Page 112 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3558

Thread: SpaceX

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    You know with all the numbers really wishing they had chosen to call them 'Thunderbird' instead of Starship.
    Is that in reference to the tv series? I’ve heard of it but never watched it. Speaking of another series, I am hoping they will eventually name one Enterprise so I can say I’ve seen a real Starship Enterprise. And who knows? If they really can build them inexpensively, they could eventually put an RTG or small reactor in one, send it on a solar escape trajectory and load it with some instruments for research, for a true, if slow, starship.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Iím slightly annoyed that they aborted when I was watching and did the hop later when I was temporarily not monitoring electronic devices. It kind of killed any excitement. But, good to see the progress. Now I can believe a grain silo can fly . . . as long as it is filled with liquid oxygen and methane.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I didn't see/hear a reason for the abort yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    You know with all the numbers really wishing they had chosen to call them 'Thunderbird' instead of Starship.
    Thunderbirds are Go!

One of my favorite shows as a kid.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What about six and seven? Six is standing tall in the mid-bay.
    Wasn't 7 one of the ones "tested to failure" for tank pressure, or am I not remembering right?

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Thunderbirds are Go!

One of my favorite shows as a kid.
    Was that in the US? And would this have been in the mid Ď60s? I just donít recall hearing about it until I was much older, and the show was much older too. By the time I remember hearing about it, I didnít care for the puppets. I wonder if it just wasnít on the local stations I watched? I would have been in Anchorage in Ď65 and I think the TV there was a little limited then, but I was young and donít remember details. UFO is the first Anderson series I remember watching.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Wasn't 7 one of the ones "tested to failure" for tank pressure, or am I not remembering right?

CJSF
    I believe you are correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYBwCotSZ5A

SN7 was the test tank they intentionally popped, patched, and then blew to pieces while testing changes for SN8's tank design. IIRC, SN8 has those changes, uses thicker metal plate in some areas instead of multiple layers of sheet, and uses the new alloys.

Extrapolating from what Musk has said, I think SN6 is mostly a backup for SN5 at this point. Do some more small hops with those two while SN8 gets its nose and flaps installed, so it's no big setback if one of them gets destroyed or damaged, and the bugs get worked out before they risk a more complete build.

I'm still curious which mass simulator had the highest apogee: SN4 or SN5...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

SN7 was a test tank

SN6 may or may not fly, there's a big debate and Musk's not talking. The against argument is that all the 304L steel parts for SN8 have been seen and are being assembled.

Another big crawler crane

Manitowoc 14000
    Main boom: 89 meters
    With luffing jib: 110 meters
    Capacity: 200 tonnes

Attachment 25431

Boca Chica progress video

SN8 is stacking

https://youtu.be/egDXR8vSwSY

The test stand looks like it's in pretty good condition, and they're preparing to move SN-05...somewhere. Back to the test stand, or to the build area? Dunno.

With SN-08 parts present and stacking an SN-05 reflight isn't out of the question - see what she can take.

https://youtu.be/nTeeT4WVIfY

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    The test stand looks like it's in pretty good condition, and they're preparing to move SN-05...somewhere. Back to the test stand, or to the build area? Dunno.

With SN-08 parts present and stacking an SN-05 reflight isn't out of the question - see what she can take.

https://youtu.be/nTeeT4WVIfY
    Just watched that one. The close-up shots of the legs were interesting. Gives the impression that landing pad has a slope and the legs compensated for it to put the vehicle upright. Very impressive if that's the case, but I suspect it's not. Probably just Mary (Bocachicagal) aligned the camera to the vehicle which would be an extremely natural thing to do. In any case the leg on the left (in the video) is definitely shorter than the ones on the right.

It occurred to me yesterday that while the public focus has mostly been on the building of the rocket bodies in such a seemingly unsophisticated manner, right out in the open, the engine and control technologies are extremely advanced.

I'd forgotten about the "SN-7" test tank. Still be interesting to see what becomes of 6.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Boca Chica progress video

SN8 is stacking

https://youtu.be/egDXR8vSwSY
    And that one. Looks like they must have about reached the limit of the boom-lifts for the guys working on the high bay. Wonder how they're going to do the next tier.

And that one. Looks like they must have about reached the limit of the boom-lifts for the guys working on the high bay. Wonder how they're going to do the next tier.
    Those ironworkers have big brass ones. They'll figure it out.

Those ironworkers have big brass ones. They'll figure it out.
    They are up so high it doesn't even trigger my fall-o-phobia!

StarLink 9

F9 B1051 is now a candidate for a 6th launch.

Qapla!!

https://youtu.be/KU6KogxG5BE
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-07 at 07:59 AM.

Well, candidate, it's not like they asked her.

Good to see the reusability going in the direction that was advertised.

So SpaceX's week can be summarized as 2 up 3 down.

