Page 12 of 207 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I spent my weekend in my garage 'workshop' working on stair treads and trim and making a lot of saw dust and plane shavings. Even though the drudgery of sanding is one of my least favorite woodworking tasks, running my hand over a silky smooth piece of wood makes me smile. That's especially true today since all of the oak pieces...treads, newel post, handrails, and trim...are now assembled, sanded, and ready for stain.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I was feeling a bit down yesterday until I got busy and put up the (four-foot-tall, fake, fiber-optic) Christmas tree. And the lighted elephant with the Santa hat balancing a ball on its trunk. That's SO much better. A bit of surprise snow this morning has completed the holiday feeling.

There's a sentimental aspect to this: under the tree is the beautiful tree skirt made for me by my grandmother more than 50 years ago. And the elephant was a gift to my late parents from one of their caregivers. He was a very nice man, even if he was studying to be a "doctor" of homeopathy and oriental medicine.

ETA: And the birdies are VERY busy at the feeders. I'm enjoying watching them almost as much as our cats are.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2014-Nov-29 at 04:07 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Sigh. A quick glance out the window shows that we didn't get snow, and I was expecting it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Last year all my children stayed in Victoria at Christmas, so I travelled there and didn't bother getting a tree. This year my daughters are returning here because they need to have snow around for a proper Christmas. Happy. Usually, they would insist, even demand, that we go out together to find the tree, but the timing won't work so I'll do it by myself. Less happy.

ETA: and the point of this was to include mention of digging out the tree skirt that my youngest daughter made when she was about 8. I still have all the decorations that they made when they were kids, and they all go on the tree.
    Last edited by Torsten; 2014-Nov-29 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Sigh. A quick glance out the window shows that we didn't get snow, and I was expecting it.
    Yeah, it seems to be concentrated further north. At least it's Saturday so we don't have the usual school-closure and commuting panics.

I know it snowed in Yelm, but Yelm is inland. I'm literally just a couple of blocks from the Sound here, or anyway from a lake which flows into the Sound. Then again, this probably means that the hill isn't closed. They've had the "we're closing the hill" equipment sitting over there for days now. The road from downtown to my neighbourhood is the first one in all of Olympia to close in snow and ice.

Graham is making crepes, which will be delicious, and then, I will get some sewing done. I bought waterproof fabric a while ago to make Simon a poncho, which seems like a sensible piece of rain gear for a toddler. It's pirate-themed!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I was actually wondering if the reason you hoped it would snow was so Simon could get his first snow experience. That'll be cute, whenever it happens.

Back when we had outdoor cats, I remember letting the two kittens out in their first snow. It was adorable and hilarious. One was white, so she was hard to see. The black one was easier.

It wouldn't quite be his first snow experience; we have pictures of the time it snowed last winter. But it would be his first playing in the snow experience. He's got boots and mittens and things this year, which he didn't last year--since he was being carried pretty much whenever he was outside, what was the point? We just bundled him up in blankets.

"You can't erase icing."

Sewing didn't get done, because I took a nap. Its own happiness. This afternoon? Totally getting sewing done. For reals.

But this morning, I opened my e-mail and had three or four "it's your birthday!" messages from companies giving me discounts.

"You can't erase icing."

I just dropped off nearly all of my neckties at Goodwill Industries.

Things that bug me: It wasn't ALL because some are at the other place. Those will go soon. It's not as if I'm ever going to wear one again. And if someone sticks one on me in my coffin, I'll come back and haunt them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just dropped off nearly all of my neckties at Goodwill Industries.

Things that bug me: It wasn't ALL because some are at the other place. Those will go soon. It's not as if I'm ever going to wear one again. And if someone sticks one on me in my coffin, I'll come back and haunt them.
    When I was on AOL I was part of a room where several strong friendships and a few romances formed. We actually a half-dozen weekend gatherings in different parts of the country. One of those was in Florida, and coincided with one member's birthday. We decided to get her presents, and I came up with the idea to have everyone get her a Toaster from the same national chain store. She opened the first one and said it was nice because she could use it. By the time she got to the fifth, she'd caught on. There were either 22 or 26 total. I don't recall. We also presented her with the receipts so she could return them, and get stuff she wanted/could use.

