Page 174 of 176 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 5253

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

A couple of friends are going to help me figure out tenants' unions to get what's fair from our former landlord.

But in extremely happy, yesterday, I made a post for my Ren faire boss on Facebook that was the most successful marketing I've done yet. I posted an image of some of our merchandise and by the time I went to bed last night had five orders, one for multiple items. Since he's replacing the battery to my camera, which is no longer holding as much of a charge as it used to--as in, after I take pictures for the site, I make sure to charge it again before trying a wireless download of them--I feel much better having demonstrably made him more sales.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I got a lovely Fathers Day text from my niece. She's the daughter we never had.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Visit Oregon's beautiful Exploding Whale Memorial Park!

https://www.livescience.com/explodin...rk-oregon.html
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Toga Party! Err, TOGA Switches. I found the video interesting, because for quite a long period of time I was responsible for the installation of said switches on every model of Boeing airplane. Among a great many other things. And I still learned a few things from the video.
    Other comments:
    1. Cute doggies!
    2. The 757 and 767 don't actually have TOGA switches, just GA switches, because the takeoff function isn't implemented.
    3. The original design of TOGA switch actuators for the 747 and 777 had some problems because they were too easy to operate inadvertently. I had to fix those.
    4. I still hate the color they made me paint those thrust levers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Toga Party! Err, TOGA Switches. I found the video interesting, because for quite a long period of time I was responsible for the installation of said switches on every model of Boeing airplane. Among a great many other things. And I still learned a few things from the video.
    Other comments:
    1. Cute doggies!
    2. The 757 and 767 don't actually have TOGA switches, just GA switches, because the takeoff function isn't implemented.
    3. The original design of TOGA switch actuators for the 747 and 777 had some problems because they were too easy to operate inadvertently. I had to fix those.
    4. I still hate the color they made me paint those thrust levers.
    Clicks link.
    Oh, Mentour Pilot, yeah he has some very good videos for those with an interest in aviation.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Yes, I should watch him more!
    I have both good and bad memories of my time at Boeing. The good involving the people I worked with, and the interesting problems I got to solve. The bad involving the senior management, and the many idiotic processes that got imposed on people who were just trying to do a job.

I'm having a "virtual birthday party" for Simon--mostly asking my friends to send him cards, really--and one of my friends asked if she could give him a rock polisher. Which is something he'd love and something I would've loved at his age. What's more, I was feeling a little guilty about how much this friend has spent on my kids--she bought Simon's school supplies last September and is someone I literally have not seen since college--and then discovered that she's three or four down on the list of people I'm planning to make an elaborate hand-embroidered present for, which she didn't know.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

The long-delayed Formula 1 auto racing season has at last begun, in Austria. I've been a fan since 1966.

After months with no live sailing to watch, the Vendée Arctique race has begun!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I have just noticed that the KATMAI NATIONAL PARK live 'Bear-Cam' has come back on-line.

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-b...m-brooks-falls

Cool! Got to remember to give it a look!

A card for Simon arrived in our mailbox from Port Townsend, WA, yesterday!

"You can't erase icing."

Was there a kitty on it?

Imagining all the e.g. (kids that die of bone cancer), and unlucky life everywhere exist happily in the bulk universe.

Was there a kitty on it?
    There was! A whole bunch of cards have been arriving, and it's great.

"You can't erase icing."

Happy Birthday Simon.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

An overdue followup to a post in the Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me thread:

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My rheumatologist called this afternoon with the results of my most recent, regular blood work. Positive result for TB but I'm symptom-free. I go in tomorrow for chest films.
    My chest films were clear, so the doc referred me for another sort of blood test (T-SPOT.TB) which came back negative. So, the doc called our state health department for their input. They said to redo the first blood test and if it was also negative, they would deem the first test to be a false positive. So we did, it was and they did. Negative, false positive. Hoo-freakin'-rah! I had to suspend my bimonthly Cimzia injections during month all of this was going on. This latest news came just in time for my first-of-the-month injection.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Good news!
    My late mother-in-law grew up on farms drinking raw milk and her grandfather died of TB. She always tested positive but never actually had the disease.

Good news!
    My late mother-in-law grew up on farms drinking raw milk and her grandfather died of TB. She always tested positive but never actually had the disease.
    Most people are unaware of the role the United States played in the complete eradication of bovine T.B in Australia. During World War 2 U.S troops stationed in Australia were obviously supplied with local foods - free of charge under the Lend-lease program. One condition the U.S Army applied was that milk had to be supplied from tuberculin-tested herds. Previously the local enforcement of rules had been slapdash and suffered from political indifference.This requirement tipped the balance and was teamed with plenty of practical help offered by the U.S authorities. Similar action was taken with regard to some other food processing industries and it resulted in a much healthier food chain.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My chest films were clear, so the doc referred me for another sort of blood test (T-SPOT.TB) which came back negative. So, the doc called our state health department for their input. They said to redo the first blood test and if it was also negative, they would deem the first test to be a false positive. So we did, it was and they did. Negative, false positive. Hoo-freakin'-rah! I had to suspend my bimonthly Cimzia injections during month all of this was going on. This latest news came just in time for my first-of-the-month injection.
    That’s great! Just a false positive. I looked up Cimzia and I see it is another TNF alpha blocker. I assume that’s why they were testing you for TB in the first place since it affects immune response. Years ago when my Crohn’s disease was very bad, and other treatments hadn’t been doing much, I had a remicade infusion soon after it was approved. I think it was one of the first TNF alpha blockers. It seemed to reset something in my immune system since I improved dramatically in weeks and have only had a few minor flareups since then, with no further infusions or surgery. I’m told that was a very unusual response to the medicine (most need 8 week repeat treatments) but for me it did a good job of fitting the bill of a miracle treatment. I think TNF alpha blockers have made a big difference in a number of inflammatory diseases.

