Thread: New Meds...

New Meds...

My seizure disorder finally got intolerable and I had to start taking powerful anti-seizure drugs.

Went as long as I could. And sort of like that old phrase;

"If you keep doing "that" you'll go blind!"

"Can I do it until I need glasses?"

I now have diagnosable damage to my hypothalamus and noticeable impairment of my short term memory.

At only 52 this is a fairly grave sign, neurologically speaking. The odds are good I'll be able to hide my own Easter eggs by the time I'm 60.

I didn't want to post until I settled in and adjusted, but I missed you guys.

I was half afraid I would become like Robin Williams or George Carlin *not* on cocaine.

Hopefully, barring a tau protein disorder, these new meds will arrest any further brain damage. Testing to rule out a tau protein disorder is forth coming.

But my new meds, good lord, does weird things to me. Twice it slowed my heart rate to the point I wasn't able to maintain cerebral perfusion while standing. That cuts your strings right then and there.

It also makes my long muscles rigid sometimes. To the point I can't touch my own head. That's makes eating difficult.

But the scariest thing about the new meds is it makes me not care. Like a powerful pseudo anaesthetic. My sciatica was getting better, then I started moving around a lot more than I used to and I've aggravated it to the point that the "pain" is shooting down past my knee and I don't care.

This concerns me on an intellectual level. When I was in high school there was a huge hoopala then one of my class mate's mentally disabled siblings went to the dentist. The dentist, not thinking things through, novacained him like a regular patient but after the procedure, nobody realized the kid had started chewing on his tongue until after he had damaged it horribly. As in multiple surgeries to fix it bad.

I can't shake the feeling something like this is happening to me. At the moment I'm having continuous throbbing from the middle of my ribcage, left, to the middle of my calf, and I don't care.

This has got to mean something, somewhere.

Alright Fazor, save up your airplane money. I might need you to put a pillow over my face when the dementia sets in hard. I'd ask Henrick but, well...

(I'm afraid he'd actually do it!)

Man, that sounds like something to call the Doctor about at his home, at midnight. Seriously, you need to get that news to someone very soon, before you "don't care" about an oncoming bus or something.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Please BD, tell us what the good news, if any is. Are the new drugs at least helping stop your seizures?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Clev, I was told this is a common side effect that effects some 80% of users. Supposed to lessen over the next few months. Good thing I don't work for a living anymore, 'cause I couldn't.

Funny you should mention buses. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. Only I was thinking how it wouldn't matter much if it did happen. The aforementioned rigidity makes it difficult to cross the street in a timely fashion, especially jay walking. And I just couldn't bring myself to hurry. It's a weird, hard to relate vacancy.

It's like being really stoned on vicodin, while being mainly sober, at the same time. That's the best way I can try to describe it.

Oh! Here's a weird one for one. This stuff makes you insensitive to your own estrogen! So women tend to become inorgasmic while I, on the other hand, have become seriously "on the look out" for female companionship. I haven't been this needful since my Navy days after a long at sea period. It is now one of the few things that can pierce the I don't care effect.

That and now I have to shave ever 18 hours instead of 36 to maintain a well groomed appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Oh! Here's a weird one for one. This stuff makes you insensitive to your own estrogen! So women tend to become inorgasmic while I, on the other hand, have become seriously "on the look out" for female companionship. I haven't been this needful since my Navy days after a long at sea period. It is now one of the few things that can pierce the I don't care effect.
    Must... not... make... dirty... joke...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Oh, hi Swift!

You posted while I was writing to Clev.

Yes! I was getting notably twitchy with a bunch of tics and these now happen a lot less frequently, (but stronger when they do happen).

So, if rigid paralysis is the cost of not having my mind go away, then it's what I have to do, both for my future grandchildren and you guys.

Hmm once after oral anesthetic I had lunch with my daughters, and *carefully* chewed the back of my lower lip. Bloody mess, but it impressed my daughters. Both are going into medicine.

Don't bother being careful, you'll chew it anyway, you know, BD. Keep talking.

So, the kick in the shins the TJMac mentioned in the other thread has materialized.

RBC < 4 million per cc

WBC > 10K per cc

Platelet count 110

I feel oddly wrong. My muscles are too sore to brush my hair and I get out of breath walking fifty feet.

Gonna see my doctor about all this today.

The news meds must be sort of working.

I'm having issues, specifically with sore muscles and serious stiffness, but the doctors have be looking at me under a microscope and I appear to have the metabolism of a twenty year old. (Even my prostate!) Normal levels of muscle, and no heart breakdown products in the bloodstream, kidneys are great and my heart is too young to be mine. (Ultrasound and a twentyfour hour heart monitor.) Yet I stiffen up after repetitive motion and start panting after fifty feet

The only peculiarities are a low red count and a high normal white count. My doctor says my hemoglobin levels are better than 90% of her other patients so they are ruling out anemia.

The search continues...

All the best.

The news meds must be sort of working.

I'm having issues, specifically with sore muscles and serious stiffness, but the doctors have be looking at me under a microscope and I appear to have the metabolism of a twenty year old. (Even my prostate!) Normal levels of muscle, and no heart breakdown products in the bloodstream, kidneys are great and my heart is too young to be mine. (Ultrasound and a twentyfour hour heart monitor.) Yet I stiffen up after repetitive motion and start panting after fifty feet

The only peculiarities are a low red count and a high normal white count. My doctor says my hemoglobin levels are better than 90% of her other patients so they are ruling out anemia.

The search continues...
    Take the following with a hundred billion grains of salt; I'm no doctor.

Sounds to me like you might want to look at blood pressure, circulation, electrolytes, oxygen uptake, and sugar levels. Tired cells?

ETA: High white count might indicate some form of rheumatism, or, more obviously, as yet undetected infection. Were sedimentation levels normal?
    Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 2014-Jan-11 at 08:08 PM.

I can't shake the feeling something like this is happening to me. At the moment I'm having continuous throbbing from the middle of my ribcage, left, to the middle of my calf, and I don't care.

This has got to mean something, somewhere.
    I hope the meds are improving your situation, those were some serious concerns there. But you know, I hear something in this that is less concerning-- you seem to care that you don't care. As long as you care that you don't care, then you do care! You can't walk in front of a bus as long as you hear yourself saying "that's odd, I don't seem to care if I walk in front of that bus, that's abnormal because I should care, and I care that I should care." That sounds to me like enough "caring" to keep you out of the way of the bus, if you can maintain that intellectual self-awareness. If you are having a lot of pain and stiffness, then "not caring" about it sounds a lot like having it "not hurt as much", which is a pretty good thing I would imagine. So maybe the key is not caring to the point that it doesn't bother you as much, but still caring that you don't care, so that your brain is still making good choices. What all that leaves, perhaps, is your status around enjoying things-- are there still things you enjoy doing, that you take pleasure from? And not just that one thing you do still care about....