Page 5 of 175 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    (But I knew people who were worse!)
    By worse you mean having less comics, right? In that case I was very, very good.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I suppose this won't be believed, but ... very tired of men hitting on me in stores. I'm **MARRIED.**

Yesterday it was a man who "accidentally" bumped his shopping cart into mine (food aisle at Big Lot's). "Oh, excuse me!"

I'm like Dude, go to Hooter's.

I grumbled angrily, "Sure."

I don't appreciate these interruptions when I'm trying to figure out how many more items I can put in the cart with what $$$ I have; looking over new items and etc.

Or men come up behind me (plenty of room to pass) with "Excuse me, ma'am!"

Oh ... you need my attention?

Next time I go shopping, I'll consider putting a heavy glass soda bottle in the cart and cracking it over someone's head.

It's harrassment, and I'm sick of it.

Some men need to learn that not every woman is dying and pining for his attention ... or anything else.

p.s.: And if anyone thinks this is amusing or funny, I am someone's wife and daughter. You wouldn't want YOUR wife or daughter subjected to this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2013-Jun-21 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Wasn't he the villian defeated by Ant-Man in Marvel #362?
    You know, it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel did base a villain on Wertham. Except Seduction of the Innocent has been out of print for years, and even my alma mater's library only has a photocopy. Though it is, beautifully enough, bound in hardcover.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

...have telephoned local newspaper's "Sound Off" section to complain of the harrassment, and suggest other women report incidents to store managers.

Go to a bar! Leave me in peace to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Go to a bar! Leave me in peace to shop.
    Nope; I'm not a fan of going to bars, so I doubt I would find someone compatible at a bar.
    (I actually met my ex at a bar. It was a fluke)

But; I do see the problem. Picking up people at a store does seem kind of strange to me.

I do like to be friendly in public situations though, and that might come across as being forward.

But; I think the line being drawn is if the comment is relative to reacting to a current situation and not a contrived situation (cart bumping), or contrived topic ("have you ever tried...").

I also like to be polite in public, if I'm walking in front of someone contemplating the selection on the grocery store shelves for instance, I'll say "excuse me", but I can see how someone intentionally playing bumper cars to get your attention would be annoying. Personal space is becoming a very precious commodity I find.

Thanks NEOWatcher. These actions are deliberate, and occurring too frequently. Especially in the case of a man walking past (with plenty of room between us) and saying "Excuse me" loudly - and 9 times out of 10 having quietly come up from behind.

It's just a ruse.

I am not taking my husband shopping with me to prevent it, either. We have plenty of time together otherwise, and sometimes I like to browse and take more time.

Men who are shopping for real are quick about getting their groceries (or whatever), absorbed in the task, get the stuff, make a beeline for checkout. These other guys...I don't get it. They must be desperate. But they are becoming a nuisance.

It's beyond ridiculous that a woman is often (and I mean nearly every time now) harrassed by at least one man while simply trying to purchase milk, canned goods, bread. To face that at a grocery store?? Good grief.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2013-Jun-21 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    In one engineering class, we were given a problem in the text book to solve. I had the answer, but couldn't figure out how to get from one to the other.

So, I wrote the problem at the top of the sheet and worked it down the page as far as I could go. I wrote the answer at the bottom and worked it as far back up the page as I could. Then, in the white space in between, I wrote some random numbers and symbols and turned it in.

Score, 8 out of 10, with a note that the TA couldn't quite follow that middle part.
    I had a similar experience in Organic Chemistry. We would get these test questions where you had to start from A and make L, and had to show each step in the process, like:

A + B = C (over a Pt catalyst)
    C + D + E = F + F' (separate F by distillation)
    F + G = H
    etc.

For this one question, I remember ever step except the last one - I knew the reagents and the product, but I couldn't remember the conditions. So on top of the little arrow, instead of writing "80C, Pt, EtOH" or whatever, I wrote "magic".

I lost the same amount of partial credit I would have it I left it blank (darn).

And then of course, there is this classic cartoon.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thanks NEOWatcher. These actions are deliberate, and occurring too frequently. Especially in the case of a man walking past (with plenty of room between us) and saying "Excuse me" loudly - and 9 times out of 10 having quietly come up from behind.

It's just a ruse.

I am not taking my husband shopping with me to prevent it, either. We have plenty of time together otherwise, and sometimes I like to browse and take more time.

Men who are shopping for real are quick about getting their groceries (or whatever), absorbed in the task, get the stuff, make a beeline for checkout. These other guys...I don't get it. They must be desperate. But they are becoming a nuisance.

It's beyond ridiculous that a woman is often (and I mean nearly every time now) harrassed by at least one man while simply trying to purchase milk, canned goods, bread. To face that at a grocery store?? Good grief.
    So move out of taliban county.
    It's within your power to go to a part of the country which isn't run by fundamentalist misogynists instead of incessantly complaining about it here.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    ...but I can see how someone intentionally playing bumper cars to get your attention would be annoying...
    It's also cumulative effect. If it were only once in a while (some people will "do stuff" to get attention [for whatever reason)'... but when it's a lot of people and nearly every time going to a grocery store now it's aggravating.

It's also like being approached by transients for pocket money. I don't mind giving a dollar here and there, whether a bill or in coins.

But after 20 years of living in a place with quite a lot of "transient traffic," it's gotten OLD. I try not to be rude or grouchy if approached by a transient; I do maintain politeness to them.

And it probably never occurs to them that it's yet another instance of being asked for money.

It gets tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    So move out of taliban county.
    Tell it to my husband. I've wanted to move out since 1994 - and would have.

It's within your power to go to a part of the country which isn't run by fundamentalist misogynists instead of incessantly complaining about it here.
    I don't incessantly complain about it.

Quit reading my posts if you think I do.

And Henrik, is that your way of trying to quiet a woman who has a legitimate reason to complain, in a thread for such a purpose (and who has also contacted her local newspaper in an effort to get the malarky to stop)?

I don't know why you dislike me (and don't care all that much).

Please put me on your Ignore List. I don't need attitude from you.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Picking up people at a store does seem kind of strange to me.
    That was actually a plot on an episode of Happy Days. Fonzie took Richie to the store to show how to meet women. Meanwhile, some other older man was doing the exact same "techniques" on Richie's mom.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    That was actually a plot on an episode of Happy Days. Fonzie took Richie to the store to show how to meet women. Meanwhile, some other older man was doing the exact same "techniques" on Richie's mom.
    I've seen similar scenes in plenty of sit-coms like that. Invariably, it usually ends up with one of the scenes in the produce department and involves large fruit that grows on a vine.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I don't know why you dislike me (and don't care all that much).

Please put me on your Ignore List. I don't need attitude from you.
    I would ask both of you to chill. Thank you.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I've seen similar scenes in plenty of sit-coms like that. Invariably, it usually ends up with one of the scenes in the produce department and involves large fruit that grows on a vine.
    In my case, the only thing that'll be growing is a goose egg on the other person's head.

It's also the technique that Otter used to pick up Dean Wormer's wife in Animal House.

Buttercup, I would suggest a defensive strategy like, talk loudly on the phone about your husband's habit of jealously confronting guys at gunpoint (no one in the store needs to know there's no one at the other end of the phone!)
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I had a similar experience in Organic Chemistry. We would get these test questions where you had to start from A and make L, and had to show each step in the process, like:

A + B = C (over a Pt catalyst)
    C + D + E = F + F' (separate F by distillation)
    F + G = H
    etc.

For this one question, I remember ever step except the last one - I knew the reagents and the product, but I couldn't remember the conditions. So on top of the little arrow, instead of writing "80C, Pt, EtOH" or whatever, I wrote "magic".

I lost the same amount of partial credit I would have it I left it blank (darn).

And then of course, there is this classic cartoon.
    There's a supposedly-true story about some physics professor.

Having put several equations on the board, he states "It is obvious that Equation 8 follows from Equation 7."

Then he frowns, scowls, stares at the figures. He scrawls some scratchy numbers in a corner of the board and frowns some more.
    He whips out a slide rule and fusses with it. He opens a book and flips through it intently.
    More scratching. More rule sliding. More hasty lookups. Repeat.

After about half an hour, he states proudly "I was right -- it is obvious," and goes on with Equation 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Buttercup, I would suggest a defensive strategy like, talk loudly on the phone about your husband's habit of jealously confronting guys at gunpoint (no one in the store needs to know there's no one at the other end of the phone!)
    Very good idea!

Or: "Honey, get over here quick; Aisle 5 - guy in blue Western-print shirt."

Yes, I do think from now on I'll have cellphone handy...even if out of minutes and husband's not in the store.

Hey, BC, sadly there is a reason they do that and you probably won't like it either. That's because some men can pull it off. So technically you're being let down by your metaphorical sisters.

I was angrily confronted by a young woman of my acquaintance who demanded to know "Why men cheat". (I was sort of put off as I have never cheated on a spouse or girlfriend in my entire 53 years of life.)

My first reply was:

"Well, if he was cheating on you with another man, then it probably wouldn't have worked anyway."

She, of course, corrected me, not picking up on the sarcasm.

"So, did this other woman know he was dating you?"

Got an affirmative there.

"So what you mean to say is: "Why do people cheat?" as it's not the soul providence of men!"

Yes, I know she was mad at her soon to be ex-boyfriend, but still, it was off putting.

I do have a related story you might find amusing.

About six months after my divorce I was a large supermarket one evening and I noticed my youngest daughter about four aisles down. The market was big enough that the aisles were divided by a middle crossing aisle so I only spotted her briefly. She was just about five at the time. Well, I missed my kids horribly having gone from reading them bedtime stories every night to seeing them five times a month, so I wandered on over. (Yeah, they were in the produce section.)

So when I turn the corner, not one, not two, but three guys are flirting with my ex and she's eating it up. (Yeah, she's one of your "undermining sisters".) Only it was the head produce guy and two stock boys in their late teens, early twenties.

Now I didn't trip, I knew darn well I was divorced. But my daughter had her back to me at first, then she turned around when I was about ten feet away. And when she screamed "Daddy!" at the top of her lungs, then the banzai hug attack small kids do, you should have seen the look on the other men's faces. The two stock boys in particular seriously found somewhere else to be. (They blushed!)

The produce guy stuck around a moment longer to make sure I wasn't a psycho ex-husband, and then high-tailed it as well.

And what I think might be cheesing some of the others off is you are beginning to sound like you think ALL men are alimentary canal termini. That's just simply not true.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    ...And what I think might be cheesing some of the others off is you are beginning to sound like you think ALL men are alimentary canal termini. That's just simply not true.
    I'm sorry if I'm sounding that way, and I do agree not all men are bad.

I did point this out:

Men who are shopping for real are quick about getting their groceries (or whatever), absorbed in the task, get the stuff, make a beeline for checkout.
    There's been a "cultural" change here, very recently; formerly women did the vast majority of shopping. Go into any grocery store (especially) or even a place like Big Lot's and 90% of shoppers were female. I've lived here 20 years and got used to that (unlike Midwest, which I recall as definitely gender-mixed shopping).

Now, very recently, it's a lot of men in grocery stores. Most of them mind their business, get what they need, never ask me about a product (I wouldn't mind answering an honest query), head for checkout. No problem.

But there is a developing problem with some unsavory sorts coming in to shop, and they're making ruses to get female attention. It's nearly *every time* I shop now; at least once, maybe twice.

I don't appreciate it at all. I'm going about my business, thinking about the day or what to fix for dinner. I dislike being interrupted in my thoughts, and if that happens it'd better be legit (is this brand better than that other? have you tried this product? can I ask your advice?), and not some juvenile attempt at flirting.

I don't go grocery shopping to make lady friends either.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2013-Jun-21 at 10:48 PM.

Well, in my opinion it's just a step above auto-mutilation to avoid un-wanted attention, but in Japan they have come up with pantyhose that make your legs look seriously hairy to discourage men.

I somehow think I'd prefer it if you just tased them.

I would say some people cheat and not assume it's a majority or any specific kind of person. (Other than a thoughtless one. Open relationships are one thing; cheating is another.) However, I would also say that there are men out there who think that all women are deliberately leading them on, and those men were never taught respect for women in their youths. There are also some women who are deliberately leading men on that they have no interesting in following through with, and they were never taught respect for men. Or, in all likelihood, themselves. I think it's a serious societal problem, and whining about it online is of limited benefit to anyone.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Ah Gillian, tired of being pregnant are we?

Yes, but not relevant to that little rant, thank you.

"You can't erase icing."

The really creepy "AnastasiaDate.com" ads that've been running on cable lately. (Link is to Wikipedia) It's some kind of Russian mail order bride outfit. Not trivial because they're taking advantage of both the women and the men. Smarmy.

And, come to think of it, the "Christian Mingle" ones are almost as bad. The song they play is really a put-down to women.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Texas, too close to roughly two million people
    I've been getting so many "Dating Site" email ads in my spam they're now hitting the inbox. If I didn't go to one of their sites the first two thousand times they emailed me why would I change now?

I'm married, wife's pregnant, and I'm working on finishing a few novels so I can register copyrights while I have the chance before it's diaper duty time.

It's been a fun night here at the hotel. By fun I mean, the police left not too long ago. Because I really think there's a chance of a future law suit, I can't go into details, but generally speaking....

Beating on a friend's door and threatening them with any form of assault might be fine with some groups of people, but it's important to know that the door being beaten on is the right door, not one belonging to someone who is alone and already in a fragile frame of mind.

Things went downhill from there.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

If Graham's mother criticizes my parenting one more time . . . .

"You can't erase icing."