Page 129 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 5513

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    My sister told me to clear Saturday's schedule, because by Monday she was going to be able to park in the garage again, damnit!
    Update: It worked, with all of us pitching in she parked inside last night. She was very happy not to have to get in a frosty car today.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    On the way to the bus this morning, Simon and I looked at orb weaver webs in the fog.
    Lovely. They are kind of magical looking with the drops of water strung out on them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

There was one up in the top of a tree by our front door that you could only see at certain angles, which was fun to explore.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

They handed over the keys to our new house this afternoon. And my wife's coveted red washer and dryer arrived at the same time. That ought to be making me happier than it's doing, but I'm pretty tired. Tomorrow I'm going to try out my awesome new shower. That'll REALLY make me happy.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

That glorious moment when arxiv dumps out a new load of goodness: https://arxiv.org/list/astro-ph/new
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    They handed over the keys to our new house this afternoon. And my wife's coveted red washer and dryer arrived at the same time. That ought to be making me happier than it's doing, but I'm pretty tired. Tomorrow I'm going to try out my awesome new shower. That'll REALLY make me happy.
    Congratulations! Happy new house and happy new shower.

Good news Treb enjoy the new place.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Enjoy - I envy you (once your settled in) sitting back and enjoying the view from your new creation.

Congrats happy home owner.

That's wonderful, Treb.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

It is my nieces 13th birthday, she differently made life interesting for everyone around her in those 13 years. Here is her getting ready for the good old hockey game.
    https://twitter.com/NBAstroFarm/stat...40525266329600

My wife last night, riding Beauregard, at a family Halloween party.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0479k.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	565.4 KB 
ID:	23685  

They handed over the keys to our new house this afternoon.

Good to hear!

This morning, I took the family to Six Flags Darien Lake for the 37 time this year. It was 37 degrees F. I am still frozen, but it was worth it. About 190 days until they open again.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    My wife last night, riding Beauregard, at a family Halloween party.

Ride 'em cowgirl!

Happy All Hallows Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Happy All Hallows Eve.
    I wonder how many people know that name, and the origin of the holiday, is All Saints' Day, which is November 1.

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of Hallows' Even or Hallows' Evening),[5] also known as Allhalloween,[6] All Hallows' Eve,[7] or All Saints' Eve,[8] is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide,[9] the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.
    Last edited by Swift; 2018-Oct-31 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added reference

I get some nostalgic happiness when occasionally using my dad's old slide rule for doing calculations it is capable of doing. It is a Keuffel & Esser 22" professional grade duplex model with trig and log log scales, and I can read it with an uncertainty of less than one part per thousand on the C and D scales. It is made of wood and clad with celluloid, and is practically as good as new after over 70 years. Such an elegant device.

I kind of know about all saints day, it is my birthday, but I don't think I qualify as a saint.
    ETA: Some would say dark matter day is a better thing to celebrate on my birthday.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Oct-31 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I get some nostalgic happiness when occasionally using my dad's old slide rule for doing calculations it is capable of doing. It is a Keuffel & Esser 22" professional grade duplex model with trig and log log scales, and I can read it with an uncertainty of less than one part per thousand on the C and D scales. It is made of wood and clad with celluloid, and is practically as good as new after over 70 years. Such an elegant device.
    I still have my Post bamboo one somewhere. It has only basic scales but works so smoothly.

Counterpoint to my non-trivial post:

When we started thinking about a new house, we knew we wanted a new bed. An adjustable one. Individually adjustable, even. That made it a King.

But we didn't want to replace our bedroom set at this time. That was a problem, because the "headboard" is actually a bookcase/box thing that sits on the edges of the two nightstands. The wider bed meant that wouldn't work.

I've spent two or three years daydreaming about how to fix that so the headboard would work. A couple of months ago, I arrived at a solution. I bought two 1x12x48 oak stair treads. Cut them into three pieces each. Stained them to match the existing furniture. Assembled them into a shelf thingy which could be bolted to the existing stands. Not without some difficulty, mind you, I can barely manage carpentry, let alone woodworking.

Then the bed arrived. Oops. It was TALL! The headboard thing was going to be buried behind it. Also hard to get in and out of. So I called up Mattress Firm (plug because they did great!) to see if they had shorter legs I could put on. They not only had them, but arranged to have someone come out and install them. No charge. That happened today, so I finally installed the shelf/support things and the headboard. It came out great! Something went right for a change!

Counterpoint to my non-trivial post:

When we started thinking about a new house, we knew we wanted a new bed. An adjustable one. Individually adjustable, even. That made it a King.

But we didn't want to replace our bedroom set at this time. That was a problem, because the "headboard" is actually a bookcase/box thing that sits on the edges of the two nightstands. The wider bed meant that wouldn't work.

I've spent two or three years daydreaming about how to fix that so the headboard would work. A couple of months ago, I arrived at a solution. I bought two 1x12x48 oak stair treads. Cut them into three pieces each. Stained them to match the existing furniture. Assembled them into a shelf thingy which could be bolted to the existing stands. Not without some difficulty, mind you, I can barely manage carpentry, let alone woodworking.

Then the bed arrived. Oops. It was TALL! The headboard thing was going to be buried behind it. Also hard to get in and out of. So I called up Mattress Firm (plug because they did great!) to see if they had shorter legs I could put on. They not only had them, but arranged to have someone come out and install them. No charge. That happened today, so I finally installed the shelf/support things and the headboard. It came out great! Something went right for a change!
    Good service like that does deserve a plug. I miss my old bookcase headboard but my wife doesn't - so it will not return.

I really want a footboard for ours; the mattress keeps sliding down the frame and has to be adjusted all the time.

Last night, took the kids trick-or-treating with my best friend. Simon was a character from the play he's writing. His godmother was a witch. Graham was Iron Fist. I made Irene a little red jumpsuit with a "Gizmonics" patch sewn on it, and I made Kinga Forrester's jacket. Didn't get the shirt done; in fact, I got the jacket done at about 4:30 yesterday afternoon. But it looked great, even if no one could tell what Irene and I were.

"You can't erase icing."

Since I turn 42 today I am giving the answer to life, the universe and everything else.
    Oh, I can't tell anyone, darn it.

Seeing a fairy pavilion in the grass, a spider-web tent-like structure covered with dewdrops. They are good luck.

One of those days everyone wins days, I get pulled pork, there is a USA-Canada hockey game in town and mom and other members of the family who want to watch it are there, and I heard this song on the radio as I was getting supper.
    https://youtu.be/xo1VInw-SKc

We finally have both TV and internet working. I should be more happy than I am, about that, I guess. It's been quite a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    One of those days everyone wins days, I get pulled pork, there is a USA-Canada hockey game in town and mom and other members of the family who want to watch it are there, and I heard this song on the radio as I was getting supper.
    https://youtu.be/xo1VInw-SKc
    And Canada won 5-2, now if I can find a certain book.

My family has a new dog!

Yesterday we formally adopted and took home Gracie, a beagle/terrier mix. She's very friendly, quiet, well behaved, the kids love her, and most importantly she gets along with our other 2 dogs.

This was her first PM sleeping at our house. So that means it was officially a ...3 Dog Night.

(Thank you, I'll be here all evening.)

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    This was her first PM sleeping at our house. So that means it was officially a ...3 Dog Night.

(Thank you, I'll be here all evening.)
    Joy to the world