Page 147 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,410 of 4499

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

In these days I really don't get winter. I miss summer

Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    ...Piles of plowed snow were collected in huge burial mounds at the sides of empty parking lots, where they remained standing until well into spring.
    We always had some yahoos try to park their Jeeps on those.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Tomorrow is listed on the calendar as "midwinter break or snow make-up day." Except it can't be a snow make-up day, because the day we missed because of snow was Friday, and that's not enough time to arrange for everyone to have class tomorrow. Okay, we're nearing spring--but not that near. This is Simon's fifth year of school in his life; this is the third year he's had snow days in February.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Another truck drove into our trestle the other day. This one has a listed height of seven inches taller than the clearance on all the signs with the flashing lights and so forth. Someone who saw it happen said the guy sped up, apparently in hopes of using a slipstream to get through, which would only have a chance if he'd had a shorter vehicle. Why would you risk that in a rental truck? Insurance apparently does not cover this damage as, you know, it's from being just willfully stupid.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

There's a whole YouTube channel of trucks and RV's hitting a particular bridge somewhere. Even after they raised it some. Eleven-foot-eight or some such.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

From the collection at 11'8"(+8) it is clear that rental trucks are significantly overrepresented among low-clearance collisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There's a whole YouTube channel of trucks and RV's hitting a particular bridge somewhere. Even after they raised it some. Eleven-foot-eight or some such.
    I think this is one of the more popular channels. Some of those trucks get opened up like a can of sardines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Another truck drove into our trestle the other day. This one has a listed height of seven inches taller than the clearance on all the signs with the flashing lights and so forth. Someone who saw it happen said the guy sped up, apparently in hopes of using a slipstream to get through, which would only have a chance if he'd had a shorter vehicle.
    Yes, relativistic length contraction doesn't work at right angles to the velocity vector.
    (I don't know what "slipstream" means in this context, but it seems like not a thing that would work, under any circumstances, with a vehicle of normal construction.)

ETA: I guess if you were carrying some sort of tall inflatable structure that blew closer to the horizontal with increased speed, that might work. Seems a bit niche.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Feb-26 at 02:48 PM.

Apparently he was hoping that the clearance was a lie, I guess, and that while a vehicle as tall as his might get stuck, going fast enough would keep that from happening as the force of air around him would squeeze the truck through. This is an absolutely ludicrous belief. Even if he hadn't been wrong about how far above the clearance he was. My partner pointed out that, if his listed clearance had been perhaps an inch or so, it's theoretically possible albeit unlikely that the weight of his load could have pushed the truck down enough on the springs, but only theoretically, and if it would push you down seven inches, either your truck is broken or you've overloaded it.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Someone who saw it happen said the guy sped up, apparently in hopes of using a slipstream to get through, which would only have a chance if he'd had a shorter vehicle.
    I’m going to have to add the bit about a slipstream working in a shorter vehicle to the category of “stuff you just don’t get”.

If “shorter” means “less long”, I don’t see how that would help.

If “shorter” means “less high”, then a sufficiently reduced height ought to work with or without a slipstream.

What am I missing here?
    Last edited by 21st Century Schizoid Man; 2021-Feb-26 at 03:45 PM.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Oh, c'mon! You've all seen the cartoons where the car/truck/whatever gets going so fast it bends back and squishes down some. You just don't understand Looney Tunes Physics.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oh, c'mon! You've all seen the cartoons where the car/truck/whatever gets going so fast it bends back and squishes down some. You just don't understand Looney Tunes Physics.
    Cartoon Laws of Physics
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The so-called slipstream didn't work any better up here and resulted in the great bridge-pocalypse of 2018...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GHpOKS0.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	25922
    Credit: Imgur user, KissofPoseidon

Southbound Glenn Highway shut down at South Eagle River by trailer that hit overpass, Anchorage Daily News

And of course, one could get souvenir t-shirts on Facebook and Amazon.

