View Poll Results: Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 50.00%
  • No

2 25.00%
  • I can read my cat's mind, does that count?

1 12.50%
  • Every time I have a few beers

1 12.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    There was a bit on a show I saw when I was younger where a man made a bet he could put the dice under a cup in his right hand without touching the cup. He does some chanting stuff, and the other person lifts the cup, sees that the dice are still there, tells him he failed, and hands him the dice... Whereupon he is told he just lost the bet-- the man did manage to get the dice into his hand without touching the cup.
    It's the first half of a variant of an old scam. Harry Anderson's hustler character fooled Cliff Claven with it twice on an early season episode of Cheers.

I know I have been to the dark side. And no force skills there either.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I use the Tickle Force. I can make my 4-year-old squirm and laugh just by wiggling my fingers at him and not touching him.
    It's a real thing too, according to the book Darth Vader and Son.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dv.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	18987

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    I use the Tickle Force. I can make my 4-year-old squirm and laugh just by wiggling my fingers at him and not touching him.
    It's a real thing too, according to the book Darth Vader and Son.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dv.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	18987
    Actually, it works for adults too. My wife is very ticklish, and I've gotten her to react just by wiggling fingers at her.

One of our cats knows that if I'm sitting, hang my hand down by my side, and wiggle my fingers, that she should come over to get her head scratched. I'm not sure which one of us is using The Force on the other.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    I think we can fix that.

How about:

Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?
    O - All the time. Doesn't everyone?
    O - Yes, when no one is looking
    O - Yes, to impress the opposite sex
    O - Yes, but I do weird stuff all the time.
    O - No, what are you, weird?
    I just tried clicking on one of those radio buttons, and it didn't work.

Should I try the ones at the top of the thread when they appear?

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    I think we can fix that.

How about:

Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?
    O - All the time. Doesn't everyone?
    O - Yes, when no one is looking
    O - Yes, to impress the opposite sex
    O - Yes, but I do weird stuff all the time.
    O - No, what are you, weird?
    Those work.

The one I tried creating was:

O - Yes
    O - No
    O - I can read my cat's mind, does that count?
    O- Every time I have a few beers

thanks
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Whenerver I'm in a hurry to drive somewhere and the light is green I think really hard at the light, "Staygreenstaygreenstaygreen". When it's red I think "turngreenturngreenturngreen".
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

<whimsical mood>

I am shocked, *shocked* I say at some of the misconceptions here (says he, who is still not a multi-millionaire despite using the Force on those bouncing balls during lotto drawings. Which is obviously because they are strong in the dark side and not due to my failings as a Jedi!)

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Same here. I tired and tried, never succeeded. Maybe if I had a full-sized X-Wing to levitate...
    Tsk! Do or do not, there is no try!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    One of our cats knows that if I'm sitting, hang my hand down by my side, and wiggle my fingers, that she should come over to get her head scratched. I'm not sure which one of us is using The Force on the other.
    Of course, that's NOT the Force! Everybody know that Force Persuade only works on simple, unsophisticated minds (Refs: Ob-wan, ep4; Jabba, ep6). How could it therefore possibly work on our natural overlords of the feline persuasion? Oh wait... her using the Force on you? Uhm..........

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher
    I just tried clicking on one of those radio buttons, and it didn't work.
    Did you use a mouse or the Force?

</whimsical mood>

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    The one I tried creating was:

O - Yes
    O - No
    O - I can read my cat's mind, does that count?
    O- Every time I have a few beers
    OK, then, done.
    thanks
    De nada

I'm a civil engineer, so of course the Force is with me. Actually, "the Forces are" with me, but that's just a semantic fine point.

1. The Force is with me when I size thrust blocks for water mains: water pressure + pipe internal diameter + deflection angle of fitting + safety factor --> design force; design force + allowable soil bearing pressure --> required minimum bearing area of thrust block. Restrained joint requirements are similar.

