Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Time To Move?

Is It Time To Move?

When somebody empties a large caliber handgun into your next door neighbor's house three times in the space of a month? (This was last month.)

I'm on a lot of meds nowadays and I'm a lot more mellow than I should be.

The main (non-professional) criminal gang in the area have all been arrested last year and I thought we would get a breather. The leaders all plea bargained for life with no parole to avoid the death penalty. Which kind of cheesed me off as one guy shot nine people in my neighborhood over the span of two years and killed three of them. All of them because just because he wanted to, no big underworld enterprise. With huge amounts of physical evidence there was no need for a plea deal!

And that was just the murder!

And people wonder why I have hyper-vigilance issues!

I think moving would be a very sound policy under those circumstances. Heck, even if it was a small caliber handgun I'd say the same thing.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Even a BB gun... git!

Come and live in the UK, Don!
    Several neighbours own shotguns, I own an air rifle (I know, Brit wimp!) and no one, but no one, goes around shooting them off nearby.
    (Except me, to keep down the pigeons in garden)
    You could be as mellow as you like.
    John

I'd say that you've got motive for a move.

Yes.

Move to Belgium. I have an A-bomb in my garage, remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Yes.
    ditto

Yes! Move! Worrying about being shot by accident can't be doing your health any good.

I've heard very nice things about Vancouver.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Yes! Move! Worrying about being shot by accident can't be doing your health any good.

I've heard very nice things about Vancouver.
    Washington or British Columbia?

My cousin in Washington has witnessed several drive-bys and I don't speak Canadian. (Eh?)

I'd be looking for a new neighbourhood.

(Hey Don, that reply is written in Canadian. Can't be too hard, huh?)

Stay away from the hockey riots when in Vancouver, BC. More seriously, gangland crimes can be just as ugly here. But less common, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post

My cousin in Washington has witnessed several drive-bys and I don't speak Canadian. (Eh?)
    BC.

I think you could learn Canadian pretty quickly; it's not too different than Californian.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Come to Buffalo for the wings, stay for the snow.
    Solfe

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Move. I empty large caliber handguns into the backstop of my range, but living in the sticks has a few advantages...

You can move to New England; it's beautiful, especially in the Fall. There's nothing like those leaves turning. And it has historical sites galore, museums, ocean access and lots of good seafood.

Or you can come out here to the Midwest, which has lots of... flat. If you like flat. And corn, they grow corn here. Yes sir, plenty of nice, flat cornfields.

And soybeans. Corn and soy. In fields.

Boy, do I know how to sell real estate, or what?

"I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

BC.

I think you could learn Canadian pretty quickly; it's not too different than Californian.
    It sounds like they do have a handle on violent crime in Vancouver.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mur...456/story.html

In Vancouver, where just six people were murdered in 2013, police are crediting specialized crime prevention programs for the record-low murder rate.

“The theory behind it is when you reduce violent crime, you are going to reduce homicides,” said Vancouver Police Const. Brian Montague. “We’ve been fortunate that violent crime seems to be — over the last five years — slowly and steadily declining.”
    I wonder how the climate compares, Vancouver can be pretty dreary in the fall and winter.

I hope you find a safer place in the area Don, it's stressful to live in a high crime area.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

maybe it's time for the neighbors that live in the house that keeps getting shot at are the ones that should be moving?

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    maybe it's time for the neighbors that live in the house that keeps getting shot at are the ones that should be moving?
    The trouble is that the people who keep shooting at the neighbors are probably going to start shooting at the new neighbors. This may help the old neighbors (although they may have the same sort of problems in their new neighborhood) but does not help Don.

It's probably a good idea for him to be within commuting distance of his doctors, so this probably leaves BC out, unless he can convince his docs to move, too

Don't come to my neighborhood. While there aren't any shootings, the gangs here are into hand -to- hand combat. One was beaten to death with a ball bat. Odd thing is, they don't seem to go after astronomers around here. Gang members will even take a break from knocking one another around and come over to my telescope to look at my video screen. They even thank me for sharing.

One night the noise got so bad that one woman down the block picked up her own ball bat. She stopped by my place on her way to look at my video screen and said," Why that is beautiful! Just what is it?" ....

"M57" ma'am".

"Thank you for telling me."

She then continued on her way, bat in hand and yelling,"You bangers better knock it off or I'll make each one of you look like M57!"

The police were right there and settled her down, keeping her out of trouble.

Yet, all that is mild and has really settled down since we are isolated enough in our mobile home park for the cops to go undercover and throw a number of them out of our park. But bullets right next door and three times in the last month? One missed shot could hit you Don. Time to boogey.

The trouble is that the people who keep shooting at the neighbors are probably going to start shooting at the new neighbors. This may help the old neighbors (although they may have the same sort of problems in their new neighborhood) but does not help Don.

It's probably a good idea for him to be within commuting distance of his doctors, so this probably leaves BC out, unless he can convince his docs to move, too
    maybe the new neighbors will be in the same gang as the people doing the shooting- or even the people doing the shooting- so the shooting will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post

What is a drive by ?

Quote Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
    What is a drive by ?
    People driving by in cars to shoot people.

Tell that is not really happening.

Tell that is not really happening.
    That really happens.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    That really happens.

Canadians shooting americans in broad day lite ?

Canadians shooting americans in broad day lite ?
    Any person regardless of where they come from, not Canadians shooting Americans! Drive by shootings is not a fictional thing from films and the CSI television series. It has happened over here in the UK quite a few times too, not on a regular basis, I may add.
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
    Any person regardless of where they come from, not Canadians shooting Americans! Drive by shootings is not a fictional thing from films and the CSI television series. It has happened over here in the UK quite a few times too, not on a regular basis, I may add.
    They do exist, but they don't happen much in Canada. Most we really get are drive-by shoutings. [doppler]"AH-HAHA! White shoes after labor day!"[/doppler]

/ (Joke quoted from, I think, John Rogers.)

I always thought a drive-by in Canada involved a moose (the animal, not the CQ member).

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I always thought a drive-by in Canada involved a moose (the animal, not the CQ member).
    In Alaksa, too. I was on my way to work just a couple of days ago, when I stopped at a traffic light. A cow and calf crossed right in front of me...but responsibly. They had the pedestrian signal and used the crosswalk...unlike those scofflaw, jaywalking moose who cause so many problems.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    You can move to New England; it's beautiful, especially in the Fall. There's nothing like those leaves turning. And it has historical sites galore, museums, ocean access and lots of good seafood.

Or you can come out here to the Midwest, which has lots of... flat. If you like flat. And corn, they grow corn here. Yes sir, plenty of nice, flat cornfields.

And soybeans. Corn and soy. In fields.

Boy, do I know how to sell real estate, or what?

Of course, New England will keep you guessing about the weather: will it snow today? will yesterday's snow evaporate in today's 60+F temperatures? Will all winter's snow fall on Tuesday? Will I run into somebody from Finland who will make fun of me complaining about the snow?

A few (well, about thirty) years ago, I drove from Chicago to Oshkosh, Wisconsin (and you know what happens there at the end of July through the beginning of August...) and there were acres of sunflowers on either side of the highway.