View Poll Results: Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 50.00%
  • No

2 25.00%
  • I can read my cat's mind, does that count?

1 12.50%
  • Every time I have a few beers

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?

Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?

Maybe you've been sitting on the couch and felt too lazy to get up for the remote and tried to suck it into your hand using the force or perhaps been pulled over by a cop and while waving your hand said in a calm yet commanding tone, "That wasn't my car that just ran the red." It could be that whenever driving by open manhole covers you can't resist seeing if you can get a bulleye with whatever loose items are lying around in your vehicle and, "blow up the Deathstar."

Either in jest or seriousness have you ever checked to see if you might be able to do "special" things with your mind?
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

This was supposed to be a poll, but I appear to have mucked it up.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

I've certainly done it in jest, like imagining that I can explode distant buildings (whether or not that is an attribute that is supposed to be made possible by The Force). Fortunately, it has never actually happened, and my belief that it couldn't happen must be pretty deep, or else I wouldn't do it!

I have. It wasn't.

I used to, but concluded the only force at work was wishful thinking.

I can, however, alleviate my wife's abdominal pain with my hands and no touching. This has everything to do with my wife's credulity and love (and, no, the second isn't only a result of the first, gosh, what cynics!), and very little to do with my real powers. I save those for losing arguments on CQ, but imagining I don't, mwah ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    I used to, but concluded the only force at work was wishful thinking.

I can, however, alleviate my wife's abdominal pain with my hands and no touching. This has everything to do with my wife's credulity and love (and, no, the second isn't only a result of the first, gosh, what cynics!), and very little to do with my real powers. I save those for losing arguments on CQ, but imagining I don't, mwah ha ha!
    "Your's is an evil laugh"...paraphrased from Firefly

Well, not since I was 10 years old...anything "force-like" since then I've chalked up to coincidence.

Oh yes, I spent a lot of time seeing if I had various magic powers when I was younger. I think every kid does, especially those who read a lot of fantasy books. Sadly, no telekinesis, no telepathy, no instinctive way with animals, no controlling the wind...

My friends had invisible friends until I force choked them all. Er, the invisible friends, not my real friends.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Oh yes, I spent a lot of time seeing if I had various magic powers when I was younger. I think every kid does, especially those who read a lot of fantasy books. Sadly, no telekinesis, no telepathy, no instinctive way with animals, no controlling the wind...
    Same here. I tired and tried, never succeeded. Maybe if I had a full-sized X-Wing to levitate...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

"You don't need to see my identification."
    He needed to see my identification...

I swore I had the force when I was a kid. If the inner door to our mudroom wasn't fully closed, I would open the outer door and as I stepped in and reached for the inner door knob, the door would swing towards my hand. You could imagine my disappointment when I learned about cross breezes.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Maybe you've been sitting on the couch and felt too lazy to get up for the remote and tried to suck it into your hand using the force
    Actually, yes, I still do this once in a while. Partially laziness, partially 'just checking'.

Just ask my husband.

Go on.

I dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    I can, however, alleviate my wife's abdominal pain with my hands and no touching. This has everything to do with my wife's credulity and love (and, no, the second isn't only a result of the first, gosh, what cynics!), and very little to do with my real powers.
    I had a playmate (adult style) for a while where I could force a satisfactory outcome by will just by looking her in the eyes, no touching, no foreplay. I can produce witnesses if necessary.
    She wouldn't eat with me in a restaurant until I promised not to do it there.

Not the force, though I'm fairly certain it would have worked even better with the hand gesture.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I had a playmate (adult style) for a while where I could force a satisfactory outcome by will just by looking her in the eyes, no touching, no foreplay. I can produce witnesses if necessary.
    She wouldn't eat with me in a restaurant until I promised not to do it there.

Not the force, though I'm fairly certain it would have worked even better with the hand gesture.
    If you are indeed saying what I think you are saying, I would very much like the email and/or phone number of this remarkable woman!

For the sake of my male ego I am assuming that this exciting feat was mostly due to traits on her side rather than on yours....

I think it was the specific combination of two people that fit perfectly.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Just for the record, I have never worn a giant belt buckle, tried to jaunt or invoked "Tim" to help.
    Solfe

This thread reminds me of the scene in an episode of "Friends" where Phoebe is staring intently at the table. Rachel asks what she's doing, and Phoebe says, "I'm trying to move that pencil using only the power of my mind."

Rachel says, "You mean this one?" and picks the pencil up off the table.

Phoebe grins excitedly and says, "It worked!"

I play disc golf..one day I threw the disc 189 meters..in a wind. It was number 7 driver Star Eagle. Next best threw was 130 meters ! I really had the feeling the force was with me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    This thread reminds me of the scene in an episode of "Friends" where Phoebe is staring intently at the table. Rachel asks what she's doing, and Phoebe says, "I'm trying to move that pencil using only the power of my mind."

Rachel says, "You mean this one?" and picks the pencil up off the table.

Phoebe grins excitedly and says, "It worked!"
    That's funny, but I like it better if she is chanting something, and says that she is trying to move it with the power of her voice. Then it's more clear that it really did work!

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    That's funny, but I like it better if she is chanting something, and says that she is trying to move it with the power of her voice. Then it's more clear that it really did work!
    I think the logic goes something like: Phoebe uses her mind to make her vocal chords talk, her talking makes Rachel act, Rachel makes the pencil move, therefore Phoebe's mind made the pencil move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    There was a bit on a show I saw when I was younger where a man made a bet he could put the dice under a cup in his right hand without touching the cup. He does some chanting stuff, and the other person lifts the cup, sees that the dice are still there, tells him he failed, and hands him the dice... Whereupon he is told he just lost the bet-- the man did manage to get the dice into his hand without touching the cup.

Cool, a force that binds us all together...in a good way.

I love this story. I wish there had been such a stance against bullying when I was growing up, instead the prevailing attitude seemed to be "Oh, it's just kids being kids".

This was supposed to be a poll, but I appear to have mucked it up.
    I think we can fix that.

How about:

Have you ever checked to see if the Force is with you?
    O - All the time. Doesn't everyone?
    O - Yes, when no one is looking
    O - Yes, to impress the opposite sex
    O - Yes, but I do weird stuff all the time.
    O - No, what are you, weird?

Awesome. And familiar to me, because I read Jen Yates' Cake Wrecks and Epbot blogs every day. I think she keeps in touch with Katie's family.

Meanwhile, I can make pumpkins fly with just my mind. Well, just my mind, a piece of paper, a pencil, some computer graphics, some wood, nails, screws, rope, and heavy stuff; but if my mind didn't start it they'd just sit there.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Meanwhile, I can make pumpkins fly with just my mind. Well, just my mind, a piece of paper, a pencil, some computer graphics, some wood, nails, screws, rope, and heavy stuff; but if my mind didn't start it they'd just sit there.
    In my books that qualifies you as a Jedi.

In my books that qualifies you as a Jedi.
    Oh, I'm just a lowly padawan. (sp??) The real Jedi congregate in Delaware.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.