Page 73 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 5234

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    The whole ceremony was broadcast after a 1 hour delay for really badly explained and nonsensical reasons. Plus, the program itself was terrible.

CJSF
    I called it quits after about twenty minutes of dreary strings of commercials interspersed with a few minutes at a time of the show. I could not see sitting through 3 or 4 hours of the same just to see how they would light the Olympic flame. A condensed package showing highlights of Brazilian culture, with their renowned singing and dancing, would have been nice.

Another gripe I had on the Olympic coverage was frequent poor picture quality in HD, resembling coarse JPEG artifacts, as compared with consistently smooth imaging on an HD telecast of This Old House on public TV. It gives me the sense that after paying astronomical fees for TV rights to the Games and proportionately large salaries for the network talking heads, there was not enough left for the purely technical stuff. Maybe some overzealous image "enhancement" aggravated it.

The whole ceremony was broadcast after a 1 hour delay for really badly explained and nonsensical reasons. Plus, the program itself was terrible.

CJSF
    Four hours here on the west coast.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

CJSF
    Just out of curiosity, what were the badly explained and nonsensical reasons? I am guessing in part a network herd mentality clinging to an archaic principle of "prime time".

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what were the badly explained and nonsensical reasons? I am guessing in part a network herd mentality clinging to an archaic principle of "prime time".
    They claimed something to the effect of, "It was necessary to maintain context given the host nation's complex cultural situation," which did not seem at all relevant, especially given the coverage I watched. The only part of their explanation that made sense was that they could cut to commercials and not miss any nation's entrance.

CJSF

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

The badly explained reasons were badly explained because they were lies. Prime time was the only real reason.

Starting to eat breakfast alone this a.m., buttering pancakes, when a man traipses by and flirts.

At 8:00 a.m.

And there's a gold band on my left hand besides. I should have slid my foot out and tripped him.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The badly explained reasons were badly explained because they were lies. Prime time was the only real reason.

"Prime time" as a reason possibly encompasses some of the costuming and dance moves, I suspect. Having an hour (EDT) delay allowed them some time to edit out some (but not all, from what I saw) of the more "revealing" views of the samba costumes and any "too sensual for the network censors" dancing were possibly not shown. That's the only way I can figure for the coy "cultural sensitivities" remarks. Whatever.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

That somewhat passes as an explanation for the one hour delay, but not four hours on the west coast.
    I'll admit I did catch a glimpse of buns on CBC.

Knuckleheads who stand and chitchat by the street side of a parked car on a narrow street where there is barely enough room, if that much, for two way traffic and parking. I encountered two of them today, and they just smiled at me as I sat in frustration while waiting for opposing traffic to clear before going around them. It would have been a no-brainer to stand in front of or behind the car, or better yet on the curb side, away from traffic.

What's maybe worse is two old buddies why happen to almost pass each other on a two-way street, so they both stop, roll down the windows, and carry on a conversation.

Usually they break it up when another car arrives in either direction, but not always.

When the Olympics were in Australia, I watched the closing ceremonies, which contained a tribute to Australian film. I'd heard that this would include a float celebrating The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, complete with drag queens. And I did catch a glimpse of it, in a long shot--NBC had decided that Americans weren't interested or ready for it or whatever and didn't show it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I've always been a little tired of the dramatic cut away from the action bio spots they do on the athletes, but this time around it seems even WORSE. I get that some background and drama can add a bit of flavor, but lately it seems too much. Even American Ninja Warrior overdoes it at times (sacrificing good stage runs for bios - I'd MUCH rather you show someone's complete run than a full sob-story bio). Maybe my tolerance for it has gotten even lower, but this year some coverage critics seem to agree with me.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Graham's mother died last week. She'd been in bad health for a long time. It wasn't unexpected. Though apparently it was to two of his brothers, who are taking things very hard and making things difficult for the rest of us. They've decided, for reasons presumably best known to his oldest brother, that the funeral needs to be Saturday at two.

Now, about the only people who will be there are Graham and his siblings; she didn't really have many friends, and the rest of the family is in Texas and doesn't have much contact with them. Graham's sister had to fly in from Sweden and presumably doesn't have much time off, since she's already taken a month this summer to get married in. Graham has Monday, Wednesday, and Friday off this week. He also technically has Saturday, except it's his first weekend of drill since reenlisting in the Reserves. He's going to have to take bereavement time on his first day in order to make it. I won't be there at all, and neither will Simon, because this is one of the six days a year I absolutely, positively, have somewhere to be. So, yeah, this feels deliberate to me. It may not be, but that's how it feels.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My condolences to Graham. Expected or not, inevitable or not, it's still hard to lose a parent. This is someone he's known literally his entire life.

As for the funeral timing, a lot of people don't think very clearly at such times. Maybe that's what this is and nothing intentional.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My condolences to Graham as well.

I could add some comments about difficulties with in-laws, but there are absolutely none for me...which isn't always wonderful either (estrangement).
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Gillianren, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

When my brother and I were planning my mother's funeral this past winter, we made a point to accommodate extended family members for whom it was important, especially for a cousin who had lived with us to finish high school while her parents were overseas. We had opted for cremation in accordance with Mom's wishes, so there was no expense in waiting. With complications from the blizzard we ended up waiting ten weeks. Having said that, it is none of my business to try to tell your brothers-in-law what I think they should do. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My condolences to Graham. Expected or not, inevitable or not, it's still hard to lose a parent. This is someone he's known literally his entire life.

As for the funeral timing, a lot of people don't think very clearly at such times. Maybe that's what this is and nothing intentional.
    Jim said it all very well, so I'll quote him. And losing an in-law can be as hard as losing a parent. My thoughts are with both you and Graham.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Sorry to hear that gillianren.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

My condolences also gillianren.

And mine as well. I'm very sorry, Graham.

Mine too.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

A non-trivial thing that outrages me: The increasingly irresponsible behavior of people trying to achieve positions of great responsibility.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    It's always funny to know that the cost of your work is more important than the quality of your work....
    Ah, the wonderful world of software consultants !
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not formíd to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

Quote Originally Posted by UntrainedObserver View Post
    It's always funny to know that the cost of your work is more important than the quality of your work....
    Ever stepped into a Walmart? Cost is king. Quality...well, I'll just say "not so much."

This attitude seems to have worked its way into all aspects of life, at least where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Cheap stuff has always been there. It all depends on you and whether you wish to participate.........or ...NOT.
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

And from my old commanding officer, CDR Sheridan : " It only costs a little more to go first class " .

I got home from work yesterday and my wife told me to talk to our daughter, who was on the verge of tears.

She had developed a rash and went to a medical clinic which shall not be named 'cause I don't want to be sued for telling the truth. The medical person there checked her out and prescribed a steroid cream. But, to be safe, before she used the cream let's check her BP.

OMG! Dangerously high. Like, 205 over something. My daughter was told to go to an urgent care facility to get an EKG, to make sure her heart was healthy enough to use the steroid and to check out the high BP.

Hence the verge of tears.

The insurance company gave her the names and addresses of two nearby urgent care facilities. Both closed ... moved across town. So she called back and got two more. The first (third) one was open.

EKG was fine and her BP - while a bit high ... go figure - was no where near 205.

Gee, thanks, person at the clinic which shall not be named. You gave us all a very pleasant family evening.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Having been trained to take blood pressures, I've noted over the years a lot of poor techniques from technicians and nurses taking BPs. For example, I was taught that you do not take it over a sleeve (has to be bare flesh), you do not let the patient roll up the shirt because they often do it such that the bunched up sleeve restricts blood flow, and you do not go up and down and then back up in pressure on the same arm - if you can't get a good number (often because you can't hear the blood flow in the stethoscope) you either go to the other arm, or you wait five minutes. Yet I've seen all these mistakes.

Glad your daughter is OK.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Having been trained to take blood pressures, I've noted over the years a lot of poor techniques from technicians and nurses taking BPs. For example, I was taught that you do not take it over a sleeve (has to be bare flesh), you do not let the patient roll up the shirt because they often do it such that the bunched up sleeve restricts blood flow, and you do not go up and down and then back up in pressure on the same arm - if you can't get a good number (often because you can't hear the blood flow in the stethoscope) you either go to the other arm, or you wait five minutes. Yet I've seen all these mistakes.

Glad your daughter is OK.
    I've had dramatically different readings one or two minutes apart.

I've seen all the bad techniques. Back when I was a teaching assistant in physiology laboratory, I'd let the nursing students practice blood pressure reading on my arm. (Wonder why I did that? ) When they overdid the pressurization and your eyes began to pop, I knew that it was time to loosen up and try again.

However, lately I've noted that, while being careful about other things, the assistants clamp the thing over my shirtsleeve routinely. Is the modern equipment more tolerant of this?