The Glenn Highway is the sole northbound route out of Anchorage, leading to places like Eagle River, Chugiak/Peters Creek, Wasilla, etc. They practically had to replace the entire overpass, so yeah, traffic was jacked up for weeks.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Our local grocery store sells store-branded “Rippled Potato Chips” as well as “Wavy Potato Chips”. Upon close inspection, the only difference is the wavelength of the ridges.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Our local grocery store sells store-branded “Rippled Potato Chips” as well as “Wavy Potato Chips”. Upon close inspection, the only difference is the wavelength of the ridges.

That would be funny if they marketed them that way.

Now with a 4.7 mm wavelength!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Yup. Lays has "Ruffles" and "Wavy Lays" with the same difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    If “shorter” means “less high”, then a sufficiently reduced height ought to work with or without a slipstream.
    The understanding I have--and bear in mind I didn't actually talk to the guy myself, though Graham thinks he's moving into a house a couple of blocks from us--is that he thought the top of the truck would brush against the underside of the trestle, and going faster would help him slide through when going slower would mean he'd drag against it. I fully agree that this is ludicrous--again, not least because the top of his truck wouldn't brush against the underside but slam into the bridge. I'm just given to understand that this is what he thought.

"You can't erase icing."

Mention of popcorn on another thread reminds me that I don't get popcorn. It's just a tasteless vehicle for butter and salt, with the mouthfeel of expanded polystyrene. And the customary portions are outlandishly huge--the mere sight of one of those ludicrous buckets gives me reactive anorexia.
    Back in the day, I went to see The Changeling in Thunder Bay with a couple of Canadian women, who ordered up a bucket of popcorn the size of Switzerland, despite my protestations that I wasn't going to eat any. My main memory of that movie is of a damp ball bouncing down a flight of stairs, and the sound of continuous shovelling and crunching of popcorn.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Mention of popcorn on another thread reminds me that I don't get popcorn. It's just a tasteless vehicle for butter and salt, with the mouthfeel of expanded polystyrene. And the customary portions are outlandishly huge--the mere sight of one of those ludicrous buckets gives me reactive anorexia.
    Back in the day, I went to see The Changeling in Thunder Bay with a couple of Canadian women, who ordered up a bucket of popcorn the size of Switzerland, despite my protestations that I wasn't going to eat any. My main memory of that movie is of a damp ball bouncing down a flight of stairs, and the sound of continuous shovelling and crunching of popcorn.

Grant Hutchison
    In defense of popcorn it is 3/4 carbs so off my diet now but otherwise it has a good score on fibre , protein and a few minerals. Butter is OK but the sugar content must be avoided. It is after all, exploded seeds. If you could add Marmite you could probably live on it.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Popcorn is much better when freshly made. Our local hardware store has free popcorn, popped up fresh. Or did, Covid having put a stop to it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    In defense of popcorn it is 3/4 carbs so off my diet now but otherwise it has a good score on fibre , protein and a few minerals. Butter is OK but the sugar content must be avoided. It is after all, exploded seeds. If you could add Marmite you could probably live on it.
    Yes, I've no argument with the nutritional content of popcorn itself--it's basically a whole-grain foodstuff, albeit a singularly tasteless one. Which is why, I presume, people bathe it in fat, salt and sugar.
    There used to be an advertisement that ran in my local cinema, telling the cinema audience how good it was to be a member of a cinema audience. It featured a lot of footage of people staring entranced into a cinema screen, brightly reflected in their corneas, while shovelling handfuls of popcorn into their mouths. As a depiction of mindless consumption it took a lot of beating, and I always wondered why anyone thought it was good messaging.

Grant Hutchison

I just had Marmite on Whole Wheat toast for breakfast. I mite actually prefer the flavor to Vegemite but can't stand the texture so I'm trying to empty the jar before I open a new one of Vegemite.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just had Marmite on Whole Wheat toast for breakfast. I mite actually prefer the flavor to Vegemite but can't stand the texture so I'm trying to empty the jar before I open a new one of Vegemite.
    Sorry to hear that , after a lifetime, I am hooked on Marmite and now that bread is limited I actually use it as intended, in stews. Have you come across Bovril? Similar texture but beef based, invented, IIRC, by France for soldiers. Uses whole cows like Desperate Dan, But maybe that is a reference past its sell by date too, from Beano comic.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

I can't ever encounter Bovril without my imagination dancing with visions of subterranean esoteric proto-Nazis, which makes it a slightly surreal experience.
    My enjoyment of Bovril is extremely context-specific--a stock cube dissolved in boiled river water, sipped outside the tent from a tin mug at sunset. Only time I ever consume it--and then I can crawl into the tent and dream about secret underground societies.

