Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dreamland

I had two very vivid dreams last night, both set at Norwescon even though the hotel they were in was not the Norwescon hotel. In one of them, I was arguing with my sister about her soon-to-be-ex-husband and also had a chat with Wil Wheaton, of all people. In the other, Nick Fury and the cast of the Enterprise-D and I were trying to save the world. There was a time loop and a goddess involved.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I had a really vivid scary dream last night -

So i'm driving in a small van, don't know why and don't know where but I'm lost. I pull into what looks like an old abandoned industrial estate. I notice a gang of workmen doing what appears to be renovating a large old building. I pull up near the building, get out of my van and head towards the closest workman. He see's me and hurries to me, waving his arms and ushering me back. I explain that I'm lost and looking for a main roadway. He tells me there is no through route here and I should go back to where I came from. I turn and head back towards my van which has now disappeared. I start to look around in a panic then notice a bit of a distance away what looks like my van. I run towards it and as I get closer I can see a few men around it and another guy on a load all machine squashing my van. I shout at them to stop, they surround me. They beat me to the ground then to death. Then they chop me up and begin to bury my remains in some concrete they are about to pour. It turns out i'd stumbled upon a secret drugs operation. Then I woke up!

I wasn't woken by my beating or by my death and I wasn't in a sweat or panicking when I awoke. It fact I was quite calm as though the dream had been serene. Yet it was so vivid and the details so distinctive, with a sharp clarity that I can still remember clear as day.

I had one last night in which Gillian turned up, as a byline in a major magazine article!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I wish!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    So i'm driving in a small van, don't know why and don't know where but I'm lost. I notice a gang of workmen doing what appears to be renovating a large old building. I can see a few men around it and another guy on a load all machine squashing my van..
    Hah--no drugs. They are too busy crushing Burans, igniting churches and crushing cars these days
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/27/us/se...pse/index.html

Had another blasted work dream. I hate those. Running late--that sort of thing.

I had a dream once where I was the AI of a space warship, running a combat mission against rebels on a half terraformed Mars. I saw out of the soldiers' space suit body cams and through drones and robots.

Why the robots weren't doing the fighting is a question my dream-self never asked.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Finally a good dream.

Last night, I dreamed that Elon Musk had taken to launching solids out of big old chimneys.

Dreams have logic all their own I guess.

He had what looked like skies with skateboard wheels tied to the sides of them to keep the rocket from hitting the inside of the chimney.

The skies fell away, and parachuted. One set of them hit some downed fence, and I'm trying to work it free.

next thing you know, Elon descends in a flying car, steps out and shakes my hand.

I was a security guard somewhere on property.

I woke up before I could suggest the wheels be put inside the chimney--and not on the rocket.

I had just watched a flying car segment on CBS' NO EXIT

Next you'll be dreaming that Musk is assembling orbital rockets in an open shed in the desert. That would be a really ridiculous one!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Next you'll be dreaming that Musk is assembling orbital rockets in an open shed in the desert. That would be a really ridiculous one!
    The Astronaut Farmer II: This Time It's Literal

I have two recurring dreams, about twice a year.

In one, I decided to repeat my final exams for electrical engineering at the ETH in Zurich. I have two weeks to catch and do not know where the classes are and am desperately trying to find out.

On the other, am at the beach and suddenly a huge tidal wave appears, and I try to get out of the water. (When I was a kid, I was in Malibu beach, when suddenly big waves appeared and we all had to run away for high ground.)

Had a dream of a huge tidal wave passing over me, once. The pressure in my ears was so intense, it woke me up.

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I have two recurring dreams, about twice a year.
    I have a recurring dream when I'm really ill. I dream that I'm trapped in a space, by this I mean that there is space to move around but there is no obvious direction to go. The space is pure white and its full of random large coloured shapes in every direction that are constantly moving towards me no matter which way I turn. I just spend the whole time running around with nowhere to go, trying continually to avoid being squished by the shapes.

Watch the cones, they're pointy!

I'm the square....

I had an extended lucid dream last night. It had my mother in it, I thought "wait a minute, she died. This must be a dream." From there on I was able to send it all sorts of weird ways. At one point I was being attacked by a dragon; I held up my hand and turned it into an owl.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I had an extended lucid dream last night. It had my mother in it, I thought "wait a minute, she died. This must be a dream." From there on I was able to send it all sorts of weird ways. At one point I was being attacked by a dragon; I held up my hand and turned it into an owl.
    Who needs the Holodeck when you have the Dreamland?

