Page 140 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142 LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 4240

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Did you happen to recently look at a Korean site, something about Seoul or South Korea in general?

I don’t use tapatalk, but I’ve noticed sometimes if I had been looking up something on Russian sites, like something space related, I sometimes see an Russia oriented ad. Same with Italy or other European countries, Japan, etc. And I get a lot of ads in Spanish, though I’ve forgotten most that I knew.
    Not that I recall. Since posting that, I've gotten two or three other similar ones.

I've recently been remembering my High School Spanish from 50(!!!) years ago and talking to the kitty in it. Me gatita muy bonita!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I don’t get how many people seem to think leaving their trash on the ground at scenic overlooks in a National Park is okay when there are numerous signs and trash cans about sixty feet away in the picnic area.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I don’t get how many people seem to think leaving their trash on the ground at scenic overlooks in a National Park is okay when there are numerous signs and trash cans about sixty feet away in the picnic area.
    You expect them to WALK sixty feet?

I lived in Fiji for two and a half years. Beautiful tropical paradise and all that. I've been at the beach, and had a family sit down "next door" to have a picnic. Then when they're done, just get up and walk away, leaving behind everything. Opened tins, paper plates, ... just left on the ground.

Thailand for a holiday: shrines are very sacred. OK. But, yep, you'll find a disused shrine on top of every pile of trash along a country road.

I just drove home from the hardware store (USian languaged?), and saw evidence of fly-tipping on the back road I took. It happens here too.

Forget the signs and trash cans; the people who just can't take their litter away with them have something broken in their heads.

(There's an argument that proper disposal costs money and some people have to make a choice; but that doesn't apply to the people leaving litter in a place like the quoted post.)

... and then there's what the smokers like to throw anywhere.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Well, if you’re eating and drinking, perhaps you could do it at a picnic table under a shady tree, dispose of the trash in a handy trash bin, and THEN take a short walk to the scenic overlook with both hands free for your camera?

Well, if you’re eating and drinking, perhaps you could do it at a picnic table under a shady tree, dispose of the trash in a handy trash bin, and THEN take a short walk to the scenic overlook with both hands free for your camera?
    Now, you’re just being silly.

/sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I don't normally see much trash in places where it shouldn't be, except for one kind, so...

"I just don't get"... why smokers think their communities' public places are their ash tray.

We're heading into the season where that belief is literally dangerous, too--vast numbers of fires are started every year by smokers' tossing cigarettes out of car windows. Almost every median fire around here is started that way, and we usually have several a year. A lot of wildfires are started that way, too. And that's just in my particularly wet little corner of the world; add in other places with these fires, and the damage is enormous.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

On the positive side, I don’t see nearly as many of them around as I used to, or as many people tossing them out a car.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Indeed, smoking appears to be down considerably in my (and Gillian's) state. Weirdly, I seem to see more women smoking in public than men.

Perhaps after Korean cosmetic leg surgery. Lots of things in Korea apparently deserve copying. Well... kimchi does!

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I don't get it either, beyond the idea that some people are just slobs.

One observation that has been made by numerous people who manage parks (and I've observed myself) is that if a place looks like it is already trashed, people will be more likely to litter, whereas if the place is clean, people are much less likely to be the first to litter. That's why I'm pretty serious when I hike to pick up trash if I see it (as long as I can do so without risking my health).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I don't get it either, beyond the idea that some people are just slobs.

One observation that has been made by numerous people who manage parks (and I've observed myself) is that if a place looks like it is already trashed, people will be more likely to litter, whereas if the place is clean, people are much less likely to be the first to litter. That's why I'm pretty serious when I hike to pick up trash if I see it (as long as I can do so without risking my health).
    I think that one aspect of it might be that people who would otherwise pick up and deposit the trash of others are afraid to touch it without gloves because of the virus.

I think that one aspect of it might be that people who would otherwise pick up and deposit the trash of others are afraid to touch it without gloves because of the virus.
    No doubt COVID-19 complicates matters. But all of this was true well before COVID-19 showed up.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I have a friend who's in one of those social circles where everyone is in a multi-level marketing company. (A pyramid scheme by any other name, but selling various things that you can theoretically make money selling but really you're not going to.) One of her friends sells magnetic fake eyelashes. Now, I've never used any kind of fake eyelashes, because life's too short, but at least I understand the societal pressures on women that make them think they should have thicker eyelashes, or at any rate understand that those pressures are there and that fake eyelashes are a possible solution to them. But I don't know how the magnetic ones work or who thought of that or why anyone went along with it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

So out of curiosity I had to look it up. It apparently works with eyeliner that has magnetic (I’d guess iron) particles. I have to wonder how well they stay on.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

There are also versions in which the magnetic eyelashes attach to small strip magnets, thereby pinching on to your real eyelashes. There's a sort of applicator thing like a set of eyelash curlers, but with the eyelashes loaded on one arm and the little magnet on the other. Or so I interpreted the thing I saw.
    I know all this because I recently found a loose magnet in the eye of a fourteen-year-old girl who'd had a misadventure with such a kit. The details of how it happened were not clear, but she had a tiny magnet a few millimetres long adhering to the inside of a very inflamed lower eyelid. I was tempted to try and extract it with a neodymium magnet there and then, but decided my days of improvising ways of extracting foreign bodies were behind me, and advised her mother to take her up to the local Accident & Emergency department, where they'd be able to give her some local anaesthetic and check for a corneal abrasion, too.

Back in the day I worked in A&E myself, I saw a guy who had managed to put the glue for the old-fashioned kind of false eyelashes into his eye. That seemed to be quite unpleasant.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Jun-29 at 10:46 PM.

I don't get why some YouTube algorithm thought I would want to watch a video (and not a short one) of a beekeeper "euthanizing" an entire hive of excessively aggressive bees.
    I even more don't get why I clicked on it and watched the whole thing. I suppose I'll put it down to curiosity about the method, which turned out to be soapy water.

I suspect part of the algorithm is a random number generator. One of the odd ones I ran into was a pest control guy who trains mink to catch rats. They are apparently very good at catching rats, better than cats, no playing with the prey, and can get into tighter locations. He is hired by farms, warehouse owners and so forth to clear hard to reach infestations. Most of the training is about keeping the mink focused on the job and returning to him with the catch. Similar to you, not a subject I planned to watch, but I was curious enough to watch a video.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Sort of ferreting out the rats, then!

I don't get why some YouTube algorithm thought I would want to watch a video (and not a short one) of a beekeeper "euthanizing" an entire hive of excessively aggressive bees.
    I even more don't get why I clicked on it and watched the whole thing. I suppose I'll put it down to curiosity about the method, which turned out to be soapy water.
    That's kind of sad. I get that there are probably times that it's necessary, but usually you'd be able to manage that just by re-queening the hive instead. Soapy water seems like a bad choice, too; it will kill bees, but I think not very fast. Alcohol would probably be better.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    So out of curiosity I had to look it up. It apparently works with eyeliner that has magnetic (I’d guess iron) particles. I have to wonder how well they stay on.
    My friend posted on Facebook that the ones she was using worked really well, but she's also doing what are basically unpaid ads for a lot of her friends who sell for pyramid scams; she's in one herself, selling strips of nail polish that you put on all at once.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    That's kind of sad. I get that there are probably times that it's necessary, but usually you'd be able to manage that just by re-queening the hive instead. Soapy water seems like a bad choice, too; it will kill bees, but I think not very fast. Alcohol would probably be better.
    He was originally going to re-queen the hive but would have still had to put up with the aggressive bees during some weeks of replacement. The soapy water surprised me by doing the job pretty much instantly. He basically poured five gallons of it down through the top of the hive. Perhaps drowned them as much as anything.

He was originally going to re-queen the hive but would have still had to put up with the aggressive bees during some weeks of replacement. The soapy water surprised me by doing the job pretty much instantly. He basically poured five gallons of it down through the top of the hive. Perhaps drowned them as much as anything.
    Okay, had to track down the video (it appears to be trending, so that was actually pretty easy). Those were indeed crazy aggressive bees, and it sounded like he had neighbors close enough to be a concern as well, so I'll accept that he didn't have a realistic alternative. You could tell he felt pretty bad about it as well.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I was also recommended the bee-killing video. Sometimes YouTube just decides that everybody needs to see a certain one, no matter what anybody's previous viewing habits were like. The result is video recommendations that are not only not my kind but also conspicuously stubborn: once they've decided to push one at me it just keeps popping up over & over again.

There are some whole channels like that, too. Sometimes I refuse to click on even a video I might want to see, just because I can tell it's from one of those production-company channels YouTube loves and if I click on one from such a channel then I'll get flooded with recommendations for everything else that channel ever makes.

There's a really fun one that they decided Simon needed to see about a guy who made squirrels run an obstacle course.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There's a really fun one that they decided Simon needed to see about a guy who made squirrels run an obstacle course.
    To get to a bird feeder? I should look for that.
    We used to have a "squirrel-proof" bird feeder. It was a plastic bowl with a larger diameter plastic dome over the top. I hung it from the very corner of our roof, about three feet out from the deck and 18 feet above the ground. I was soon able to take a picture of a squirrel in it. They are very determined!

ETA: Here is a similar feeder. We had the upper dome down considerably lower.

There is a company doing TV ads for a service: You send them a digital photo and they print it on glass for you.

The company is called Fracture. Just the sort of word I don't want associated with glass. Or with my body, now that I think of it.

To get to a bird feeder? I should look for that.
    It started that way, yes, and then just became about foiling the squirrels. It's really funny.

"You can't erase icing."

There apparently is a coin shortage in the US.
    I would have thought the opposite, as I haven’t handled any coins (or bills for that matter) since March.

I’ve used me credit card for everything, taking advantage of customer operated terminals to avoid touching stuff other people touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa