and for a little while later, the mass of the second stage and payload is greater than the engine's thrust - it's only as the propellant is used that the mass drops enough that the stack can actually accelerate.

I remember reading somewhere that this also happened on nominal launches of the Space Shuttle: after the SRBs were discarded, for a few seconds afterwards the mass of the Orbiter and ET plus propellant was high enough that the stack lost speed, but more than made up for it as it got lighter.

It's not a problem - the fact the payload makes it to orbit demonstrates that. It's just one of those little counter-intuitive things you sometimes see.

Congrats to SpaceX. I hope the booster can be refurbished at a cost that makes this a viable business model.

BTW I watched on SpaceX's YouTube channel, and it was glitch-free. Thanks to whoever suggested that a few flights back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

It's awesome when you have people who don't just look at the spreadsheets but who, as Sir Terry Pratchett put it, "imagined a different world, and bent metal around it."
    Congratulations, SpaceX; let's hope this pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Congrats to SpaceX. I hope the booster can be refurbished at a cost that makes this a viable business model.

BTW I watched on SpaceX's YouTube channel, and it was glitch-free. Thanks to whoever suggested that a few flights back.

Apparently this booster is headed straight to the museum. Kinda makes one scratch their head.

It makes sense that they will probably inspect the heck out of this first landed booster and test it to the hilt - which may include some disassembly. They will want to learn as much as possible about how well the stages survive the process. I don't think the intent was ever to return first recovered stage to flight. Once they are done testing it and, if necessary, it is reassembled, it belongs in a museum.

I can see they might do some refurbishment work, but only to the extent that it gives them some experience.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

I wonder how they managed the "bullseye" landing? Dumb question...technolgy of course!

I wasn't specifically referring to this booster for refurbishment. I kinda assumed the engineers would disassemble this one for analysis.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I wasn't specifically referring to this booster for refurbishment. I kinda assumed the engineers would disassemble this one for analysis.

I was more replying to banquo's bumble puppy, but thank you for the clarification.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
    Interesting little thing I noticed at staging: When the first stage engines were shut down, the stack was travelling at just over 6000 km/h. By the time the second stage engine ignited, that speed had dropped to about 5700 km/h. But even so the stack continued to lose speed for about half a minute more. It eventually bottomed out at about 5650 km/h. So obviously at ignition and for a little while later, the mass of the second stage and payload is greater than the engine's thrust - it's only as the propellant is used that the mass drops enough that the stack can actually accelerate.

I remember reading somewhere that this also happened on nominal launches of the Space Shuttle: after the SRBs were discarded, for a few seconds afterwards the mass of the Orbiter and ET plus propellant was high enough that the stack lost speed, but more than made up for it as it got lighter.

It's not a problem - the fact the payload makes it to orbit demonstrates that. It's just one of those little counter-intuitive things you sometimes see.
    I seem to recall that this was deliberately done to reduce stresses on the payload
    Its never too late to have a happy childhood

full uninterrupted video has been posted on youtube

Unbelievable. SpaceX nailed it. Congrats to all involved
    Its never too late to have a happy childhood

I wonder how much they spent on that barge they no longer need? Or will they need it for different flight profiles?

There are plans to use the barges for some flight profiles where a return to land isn't as feasible (and when they've had more practice).

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org