While with the Holodeck you have control. With dreams you get a random selection like the other morning I had a dream where I was back at the old call center taking calls for a hotel I had no info for and trying to do other work at the same time.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    While with the Holodeck you have control. With dreams you get a random selection like the other morning I had a dream where I was back at the old call center taking calls for a hotel I had no info for and trying to do other work at the same time.
    That does not sound like lucid dreaming to me.

I have semi-lucid dreams where I'm only partly in control and unexpected weird things keep surprising me. Kinda like my real life.

Lately I have had a lot of dreams involving my former workmates and aspects - usually silly - of my job. I think it is because it is now just over 10 years since I took early retirement and I am feeling an increasing sense of dissociation, loss or perhaps distance from something that took up 37 years of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Who needs the Holodeck when you have the Dreamland?
    The holodeck no work.
    The ride from Corvette Summer was being worked on.

Probert wanted all the spoilers to stay--as an effects freak

Sternbach wanted a fastback

Not staying to character, the program is.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    The holodeck no work.
    The ride from Corvette Summer was being worked on.

Probert wanted all the spoilers to stay--as an effects freak

Sternbach wanted a fastback

Not staying to character, the program is.
    I literally understood none of that.

Sternbach was noted for detailing the Enterprise D model. Probert wanted smoother lines, etc. A bad joke.
    Last edited by publiusr; 2019-May-25 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Stenback was notied for detailing the Enterprise D model. Probert wanted smoother lines, etc. A bad joke.
    Ah, OK.

Did you know that 2X - X does not equal X? Because quantum or something, according to a dream I had just before waking. I was even doing a spreadsheet to prove it wrong and the spreadsheet confirmed it. Maybe I should do one now that I'm awake, just to be sure.

I mentioned a while ago that I was having a lot of dreams about my past working life lately. Well, that is still continuing but while the latest dream was not particularly memorable what happened when I woke up immediately afterwards tickled my fancy. For many years my standard working hours were 08:30 am to 4:51 pm. When I woke up I looked at my digital bedside clock and the time was exactly 4:51 (admittedly 'am' but still a nice coincidence)

The other day I had a dream were I had a couple of shelves of books in the front of a classroom. Me and I friend start talking about some of the Sci-fi books and asked if he read any of them and if he wanted to burrow one or two, then I thought about his religion if it was alright since they mention subjects that aren't allowed. Also for some reason on shelve could hold a bunch of suitcases a couple of my old ones, a new a bought at the auction and couple of my mothers old ones. When I woke I remembered he read the books before me, haven't seen him in years. He left my school a year ahead of time and went to another school I think because of bullies.

This morning I woke had dream were I was going to work in one those old seventies style sedans. As I getting into it a saw a couple of bullets pass by and then as I was driving I kept get shot at and I got stuck at exchange where nobody would let me get into the right lane and still heard shots hit the car but the car was bullet proof. Eventually I turned the car around and rammed the car shooting at me a cop was right behind me to arrest the shooter.

Trebuchet, Firstly you are looking the busiest person in his life. You works the whole day and you also want to work at night. Dreams are the essential part of life, and some time as the dreams come true we never think about it. I have a dream to become a doctor and treat the people frankly. I will never drop my dream at any cost and i woul surely do which i want. What opinions you have about my dreams?

This morning I hard a dream of meeting the members of a podcast group in a large log cabin, then buying something from a store they had and giving it to a member of their group who left. Then going to a dry a cleaners where it looked like the owner was using some complicated computer and gear device, behind it was several hundred minions doing the work.

I had one of my usual dreams where snippets of my conscious experiences are randomly stitched together to form very strange and impossible scenarios. But as usual it all results in my death. I seem to be dreaming a lot about my mortality just lately! I have no serious conscious fear of dying (obviously I don't want to anytime soon) but I have no trouble accepting my mortality. So why all the vivid dreams of my death?

My partner says I need counselling, mind you, she doesn't understand why I find science or this forum at all interesting. I think its her who needs the counselling!

Last night I seemed to be in the US Navy, neutralizing the threat posed by an Argentinian(?) submarine. Except all of this was on land, in a residential neighborhood, and the submarine was in a garage or going down an alley.

If my waking mind was a tenth as creative as when I'm asleep, I'd be a successful SF author.

I had a dream the other night where I found out the Doctor is combination of Human, timelord and Dalek.