Page 163 of 173 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,890 of 5183

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Yes I paid $1.99 a gallon two days ago at Costco. Of course it took half of my 401k to fill the tank.
    Schlaugh wins the internet for today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Yes I paid $1.99 a gallon two days ago at Costco. Of course it took half of my 401k to fill the tank.
    . . . because your stocks or funds are down so much? Ugh, had to think about that one for a minute.

This is one time I am happy I am pretty conservative. Though I have had significant paper losses.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    . . . because your stocks or funds are down so much? Ugh, had to think about that one for a minute.
    Now I get it. Slow there, sorry.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Truthfully (and I’ve never let truth get in the way of humor - unless it helps) I haven’t looked at my funds since this debacle started. And don’t plan to unless I need some money in the checking account.

Along the same lines, this XKCD from a couple of days ago.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My favorite XKCD recently: https://xkcd.com/2275/

Heard from my mom this morning. She wants to know if she can call me sometimes so she has human contact, which means she's definitely taking reasonable precautions for a 76-year-old woman.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

So that's say.. a hundred thousand gallons?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I wish.

Our new electric bikes are starting to have a good effect on us. Today we did a pleasant 23 km cruise around the river parks. I only used electric assistance for less than 200 metres of that 23 Km. But that little bit of assistance means that I don't get bogged down on short steep hills. It also means that we can now build up the distances travelled as we know that if we get tired or a really strong head-wind blows up we can just turn on the power and still get home. Since my knees became a bit wonky and made climbing any sort of a hill a bit of a hassle - being forced to drop to bottom gear and climb very slowly - I have felt restricted in riding more than short distances.

My wife who has never ridden regularly is still using the motor assistance, usually on the lowest setting, most of the time, but is slowly building up the distances she travels without assistance. She is much happier now she can keep up with me on the flat and can pass me on slopes when I have to change down and work a bit harder. Her main problem has been recovering from a bad graze on her knee from a fall in her first couple of weeks of riding when she was still getting used to her bike. She ended up needing antibiotics and is still dressing the wound.

All this being said, I must admit that Perth is not a very hilly place anyway. The highest hill in the greater city area is just 93 metres above sea level.

Talking

Hold on to your butts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20200318_174204.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	24971  

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Hold on to your butts.
    I think the tax alone in our state is close to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Hold on to your butts.
    I doubt we've hit the bottom. Being almost completely at home, I'm doing almost no driving, as are millions of others. The airlines are using a lot less fuel. It will be one of the few bright spots in the economy (except it won't be a bright spot for laid off oil workers).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I doubt we've hit the bottom. Being almost completely at home, I'm doing almost no driving, as are millions of others. The airlines are using a lot less fuel. It will be one of the few bright spots in the economy (except it won't be a bright spot for laid off oil workers).
    And down she goes, one day to the next. Saw two different stations with this price. Not to say there aren't higher prices, but almost none are over $2 here.

Name:	MVIMG_20200319_104923.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	508.2 KB 
ID:	24972  

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Many of our restaurants are converting to a drive through service. I would like to be sure the alcohol based wipes are effective for wiping down buttons, fuel nozzles, food containers and all that kind of stuff. I guess credit cards can get infected inside the automatic machines too. Watching Italy, we have a long way to go in UK and USA. !
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Italy does have a culture with a lot of physical contact. Things are less huggy and kissy here in the US, and about to get far less so. Still, we do have lots of Spring Breakers mingling closely at beaches in many locations and countries, then returning home, to look forward to.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I don't know how we're handling this, but we officially close on the thirtieth. Graham has agreed to pay another month's rent on this apartment, which will bring us to living in this complex--two different apartments--for exactly sixteen years to the day. My plan right now is that we'll pack stuff, and then every day, the kids and I will put a few boxes in the car and then go to the new house, where I will put things away properly and they will run around and get their energy out. Until the time when we've officially got the furniture there, at which point we'll come over, pack a box or two, and head home again.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I don't know how we're handling this, but we officially close on the thirtieth. ...
    This makes me happy, too!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yes, congrats on the new house.

Smile

For sale in local CVS stores... Eat a T. Rex for Easter!

Name:	KIMG1043.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	24998  

Huh... maybe the one place a tail-dragging T. rex with “bunny hands” can be excused?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

My oldest niece got a scholarship to go to the university she wants to go to.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The local SPCA is out of dogs. All of them were adopted. That's awesome. (Facebook link.)
    Solfe

People need some company.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Also, dog-walking has been accepted in several countries as a valid reason to break "stay at home" lockdowns.
    My brother tells me that there are some pretty exhausted looking Spanish dogs, who can be seen out in the street with a different "owner" at hourly intervals.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    My oldest niece got a scholarship to go to the university she wants to go to.
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The local SPCA is out of dogs. All of them were adopted. That's awesome. (Facebook link.)
    Also awesome.

We went for a walk around our block yesterday, possibly for the last time. At the time we went on a Monday, you usually see dozens of people, but we hardly saw anyone. Hoping that means most of the local offices are closed and everyone's working from home if they can.

"You can't erase icing."

My new project manager's daughters are spending their time at home making cotton surgical masks. They're homemade so not prefect, but they are giving them to a veterinarian they know so the vet can donate his factory-made masks to the local hospital.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My new project manager's daughters are spending their time at home making cotton surgical masks. They're homemade so not prefect, but they are giving them to a veterinarian they know so the vet can donate his factory-made masks to the local hospital.
    That's just lovely.
    I scored a 12-pack of store-brand TP today. I feel guilty for buying it but it made my wife feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I scored a 12-pack of store-brand TP today. I feel guilty for buying it but it made my wife feel better.
    We make sacrifices for those we love.