Page 188 of 194 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 5800

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Happy Valentine's Day Massacre Anniversary to everyone! My wife and I celebrate this. Happiness to all!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    And, Gillianren I am glad that you and your children are enjoying 'Bluey'. My grandkids still love it and it is often amongst the highest rating programmes on local TV. to quote for one show " It was the most-watched broadcast across all free-to-air multichannels, and the eleventh most-watched broadcast overall. In 2019, the series was the most-watched program through time shifting." There has never been the slightest thought that Bluey having that name was any sort of insult.
    It's probably going to end up as a "stuff my kids watch" column at some point. They don't watch much of it, but they watch enough for it to make the column. Though next month is going to be YouTube videos!

As to nicknames, I don't like my legal name and never have. So I choose to go by Gillian, which is the name I chose for the medieval society I joined in college. I'm aware my legal name is "period" and therefore perfectly acceptable, but since I never liked it . . . .

Yesterday, with my camera located, I was able to go outside and take pictures of our snow. We found a snap bracelet Simon had been given that has a ruler printed on the back and stuck that in various places--the accumulation on our backyard shed was even deeper than the bracelet.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The ones that get to me are sarcastic markers of pseudo-familiarity like "sport", "pal" or "big guy" that adult strangers seemed to delight in calling me when I was an adolescent and especially sensitive to teasing or bullying.
    "Wee man" is a phrase much used when addressing male children in Scotland. The children thus addressed almost never look delighted about it.

For some reason, every time I travel in the USA, someone, somewhere, at some time, will address me as "Big Guy". They seem to mean it in a friendly sort of way, but I always end up glancing behind me to see who the big guy is that they're addressing.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    "Wee man" is a phrase much used when addressing male children in Scotland. The children thus addressed almost never look delighted about it.

For some reason, every time I travel in the USA, someone, somewhere, at some time, will address me as "Big Guy". They seem to mean it in a friendly sort of way, but I always end up glancing behind me to see who the big guy is that they're addressing.

Grant Hutchison
    Ha! I get that too and react the same. In UK many say “mate” which I think came in from “down under” with soaps. The French/Belgian equivalent to wee man seems to be “Bon Homme. “
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

The ones that get to me are sarcastic markers of pseudo-familiarity like "sport", "pal" or "big guy" that adult strangers seemed to delight in calling me when I was an adolescent and especially sensitive to teasing or bullying.
    Wait 'til you get old like me and young female store clerks call you "Honey", or "Dear". Apparently I look harmless. And I am.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Wait 'til you get old like me and young female store clerks call you "Honey", or "Dear". Apparently I look harmless. And I am.
    I’m afraid that’s not what the pumpkins have been saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

I can sort of understand that, but I think those are not really nicknames. I always associated a nickname with something that people regularly called you specifically. Actually, I've never had a nickname (except once, in sort of exceptional circumstances), and when I was growing up we just didn't use them, so I guess it's a kind of cultural things.

With the "pseudo-familiarity" markers, I think they are kind of universally used, as you often have to address people whose name you don't know. I agree that they can be uncomfortable, so I really avoid using them except with close friends (in my time we used to say "cuz" or "dude." I sometimes use "sir" and "ma'am", but even then it doesn't make me feel that comfortable. In Japan, it's really overdone, so that you can call people you don't know by "big sister," "big brother," "daughter," "uncle," "aunt," "grandma," "grandma," "wife," and even "president" and "teacher," depending on the circumstances.
    As above, so below

And I remembered something about these addresses. A few years ago I was doing a tour of a scientific facility, and there was a woman from the UK. And she called me "love." That was really cool!
    As above, so below

I so enjoy looking harmless. It makes me happy. I wish I could do it more often.

Grant Hutchison

Vera Stanhope (I've been reading the books and watching the TV series) calls everyone "Pet". Including when she's just arrested them for murder.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I am sure prof Higgins could locate people by their affectionate or aggressive pat names!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    And she called me "love." That was really cool!
    Now there's a statement you don't see every day, in these parts.
    A patient once addressed me recurringly as "poppet", which is charmingly old-fashioned, but perhaps not an easy fit for the conventional roles adopted by patient and doctor. But you play the hand you're dealt. She subsequently wrote to the local papers about me, in glowing terms, but fortunately forgot my name. So that was one advantage to the "poppet" thing.

Grant Hutchison

A thoroughly unpleasant woman in my previous office began making it a habit to call me "kiddo." She was older than I but I was in my forties at the time. It came across as patronizing and as I was fairly new to the office, I had the impression she was trying put me in my place...or the place she thought I should be. I explained to her that I'd rather she not call me that and she should call me Brett. After arguing that I shouldn't mind, she replied "Whatever." I said, "No, it's not 'whatever' either. It's Brett." I didn't think that was really the end of it but she stopped.

Not relevant but perhaps revealing, this is the same women who upon hearing that I was transferring to another office, demanded that I leave my personal artwork for her. No. Just, no.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Back to happy-making: Whiskers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whiskers.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	25900

Back to happy-making: Whiskers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whiskers.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	25900
    Cats make me happy. Thanks. I needed that today (of which I could post about in the "things that annoy me" thread).

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Not relevant but perhaps revealing, this is the same women who upon hearing that I was transferring to another office, demanded that I leave my personal artwork for her. No. Just, no.
    Oh, that's not cool.

In art things that make me happy, a friend of mine has been decorating his new apartment with index cards on which he does drawings. He routinely sends me pictures of them, and they're so good!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I so enjoy looking harmless. It makes me happy. I wish I could do it more often.

Grant Hutchison
    I'm "Mostly Harmless".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I woke up early this morning and ran to the store for a household essential before the kids woke up. And had to brake for bunnies!

"You can't erase icing."

I was just petting and grooming a Bunny. The long-tailed and short-eared variety. If we ever have a pet rabbit we'll have to call it "Kitty".

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I was just petting and grooming a Bunny. The long-tailed and short-eared variety. If we ever have a pet rabbit we'll have to call it "Kitty".
    I’ve probably told this story before, but when my daughter was in college, she went to the Missouri state fair. She went up to a gentleman selling rabbits and said she was interested in buying one.
    He asked her if she wanted a ‘petting’ rabbit or an ‘eating’ rabbit.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    He asked her if she wanted a ‘petting’ rabbit or an ‘eating’ rabbit.
    Was he selling both? I wouldn't want to buy a petting rabbit from an eating rabbit stall, but there would be quite a lot of good eating on most petting rabbits I've seen.

Grant Hutchison

Perseverance has landed!

Was he selling both? I wouldn't want to buy a petting rabbit from an eating rabbit stall, but there would be quite a lot of good eating on most petting rabbits I've seen.

Grant Hutchison
    He was selling both, but they were kept apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    He was selling both, but they were kept apart.
    Wonder what the difference is. If you pet them and they bite, they are put with the "eating" ones?

My niece has petting ones, but they bite anyway. I'll stick to cats.

Cats bite, dogs bite, all God's chilluns bite.

Except vampire bats. They scrape.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

And mosquitoes. They suck (in both meanings!).
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    And mosquitoes. They suck (in both meanings!).
    Mmmm, I dunno. That itchy bump I scratch is called a mosquito bite, not a mosquito suck.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Mmmm, I dunno. That itchy bump I scratch is called a mosquito bite, not a mosquito suck.
    Stabby little buggers.

As for the ‘petting’ bunny, he would bite when you hand fed him. I think he just got over zealous.

He did, however, have an affinity for chewing on wires, and ruined a few cell phone chargers. He was fast, and could cross a room and sever the cord before you could take one step. I don’t know how he never wound up electrocuted.