And here's the first 6th flight booster: StarLink v1.0 Flight 10

Date: TBD (August)
    Window: TBD
    Pad: SLC-40
    Booster: 1049.6*
    Recovery: ASDS
    Secondary payloads: Planet Labs SkySat-19, 20 and 21

* previous launches,
    September 2018: Telstar 18 VANTAGE
    January 2019: Iridium 8
    May 2019: Starlink V0.9
    January 2020; Starlink V1.0 L2
    June 2020: Starlink V1.0 L7

Two questions if you know.
    1. What is the significance if any with the black hexagonal section in the lower image?
    2. What are the black objects along the side of the body? What are their purpose?

The Starship-scale crush core equivalent is interesting: a series of holes drilled in the leg, increasing in diameter toward the end so it crumples in a controlled fashion from the tip inward.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Two questions if you know.
    1. What is the significance if any with the black hexagonal section in the lower image?
    2. What are the black objects along the side of the body? What are their purpose?
    They're hexagonal ceramic thermal protection tiles for re-entry. It's thought these are based on NASA's TUFROC, which SpaceX signed a Space Act Agreement to access 2 years ago.TUFROC is used on X-37B, and will be used on Dream Chaser. SpaceX will no doubt formulate an enhanced TUFROC-X version like they did with Dragon's PICA-X heat shield.

SpaceX has been testing several attachment systems ranging from adhesive or snap-on to pins of several typss. A few fell off, so that system goes back to the drawing board.

The black cylinders are COPV's containing methane, or cold gas for the reaction control system.

SpaceX Resorts?

https://boards.greenhouse.io/spacex/...jid=4816599002

RESORT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER

SpaceX is committed to developing revolutionary space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets. Boca Chica Village is our latest launch site dedicated to Starship, our next generation launch vehicle. SpaceX is committed to developing this town into a 21st century Spaceport. We are looking for a talented Resort Development Manager to oversee the development of SpaceX's first resort from inception to completion.

They're hexagonal ceramic thermal protection tiles for re-entry. It's thought these are based on NASA's TUFROC, which SpaceX signed a Space Act Agreement to access 2 years ago.TUFROC is used on X-37B, and will be used on Dream Chaser. SpaceX will no doubt formulate an enhanced TUFROC-X version like they did with Dragon's PICA-X heat shield.

SpaceX has been testing several attachment systems ranging from adhesive or snap-on to pins of several typss. A few fell off, so that system goes back to the drawing board.

The black cylinders are COPV's containing methane, or cold gas for the reaction control system.

SpaceX Resorts?

https://boards.greenhouse.io/spacex/...jid=4816599002
    They just didn't look aerodynamic but I can envision shield testing on these hops although the temperature won't really get high enough to really do good testing. The gas canisters are enclosed in inter stage why not build them that way. I would assume (I know) that those vehicles scheduled for higher hops might have them enclosed.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    They just didn't look aerodynamic but I can envision shield testing on these hops although the temperature won't really get high enough to really do good testing. The gas canisters are enclosed in inter stage why not build them that way. I would assume (I know) that those vehicles scheduled for higher hops might have them enclosed.
    The Starship concept images and Mk-1 prototype show long chines which act as fin fairings, protection for the Tesla electric motors driving the fin hydraulic pumps, and protection for other external items. They also act as raceways for plumbing and wiring. Starship also uses Tesla batteries, like F9, FH and Dragon

SpaceX-Starship-Mk1-chine 1024.jpg
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-07 at 07:57 PM.

SN-07 is a test tank. They may use it to test different thrust pucks; 3 engine, 6 engine, 9 engine, 31 engine.

Unconfirmed, but they may switch off between SN-05 and SN-06; one in refurb, one on the.pad, for vertical hops. Both are cold rolled 301 stainless steel. SN-08 is the first 304L family custom alloy bird, made for fins etc. and high skydiver landing tests.

More news;

Engine name: "Raptor" is shorthand for Velociraptor.

Thrust to weight ratio: Musk thinks they can get Velociraptor even with Merlin 1D: ~ 180:1

Full stack height: 122 meters. Fixed fin-legs on the Super Heavy booster make it 2 meters taller.

Earth Point to Point: "Increasingly likely"
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-08 at 12:33 AM.

Engine name: "Raptor" is shorthand for Velociraptor.
    ...that is indeed news. Per Mueller, it was named "Raptor" after the general class of predatory birds, to go along with the Falcon launch vehicles and the Merlin and Kestrel engines (https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Merlin-...Merlin-engines). I don't believe Elon's ever mentioned dinosaurs in the context of Raptor before.

Whatever. Elon, you're the one flying grain silos around, call it what you want. I don't think "Velociraptor" is going to displace "Raptor" as well as "Starship" has done so for "BFR", though.

It's not a namechange but a clarification of what kind of Raptor it's refering to.