Thread: Pineapple upside down cake

Cool Pineapple upside down cake

With bacon bits in the brown sugar-pineapple-cherry topping.

Sound good?

I'm considering it.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Go for it! Another fave! But it's getting to be dangerous to come on the board, now. I see all these delicious threads and have to go snack before I can post.

I love pineaple upside down cake, it is one of my favorites.

The bacon bits sound like a horrible idea, but I'm not going to be eatting it, so have fun.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    I dunno...if done right they might add an interesting dimension; though I must ask if Buttercup intends to add "Bakos" - the soy pseudo-bacon salad seasoning - or genuine chopped bacon? It could well prove the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I love pineaple upside down cake, it is one of my favorites.

The bacon bits sound like a horrible idea, but I'm not going to be eatting it, so have fun.
    I, too, love pineapple upside-down cake, but the addition of bacon does not seem to be improvement. This may be because I do not particularly like bacon, and do not like the salty/sweet combination. Can we put bacon back on breakfast plates and into BLTs where it belongs and take it out of ice cream, milkshakes, pastries, confections, mixed drinks, and beer?
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I, too, love pineapple upside-down cake, but the addition of bacon does not seem to be improvement. This may be because I do not particularly like bacon, and do not like the salty/sweet combination. Can we put bacon back on breakfast plates and into BLTs where it belongs and take it out of ice cream, milkshakes, pastries, confections, mixed drinks, and beer?
    Hear, hear. Contrary to internet memes, bacon does not make everything better.

OTOH there are actually people who like pizza with bacon and pineapple, so it's not without precedent. I still have my doubts though.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    OTOH there are actually people who like pizza with bacon and pineapple, so it's not without precedent. I still have my doubts though.
    Usually that's "Canadian" (back) bacon, which is more like ham. Pineapple is often stuck on the outside of baked hams, as well.
    It sounds like an interesting experiment regardless. Go for it, Buttercup!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    I dunno...if done right they might add an interesting dimension; though I must ask if Buttercup intends to add "Bakos" - the soy pseudo-bacon salad seasoning - or genuine chopped bacon? It could well prove the difference.
    Bac~Os? I never knew ... not that I ate them anyway

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Bac~Os? I never knew ... not that I ate them anyway
    You're lucky - though the dog seemed to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    You're lucky - though the dog seemed to like them.
    Dogs like pretty much anything.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

As a youth I had a cat named Omar that loved to eat the topping off of PUC.

I found out much later that this wasn't the fluke it sounds like and I've always wondered what element of the topping attracted some cats so strongly. (It was actually known back in the 70's that cats couldn't taste sweet. It was the significance that needed teasing out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Usually that's "Canadian" (back) bacon, which is more like ham. Pineapple is often stuck on the outside of baked hams, as well.
    It sounds like an interesting experiment regardless. Go for it, Buttercup!

I'm not a huge bacon fanatic, in fact can't eat much of it, but the thought occurred to me; I love sweet and salty (and formerly a big hamsteak with pineapple and cherry!). And maybe I'm just crazy.

NorthernDevo, yes I've been thinking of going with a sprinkling of Betty Crocker Bac-Os.

Quite a mixed reaction in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    :NorthernDevo, yes I've been thinking of going with a sprinkling of Betty Crocker Bac-Os.
    Please, please tell me that you will never try to make salt-flavored-soy replace the real thing! If you're going to do it, then really do it. Fry up some real bacon and crumble it on.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Please, please tell me that you will never try to make salt-flavored-soy replace the real thing! If you're going to do it, then really do it. Fry up some real bacon and crumble it on.
    I might.

But I'd be wanting small crumbles. Just an added touch of flavor, definitely not strong.

Fry it dryer and start with leaner bacon.

(I may have said that backwards.)

Wait, use the oven and those small shiny racks on a cookie sheet.