Page 206 of 208 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208 LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,180 of 6221

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Just checked my bank account and I got paid for working the election. I got paid more than I was expecting almost by hundred dollars.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Just checked my bank account and I got paid for working the election. I got paid more than I was expecting almost by hundred dollars.
    You're brave. I did that once and swore never to do it again. I am not a good public servant. The one saving grace was one of my students came into vote and I was able to talk to his family for a few minutes.

I did it for a couple of students. The state has a really easy to complete form for requesting a position at voting stations that I incorporated into a lesson to teach my students how to fill out forms. I was even able to show them a copy of an acceptance letter. The next year, I faked a rejection letter so they could see both possibilities when applying for a job. "I guess they don't need me this year..." Whew!
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    You're brave. I did that once and swore never to do it again. I am not a good public servant. The one saving grace was one of my students came into vote and I was able to talk to his family for a few minutes.

I did it for a couple of students. The state has a really easy to complete form for requesting a position at voting stations that I incorporated into a lesson to teach my students how to fill out forms. I was even able to show them a copy of an acceptance letter. The next year, I faked a rejection letter so they could see both possibilities when applying for a job. "I guess they don't need me this year..." Whew!
    This is the fourth federal election that I have worked at, I worked for one provincial and was on backup for another election. I have worked two positions one is at the day to check if they have the proper ID to go to their voting station and the other position is registering new voters in the area and filing out other paperwork. Most of the time I worked at smaller polling places where at least a few people know me or my family. One time while checking for ID a person walks in and I say do have your license and goes "Davey, really." Looked at the license and realize it was a cousin or alos lived on my road, I haven't seen him for years. During the last election two of the people I filed paperwork for are semi-regulars at the auction and I was expecting them during the last election but didn't know where the polling station which is about 1km maybe a bit farther from their house. It is a long day starting at 7 in the mourning and I left about 10:30 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Overhere it's mandatory (if you get the letter, you HAVE to work), on a saturday, and you get paid a whopping 25 dollars.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

A three-fer, I suppose, unless I think of another one while typing.
    1. My lovely niece, the daughter we never had, visited yesterday.
    2. And while here, she helped decorate the Halloween Tree now gracing our living room.
    3. And today is my grandmother's 140th birthday, as well as her 115th wedding anniversary, because she married on her 25th birthday. I married on my 30th, and don't regret it for a minute. I've been having lots of happy memories of Nana today. And my grandfather, Pop, as well, although he died when I was pretty young.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

A couple of weeks ago, my Cubii "under-desk elliptical" developed a fault. I contacted them and they sent me a label to return it. A new one arrived this afternoon. That's great, I've been missing my morning ride! I can't fault the company for their customer service.
    Alongside it by the front door was a large box from Amazon presumably containing the "under-desk drawers" I ordered to put under my workbench. That will not only give me some storage but give me something to do the next couple of days installing them.

I recently finished a run at my local community theater and had an absolute ball with the role. The cast were like otters at play.

Saturday night, one of my fellow cast members and I attended a performance of a different play at a different theater in a different town. Two of the people who were working at that theater recognized us and complimented us on our performances.

Small world, I suppose, but flattering nonetheless.

It's 11 AM my time, and I've got all three of my weekend articles written. ("Mickey's Trailer," Mary Shelley, and Ron Perlman, for the curious.) Which hopefully means I can get the sampler I'm currently making finished and in the mail today or tomorrow and then get to work on the kids' Halloween costumes. Fauci says trick-or-treating should be safe this year. I've invited my best friend to come with us. Sandy wants me to dress as her for Halloween, so I've suggested my best friend come with us and dress as Zane.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My wife got Botox injections for her migraines yesterday. Due to insurance issues she hadn't had them for a while and has been suffering. I'm hoping this will make a big difference, as it has in the past.

I got my Covid booster and Flu shot this morning; and there's a pot roast in the slow cooker. House is smelling good already!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I got my Covid booster and Flu shot this morning; and there's a pot roast in the slow cooker. House is smelling good already!
    My pharmacist told me that there needed to be twenty-one days between those two.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    My pharmacist told me that there needed to be twenty-one days between those two.
    Beats me. More like 2.1 minutes, in my case.

Pharmacists are dictating pot roast rules now?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Pharmacists are dictating pot roast rules now?
    The protein and fat molecules from the pot roast will bind with microchip components in the vaccine double shot so the can combine into a proper chip. Since Trebuchet is so close to microsofts headquarters he is closer to Bill Gates secret research lab in charge of introducing microchips into vaccines and Trebuchet is one of the first test subjects. Of course this was a joke.

They must have missed the snappily entitled preprint The Safety and Immunogenicity of Concomitant Administration of COVID-19 Vaccines (ChAdOx1 or BNT162b2) with Seasonal Influenza Vaccines in Adults: A Phase IV, Multicentre Randomised Controlled Trial with Blinding (ComFluCOV). (Executive summary--just as effective given together and don't make you feel any worse.)
    It's the reason the UK has been rolling out Covid boosters along with seasonal flu vaccine at the same appointment.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

My pharmacist gave the lady in front of me both a flu shot and COVID booster. The big decision was choosing one or both arms.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

My new iPhone arrived today so I’ve been somewhat giddily going through the unboxing and setup. Screen and camera lens protectors (bought well in advance) are in place and my apps are downloading from the cloud as I type. I’ll be posting in the “amuse you” thread shortly on a related note.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My new iPhone arrived today so I’ve been somewhat giddily going through the unboxing and setup. Screen and camera lens protectors (bought well in advance) are in place and my apps are downloading from the cloud as I type. I’ll be posting in the “amuse you” thread shortly on a related note.
    I dare you to try posting a photo. It'll be 2.85GB too large.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I dare you to try posting a photo. It'll be 2.85GB too large.
    This problem is beginning to wear on me as well. I haven't bothered with some posts lately as a picture showed the story far better than what I could write.

This is decidedly trivial, but there is a brand of (non-alcoholic) egg nog that I like. I like the flavor, it is sort of a holiday tradition and it brings back good memories. I usually think about it around Christmas but it’s off the shelf pretty much immediately after and sometimes I end up without it for a year because I don’t think about it early enough. Last year for example. Well, I happened to notice a store had it already, which surprised me greatly (I had no idea they sold it this early), and I have some now so I can make up for last year. I expect to get it at least a couple more times this year.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I've been seeing egg nog here as well. They keep rushing the seasons.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

If I’m drinking egg nog it &$@# well better have booze in it. About the only way I can get the stuff down.

ETA: as for the early arrival on store shelves i wonder if that’s a preemptive strike against the supply chain issues we’ve heard so much about. Although i didn’t think dairy cows were being affected. I mean, they eat, they ruminate, they lactate, they donate (sort of). A few days later you get egg nog.

Today, Zane's school is having the kids dress up as their favourite book character. (Why the schools don't just . . . celebrate Halloween, I can't tell you, but there we are.) Zane's costume for Halloween this year is the main character in his personal mythos, which we're writing down together into a book, so we've declared it counts. I found this out yesterday, and instead of having until Sunday to finish his costume made it all in one day. I'm fairly proud of how it turned out, especially the ears, which I designed myself. The costume is a wolf suit, which I made from a pajama costume that came with a hood, and we made ears and a (detachable) tail for it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Our favorite local diner had a fire earlier in the week. It started at a water heater in the basement. The “happy” part is that the sprinkler system worked as intended, and the firefighters did a professional job. Management says they hope to reopen this weekend.

The diner was purchased by a local restauranteur* just prior to the pandemic. Hopefully, they can survive this setback too.

*The original owner planned on selling to a fast food franchise, but that deal thankfully fell through.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    If I’m drinking egg nog it &$@# well better have booze in it. About the only way I can get the stuff down.

ETA: as for the early arrival on store shelves i wonder if that’s a preemptive strike against the supply chain issues we’ve heard so much about. Although i didn’t think dairy cows were being affected. I mean, they eat, they ruminate, they lactate, they donate (sort of). A few days later you get egg nog.
    I like eggnog ok, but booze or no it's too dang fattening.

Last year, my family made coquitos, or “Puerto Rican Eggnog” with coconut milk and rum extract. (Not actual rum because I don’t drink.) They were delicious
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I've never understood the reasoning behind egg nog. Someone looked at advocaat and said, "What this viscous, fatty, sugary drink needs is some cream." Is that how it happened?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I've never understood the reasoning behind egg nog. Someone looked at advocaat and said, "What this viscous, fatty, sugary drink needs is some cream." Is that how it happened?

Grant Hutchison
    Maybe it was the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Maybe it was the other way around?
    I think you're right. Someone in the Netherlands looked at the colonial American recipe for what can only be described as anti-personnel egg-nog, and thought, Whoah! No reasonable human being can drink that and live. Lets take out the cream, the milk, the whiskey, the rum and the sherry, and maybe we'll survive until the New Year.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I'm fairly proud of how it turned out, especially the ears, which I designed myself. The costume is a wolf suit, which I made from a pajama costume that came with a hood, and we made ears and a (detachable) tail for it.
    Years ago, during the child-rearing period of life for my little tranche of humanity, I ran into an old friend and colleague at an academic meeting. She seemed pretty bored with all the presentations until we got to something involving airway management that involved severed sheep heads as the research subjects (no, honestly). She immediately sat up straight in her seat and hauled out a little notebook. "I hope they have a picture of the heads," she said.
    I politely wondered why.
    "Because I have to finish a sheep costume for my youngest when I get home tonight, and I can't remember if the ears should be in front of or behind the horns." (She always was a stickler for detail.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog