View Poll Results: Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 50.00%
  • No

    2 25.00%
  • I can read my cat's mind, does that count?

    1 12.50%
  • Every time I have a few beers

    1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50

Thread: Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,563

    Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?

    Maybe you've been sitting on the couch and felt too lazy to get up for the remote and tried to suck it into your hand using the force or perhaps been pulled over by a cop and while waving your hand said in a calm yet commanding tone, "That wasn't my car that just ran the red." It could be that whenever driving by open manhole covers you can't resist seeing if you can get a bulleye with whatever loose items are lying around in your vehicle and, "blow up the Deathstar."

    Either in jest or seriousness have you ever checked to see if you might be able to do "special" things with your mind?
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,563
    This was supposed to be a poll, but I appear to have mucked it up.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,229
    I've certainly done it in jest, like imagining that I can explode distant buildings (whether or not that is an attribute that is supposed to be made possible by The Force). Fortunately, it has never actually happened, and my belief that it couldn't happen must be pretty deep, or else I wouldn't do it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    WA state, USA - Seattle area
    Posts
    2,900
    I have. It wasn't.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,114
    I used to, but concluded the only force at work was wishful thinking.

    I can, however, alleviate my wife's abdominal pain with my hands and no touching. This has everything to do with my wife's credulity and love (and, no, the second isn't only a result of the first, gosh, what cynics!), and very little to do with my real powers. I save those for losing arguments on CQ, but imagining I don't, mwah ha ha!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    I used to, but concluded the only force at work was wishful thinking.

    I can, however, alleviate my wife's abdominal pain with my hands and no touching. This has everything to do with my wife's credulity and love (and, no, the second isn't only a result of the first, gosh, what cynics!), and very little to do with my real powers. I save those for losing arguments on CQ, but imagining I don't, mwah ha ha!
    "Your's is an evil laugh"...paraphrased from Firefly
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,786
    Well, not since I was 10 years old...anything "force-like" since then I've chalked up to coincidence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,953
    Oh yes, I spent a lot of time seeing if I had various magic powers when I was younger. I think every kid does, especially those who read a lot of fantasy books. Sadly, no telekinesis, no telepathy, no instinctive way with animals, no controlling the wind...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,839
    My friends had invisible friends until I force choked them all. Er, the invisible friends, not my real friends.
    Solfe

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,923
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Oh yes, I spent a lot of time seeing if I had various magic powers when I was younger. I think every kid does, especially those who read a lot of fantasy books. Sadly, no telekinesis, no telepathy, no instinctive way with animals, no controlling the wind...
    Same here. I tired and tried, never succeeded. Maybe if I had a full-sized X-Wing to levitate...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,595
    "You don't need to see my identification."
    He needed to see my identification...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,644
    I swore I had the force when I was a kid. If the inner door to our mudroom wasn't fully closed, I would open the outer door and as I stepped in and reached for the inner door knob, the door would swing towards my hand. You could imagine my disappointment when I learned about cross breezes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,595
    Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Maybe you've been sitting on the couch and felt too lazy to get up for the remote and tried to suck it into your hand using the force
    Actually, yes, I still do this once in a while. Partially laziness, partially 'just checking'.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Just ask my husband.

    Go on.

    I dare you.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    I can, however, alleviate my wife's abdominal pain with my hands and no touching. This has everything to do with my wife's credulity and love (and, no, the second isn't only a result of the first, gosh, what cynics!), and very little to do with my real powers.
    I had a playmate (adult style) for a while where I could force a satisfactory outcome by will just by looking her in the eyes, no touching, no foreplay. I can produce witnesses if necessary.
    She wouldn't eat with me in a restaurant until I promised not to do it there.

    Not the force, though I'm fairly certain it would have worked even better with the hand gesture.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I had a playmate (adult style) for a while where I could force a satisfactory outcome by will just by looking her in the eyes, no touching, no foreplay. I can produce witnesses if necessary.
    She wouldn't eat with me in a restaurant until I promised not to do it there.

    Not the force, though I'm fairly certain it would have worked even better with the hand gesture.
    If you are indeed saying what I think you are saying, I would very much like the email and/or phone number of this remarkable woman!

    For the sake of my male ego I am assuming that this exciting feat was mostly due to traits on her side rather than on yours....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,442
    I think it was the specific combination of two people that fit perfectly.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,839
    Just for the record, I have never worn a giant belt buckle, tried to jaunt or invoked "Tim" to help.
    Solfe

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    9,038
    This thread reminds me of the scene in an episode of "Friends" where Phoebe is staring intently at the table. Rachel asks what she's doing, and Phoebe says, "I'm trying to move that pencil using only the power of my mind."

    Rachel says, "You mean this one?" and picks the pencil up off the table.

    Phoebe grins excitedly and says, "It worked!"

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    478
    I play disc golf..one day I threw the disc 189 meters..in a wind. It was number 7 driver Star Eagle. Next best threw was 130 meters ! I really had the feeling the force was with me.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,229
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    This thread reminds me of the scene in an episode of "Friends" where Phoebe is staring intently at the table. Rachel asks what she's doing, and Phoebe says, "I'm trying to move that pencil using only the power of my mind."

    Rachel says, "You mean this one?" and picks the pencil up off the table.

    Phoebe grins excitedly and says, "It worked!"
    That's funny, but I like it better if she is chanting something, and says that she is trying to move it with the power of her voice. Then it's more clear that it really did work!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,946
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    That's funny, but I like it better if she is chanting something, and says that she is trying to move it with the power of her voice. Then it's more clear that it really did work!
    I think the logic goes something like: Phoebe uses her mind to make her vocal chords talk, her talking makes Rachel act, Rachel makes the pencil move, therefore Phoebe's mind made the pencil move.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    That's funny, but I like it better if she is chanting something, and says that she is trying to move it with the power of her voice. Then it's more clear that it really did work!
    There was a bit on a show I saw when I was younger where a man made a bet he could put the dice under a cup in his right hand without touching the cup. He does some chanting stuff, and the other person lifts the cup, sees that the dice are still there, tells him he failed, and hands him the dice... Whereupon he is told he just lost the bet-- the man did manage to get the dice into his hand without touching the cup.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,563
    Cool, a force that binds us all together...in a good way.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,923
    I love this story. I wish there had been such a stance against bullying when I was growing up, instead the prevailing attitude seemed to be "Oh, it's just kids being kids".
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  27. #27
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Durham NC USA
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    This was supposed to be a poll, but I appear to have mucked it up.
    I think we can fix that.

    How about:

    Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?
    O - All the time. Doesn't everyone?
    O - Yes, when no one is looking
    O - Yes, to impress the opposite sex
    O - Yes, but I do weird stuff all the time.
    O - No, what are you, weird?

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,835
    Awesome. And familiar to me, because I read Jen Yates' Cake Wrecks and Epbot blogs every day. I think she keeps in touch with Katie's family.

    Meanwhile, I can make pumpkins fly with just my mind. Well, just my mind, a piece of paper, a pencil, some computer graphics, some wood, nails, screws, rope, and heavy stuff; but if my mind didn't start it they'd just sit there.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Meanwhile, I can make pumpkins fly with just my mind. Well, just my mind, a piece of paper, a pencil, some computer graphics, some wood, nails, screws, rope, and heavy stuff; but if my mind didn't start it they'd just sit there.
    In my books that qualifies you as a Jedi.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,835
    Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    In my books that qualifies you as a Jedi.
    Oh, I'm just a lowly padawan. (sp??) The real Jedi congregate in Delaware.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •