Page 13 of 207 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Congrats, redshifter!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Yay!

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    My Mom is getting released from the hospital today! YAY!!!

Thanks all for the good vibes! She was in a bit longer than expected but so far her recovery is going well.

I have a rock in front of me. I can pick it up and hold it in my hand. It fell from space in 1947. SPACE! SPACE!!!

You can't get much more awesome than that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I have a rock in front of me. I can pick it up and hold it in my hand. It fell from space in 1947. SPACE! SPACE!!!
    1947, eh? Are you sure it isn't part of a weather balloon?

Quote Originally Posted by spjung View Post
    1947, eh? Are you sure it isn't part of a weather balloon?
    Hmmm, weren't those "balloons" meant to spy on the Russians? And my meteorite came from Russia! It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

You can't get much more awesome than that.
    Awesome!

Well..... a routine trip to my local pharmacy had to include blowing a CV joint in my Honda resulting in " No drive " .
    If you are going to break down, do it close to home Repair shop 1 1/2 miles away. Dropped it off late friday,
    done this morning and cheaper than the dealer by far. Happy...happy !! Joy...Joy !!!!!! It might have blown in Virginia this fall....not so good. And not so trivial . That's a good breakdown.

Dan

Years ago a tie rod on my pickup broke when I was about 150 km from town. I was able to phone for a tow, and to confirm that the shop had the necessary parts to repair it when I got into town. The whole affair was expensive, including the one day of productive work I lost, but I was very happy that I was able to continue with the project the next day.

Yep.... nice to get fixed quick and easy.

I have at last been able to watch the Christmas episode of Doctor Who! (Been out of town.) And at last I can go read posts on forums and reviews without worrying about spoilers! Off to SMAL!

My oldest child turned 18 today. It's her day but I think my experience is more intense. She gets to just be the birthday girl on a little camping trip her boyfriend organized for her. I get to feel 18 years pass before me every time I look at her and see the same exact features she had as a baby. She's smart, funny, and the Queen of puns and other word plays. I envy her wit and her vocabulary. I am proud of her compassion and willingness to do what's right, even if it means making life difficult for her. She's grown into a pretty awesome young adult. That makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    My oldest child turned 18 today. It's her day but I think my experience is more intense. She gets to just be the birthday girl on a little camping trip her boyfriend organized for her. I get to feel 18 years pass before me every time I look at her and see the same exact features she had as a baby. She's smart, funny, and the Queen of puns and other word plays. I envy her wit and her vocabulary. I am proud of her compassion and willingness to do what's right, even if it means making life difficult for her. She's grown into a pretty awesome young adult. That makes me happy.
    What a loving tribute. Happy birthday to her!

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Very nice, closetgeek!

"Queen of puns".... you need to convince her to join CQ; we need some fresh blood in Fun-n-Games.

That's terrific, CG! For her because she's that awesome, and for you because you raised her to be that awesome.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Nah, she was doomed to be awesome regardless of who her parents were.
    Swift, I have been telling her for years to get on this site.

Nah, she was doomed to be awesome regardless of who her parents were.
    Swift, I have been telling her for years to get on this site.
    So, is there a fate worse than awesomeness?

My kids are pretty cool, but of course, they have their issues. My children's friends are pretty cool, they also have their issues.

What I find amusing (and it really makes me happy is), when another parent tells me how bad their kid is and when I have to deal with that child, they are actually very nice. My son's best friend is the terror of the school district. I've heard this from many sources: the parents, other parents, the principal, teachers, etc. I've never witnessed any bad behavior from him, he gets along with my son very well.
    Solfe

21. 2014-Dec-31, 08:09 PM

Meant to post this yesterday--I was driving home around sunset yesterday and caught a glimpse of Mount Rainier in my rearview mirror. (It actually tends to make me happy that there are so many unexpected places in the area where you can catch a glimpse of Mount Rainier.) It was absolutely beautiful--all pink and purple and gold in the setting sunlight.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Just remember: If you can't see Mt. Rainier, it's raining. If you can see it, it's going to rain.

Ah..... words to live by in the great north wet .
    Celine and I visited in Feb once, and happened to get a very clear day. that Mt. Rainier is staggeringly beautiful ....
    when you can see it all.

Spending time with my family. They are all awesome and loving people.

Three coats of polyurethane on the stair parts, sitting next to my wife on a day off together, and a dry aged prime rib roast lazily turning on the grill rotisserie.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Three coats of polyurethane on the stair parts, sitting next to my wife on a day off together, and a dry aged prime rib roast lazily turning on the grill rotisserie.
    Why does your wife have to sit next to the stair parts while you coat them with polyurethane (though it does sound like a lovely way to spend an afternoon together)?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Why does your wife have to sit next to the stair parts while you coat them with polyurethane (though it does sound like a lovely way to spend an afternoon together)?

Well, I did say in another thread that I'm working without a lot of room to spread out...so I was using her as a makeshift workbench. Now...since you've gone all snarky on me, my friend, I must exact my revenge.

Behold, happiness incarnate:

We had some on hoagie rolls this evening but we could've cut it with a butter knife...or maybe even a fork.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Ancient Chinese poetry...especially Tang Dynasty. I'm in love!!

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Now...since you've gone all snarky on me, my friend, I must exact my revenge.

Behold, happiness incarnate:

We had some on hoagie rolls this evening but we could've cut it with a butter knife...or maybe even a fork.

My son keeps making up stories about what happened to the Minnesota North Stars. He is obviously throwing together completely fictitious stuff with real events.

The last story he came up with was Canada invaded the US in 1812 took The Stars back to Winnipeg where they have been on display as a trophy. In 1993, they allowed the Stars to move to Dallas in exchange future considerations. In 2011 they call in that consideration. The US is to keep Justin Bieber busy, while they all (All of Canada, I think) to go on vacation to scout new hockey players in Jamaica.
    Solfe