Thread: The Historical Life and Times of America game

The Historical Life and Times of America game

America was alive and thriving before any Europeans arrived.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Only it was not called America then, it was an European who coined the name.

It was suggested to call America "Columbia", but that was discovered to be a completely different species of nation that was actually found hundreds of miles to the south in South America.

(We are supposed to talk about America as if it were a living thing here, right? Is that the joke or am I missing something?)

The first Europeans to arrive were actually Scandinavian but they were content to ham it all up in Sagas that made the climate in America seem hostile.

Before the Europeans arrived the seas had Cod, the land had buffalo and the skies had passenger pigeons, so obviously we get the hamburger, the turkey sandwich and the email.

Same could be said for Australia. Why is this about America, and not Australia?

The many, many Africans (and folks elsewhere) who won't die of starvation or AIDS, thanks to Yankee generosity of food and money.

All the many scientific discoveries of our Solar System and beyond, thanks to NASA, JPL, the American taxpayer, etc.

Hubble; Viking to Voyager to Cassini to MESSENGER to New Horizons...and more.

Which we wouldn't have otherwise.

The American farmer (not wealthy, not privileged) whose hard work has fed more people on this planet than any other group of humans in world history. From hungry Russians (Cold War Era, thanks to continually failed Soviet "agriculture") to African regions, etc.

Lots of people going to sleep at night with full stomachs, thanks to the American farmer.

http://www.libraryhistorybuff.com/benfranklin.htm

The free public library system = less ignorance. Always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Same could be said for Australia. Why is this about America, and not Australia?
    Australia and America share many attributes, they both begin with A and they both end with a. However cod, buffalo and passenger pigeons do not spring to mind as being "iconic" of down under, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    The many, many Africans (and folks elsewhere) who won't die of starvation or AIDS, thanks to Yankee generosity of food and money.
    Buttercup, did you pick up some hint that this jokey thread that Eric started, was in some way anti-american? Because I don't think it is. Yet you posted several times in a row as if under attack! Please be assured no criticism is intended.

Moving on, about the life and times of America I seek some factual clarification.

Is it true that the word 'Yankees' came about from an early Dutch immigrant of note, Jan Kees?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Vaxxine View Post
    Moving on, about the life and times of America I seek some factual clarification.

Is it true that the word 'Yankees' came about from an early Dutch immigrant of note, Jan Kees?
    well it seems that rather a dutchman of note it was a derogatory term "John Cheese" coined by dutch settlers for english settlers. I have no idea except that slang nicknames are strangely long lived as part of communities slanging each other off, so it seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    well it seems that rather a dutchman of note it was a derogatory term "John Cheese" coined by dutch settlers for english settlers.
    Must be English settlers in Weston-super-Mare.
    Trigger warning - this post may contain information that some members disagree with. It might also end sentences with prepositions.