Page 52 of 175 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 5234

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

closetgeek,

I love your mind games with the spam callers. I usually don't think of such things till after I hang up, or don't want to take the time because I'm in the middle of dinner or something similar.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I've been getting a lot of unwanted calls lately. They never leave a message, but the sheer number has gotten annoying.

I recently added SIT tones to my machine. Time will tell if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I'm thinking about asking the "Windows Technical Center" callers if they are in India. When they so "no", I'l sound relieved and start telling them what a bad country India is. Would that make me a bad person?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

One year long ago, my listing in the local phone book gave my first name as "Dave" rather than "Don." (Probably just a simple error: that happens to be my brother's name, but as he lives in another state, it was probably a coincidence.)

However, whenever I got a call for Dave, I knew at once that this was someone who didn't know me, and that I could hang up at once, which I often did. It was great, I thought, like an unlisted number for free, only better.

However, at some point the phone company called us to ask if our listing was correct, and Mrs. M. went ahead and told them they'd gotten my name wrong. Thus, it would be fixed in next year's phone book.

I've forgiven her by now. I think.

This morning, I got a fundraising call. This is a trivial annoyance--we got put on the Do Not Call list years ago, but charities don't have to pay attention to that. I'm usually polite, and this woman and I chatted a bit about the weekend's weather before she got to the meat of her call. I then informed her that I'm on disability and had less than a hundred dollars left after my expenses were paid this month. Usually, the very statement "I'm on disability" gets these people to apologize and hang up. This woman started going on about leaving my needs in the hands of a higher power, and that if I put things out into the universe, I'll see it repaid. So I hung up on her.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    This woman started going on about leaving my needs in the hands of a higher power, and that if I put things out into the universe, I'll see it repaid. So I hung up on her.
    Then why doesn't the charity she is fundraising for do that. Just put their needs in the hands of a higher power and leave the rest of us mortals alone.

Wow. Reminds me of the John Oliver segment about televangelists a few weeks ago. Scary scary stuff that was. Non trivial; people being suckered into sending away money they can't afford to lose, in the hope of getting back more. (A kind of gambling, I suppose, with less hope of payout).
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

8. 2015-Sep-02, 08:01 PM

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    I'm pretty sure I could sell Karmic debt consolidation loans on the internet...

This morning, I got a fundraising call. This is a trivial annoyance--we got put on the Do Not Call list years ago, but charities don't have to pay attention to that. I'm usually polite, and this woman and I chatted a bit about the weekend's weather before she got to the meat of her call. I then informed her that I'm on disability and had less than a hundred dollars left after my expenses were paid this month. Usually, the very statement "I'm on disability" gets these people to apologize and hang up. This woman started going on about leaving my needs in the hands of a higher power, and that if I put things out into the universe, I'll see it repaid. So I hung up on her.
    I'd have been far less polite than that. Nearly all "charities" that call are scams anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingSkyward View Post
    I'm pretty sure I could sell Karmic debt consolidation loans on the internet...

Yes, but that will lead of course to the Karma bubble of 2019 and the 10 year Karma recession that followed.

I encountered the same merging traffic situation for the second year in a row, but from the opposite viewpoint. On eastbound I-66 near Delaplane, Virginia, southbound traffic from US-17 merges from the left at an entrance built over 50 years ago when it seemed like a good idea, and unchanged since then. The merging zone is very short, and there is a sign approaching it saying something like, "Merging traffic from left, through traffic keep right." Nevertheless there were impatient tailgaters bunched up behind slowpokes in the left lane who were taking forever to pass slower traffic, and forcing motorists from route 17 to squeeze into small openings in their blind spots. Because of curvature of the roads and shrubbery the visibility from the entrance ramp is very poor. This time I was in the right lane just watching the action. Last time I was entering from route 17 and it was really scary. We really need enforceable traffic code requiring us to keep right except when passing, along with a requirement to complete a passing move quickly. It is the law in most of Europe and in some of our states, but apparently not in Virginia.

Telling door to door fundraising/salespeople people I'm unemployed shuts them down as well. Once they realize you simply don't have any spare $ at all they tend to move on. I may continue to use that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    We really need enforceable traffic code requiring us to keep right except when passing, along with a requirement to complete a passing move quickly.
    While riding the PA Turnpike this past week, I noticed that the left lane routinely had heavy traffic, while the right lane was clear for a considerable distance.

I'm pretty sure "keep right except when passing" is the law there, but it is apparently ignored.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I could be wrong, but "keep right except when passing" has always seemed an awfully inefficient use of the road.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I could be wrong, but "keep right except when passing" has always seemed an awfully inefficient use of the road.
    With heavy traffic and/or highways with a lot of merging traffic, I would agree because it maximizes the use of all the lanes.

The problem is that when people don't keep right, everything gets backed up and traffic slows down and bunches up. Even when everyone is obeying the speed limit, not everyone is close to it.

To top that off, there are those aggressive drivers that compound a situation like that.

Also; in the left lane, it is more difficult to see surrounding traffic which creates an increased hazard. This is why I hate merging with a yield to the traffic on the right like a left lane on ramp. A highway on ramp is difficult enough, but I have seen it used with two roads or ramps merging and yielding to the right only because the right hand lane has more traffic.

Not long ago, I was travelling the West Virgina turnpike. With all the trucks on the road not being able to keep up with the speed limit, it was extremely important. Some old lady was doing about 5-10 mph under the speed limit in the left lane. It ended up to be a rolling roadblock that was several miles long. With the trucks not being able to accelerate, there were periods when traffic went more than 20mph under.

Look at it this way:

If you're not going faster in the left lane than traffic is in the right lane, then there's no gain in efficiency by being in the left lane - you won't get to your destination any sooner.

If you are going faster than traffic in the right lane, then you're passing.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Now and again, I'm in the left lane when both lanes are pretty busy at matched speeds, and still the guy behind me honks and flashes at me. I guess he wants me to squeeze into the right lane so that he can move up one length and try to bully the next driver to do the same, and the next, and the next ... Well, sorry if I won't help you rearrange everybody else just for your convenience.

As others note, it is inefficient in urban traffic, but in suburban or rural areas it really is more efficient ... when folks actually do it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Now and again, I'm in the left lane when both lanes are pretty busy at matched speeds, and still the guy behind me honks and flashes at me. I guess he wants me to squeeze into the right lane so that he can move up one length and try to bully the next driver to do the same, and the next, and the next ... Well, sorry if I won't help you rearrange everybody else just for your convenience.
    Yes, I've had the same experience and am equally annoyed by it.

Similarly, I've had times when I'm in the right lane, I'm doing at least the speed limit, and the lane to my left is clear, and I'll still get people in back of me honking, flashing their lights, and tailgating me, instead of passing me. It seems that they usually are exiting to the right just up ahead, and they don't want to lose those extra fractions of a second that they would gain if they could only travel 5 mph faster, but the exit is too close for them to try to pass me. My usual response to such behavior is to slow down.

I was told long ago that when the guy behind you is acting crazy, you should turn on your headlights (assuming they're not already on). It may cause a patrol car nearby to take note, in which case the crazy guy may get an official scolding or worse.

Of course, many cars these days keep their headlights on in the daytime, so that trick would be less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    While riding the PA Turnpike this past week, I noticed that the left lane routinely had heavy traffic, while the right lane was clear for a considerable distance.

I'm pretty sure "keep right except when passing" is the law there, but it is apparently ignored.
    That's why hardcore speeders use the right lane a lot. I recently mentioned the motorcycle that blew by at at least 100 mph, with the police trying and failing to respond. The bike was in the right lane. When he wasn't on the shoulder.

I could be wrong, but "keep right except when passing"
    has always seemed an awfully inefficient use of the road.
    I agree completely. Given that the vast majority of
    entrances and exits are on the right, not the left, putting
    more traffic into the right lane makes merges more
    difficult, more dangerous, more scary, far more often.
    Cars in the right lane are in the way far more often than
    are cars in the left. They are in the way for everyone
    entering and everyone exiting.

Keeping the traffic on the right would mean the left lane
    gets used very little, putting nearly all the wear on the
    right lane. Making the lane that everyone *has* to use
    the one that has to be closed for repairs most often.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    My usual response to such behavior is to slow down.
    I don't recall ever seeing an instance of "road rage",
    but I'd bet that you've seen lots of it. Deliberately
    slowing someone who is anxious or desperate to get
    somewhere on time doesn't sound like a good idea.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing an instance of "road rage",
    but I'd bet that you've seen lots of it. Deliberately
    slowing someone who is anxious or desperate to get
    somewhere on time doesn't sound like a good idea.
    Slowing down to let them pass, exactly as you're taught in drivers' school and as the law says you should, is not a good idea?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Not if they're trying to exit, no!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I have not yet driven in North America - Canada next year - but the "keep to the right" rule seems to work pretty well on most German Autobahns. It is combined with a no "undertaking" law i.e. unless there is a "Stau" (traffic jam) you may not pass anyone whilst in the right lane. Also most German drivers seem to handle merging pretty well (far better than Australian ones) and if possible move over at on-ramps to allow swift merging. However woe betide you if you sit in the left lane after overtaking.

Of course all these rules have no effect on severely congested Autobahns like that between Stuttgart & Frankfurt where one lane is solid trucks doing their maximum 100km and the other lane(s) are bumper to bumper cars.

I'm amazed at how often someone passes me on the left, then cuts back in front of me only to exit right. This move must save them all of 0.75 seconds in getting off the highway!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yes, I've had the same experience and am equally annoyed by it.

Similarly, I've had times when I'm in the right lane, I'm doing at least the speed limit, and the lane to my left is clear, and I'll still get people in back of me honking, flashing their lights, and tailgating me, instead of passing me. It seems that they usually are exiting to the right just up ahead, and they don't want to lose those extra fractions of a second that they would gain if they could only travel 5 mph faster, but the exit is too close for them to try to pass me. My usual response to such behavior is to slow down.
    I am glad that, in Houston, flashing you lights means 'I'm a jerk, please slam on your brakes'. Invariably the guy flashing his lights has out of state plates. On the other hand, sometimes I forget I am not in Houston. Then I am the jerk

Once, driving along a lonely, dark two-lane highway, I had a guy pull out, pass, squeeze back in front of me ... and then start flashing his brake lights at me. He must have thought that my headlights were too bright for his rear-view mirror. Poor fellow!

A friend won't admit she's got a drinking problem...sister is increasingly depressed...sister-in-law up and quit her job (can't blame her - horrid employer)...another friend's husband can't find a job and they're nearly homeless...

Very sad. And frustrating. The bottom is suddenly dropping out on a lot of people I care about.