Page 184 of 190 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,520 of 5676

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My dog has belly deep snow to play in. She loves it.
    I hope that's a reasonably small dog!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I just debugged my telescope!
    It's a Meade ETX90, set up and mostly used for terrestrial viewing. We've had it since about 1998.
    Anyhow, I went out to the deck this morning to look at a passing submarine (insert joke here) and discovered there was something in the field of view. Almost semi in focus. Weird.
    I took out the eyepiece and looked in the erecting prism. Still there. Took that off. Still there. Looked in the front. By moving my head around I could see that it was present somewhere inside. It gave me the impression of being an insect. I was surprised to see that the construction of the scope includes not just a hole in the mirror, but a tube extending up the inside from the hole toward the objective. Presumably that cuts reflections. The debris appeared to be just inside this tube at the end toward the objective.
    With some trepidation, I twisted on the objective to see if it unscrewed from the tube. It did. With that off I could pick the object out with tweezers. It was a small moth.
    There goes yet another excuse to buy a new telescope!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ha! In the manner of the first computer de-bugging, if I remember the story correctly.

I have the same scope and of the same vintage, also with a terrestrial viewing prism, and often use it for that. It's still the best scope for me because it's so quick to set up and therefore likely to be used.

I had been thinking of buying the Cyberpunk 2077 game but decided to stick to my rule to not buy a computer game until at least a month after it comes out, and Iím very happy I did. I donít buy many games anymore - I really cut back after the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco, which solidified my buying rule. Fact is too, Iím just not finding many games that interest me anymore.

Anyway, Cyberpunk 2077 sounded interesting, but if you havenít heard, is astonishingly buggy on game console versions. It really looks like an early Alpha version for those systems: glitches everywhere, objects appearing out of nowhere (including walls, road barriers and more), half finished humanoid characters and . . . it is essentially unplayable. The PC version is better, and thatís what I would get, but there are still lots of bugs - itís more like an early beta to the console alpha. But there are game play issues being mentioned that make it not so interesting even where it seems to work as intended.

So my current plan is to wait for the bugs to hopefully be fixed, and probably wait for the price to drop. It doesnít sound like it will be worth full price. And that is assuming I donít see some game ruining end game issue in future reviews like with Mass Effect 3.

I think about how annoyed I would be if I had taken a chance and broke my own rule, and this just reinforces how important the rule is.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I had been thinking of buying the Cyberpunk 2077 game but decided to stick to my rule to not buy a computer game until at least a month after it comes out, and I’m very happy I did. I don’t buy many games anymore - I really cut back after the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco, which solidified my buying rule. Fact is too, I’m just not finding many games that interest me anymore.

Anyway, Cyberpunk 2077 sounded interesting, but if you haven’t heard, is astonishingly buggy on game console versions. It really looks like an early Alpha version for those systems: glitches everywhere, objects appearing out of nowhere (including walls, road barriers and more), half finished humanoid characters and . . . it is essentially unplayable. The PC version is better, and that’s what I would get, but there are still lots of bugs - it’s more like an early beta to the console alpha. But there are game play issues being mentioned that make it not so interesting even where it seems to work as intended.

So my current plan is to wait for the bugs to hopefully be fixed, and probably wait for the price to drop. It doesn’t sound like it will be worth full price. And that is assuming I don’t see some game ruining end game issue in future reviews like with Mass Effect 3.

I think about how annoyed I would be if I had taken a chance and broke my own rule, and this just reinforces how important the rule is.
    I really haven’t heard a single good thing about this game— there are the glitches, some of which make it impossible to complete storylines, the character-creation is not everything people were promised, and there are complaints from Maori groups that some of their sacred tattoo designs are being used in profane contexts in the game. It really does sound like a mess.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

... There goes yet another excuse to buy a new telescope!
    Nonsense. It gives you a perfect excuse reason.

"Honey, the darn thing is attracting insects. Do you really want an infestation of creepy-crawlies?"
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yesterday we took a daytrip to a dam about 200 Km south of here - Wellington Dam. As a community project the State government has been funding the paintings of murals in the nearby town of Collie and on the dam walls. It is about half finished. The artist doing the walls of the dam is an Australian who has done similar murals around the world - including in the U.S.A. His website is interesting - https://www.guidovanhelten.com/projects

(Note that there is a high water level in this dam because it is not suitable for drinking purposes and barely so for irrigation. This is due due to high salinity level plus excessive bromine salts and contamination from agriculture. Some of it can be used for irrigation but it has to be carefully monitored. The dam, second biggest in W.A, was built in 1932 as a public work project during the Great Depression. The salinity etc was an unexpected problem. The outflow in the pictures is part of an attempt to keep the salinity in check by releasing hyper saline water from the bottom layers of the water. It felt really strange seeing water 'wasted' as we are so used to year round water restrictions.)