With that in mind, and Christmas right around the corner, I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the e-mail address of a family member or two...
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Ok, I've mentioned my nickname at work is "Cupid". I work with developmentally disabled kids and the child who hung that nickname on me renders it as "Oopid". This causes a lot of shocked looks from adults who don't know what he is saying and why.

In an effort to stamp this out, the OT and Speech Therapists have taught him to sign the word "Cupid" in ASL when saying the word.

Today a bunch of kids called out "Mr. Cupid!" while doing a vaguely modified sign for Cupid. A co-worker muttered "Oh, Jesus. You have your own sign now. Nobody else has a sign."

The modified sign is like pulling a bow string, when the the right hand pulls back to the shoulder, a V is made with the index and middle finger and is flicked at the left hand, simulating an arrow release. (The actual cupid sign has a flapping motion at with the hands to simulate wings before the arrow pull motion.)

Edit - there also is a second sign for Cupid (or perhaps archer), a V shape with the left fingers with the forefinger of the right hand making the arrow. I am not sure which one is better or more correct. I am just learning myself.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2014-Dec-06 at 02:28 AM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Today a bunch of kids called out "Mr. Cupid!" while doing a vaguely modified sign for Cupid. A co-worker muttered "Oh, Jesus. You have your own sign now. Nobody else has a sign."
    That's awesome Solfe
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I baked christmas cookies today.

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    I baked christmas cookies today.
    Well I was in the room when cookies were baked.

And, on my daughter's new hundred-year-old porch we strung lights, and the span was thirty-three feet, and the string of lights were thirty-three feet (said so on the box).

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Well I was in the room when cookies were baked.

And, on my daughter's new hundred-year-old porch we strung lights, and the span was thirty-three feet, and the string of lights were thirty-three feet (said so on the box).
    Don't keep us in suspense! Did the lights stop at 32 feet, or was the advertising honest?

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    "New hundred-year-old"?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Don't keep us in suspense! Did the lights stop at 32 feet, or was the advertising honest?

Yes! I mean, they were actually 33 feet. Trivial things that make you happy. And she had the lights before we knew how long the porch was.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    "New hundred-year-old"?
    Well, new to her

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    "New hundred-year-old"?
    Recently acquired and built 100 years ago?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

This is not the day to be reminding me of Christmas lights....

But it makes me very happy that it's been two years since my fall and I'm scarcely impaired at all. Pretty dang lucky.

Good to see you " Bounced Back " my friend.

Definitely a non-trivial happiness.

When cat sits at my elbow while working. Give me a chance to take a quick "kiss the cat's nose" break.

Stuff that bugs me: Christmas Shopping, especially for my wife. We've been married a long time, it's hard to come up with anything interesting.

What makes me happy:
    She loves rocks. The house is full of them.
    She loves the TV show Meteorite Men.
    She's getting a lovely Sikhote-Alin meteorite, with an autographed picture of Geoff Notkin!
    It's so nice coming up with a good idea!

Discovering what looks like a completely different piece of wood, just by applying a bit of stain.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Having all my Christmas shopping done!

That makes me almost happy.

An hour ago, husband brought home 12 homemade tamales. Tender, delectable masa; spicy chile; tender pork. *Mouth watering*...not a vegetarian today! ^_^

We have just rearranged the bathroom so that the litter box is blocked off but the potty chair is accessible. After the last couple of days of stripping off his diaper and handing it to us when it's dirty, we've decided that it's time. This, hopefully, will mean a lot less laundry for me soon.

"You can't erase icing."

My Mom is getting released from the hospital today! YAY!!!