Thread: I missed my PC

I missed my PC

I do like my iPhone and my tablet e-reader but for getting any serious online work done, I've missed my PC for the past day and a half. It shut down normally the other night but the next morning, nada. No signs of life at all. Fried power supply I thinks to myself. I guess that's not too bad, considering I built the machine 5 years ago...even though that's less than half of the spec'ed MTBF. So, I took off early to make a trip to the big box store that I don't really like doing business with, gave them $140 for a new one, and installed it this evening. I even took the opportunity to upgrade to an 850W modular model (from 750W) so I can migrate it to a new machine to be built at some point in the near future.

Then there was the impulse purchase: a new wireless keyboard/mouse combo. The previous setup was almost as old as the PC and was really showing its age. The mouse was 'creaky' and not as lively as it once was. The new one offered the benefit of getting the old clunky wireless receiver off the desk. The new USB receiver is about the size of my thumbnail.

Now I can get back to work in SketchUp, planning a new woodworking bench.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Having had computers crap out more than once, and having to wait a while to get them replaced, I feel your pain.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

850W? Are you running SLI or Crossfire? Lotta juice.

I'm not running SLI...yet. I want the option, though. I also tend to over do capacity on principle. I'd rather draw power in the supply's midrange than near the max.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

IIRC, you need to only get up to about 10-20% rated W to reach stated efficiencies, so that should be OK. But with the new juice-sipping CPUs and mostly empty PCI/Pcie slots due to mobo integrations, you almost need SLI/CF to create any sort of real demand.

When you start rocking Skyrim on SLI, post a screenie!

I thought Mr Creek was going to attach his sausage making gear to the computer.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm View Post
    Now that I gotta see!

If you missed your PC, then work on your aim.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm View Post
    Attach, no...but I do have Excel spreadsheets set up for scaling recipes so I can just weigh my meat after trimming and not have to worry about having exactly the 5 or 10 pounds called for...or try converting 25, 50, or 100-pound recipes in my head. It also converts imperial units to metric, which gives me almost 3x greater precision since my scale only measures to tenths of an ounce.

I just switched to a Chromebook with Crouton. I'm amazed how well it works. I can't connect my iPhone (yet), but I don't have too many issues.
    Solfe

(
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ... Then there was the impulse purchase: a new wireless keyboard/mouse combo. ...

Last time I had a wireless desktop, I had this weird thing where when I was was finished with the mouse (and went to move to type something) I'd fling the mouse off to the side, and it would fall to the floor.

The odd thing is that I don't do that with a wired mouse. They never end up dangling from their cord; I just don't fling them.

And I got sick of batteries. All wired now.

My main device is still a desktop/tower orientation PC. Can't go past the real keyboard and many big pixels. (And thus my distaste for Windows 8.x))
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Last time I had a wireless desktop, I had this weird thing where when I was was finished with the mouse (and went to move to type something) I'd fling the mouse off to the side, and it would fall to the floor.

The odd thing is that I don't do that with a wired mouse. They never end up dangling from their cord; I just don't fling them.

And I got sick of batteries. All wired now.

My main device is still a desktop/tower orientation PC. Can't go past the real keyboard and many big pixels. (And thus my distaste for Windows 8.x))
    Couldn't take the latency issues with wireless; I gave the wireless stuff to the missus, and was even thanked I am loathing the idea of leaving "big iron," but next iteration it's mini-ITX for me. I sure miss my old duallie, a classic Abit VP6, though. Tweaked, it was wonderful.

Just last night I ordered the beginnings of my next main machine, though I'll have to wait a bit to get the parts (CPU [E5-1650v2] is on back order).

I'll be transferring the graphics card (GTX680) and power supply (750W) to the new machine and putting back the old ones to the current one which will then take the role of general file server.
    Using retired odds and ends from work I may end up having my home network upgraded to 20Gb/s throughout for about $500 as well.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain