Page 112 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3558

Thread: SpaceX

  1. #3331
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    You know with all the numbers really wishing they had chosen to call them 'Thunderbird' instead of Starship.
    Is that in reference to the tv series? I’ve heard of it but never watched it. Speaking of another series, I am hoping they will eventually name one Enterprise so I can say I’ve seen a real Starship Enterprise. And who knows? If they really can build them inexpensively, they could eventually put an RTG or small reactor in one, send it on a solar escape trajectory and load it with some instruments for research, for a true, if slow, starship.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  2. #3332
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19,151
    Iím slightly annoyed that they aborted when I was watching and did the hop later when I was temporarily not monitoring electronic devices. It kind of killed any excitement. But, good to see the progress. Now I can believe a grain silo can fly . . . as long as it is filled with liquid oxygen and methane.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  3. #3333
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,443
    I didn't see/hear a reason for the abort yesterday.

  4. #3334
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    You know with all the numbers really wishing they had chosen to call them 'Thunderbird' instead of Starship.
    Thunderbirds are Go!

    One of my favorite shows as a kid.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  5. #3335
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What about six and seven? Six is standing tall in the mid-bay.
    Wasn't 7 one of the ones "tested to failure" for tank pressure, or am I not remembering right?

    CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

    -They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"


    lonelybirder.org

  6. #3336
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Thunderbirds are Go!

    One of my favorite shows as a kid.
    Was that in the US? And would this have been in the mid Ď60s? I just donít recall hearing about it until I was much older, and the show was much older too. By the time I remember hearing about it, I didnít care for the puppets. I wonder if it just wasnít on the local stations I watched? I would have been in Anchorage in Ď65 and I think the TV there was a little limited then, but I was young and donít remember details. UFO is the first Anderson series I remember watching.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  7. #3337
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Wasn't 7 one of the ones "tested to failure" for tank pressure, or am I not remembering right?

    CJSF
    I believe you are correct.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYBwCotSZ5A

  8. #3338
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What about six and seven? Six is standing tall in the mid-bay.
    SN7 was the test tank they intentionally popped, patched, and then blew to pieces while testing changes for SN8's tank design. IIRC, SN8 has those changes, uses thicker metal plate in some areas instead of multiple layers of sheet, and uses the new alloys.

    Extrapolating from what Musk has said, I think SN6 is mostly a backup for SN5 at this point. Do some more small hops with those two while SN8 gets its nose and flaps installed, so it's no big setback if one of them gets destroyed or damaged, and the bugs get worked out before they risk a more complete build.

  9. #3339
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,760
    I'm still curious which mass simulator had the highest apogee: SN4 or SN5...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  10. #3340
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What about six and seven? Six is standing tall in the mid-bay.
    .
    SN7 was a test tank

    SN6 may or may not fly, there's a big debate and Musk's not talking. The against argument is that all the 304L steel parts for SN8 have been seen and are being assembled.

  11. #3341
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Another big crawler crane

    Manitowoc 14000
    Main boom: 89 meters
    With luffing jib: 110 meters
    Capacity: 200 tonnes

    Attachment 25431

  12. #3342
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Boca Chica progress video

    SN8 is stacking

    https://youtu.be/egDXR8vSwSY

  13. #3343
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    The test stand looks like it's in pretty good condition, and they're preparing to move SN-05...somewhere. Back to the test stand, or to the build area? Dunno.

    With SN-08 parts present and stacking an SN-05 reflight isn't out of the question - see what she can take.

    https://youtu.be/nTeeT4WVIfY

  14. #3344
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,888
    Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    The test stand looks like it's in pretty good condition, and they're preparing to move SN-05...somewhere. Back to the test stand, or to the build area? Dunno.

    With SN-08 parts present and stacking an SN-05 reflight isn't out of the question - see what she can take.

    https://youtu.be/nTeeT4WVIfY
    Just watched that one. The close-up shots of the legs were interesting. Gives the impression that landing pad has a slope and the legs compensated for it to put the vehicle upright. Very impressive if that's the case, but I suspect it's not. Probably just Mary (Bocachicagal) aligned the camera to the vehicle which would be an extremely natural thing to do. In any case the leg on the left (in the video) is definitely shorter than the ones on the right.

    It occurred to me yesterday that while the public focus has mostly been on the building of the rocket bodies in such a seemingly unsophisticated manner, right out in the open, the engine and control technologies are extremely advanced.

    I'd forgotten about the "SN-7" test tank. Still be interesting to see what becomes of 6.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #3345
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,888
    Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Boca Chica progress video

    SN8 is stacking

    https://youtu.be/egDXR8vSwSY
    And that one. Looks like they must have about reached the limit of the boom-lifts for the guys working on the high bay. Wonder how they're going to do the next tier.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  16. #3346
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    And that one. Looks like they must have about reached the limit of the boom-lifts for the guys working on the high bay. Wonder how they're going to do the next tier.
    Those ironworkers have big brass ones. They'll figure it out.

  17. #3347
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,888
    Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Those ironworkers have big brass ones. They'll figure it out.
    They are up so high it doesn't even trigger my fall-o-phobia!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  18. #3348
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    StarLink 9

    F9 B1051 is now a candidate for a 6th launch.

    Qapla!!

    https://youtu.be/KU6KogxG5BE
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-07 at 07:59 AM.

  19. #3349
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,760
    Well, candidate, it's not like they asked her.