From above. (We arrived early in the morning and the shadow on the dam wall caused problems getting good photos from below the dam so we had to come back in the afternoon to get some better shots.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDam8.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	25811

From later in the day

Name:	CDam19.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	25812

Name:	CDam15.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	25813

Name:	CDam16.jpg 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	25815

I like the detail of the hand of the girl squeezing wet sand between her fingers.

Name:	CDam18.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	25814

Someone seems to've shown one of Simon's classmates how to turn down his microphone.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I've lost 13 or 14 pounds! Yay!

I had cataract surgery (right eye) this Wednesday past and while I felt like I had a twig in my eye until bedtime, itís improved markedly since. Now, my eyeglasses donít look perpetually smudged and when I have the left eye done, I may not even need them anymore.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I had cataract surgery (right eye) this Wednesday past and while I felt like I had a twig in my eye until bedtime, itís improved markedly since. Now, my eyeglasses donít look perpetually smudged and when I have the left eye done, I may not even need them anymore.
    I had mine done about five years ago. While I dont NEED glasses any more, it's still more comfortable to use mild correction single vision glasses for driving and minimum diopter reading glasses for close up.
    Unlike your original lenses, the new ones can't adjust their focus, so the doc has to compromise. In my case, the left is better for distance and the right for close.
    I still go to the eye doc yearly to make sure I'm not developing the retinal problems which run in my family.

I had mine done about five years ago. While I dont NEED glasses any more, it's still more comfortable to use mild correction single vision glasses for driving and minimum diopter reading glasses for close up.
    Unlike your original lenses, the new ones can't adjust their focus, so the doc has to compromise. In my case, the left is better for distance and the right for close.
    Yeah, I understood the limitations going in...prior medical admin, pre-op research, etc...so I didn't expect complete correction. I'll be happy just to get out of my glasses for most things. I reckon I'll need readers for close work and I'm curious as to what I'll wind up doing with my shop glasses, which are currently single vision...rather than my normal progressives...with the distance set to my outstretched fingertips. It would be nice to have clear vision in that range so I can use lighter, less expensive safety specs.

I'm to schedule surgery on the left eye during next week's follow-up appointment. Most of my astigmatism is in that eye, so I'll be getting a toric implant.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I had cataract surgery (right eye) this Wednesday past and while I felt like I had a twig in my eye until bedtime, it’s improved markedly since. Now, my eyeglasses don’t look perpetually smudged and when I have the left eye done, I may not even need them anymore.
    Glad it went well
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

This is not really about the movie & TV franchise itself, but about people's reactions to something in it, but I need to set up
    what happened in the movies & show so the reactions will make sense.

Star Wars franchise & especially "The Mandalorian" spoilers, although for something that probably everybody who would care
    about watching the show (which just recently ended its second season) already knows...

Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
    The setting is soon after "The Return Of The Jedi" but the show never involved any of the movie characters. In the
    most recent episode, the show's main characters were in a situation they couldn't get out of themselves, involving some
    death-droids that were impervious to small arms fire and strong enough to eventually punch through a blast door. They were
    rescued by Luke Skywalker, but the scene this happened in didn't confirm who it was at first. The signs & hints of who it was
    were gradually added on one by one while he was fighting his way to them, without showing his face or playing a musical
    theme from his movies until after he walked through the last doorway and met the show's main characters face-to-face.
    Different viewers gradually reach different levels of certainty about who they think it must be in stages along the way, but,
    by the end, when Luke reaches and tears through a particularly dense group of death droids in a hallway, similar to Darth
    Vader's hallway scene in Rogue 1, most are seeing this not as a mysterious stranger's hallway scene but as Luke's hallway
    scene. This sounds like an action scene, not a type of scene that would have anybody crying, right? But there are a lot of
    reactions to it online, and there's a lot of crying in them.

One interesting detail about that is that not just most but all of the crying viewers I know of were men. I don't have an
    explanation; it's just an interesting little speck of human psychology I just observed & found intriguing.

