Page 141 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 4375

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    There apparently is a coin shortage in the US.
    I would have thought the opposite, as I haven’t handled any coins (or bills for that matter) since March.
    Turns out the mints cut back production to reduce employee exposure to the virus.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Which is a good thing! I guess everyone's quarantine project should be to go digging in drawers and in their couches?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    There apparently is a coin shortage in the US.
    I would have thought the opposite, as I havenít handled any coins (or bills for that matter) since March.

Iíve used me credit card for everything, taking advantage of customer operated terminals to avoid touching stuff other people touch.

I think the other part of this is that if you are not shopping in person (and most of our shopping has been on-line for delivery or pick-up) you are not circulating your coins. I know we have a big coin jar that's pretty full at the moment. We usually dump that into one of those machines in the grocery store for converting your coins to bills or credit (Coin Star is one such company), but if we are not going to the grocery store, we're not doing that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Same here. When I do use cash I try to have exact change so I don't get any back. I guess I should take some accumulated change to the bank, or the coinstar machine.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I just spent more than an hour down a Wikipedia rabbit hole about cricket. I didn't understand any of it. Why did I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just spent more than an hour down a Wikipedia rabbit hole about cricket. I didn't understand any of it. Why did I do that?
    I don't see your problem. Crickets are fascinating creatures. Spending an hour or so learning about them …

Oh, wait. No "s".

Yeah, I get it now.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Hey, at least Cricket has REAL World Championship games. In fact, Australia is due to play Afghanistan later this year in Perth. Truthfully, unless you are brought up with it I believe that the the whole ethos of the game is hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Truthfully, unless you are brought up with it I believe that the the whole ethos of the game is hard to understand.
    I can confirm that. It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma shrouded by a Douglas Adams reference.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

One of my favourite mystery novels has a chapter that details a cricket game in exquisite detail, and I still don't understand what's going on.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Kind of a disappointing result from an encyclopaedia, one would have to say. I've always favoured encyclopaedias in which there's a direct relationship between time spent and knowledge gained.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Kind of a disappointing result from an encyclopaedia, one would have to say. I've always favoured encyclopaedias in which there's a direct relationship between time spent and knowledge gained.

Grant Hutchison
    In this case, the knowledge was a bit too arcane!

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    WP may bill itself primarily as an encyclopedia, but that's secondary to its main function as a bottomless singularity sucking up time and attention from its users.

I read that article and I reckoned that any game which has positions called Silly, Fly and Gully is OK by me.

But I still don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    WP may bill itself primarily as an encyclopedia, but that's secondary to its main function as a bottomless singularity sucking up time and attention from its users.
    A lot of the time that's true, but for me (because of my position) WP is sometimes quite useful. When I am looking for how to translate something between English and Japanese, often online dictionaries are outdated, but if I go to WP and then switch from Japanese to English, I often get a better description of what the proper term is, particularly for advanced research topics where the real dictionaries and encyclopedias haven't had time to catch up. Of for example, the names of animals and plants.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    One of my favourite mystery novels has a chapter that details a cricket game in exquisite detail, and I still don't understand what's going on.
    That would have to be "Murder Must Advertise".

sclaugh: I read that article and I reckoned that any game which has positions called Silly, Fly and Gully is OK by me.

And schlaugh, a fieldsman is also often placed in Cow Corner as well, especially in the shorter forms of cricket.

That would have to be "Murder Must Advertise".[I]
    It is indeed! I've read it many times. Dorothy L. Sayers was quite clearly a cricket fan, but that doesn't make the rules make sense to me.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It is indeed! I've read it many times. Dorothy L. Sayers was quite clearly a cricket fan, but that doesn't make the rules make sense to me.
    That would be the one in which the protagonist, needing an alias, calls himself "Death".
    I'm not sure if I read it or just saw on PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    That certainly falls into the category of "Stuff I don't get". Along with people who get tied up for hours on YouTube. After thirty seconds in either venue, I develop a fretful urge to escape.

Grant Hutchison

I recall reading the book by Douglas Adams where the antagonists were Krikkitmen. At the time of reading, I had a friends from several other countries who were able to explain the game to me. It seems that over the years, I have lost that data. Maybe as I learn things, my brain swells and gets smoother.
    Solfe

That would be the one in which the protagonist, needing an alias, calls himself "Death".
    I'm not sure if I read it or just saw on PBS.
    That is actually his second name so it wasn't much of a stretch. In full he is - Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey DSO.

That is actually his second name so it wasn't much of a stretch. In full he is - Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey DSO.
    Well yes, of course, but that's not so much fun!
    I got a bit tired of Sayers after a while. Probably the last I read was Gaudy Night, which made no sense at all to me. And I got tired of her upper class villains being given the chance to "do the right thing" while lower classes just got hanged.

I seem to recall that Wimsey pronounced it "Deeth". The only Death I knew in real ife (pardon the pun) pronounced it "Dee Ath". I presume that's because, as a family name, it derives from de Ath, "of Ath".

Grant Hutchison

I've known both Deeths and De'Aths, but they all spell it the same.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Well yes, of course, but that's not so much fun!
    I got a bit tired of Sayers after a while. Probably the last I read was Gaudy Night, which made no sense at all to me. And I got tired of her upper class villains being given the chance to "do the right thing" while lower classes just got hanged.
    One of Wimsey’s insights was that it is impossible to advertise to wealthy people, they just search when they want something, while the poorer get sold things they crave as catching up somehow. It’ s not class exactly but ever with us.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I wonder if there was ever a De Ath de-earthed.

That reminds me of another thing I "just don't get": why people with certain obviously awful names in the context in which they currently live don't just change them, regardless of how non-awful they were in their original context 240 years ago in Oslo.

The general manager a company I worked for was called "Ade". He was born in Germany in the 1930s....

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    That reminds me of another thing I "just don't get": why people with certain obviously awful names in the context in which they currently live don't just change them, regardless of how non-awful they were in their original context 240 years ago in Oslo.
    They're used to it, it's difficult to change names legally or financially, they don't want to dishonor their families. Any one or more of these.

I think I feel my blood sugar tanking, going low. Now, I am going to go upstairs and take a reading but until that machine spits out a number, I'll will believe that I am low. Sometimes, I am right. Other times, my sugar will be very high. Either, there is a point where one feels like another, or I am running around with some really odd beliefs.

I would be shocked to find that there is one particular feeling associated with both low and high readings... so I have some odd beliefs. Which I just don't get.
    Solfe

I was mincing some garlic for aioli yesterday. Why is it so dang STICKY?