2. The Force is with me when I design small structures (I don't do really big ones), such as retaining walls: geometry of retaining wall stem and footing + soil and other loads + safety factors --> various design forces on the structure --> bending moments + shears + deflections + rotation angles --> required minimum structural dimensions and reinforcing steel.

Unfortunately, the State of California did NOT award me a light saber when I earned my professional license.

I've seen people use The Force to affect football games. Even while watching it on TV. Even if watching a recording of an earlier game, so The Force can obviously time travel. It doesn't always work though.

Quote Originally Posted by skysurfer5cva View Post
    Unfortunately, the State of California did NOT award me a light saber when I earned my professional license.
    I bought one of these from Thinkgeek, they are awesome: www.thinkgeek.com/product/b72c/ (I think this sort of link is allowed?)

I happened to see the people auras in the past. I did not try to do it ,the thing happened ,nothing really voluntary at first and my control on it was very dificult .it happened In two times separated by several years. Nothing fancy , like things you can see on on internet. No , a quite discret phenomena , which I learnt is called vision of the etherical body. Whatever it is it never occured again. Having some free time now , and remembering my experience , I decided last year to try reproducing it. But after several hours of boring efforts I could not conclude positively.

So I think it is the end of my paranormal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I've seen people use The Force to affect football games. Even while watching it on TV. Even if watching a recording of an earlier game, so The Force can obviously time travel. It doesn't always work though.
    Did you ever watch average people bowl? I think the same can be said with lots of sports to some degree where you have time to watch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Marakai View Post
    I bought one of these from Thinkgeek, they are awesome: www.thinkgeek.com/product/b72c/ (I think this sort of link is allowed?)
    No, they are not allowed. We prefere links that work, like this: www.thinkgeek.com/product/b72c/

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Did you ever watch average people bowl? I think the same can be said with lots of sports to some degree where you have time to watch the ball.
    You're right. I used to work at a bowling alley in the afternoon when the little old ladies bowled.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I had a playmate (adult style) for a while where I could force a satisfactory outcome by will just by looking her in the eyes, no touching, no foreplay. I can produce witnesses if necessary.
    She wouldn't eat with me in a restaurant until I promised not to do it there.

Not the force, though I'm fairly certain it would have worked even better with the hand gesture.
    Henrik as a super-hero.

"Orgasmo slipped silently into the gloomy Kavern of Khaos, lifted his visor and spotted Misstress Mahem nearby bent over the Devastron busy with the controls of the diabolical device of doom. She raised her gaze slowly and their eyes locked, Orgasmo's left eyebrow arched ever so slightly, then...."
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    No, they are not allowed. We prefere links that work, like this: www.thinkgeek.com/product/b72c/
    What am I missing? Your link looked just like mine when mousing-over in FF26. I used the weblink button.

Quote Originally Posted by Marakai View Post
    What am I missing? Your link looked just like mine when mousing-over in FF26. I used the weblink button.
    What you're missing is that modern browsers lie, and unfortunately, that means that most people have no idea about what's going on.
    "www.thinkgeek.com/product/b72c/" is not a URL, "http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b72c/" is.

If you use the former, the client thinks you're referring to a file relative to the base address which is "http://cosmoquest.org/forum/", so it's parsed as meaning "http://cosmoquest.org/forum/www.thinkgeek.com/product/b72c/" which won't work.

I'm not really surprised that FF will then present both as the same, it's apparently really popular for browsers to remove the http://" part of the address.
    Last edited by HenrikOlsen; 2014-Jan-10 at 02:35 PM.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I'm not really surprised that FF will then present both as the same, it's apparently really popular for browsers to remove the http://" part of the address.
    I am really surprised, and even dubious. My mouseover shows a distinct difference between the two, and when I look at the underlying code (in moderator edit mode), the code has the difference. I don't see how the difference could be avoided by a browser--it's more than just "http://"

ETA: the text in the posts are the same, but that is not what is reported in the mouse-over

21. 2014-Jan-10, 03:13 PM
    Reason
    test failed