Grant Hutchison

Sorry to hear that , after a lifetime, I am hooked on Marmite and now that bread is limited I actually use it as intended, in stews. Have you come across Bovril?
    I looked up Bovril at one point, and it is virtually impossible to find in the US. I’ve seen claims it was banned due to mad cow disease, and other claims that it wasn’t actually banned, but import attempts were denied because of insufficient and unacceptable labeling. In any case, it doesn’t sound like there is much interest and I’ve only heard of it in discussions like this one. Apparently you can find it on Ebay if you really want to, and I’ve seen something with a similar name on Amazon, but reviews said it was a poor imitation.

I’ve wondered if it is very different from beef flavor Better than Bouillon, which I usually keep handy for adding to soups, or regular beef bouillon cubes. Maybe it isn’t considered worth trying to bring it over because there are other things that fill a similar niche?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I looked it up on Ebay. It is called a beef extract yeast paste? Except for Canadian Knorr Bovril Beef Bouillon Beef Gravy. Anyway, the short bottle 250g British version is typically $25 dollars each and the Canadian 500g bottles are $16 each. Seems a bit expensive, especially the British version. Oh, except for Bovril beef stock cubes, which are much less expensive and it says they ship from the US, which surprises me, but it sounds like those are typical beef bouillon cubes, and perhaps different from the other items?
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Mar-21 at 08:29 PM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I looked it up on Ebay. It is called a beef extract yeast paste? Except for Canadian Knorr Bovril Beef Bouillon Beef Gravy. Anyway, the short bottle 250g British version is typically $25 dollars each and the Canadian 500g bottles are $16 each. Seems a bit expensive, especially the British version. Oh, except for Bovril beef stock cubes, which are much less expensive and it says they ship from the US, which surprises me, but it sounds like those are typical beef bouillon cubes, and perhaps different from the other items?
    Bovril is still on the shelves in the UK, the brits took to it more than the French it seems, but it is expensive now and I guess a nostalgia product. Like Marmite it mostly was used, is used, as a spread on toast, beef tea less common now, but it used to be quite popular. Beef stock cubes and those gel types have taken over for cooking, and historically, for getting the most out of cows, I guess tinned corned beef became more popular. Tangential factoid, the original Rawlplug screw fixings were fibres soaked in Belgian bull’s blood , and some would say still superior to plastic plugs!
    sicut vis videre esto

I can't ever encounter Bovril without my imagination dancing with visions of subterranean esoteric proto-Nazis, which makes it a slightly surreal experience.
    My enjoyment of Bovril is extremely context-specific--a stock cube dissolved in boiled river water, sipped outside the tent from a tin mug at sunset. Only time I ever consume it--and then I can crawl into the tent and dream about secret underground societies.

Grant Hutchison
    Apologies to Scotsmen, Bovril was for the French army but invented by a Scotsman, I found this:

. Bovril was invented by a Scotsman, John Lawson Johnston, after he won a contract to supply one million cans of beef to the French army in the 1870s. The problem was, Britain didn't have enough meat so Johnston developed the product from beef extract (then known as Johnston's Fluid Beef).
    sicut vis videre esto

Mention of popcorn on another thread reminds me that I don't get popcorn. It's just a tasteless vehicle for butter and salt, with the mouthfeel of expanded polystyrene.
    That’s one way to put it I guess. I guess it’s a thing that some people end up liking but others don’t. I happen to like it but I would never insist it’s something you should like. And it’s true I wouldn’t want to eat it without flavoring, but that’s true for potatoes and pasta and rice as well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    That’s one way to put it I guess. I guess it’s a thing that some people end up liking but others don’t. I happen to like it but I would never insist it’s something you should like.
    And I would never insist it's something you should dislike. Isn't that the point of the "just don't get" thread? Otherwise it would be the "stuff no-one in their right minds could possibly enjoy" thread.

Grant Hutchison