Page 173 of 180 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,190 of 5375

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I haven't bought petrol for three months.

Grant Hutchison

That might not be so good for your car. But my pickup has been parked in the same spot for about that time! I should go drive it around.
    Oh, and the fuel tax was 67.8 cents per US gallon. Probably significantly less than any of our European members but higher than almost anywhere else in the USA.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    At least a couple months for me (not really keeping track) and probably won’t need to buy gas for another month or two. I’ve had a lot of deliveries, though, but have deliberately held off on one or two possibles just to give myself an excuse to run the car.

I’m wondering now if I should buy some gas stabilizer . . .

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That might not be so good for your car. But my pickup has been parked in the same spot for about that time! I should go drive it around.
    Oh, and the fuel tax was 67.8 cents per US gallon. Probably significantly less than any of our European members but higher than almost anywhere else in the USA.
    I checked and our (California) combined fuel taxes (state, Federal, other fees) according to one source are 79 cents per gallon, and that may be out of date. I drove a bit earlier tonight, and saw that gas prices for regular here at budget stations are over $2.50. Of course, we have a special low smog fuel blend, not sure if you have that there, but it raises our prices too. In any case, California regularly gets noted for high gas prices (by US standards).

As for me, I still have three quarters of a tank, and will probably fill it when I get to half, just to mix in some fresh gas.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm done moving, and I don't have more kittens to pick up, so the usage on my car is going to drop considerably. I've suggested that, if I don't go anywhere for a week or so, Graham should drive my car to work just to keep the battery going.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    The last time for me was 11 April and I still have over half a tank. Before that was 26 February. So about every 6 weeks; normally it is every 2 weeks.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I was staying at my Yiayia’s apartment again in a dream a few weeks ago. She wasn’t there, but it was like it was when she was alive and we stayed when visiting her, whereas in the real world I imagine it probably has a new tenant now and is decorated different. I had an important decision to make the next day so it did give me a good feeling.
    i had to look up Yiayia. It's Greek to me!

i had to look up Yiayia. It's Greek to me!
    Yes, my mom’s side of the family are Greek, so I always called my maternal grandma Yiayia.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Just got a call from they guy I help move furniture with for the auction company, his wife is the one that does the hiring for the company. He had just had surgery but they are all right and it will be a few more weeks before they get back here but nice to hear they are doing all right.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We were getting a trifle stir-crazy yesterday so went to a drive to Fort Flagler State Park and saw this handsome critter. Not but 40 feet away!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eagle1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	25273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eagle2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	25274

Note that I'm trying an experiment here. Both files show upright on the camera, but sideways when I bring them into the image editor. So I rotated the first but did not rotate the second. What's it going to look like....

ETA:
    Well, that's really interesting!
    When I was creating the post, and in this edit window, the first showed sideways and the second upright. But when in the thread, it was the other way around. Until you click on them and then the first is sideways and the second upright again. Weird.

We live near a lake, so I'm pretty sure we've got bald eagles nearby.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The last time for me was 11 April and I still have over half a tank. Before that was 26 February. So about every 6 weeks; normally it is every 2 weeks.
    I'm also half tanked myself.

...Wait, I don't think that came out right.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Name:	DSCF8977.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	25276

The kittens have been making me very happy in general; they're both lap kitties, when they're not Playing Like Kittens kitties. The kids are, as I'd planned, learning from having them. Today, Simon learns how to clean a litter box.

"You can't erase icing."

The parking lots in West Potomac Park are closed due to the virus and only through-traffic is allowed, so my Mom dropped me off at the Jefferson Memorial and told me to meet her at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in an hour. I checked out the Jefferson Memorial, rented a bike at the city bikeshare automated kiosk, and went the long way around the Tidal Basin stopping to check out the FDR and MLK memorials (I pet Fala’s statue at the FDR memorial.)

It really is incredible crossing a bridge on a bike and seeing the Washington Monument on one side of you and the Pentagon and Air Force Memorial on the other.

Who gets to sanitize the bike after you return it?