    Good to see the reusability going in the direction that was advertised.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  20. #3350
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,270
    So SpaceX's week can be summarized as 2 up 3 down.

  21. #3351
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    And here's the first 6th flight booster: StarLink v1.0 Flight 10

    Date: TBD (August)
    Window: TBD
    Pad: SLC-40
    Booster: 1049.6*
    Recovery: ASDS
    Secondary payloads: Planet Labs SkySat-19, 20 and 21

    * previous launches,
    September 2018: Telstar 18 VANTAGE
    January 2019: Iridium 8
    May 2019: Starlink V0.9
    January 2020; Starlink V1.0 L2
    June 2020: Starlink V1.0 L7

  22. #3352
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444

  23. #3353
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,443
    Two questions if you know.
    1. What is the significance if any with the black hexagonal section in the lower image?
    2. What are the black objects along the side of the body? What are their purpose?

  24. #3354
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,891
    Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    The Starship-scale crush core equivalent is interesting: a series of holes drilled in the leg, increasing in diameter toward the end so it crumples in a controlled fashion from the tip inward.

  25. #3355
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Two questions if you know.
    1. What is the significance if any with the black hexagonal section in the lower image?
    2. What are the black objects along the side of the body? What are their purpose?
    They're hexagonal ceramic thermal protection tiles for re-entry. It's thought these are based on NASA's TUFROC, which SpaceX signed a Space Act Agreement to access 2 years ago.TUFROC is used on X-37B, and will be used on Dream Chaser. SpaceX will no doubt formulate an enhanced TUFROC-X version like they did with Dragon's PICA-X heat shield.

    SpaceX has been testing several attachment systems ranging from adhesive or snap-on to pins of several typss. A few fell off, so that system goes back to the drawing board.

    The black cylinders are COPV's containing methane, or cold gas for the reaction control system.

    SpaceX Resorts?

    https://boards.greenhouse.io/spacex/...jid=4816599002

    RESORT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER

    SpaceX is committed to developing revolutionary space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets. Boca Chica Village is our latest launch site dedicated to Starship, our next generation launch vehicle. SpaceX is committed to developing this town into a 21st century Spaceport. We are looking for a talented Resort Development Manager to oversee the development of SpaceX's first resort from inception to completion.

  26. #3356
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    They're hexagonal ceramic thermal protection tiles for re-entry. It's thought these are based on NASA's TUFROC, which SpaceX signed a Space Act Agreement to access 2 years ago.TUFROC is used on X-37B, and will be used on Dream Chaser. SpaceX will no doubt formulate an enhanced TUFROC-X version like they did with Dragon's PICA-X heat shield.

    SpaceX has been testing several attachment systems ranging from adhesive or snap-on to pins of several typss. A few fell off, so that system goes back to the drawing board.

    The black cylinders are COPV's containing methane, or cold gas for the reaction control system.

    SpaceX Resorts?

    https://boards.greenhouse.io/spacex/...jid=4816599002
    They just didn't look aerodynamic but I can envision shield testing on these hops although the temperature won't really get high enough to really do good testing. The gas canisters are enclosed in inter stage why not build them that way. I would assume (I know) that those vehicles scheduled for higher hops might have them enclosed.

  27. #3357
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    They just didn't look aerodynamic but I can envision shield testing on these hops although the temperature won't really get high enough to really do good testing. The gas canisters are enclosed in inter stage why not build them that way. I would assume (I know) that those vehicles scheduled for higher hops might have them enclosed.
    The Starship concept images and Mk-1 prototype show long chines which act as fin fairings, protection for the Tesla electric motors driving the fin hydraulic pumps, and protection for other external items. They also act as raceways for plumbing and wiring. Starship also uses Tesla batteries, like F9, FH and Dragon

    SpaceX-Starship-Mk1-chine 1024.jpg
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-07 at 07:57 PM.

  28. #3358
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What about six and seven? Six is standing tall in the mid-bay.
    SN-07 is a test tank. They may use it to test different thrust pucks; 3 engine, 6 engine, 9 engine, 31 engine.

    Unconfirmed, but they may switch off between SN-05 and SN-06; one in refurb, one on the.pad, for vertical hops. Both are cold rolled 301 stainless steel. SN-08 is the first 304L family custom alloy bird, made for fins etc. and high skydiver landing tests.

    More news;

    Engine name: "Raptor" is shorthand for Velociraptor.

    Thrust to weight ratio: Musk thinks they can get Velociraptor even with Merlin 1D: ~ 180:1

    Full stack height: 122 meters. Fixed fin-legs on the Super Heavy booster make it 2 meters taller.

    Earth Point to Point: "Increasingly likely"
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-08 at 12:33 AM.

  29. #3359
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,891
    Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Engine name: "Raptor" is shorthand for Velociraptor.
    ...that is indeed news. Per Mueller, it was named "Raptor" after the general class of predatory birds, to go along with the Falcon launch vehicles and the Merlin and Kestrel engines (https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Merlin-...Merlin-engines). I don't believe Elon's ever mentioned dinosaurs in the context of Raptor before.

    Whatever. Elon, you're the one flying grain silos around, call it what you want. I don't think "Velociraptor" is going to displace "Raptor" as well as "Starship" has done so for "BFR", though.

  30. #3360
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,760
    It's not a namechange but a clarification of what kind of Raptor it's refering to.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •