Page 182 of 184 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184 LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,460 of 5509

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Speaking of houses... I guess I'm telling without permission, but I'm sure some of the longer time CQers will probably remember Andromeda321. I've stayed in touch with her over the years. She is now married, has a post-doc in Astronomy at Yale (yes, it is Doctor Andromeda), and she and her husband just bought a house.
    My wife and I are having a house built.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    We have had 57 years of the Doctor, right now we all could use a Doctor.
    Ooh, it's the 23rd, isn't it! And we've got a whole DVD of that Proms show! I know what we're watching tonight!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Good luck with that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

How many rooms for the cats?
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Awesome! We did that in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    How many rooms for the cats?
    All of them, of course. We even have a special cat door into the bedroom suite so we can close the door if the bed's not made.

I got my A1C down from 13.1 to 6.4 in less than a year and my insulin dosage is not outrageous. I'm not entirely sure what I did to do that, so I will have to hold out on that miracle diet/cure book.

It is entirely possible that raging high and low blood sugar affected my memory, so I don't remember what was I was doing before I started down this road. That sometimes happens. I do seem to recall eating out more, especially at fast food places.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I got my A1C down from 13.1 to 6.4 in less than a year and my insulin dosage is not outrageous. I'm not entirely sure what I did to do that, so I will have to hold out on that miracle diet/cure book.

It is entirely possible that raging high and low blood sugar affected my memory, so I don't remember what was I was doing before I started down this road. That sometimes happens. I do seem to recall eating out more, especially at fast food places.
    Congrats. May you continue down this path.

And I hope I can as well!

Tweet from Tony Bennett.
    One Thanksgiving day when I was young, my mother was upset that there would be no food on the table. I entered a raffle at the movie theater down the street, and couldn't believe it when I won. Out of all things, the prize was a turkey! My family never forgot that special moment.
    Made me tear up a little. Be sure to click for the lovely photo of his parents.

Congrats. May you continue down this path.
    My doctor has this great program of diabetic nursing staff to call and support people trying to get a handle on diet. They call me every month. One of them is named "Kandy". The ironic thing is, he hired 3 different nurses who all happen to have diabetes. The diabetic counselors all have diabetes. I would imagine that fact allows them to call people on crap. Thankfully, they didn't get a chance to do that to me.
    Solfe

The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Weird, but what do you expect of Geller?

Kudos to the author, mentioning a spoon seems to be a reference to Geller’s “most famous illusion.”

Last I heard, Geller was still claiming he had powers and some writers take him seriously. Not there, thankfully.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I am trying to get into the spirit of the season! Yesterday I redid the Christmas lights on the upper deck and brought in the lighted yard moose to work on a complete relight of it, since only about half the originals work. Yes, yard moose. Everyone's got deer, I've got a moose!
    Today I'll bring the tree in and evaluate what it needs for lighting then go to the hardware store.

Also, a couple of nights ago I got up to go to the bathroom and noticed a strange display of light on the western horizon. It changed as I watched, fading out. This morning when I got up there was something similar which I realized was where the moon had just set. It made me glad to figured out what the first time was!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Yes, yard moose. Everyone's got deer, I've got a moose!
    Sounds kinda Rocky.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

A couple of days ago, I e-mailed a friend to ask if he could help me interpret the error message I was getting. He discovered that he couldn't find references to it online, either, and came down to fix it personally. We spent most of his visit at least six feet apart, and for quite a lot of it we both wore masks, but he's in a bad living situation and having him get out of it for the day was great even before he fixed my computer. Unfortunately, he had to do a full system wipe, but at least that means I'm no longer getting the error message from Discord, telling me that my computer can't find the program--which I'd installed over a year ago, discovered didn't work on my computer, and promptly uninstalled.

We got a take-and-bake pizza and had dinner before he left. The kids were fairly well behaved. And then I spent a pleasant evening hanging out with my online friends and reinstalling programs. Best of all, the backup to my calendar--which includes well over a year's worth of the schedule for two of my columns--worked.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Weird, but what do you expect of Geller?

Kudos to the author, mentioning a spoon seems to be a reference to Geller’s “most famous illusion.”

Last I heard, Geller was still claiming he had powers and some writers take him seriously. Not there, thankfully.
    All the coverage I have seen so far calls him a magician, which is encouraging.

A comment on one article: “Today I learned magicians are incredibly petty.”
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    ... Last I heard, Geller was still claiming he had powers ...
    Which makes me think of a line from an AT&T commercial. "The same as everyone else."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

As I think I've mentioned in the "bugs me" thread, I have a tendency to put things off that might be a little difficult. For the past couple of days that's been putting lights on the Christmas tree. So I set a goal of at least one string today.
    I did five strings, 450 lights total. That's 500 altogether with the ones I didn't replace on the top piece of the fake tree. And they are all the same color temperature, unlike last year. It could still use a few more, I'll check the stores when in town tomorrow. It'll have to be the same brand and color description; the mismatched color temp was really annoying.
    BTW, I much prefer "cooler" whites; more like daylight color. These might even be a little too blue but they all match.

Yesterday, Simon's school had a school picture day on campus. I was annoyed that Simon picked out material day before yesterday for a shirt which I had done on time that he then refused to wear, but that's a different thread--what made me happy was that my kids spent half an hour with other children yesterday. Simon made a couple of friends who go to his own school. Everyone was masked, though they didn't practice social distancing--children aren't great at that--but they also decided to exchange gamer tags so they can play Minecraft together. This was really good for them, even if it was slightly risky.

