Page 169 of 184 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,070 of 5510

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    May I recommend this one? It's by a mother and daughter who became fan of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series of sea stories, set in the Napoleonic era, and then noticed the many descriptions of food and decided to learn to cook it. The pies and puddings are incredible.

ETA: I should say the descriptions are incredible, I've not tried to fix them!
    I seem to have eaten a surprising proportion of those. I'm disappointed by the absence of Drowned Baby Pudding, though.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    May I recommend this one? It's by a mother and daughter who became fan of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series of sea stories, set in the Napoleonic era, and then noticed the many descriptions of food and decided to learn to cook it. The pies and puddings are incredible.

ETA: I should say the descriptions are incredible, I've not tried to fix them!
    Added it to my list! It turns out the person who writes a lot of the big-name ones (including both the ones I mentioned in my last post) are by a woman who's married to someone one of Simon's godparents went to grad school with. Small world, isn't it?

It makes me very happy how dedicated the staff of Simon's school has been in this time. Various administrators and things have posted "virtual office hours," where they're guaranteed to be checking their e-mail. Simon's IEP is due in April, which is trying at the best of times--it's a very busy time of the school year for the staff--but my goodness they're going above and beyond this year. Especially because the forms have had to have bits added to them to explain why what he's supposed to be doing isn't happening this year because of its dependence on having peers to interact with.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Do you have the Star Wars cookbooks? I always wanted to make things out of them as a kid but my Mom didn’t trust me in the kitchen.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I seem to have eaten a surprising proportion of those. I'm disappointed by the absence of Drowned Baby Pudding, though.

Grant Hutchison
    Oh, it's there - page 92.

Drowned (Boiled) Baby

4 cups flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups raisins
    1/2 pound suet, finely grated
    Ice water

In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar and salt and cinnamon. Stir in the raisins, breaking them apart (the flour will coat them and keep them from clumping together). Mix in the suet.

Work in 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water. Continue gradually adding ice water until you have a stiff paste (it will probably take about a cup of water), but this will vary based on temperature, humidity....) etc.

(I'm not typing out the rest of the recipe but you get the idea. Make a giant pasty dough and wrap in a well-floured cloth, then boil for two and a half hours.)

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Oh, it's there - page 92.
    Ah, so it is. Thanks!

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Sounds yummy! But in NZ surely it should have been a mutton curry? (I love the smell of garam masala - used it in some dhal the other day)
    I tend to buy whatever's on sale in the supermarket, which for sheep based products often means chops that come marinated in something. So I don't actually make a lot of curry with lamb or mutton, I mostly end up roasting chops.

Never learned to make dhal - would have been useful in this time of lock-down. A bucket of dried lentils would have lasted a while.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I tend to buy whatever's on sale in the supermarket, which for sheep based products often means chops that come marinated in something. So I don't actually make a lot of curry with lamb or mutton, I mostly end up roasting chops.

Never learned to make dhal - would have been useful in this time of lock-down. A bucket of dried lentils would have lasted a while.
    Ah buying on sale - a man after my own heart. Dhal is actually very easy to make after your first go. It certainly is a good comfort food and 250 gm of lentils make a big potful.

Today is the tenth anniversary of my retirement. Haven't regretted it for a moment.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yesterday was a really beautiful day. After urgent care, I went to Costco, the dollar store, and the grocery store--where I ran into a college friend. We were both wearing masks, and we were a proper six feet away from each other, but we had a chat with people not in our families, and that was really good for both of us. Then I took the kids for a walk looking for the lake a couple of blocks away. Access is closed right now, but we did find it, and it was a pleasant walk. Came home to find that two of my friends had sent me things--one was a housewarming gift, and one was a packet of printed-off museum coloring pages for the kids. I got a little sewing done, and Simon and I played a game together. Really a very nice day.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

With the easing of isolation restrictions (gatherings of 10 allowed instead of 2) our Grand-kids wanted to come over to see us. Some nice person had placed about 20 stuffed animals in a copse of trees around a bike path. It is only a hundred metres away from our front door and it was a lovely day today so we took them on a Bear Hunt. Our parks have never been closed but the playground equipment is still off-limits.

Apart from teddy bears there were various other animal favourites.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bearhunt1copy.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	911.0 KB 
ID:	25199

Name:	Bearhunt4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	784.3 KB 
ID:	25200

Name:	Bearhunt3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	780.4 KB 
ID:	25201

We actually some more instant coffee.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I've been here for fifteen years.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Noob!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Cinnamon Sundae, our somewhat overweight cat who follows me around everywhere like a puppy, is snoring behind me.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    13 years for me come this fall.

Which is why I was talking to a 13-year-old on another site a few days ago and I had the realization, which I am sure I caused many CQers when I was younger, that I had been posting on the Internet as long as the person I was talking to online had been alive.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Checks first post date...YIKES, 16 years!
    And that doesn't even include the time I spent lurking!
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Which is why I was talking to a 13-year-old on another site a few days ago and I had the realization, which I am sure I caused many CQers when I was younger, that I had been posting on the Internet as long as the person I was talking to online had been alive.
    I can remember giving a lecture to a room full of final-year medical students, and being struck by the fact that I owned T-shirts considerably older than any of them. That could just be me, though.