But aside from that, there's the question of why. I believe the answer has to do with how insultingly horrible the sequel
    "trilogy" movies were and what a dire disservice they did to Luke and his fans, essentially trying to tell us that some very bad
    other character was Luke when it obviously wasn't the real Luke. As this scene progressed, the viewers could see what was
    coming but didn't trust the people running the franchise to actually be doing what it looked like it was doing instead of just
    setting them up for something crappy again; in some cases they literally said things like "No, they can't really be doing this",
    "Tell me this is really happening", "Don't do this to me", and "Don't give me hope". The franchise had been taken over by people
    who literally openly hated the fans, the previous movies, and their characters, and told the fans that the problem was them
    being horrible monstrous people, not anything wrong with the movies. This rescue in "The Mandalorian" was a return to the
    real Luke, the Luke we had lost, reaching back before our most recent & almost abusive memories of "Luke" to be true to the
    older but better memories. (It actually reminded me of preferring to remember my father mainly from before his final several
    years because of what a sad state he was in during those years.) Although it didn't directly contradict the sequel "trilogy", its
    tone felt like an admission that they weren't real after all; it was an at least emotional & symbolic, if not literal, undoing of the
    sequel trilogy, giving us a better final entry in Luke's story instead of the foul farcical one we'd just had dumped on us before.
    It was not just a restoration of Luke but a step toward redemption of the franchise, showing that it's in better hands now.

On top of that, the way they produced that scene turned out to have been partially a Mark Hamill cameo (Luke Skywalker's
    original actor). He had previously expressed the same frustrations as any other fan over what had been done to his character,
    so, before the viewers even knew that he had been involved, some of the reactions included wondering whether Mark Hamill
    had been involved and "Wouldn't it be great if he got to come back for this?". They wanted him to have gotten to participate
    as much for his sake as for theirs. And when it was finally released and he saw the fan reactions, he posted on Twitter about
    this being one of the greatest gifts he'd ever been given. And the people in charge of the whole thing had known how important
    this one scene would be so they'd gone to great lengths to prevent it from being given away before it was released. I don't
    usually pay any attention to what actors say or news of behind-the-scenes production stuff, but in this case, it was all
    synergistic. The whole event, all over just a few minutes of one episode of a 2-year series, turned out to be one big cathartic/
    healing lovefest between the fans, the actor who loved the character as much as the fans, and the new writers/directors who
    wrote & directed like they were fans too, all uniting to make the experience as good as it could be for each other. That's a lot
    of mutual, shared positivity going around among millions of people (at a time when there's been a shortage of that lately in
    general); no fighting, no winning & losing, no accidental side-effects, no downside for anybody, just enjoyment for everybody
    involved.
    Last edited by Delvo; 2021-Jan-11 at 02:35 PM.

I enjoy reading the local weekly, which arrives in our mailbox each Wednesday afternoon. As it did this past Wednesday. I distinctly recall doing triage on the mail upon getting back from the mailbox, with 80% of it going directly to the recycle bin before taking the paper and one other item into the house.
    But then when I went to read it on Thursday morning, it wasn't anywhere to be found. Not by my chair where I read it. Not in the office where I might have carried it along with other mail. Not on the kitchen counter where mail sometimes sits waiting to be sorted. Just not anywhere. I looked again on Friday. And Saturday. One night I even dreamed of finding it, woke up and went to look for it and found it where it was in the dream. Except that part was a dream too!
    Yesterday I went into the laundry room to get something for my wife and there it was on the counter. I'd been doing some laundry on Wednesday and apparently stopped to put a load in the dryer on my way into the house! It made me SO happy to finally have that little mystery solved.

It's a Meade ETX90, set up and mostly used for terrestrial viewing. We've had it since about 1998.
    Anyhow, I went out to the deck this morning to look at a passing submarine (insert joke here) and discovered there was something in the field of view. Almost semi in focus. Weird.
    I took out the eyepiece and looked in the erecting prism. Still there. Took that off. Still there. Looked in the front. By moving my head around I could see that it was present somewhere inside. It gave me the impression of being an insect. I was surprised to see that the construction of the scope includes not just a hole in the mirror, but a tube extending up the inside from the hole toward the objective. Presumably that cuts reflections. The debris appeared to be just inside this tube at the end toward the objective.
    With some trepidation, I twisted on the objective to see if it unscrewed from the tube. It did. With that off I could pick the object out with tweezers. It was a small moth.
    I had the same scope a few years back. Optics are very good for planetary. I have the ETX125 right now. Saturn and Mars look incredible through those scopes. What is attached came from the ETX90 with a Mallincam Signature hdsi video camera, captured with a FEBON 188 dongy, processed in Registax. For the Saturn pic, the file is a bmp so just select Windows Photo Viewer when prompted to open it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CopernicusandFauth.jpg 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	25818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mars 6-24a.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	25819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saturn 6-24.bmp 
Views:	21 
Size:	671.1 KB 
ID:	25820  