As I typed this, Irene said, "You're a little happy."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I am working at home, my wife is on vacation from work, and she is baking cookies and cupcakes.

I am the taste-tester for her work, and I taste-test a lot for quality control and quality assurance purposes.

I am working at home, my wife is on vacation from work, and she is baking cookies and cupcakes.

I am the taste-tester for her work, and I taste-test a lot for quality control and quality assurance purposes.
    Its a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Its a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
    Can't test too much, got diabetes, but as much as that allows for sure.

I was very generously gifted a wireless keyboard and mouse to replace the keyboard that was having problems. (Thanks again!) We had a wireless mouse years ago that I didn't like, in part because it sucked up batteries like crazy. It seems modern wireless devices have on/off switches, which that one definitely did not, so they don't draw as much power when they're not in use. I'm still keeping the wired mouse handy in case the kids or cats manage to lose the wireless one--they should have a hard enough time with the keyboard that I'm not concerned!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We had a wireless mouse years ago that I didn't like, in part because it sucked up batteries like crazy. It seems modern wireless devices have on/off switches, which that one definitely did not, so they don't draw as much power when they're not in use.
    Mmmm...new keyboard smell! My guess is the battery life of a new mouse will be better than one from years ago.

I still have the mouse from my current wireless keyboard combo but the mouse I use now is part of my 3D/CAD controller setup. It's wired but it offers superior ergonomics and performance. That old wireless mouse is still sitting on the shelf...has been for more than 2 years...and as a matter of fact, the wireless dongle is still plugged in. I just checked and the mouse is still working, even though I've never switched it off.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2020-Dec-04 at 04:14 PM.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The battery life on my relatively new cordless mouse is, in fact, terrible. I suspect that's partly because it has only one, instead of two like the previous one. The keyboard it came with does much better.

As I think I've mentioned in the "bugs me" thread, I have a tendency to put things off that might be a little difficult. For the past couple of days that's been putting lights on the Christmas tree. So I set a goal of at least one string today.
    I did five strings, 450 lights total. That's 500 altogether with the ones I didn't replace on the top piece of the fake tree. And they are all the same color temperature, unlike last year. It could still use a few more, I'll check the stores when in town tomorrow. It'll have to be the same brand and color description; the mismatched color temp was really annoying.
    BTW, I much prefer "cooler" whites; more like daylight color. These might even be a little too blue but they all match.
    Even with all those lights, the bottom was bare so I bought another string of 100. Before I went to put them on yesterday, I plugged them in to check and they seemed to work. Then I took off the last 50 and started to put them on and the first quarter of the string did NOT work. This morning I checked again after wiggling all the bulbs and they worked, so I'll put them on today and hope for the best. With 600 lights you'll probably be able to see my front window from Sequim!

Unrelated, we enjoy watching Formula One racing. I just realized that due to the Sakhir Grand Prix being at night in Bahrain, we'll be able to watch today's qualifying and tomorrow's race live, instead of from the DVR. Cool.

I'm happy with the trail network my little town has developed and improved over the years, and especially so this year. The municipal crews manage to plow the snow from many of them in the winter, which makes walking for our more fragile or wobbly residents more inviting. There are several routes that I walk most days that I hope will keep me reasonably fit to do some longer hikes in the spring without much end-of-day pain.

I'm making a point this year of acknowledging the good things in my life.

A year or two back Trebuchet mentioned someone in his neck of the woods who was rebuilding "a 109-year old English sailing yacht called Tally Ho.". The rebuild is available on YouTube The work has now reached the stage of planking the hull. It has been amazing to watch the skill the owner, and his helpers, have used to do their work. While modern power machinery has been used there has also been a lot of skillful hand crafting done. More recently there were a few interesting 'episodes' showing a foundry in a Port Townsend casting some bronze parts 'knees etc, for the boat.

The vessel is now very much talking shape and it is good to see someone, in the current turbulent time's doing such fascinating and rewarding work.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    A year or two back Trebuchet mentioned someone in his neck of the woods who was rebuilding "a 109-year old English sailing yacht called Tally Ho.". The rebuild is available on YouTube The work has now reached the stage of planking the hull. It has been amazing to watch the skill the owner, and his helpers, have used to do their work. While modern power machinery has been used there has also been a lot of skillful hand crafting done. More recently there were a few interesting 'episodes' showing a foundry in a Port Townsend casting some bronze parts 'knees etc, for the boat.

The vessel is now very much talking shape and it is good to see someone, in the current turbulent time's doing such fascinating and rewarding work.
    I've even driven by the boat a time or two, and contribute on Patron. I was very pleased a while back to see Leo reuse material from the original transom, because not much else of the old boat is left.
    You may also enjoy Acorn to Arabella, a new boat being built in Massachusetts.

I've even driven by the boat a time or two, and contribute on Patron. I was very pleased a while back to see Leo reuse material from the original transom, because
    You may also enjoy Acorn to Arabella, a new boat being built in Massachusetts.
    I was wondering if you had seen the boat. I do remember the use of the old transom material. "not much else of the old boat is left." - yes, much as I admire the work being done the boat has become a bit like the antique axe that has the handle and blade replaced many times.

Acorn to Arabella - now bookmarked, thanks.