Who gets to sanitize the bike after you return it?
    I’m not sure, I was wearing gloves and mask when riding, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post

Name:	DSCF8977.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	25276

The kittens have been making me very happy in general; they're both lap kitties, when they're not Playing Like Kittens kitties. The kids are, as I'd planned, learning from having them. Today, Simon learns how to clean a litter box.
    Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

This is definitely me:
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Nowhere near as cute as a kitten but...

When I'm out and about, I'm seldom seen without a hat and it's almost always a fedora. So, a trivial thing that makes me happy—getting a new hat:

Name:	Palm Fedora.jpeg 
Views:	233 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	25279

Made of braided palm, this will become my new fishing and kicking around hat, since the natty old felt fedora gets a bit warm in full, summer sun.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Swift, there are XKCD strips that I get and strips that I don't, and that one is the one that I identify with most of any he's ever done. To the point that we will deliberately say to cats, "You're a kitty! Yes you are!" in reference to it.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Nowhere near as cute as a kitten but...

When I'm out and about, I'm seldom seen without a hat and it's almost always a fedora. So, a trivial thing that makes me happy—getting a new hat:

Name:	Palm Fedora.jpeg 
Views:	233 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	25279

Made of braided palm, this will become my new fishing and kicking around hat, since the natty old felt fedora gets a bit warm in full, summer sun.
    Rocking it!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Swift, there are XKCD strips that I get and strips that I don't, and that one is the one that I identify with most of any he's ever done. To the point that we will deliberately say to cats, "You're a kitty! Yes you are!" in reference to it.
    Me too, and have done so within the last half hour! Then I do it in High School Spanish. Usted es una gatita! Una gatita muy sweeta con little white feeta! (Yes, I do know how to say that all in Spanish but "muy dulce" and "pies blancas" don't rhyme with "gatita".)

I get most XKCD's, but when I don't, Explain XKCD can be helpful.

Aside from kitties, we had lovely weather yesterday so I sat out on our lovely deck enjoying the lovely view while reading and listening to music.

The previous owners left, among other things, a functional window-mount air conditioner in the house. Graham is planning to install it when he gets home from work today.

"You can't erase icing."

The air conditioner does indeed work, but we ended up turning it off because the temperature was dropping outside. Then this morning, I actually woke up to a thunderstorm. We don't get those around here very often. What's more, both kids are still asleep, meaning I have some time all to myself.

"You can't erase icing."

Morning routine. Alarm at 6:30 so my wife can take her meds. Get up, use bathroom. Meander into the office and start up computer. At 7:00, go make a cup of coffee, start Eggos in the toaster, go take my meds. Eat breakfast in front of the computer and .... say, I wonder when Dragon is docking? Go to SpaceX twitter and Oh! Thirty meters out. Cool! Soft-captured now, hard-capture in progress.
    A nice break from the awful current news.

The kids and I slept in this morning. Later than I've slept in ages; I really need to rig the blackout curtains in our east-facing bedroom!

"You can't erase icing."

That my niece will have a graduation ceremony well sort of, there aloowing three grads at a time and a two cars of people for each grad to go in at a time.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I have just had a 'Telephone Consultation' with my Urologist discussing my resident Kidney Stone. They have been a recurring problem for me for the last 10 or so years. This latest one was diagnosed about 14 months ago after I passed a small stone, very quickly and almost painlessly, when I was in Brunei in February 2019. It was 8mm, so unlikely to be passed, and non-obstructive.

An ultrasound on Monday showed that it has not grown or moved since it was first spotted. I have had no symptoms. My Urologist is very much a 'watchful waiting' type so I will now get another scan in 12 months to see how it is going. This suits me fine and is actually what I expected to hear. I did not enjoy having a previous Ureteroscopy done, especially having a stent for a couple of weeks.

During the current epidemic, we have not been going anywhere. My wife's car has been asking for service for a couple of months, but we did not wish to drive 40 miles to the dealer and sit in their waiting room. Finally a local shop reopened and we got it taken care of yesterday. That's better!

The kids were playing in my car the other day, and Irene turned on my headlights--which I discovered when I was going to go pick up my medication. Fortunately, Graham found his trickle charger last night, so my car should be running again. You know, for all my driving needs.

"You can't erase icing."