Not at all trivial; My Mom has a Covid-19 vaccination appointment. And it's very soon.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It genuinely gives me a little lift every time I see the news that someone's getting vaccinated. No matter how tangential they are to me--no one in my immediate circle has yet qualified, though several friends have, but even when it was The Guy Ahead Of Me In Line At Best Buy, it's still a lift.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

A Twofer:

1. I got a text from a cousin yesterday. It had a picture of an old telegram from my grandfather to my aunt* informing her that my mother would be getting married in San Diego on Monday. It was a rush wedding; Dad was in the Navy and all ships were being ordered out because the bomb had just been dropped on Hiroshima. Apparently they were worried about guys deciding the war was over and deserting. She's mailing me the telegram.

* Not the mother of the cousin who sent it to me, but the third of the three sisters!

2. We are making chili according to my wife's sooper seekrit recipe. The house already smells delicious.

I've been scanning pictures from a family photo album my sister put together in high school. I have the pages scanned as full pages, but I've been taking the pictures out, scanning the individual pictures, and putting them back. And telling the kids stories about the people pictured in them. I also discovered that a couple of pages didn't get scanned, so I have those pictures, too.

"You can't erase icing."

Simon's teacher sends me his work every day so that I make sure he actually does it. Yesterday, she included a note saying that he's been participating more in class and has been doing what's asked of him more often, and she's really happy with that.

"You can't erase icing."

My sweat pants almost fell down yesterday. That's a good thing because it's a side effect of losing some weight!

My sweat pants almost fell down yesterday. That's a good thing because it's a side effect of losing some weight!
    Context matters!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Depending on where that happens it could lead to charges.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Depending on where that happens it could lead to charges.
    No worries, I only wear them in the house! And if they lead to anything here, I'd be extremely happy!

But the jeans are getting more comfortable as well. Just not to the falling-down point.

This afternoon, I was getting hungry and wanted a snack. Previously, that would have meant potato chips and dip, or something equally bad. Today I had A Napple. (Say it out loud.)

I was really upset when the ARNP diagnosed me with T2 diabetes due to an A1C of 6.5, the absolute minimum for such a diagnosis. Now I'm at least somewhat glad she did. I was aware I was fatter than any time in my life, but that really made it hit home. I just hope I can keep it up. When I see the main Doc in early March I'd be very happy to show him I lost, hmm, what can I hope for, 20 pounds?

In keeping with the thread title, Amanda Gorman.

If the name is unfamiliar, that's why we have Google. And YouTube.

Hugely, majorly, amazingly impressive young woman.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    In keeping with the thread title, Amanda Gorman.

If the name is unfamiliar, that's why we have Google. And YouTube.

Hugely, majorly, amazingly impressive young woman.
    Yes.

It was interesting hearing about the speech difficulty she overcame; I had never heard of such a thing (having difficulty saying certain letters).

I also heard that her books of poems have jumped to numbers 1 and 2 on Amazon.

Stuff that bugs me: We can't talk about WHY she's famous on this forum.

Stuff that bugs me: We can't talk about WHY she's famous on this forum.
    Sure you can - she was the poet that spoke at the inauguration of President Biden and she is the National Youth Poet Laureate. Neither of those are political.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    It was interesting hearing about the speech difficulty she overcame; I had never heard of such a thing (having difficulty saying certain letters).
    Irene has issues with that. Sure, in her case it's in no small part because she's not-quite-four, but I'm still translating a lot when she talks to people outside the family.

And her fourth birthday present is supposed to be in today's mail, which will make her happy when she unwraps it. For some reason, her favourite kind of animal is animals with long necks. [shrugs] Except "nakes." She's not a fan of those. But for a while, we had a heavy giraffe fixation, because giraffes have long necks. Since her favourite colour is pink, I'm sure you can all guess which animal she's getting a stuffed version of for her birthday--it's a new one she just realized exists that makes her very happy.

"You can't erase icing."