Grant Hutchison

Yes, I have had moments where I have thought along those lines too. In a way, I have been online one way or another for 41 years. At my university, on a timeshare PDP-11/35 accessible around campus and a few dialups in 1979, there was a message-board that looked much like a single thread here. Starting in the early ‘80s I was on various local multi-thread BBSs and had discussions with others on many of the same topics as today. Only one person could access them at a time, though, so that limited the number of users. I first got on the early internet through usenet around ‘85 or so, though I wasn’t on it a lot. Also Compuserve, which was good for tech support, email and a lot of the things the internet is used for today, but was too expensive to use much (I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was like $15 an hour at night, which would be more like $35 today). Then I started accessing the web through a Compuserve portal in the early ‘90s, and soon found I was mostly using Compuserve just to access the web, and could radically cut my costs by joining an ISP.

Then 10 years or so later I joined BABB and 16 years after that, I’m still here.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I can remember giving a lecture to a room full of final-year medical students, and being struck by the fact that I owned T-shirts considerably older than any of them. That could just be me, though.

Grant Hutchison
    Some time ago I lectured on Newtonian mechanics to design students and for some reason mentioned steam tables. A room full of blank looks. It was at Brunel University, and I also wrongly assumed they would know the name, but no.
    Ah well, the moving finger writes, and having writ, moves on.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Checks first post date...YIKES, 16 years!
    And that doesn't even include the time I spent lurking!
    You made me look. My first BABB post was June 6, 2002 so I'm coming up on 18 years, including a 1-year hiatus during which BABB became BAUT.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Grant Hutchison
    I have a t-shirt commemorating a sporting event from 1991. Still unworn. No, it doesn’t fit.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I have a t-shirt commemorating a sporting event from 1991. Still unworn. No, it doesn’t fit.
    I have two t-shirts I bought in 1976. Still worn, still fit.

Grant Hutchison

My start date is listed as Feb 2003. I'm pretty sure that is wrong. I have the notable ability to pick winners and losers. At every step of the way I anticipated the mergers before they happened. My screen names for BABB and UT were merged and the same happened when we became CQ. At some point, I had the Solphe account on BABB which was merged into this account during the BAUT years.

Anyway, I had to write a paper for an English class on censorship in children lit. I was pretty proud of the title: "Auguries in Blue Pencil".
    Solfe

Where do you find your "First Post" date? My profile's "Join Date" shows as 2001-Oct-22, which I don't think is entirely accurate because I remember a significant event a little more than a month earlier than that, and I'm pretty sure I was already posting at Bad Astronomy when it happened. Maybe I was just lurking - our memories do play tricks on us sometimes.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Where do you find your "First Post" date? My profile's "Join Date" shows as 2001-Oct-22, which I don't think is entirely accurate because I remember a significant event a little more than a month earlier than that, and I'm pretty sure I was already posting at Bad Astronomy when it happened. Maybe I was just lurking - our memories do play tricks on us sometimes.
    The date is accurate. We were posting on a Matt's Script version of the board for several years before that, but there was no registration involved in that set-up. When the board got too cluttered and slow to load, Phil would trim the oldest posts off the bottom. He wanted to move to a platform that was better than that. I think I first posted to the original board in 1999.

I have two t-shirts I bought in 1976. Still worn, still fit.
    Well, that's the year I was born.

I have a few shirts that I've started referring to as "old enough to vote." My futon mattress was, too, but we dumped that mattress in the move and now have a new one. Unfortunately, I think I bought the wrong size.

"You can't erase icing."

From the Advanced Search function, your first post after the change in forum software was on 2001-Oct-23:

I had posted a response to this just before the board was cleared before, but I'll try again.

I think the issue with this question ties into the SR 'paradox' of simultaneity. When we say that "the rockets are undergoing the same acceleration starting from the same initial velocity at the same time," what that really means is that the two rockets will reach any given velocity (say, 0.5c) at the same time.

[...]
    You can use dig up old bones using the Advanced Search/Search Single Content Type tab:

Keywords: blank
    Username:yours
    Tag:blank
    Search in Forum(s):All open forums
    Also search in child forums:checked
    Find Threads with:blank
    Find Post(s):Any Date, And Newer (or And Older)
    Sort Results by:Last Posting Date, in Ascending Order (oldest post will appear first)
    Show Results as:Posts
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Almost 17 years on BABB/BAUT/CQ. But I've been on the Internet from before there was an Internet. I was on BITnet in the early 80s (never did ARPAnet). I was on some dial-up BBs in the mid 80s (I remember a Star Trek one I was pretty active on in the late 80s).

I probably have some t-shirts from the early 80s (my Great Hudson River Revival ones, for example), but I don't wear them any longer. I was wearing my 1998 Cleveland Indians Division Champions shirt the other day.

But I probably encounter this most when I volunteer with the park system. I routinely work with staff who weren't alive when I started volunteering with the park (32 years).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I was on some dial-up BBs in the mid 80s (I remember a Star Trek one I was pretty active on in the late 80s).
    I was briefly on a NASA BBS in the late 1980s, which was where I learned that LDEF, Long Duration Exposure Facility, also stood for Long Dark Elegant Female.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I finished my lesson plans for the month of May.

Usually, I have a set of activities for a week then a write my plan which is maybe a page per lesson. I cross reference all them back to the student's trackable goals, which is one binder for each student. Finally, I assign staff to students and arrange students in groups which gets noted in the lesson plan.

Doing this remotely, I cut everything to the bone and still ended up with a 450+ page, student facing documentation. It isn't much different than what I would do in the classroom, but all of this work would normally be div'd up among 4 staff and never in a single massive pile of paper. I can't believe how much work we do.
    Solfe