Incidentally, my aunt had a crippling case of rheumatoid arthritis, my mother had a bad case of psoriatic arthritis and I have Crohn’s, all diseases now often treated with TNF alpha blockers because of similar inflammation processes. I’m convinced there are deep connections between the diseases, though my doctors have said there isn’t enough data on that to come to a firm conclusion.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Incidentally, my aunt had a crippling case of rheumatoid arthritis, my mother had a bad case of psoriatic arthritis and I have Crohn’s, all diseases now often treated with TNF alpha blockers because of similar inflammation processes. I’m convinced there are deep connections between the diseases, though my doctors have said there isn’t enough data on that to come to a firm conclusion.
    You're right. You might be interested in reading the paper Genetics of immune-mediated inflammatory diseases, which was published a couple of years ago.

Grant Hutchison

Thanks, Grant! That is interesting. The last time I asked a doctor about this was more than two years ago.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Yesterday, my firstborn and her boyfriend (who I like a lot better than her last one) came down to spend the night with us. We played board games with Simon and looked through my high school yearbook and just generally talked, and it's been wonderful.

"You can't erase icing."

I love looking at yearbooks and hearing about tales from school.
    In what is perhaps the best news this year—Hideaki Horie may have made advanced batteries inexpensive to produce...from nextbigfuture.

Today is my oldest's 18th birthday. It been over a decade since we've been home for his birthday. He was either camping with his scout troop or working at the Scout camp. Every July 14th, my wife would wake up at 5 am and drive out to meet him (or us) at camp with a cake and donuts.

Today, he woke up and said: "Hey, where is my Tim Hortons?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tim hortons.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	25371

Ok, thanks to the Pandemic, I did drop the ball on that.
    Solfe

It's my tradition to tell my friends what celebrities they share birthdays with; your oldest shares his with Roosevelt "Rosey" Grier! One of the better football players-turned-actors, and one of the people who helped capture Sirhan Sirhan!

"You can't erase icing."

Another funny outcome from the Pandemic. My son Paul got in trouble for having a phone at school. There is a long sorted story about it, but the short version is, they required him to have a phone or tablet for class for the first 3 years and in his senior year decided "phones are bad" and banned them. They saw him listening to music on his phone, took it and called me to come pick it up. They made him sign paper work promising not to bring a phone to school for any purpose, even music. He got really mad at the principal and blurted out something like, "So if I had been listening music on an ipod, that would have been ok?" The principal said, "Yes."

He took his last money from summer camp and bought a bunch of ipods off of ebay, loaded them with music and was renting them to students for 5 dollars a day.

This morning he was playing with an ipod and I asked if I could borrow one. He told me that that was the only one he had. He lost the others when the Pandemic struck and his whole business model collapsed. I asked what happened to them and he told me when the school closed, his renters took them home with them. He decided to give them away rather than reclaim them. "Too much in gas money to go get them," he said. I said that was really nice of him and he whimpered about losing 9 ipods in the deal and having to buy a iBook so he could log into the Apple accounts to complete the transfers.

I said, "You bought an iBook?" He said, "Yeah." I asked him where he got the money for that and he pulled out an iPad to show me a spreadsheet with his earnings. I said, "Where did you get an iPad?" and he said, "I'm about to show you my earnings. Kids drop things, so there were some unexpected costs cutting into my profits. Corded head phones mainly. And the Microsoft 360 account I needed for Excel. It's nicer than Apple's Numbers..."

Yeah, this kid is going to do ok.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's my tradition to tell my friends what celebrities they share birthdays with; your oldest shares his with Roosevelt "Rosey" Grier! One of the better football players-turned-actors, and one of the people who helped capture Sirhan Sirhan!
    I like to do that, too.

A few years ago, I mention that Gerald Ford was born on July 14th. I was shocked that Paul scoffed and gave me a dissertation on Gertrude Bell, which morphed into the accomplishments of Gertrude Bacon and Chuck Yeager. Paul is learning to fly, so everything is about aviation.

Bacon was a balloonist and astronomer (with the same first name as Bacon), and Yeager was a pilot and ambassador (Bell was an ambassador, too). Thanks to this talk, I didn't need to Google anything, except the fact that the teaching school's building at Buffalo State College was named after Bacon. For some reason, people working there are insistent that the name is pronounced "BEA-con", which confuses me. I never figured that out.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    <snip>
    My wife has Crohn's and also mild arthritis and her GI told her years ago that there is a connection, so I'm surprised your doctor said otherwise. By the way, she is on Humira; not quite your miracle, but it has hugely improved her condition.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My sister shares a birthday (October 27) with Teddy Roosevelt; a fact she always liked.

I actually share a birthday with someone I work with (December 24), the first time in my life I shared the date with someone I know, though I think her birth year is 10 or 15 year after mine.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules